home

Author Topic: [WH:Fantasy] Newly started blog - Updated wyvern pictures!  (Read 3295 times)

Offline baltasar

• Members
Hello everyone long time lurker!

After 10 years pause from miniatures and painting i got the itch to try and paint again. I have never actually played the game, but saw the new Shadespire warbands and models and it caught my interest. Im trying to dust off my (bad) painting skills and painted up some old school Chaos Daemonettes and a Chaos Sorcerer.

I can see i really need to work on my wet blending and the faces of the models.
This is the result, i know the bases could be much better, but this is actually the first time im trying to base anything, using shades, and first time doing wet blends  :icon_rolleyes:

Chaos Sorc (not to happy with the base here and the sword could have smoother transition):

The daemonettes i aimed to get a unit that could be diverse but still have some kind of assembly, at some point i will properly redo some of them because im not happy with the faces and the skin tone on some of them.
Second though is that they are daemons and should not look the same if they are sculpted by Chaos/Slaanesh.

Daemonette without basing at the moment:

Daemonettes with basing:
Pink/red hair:

Blue hair:

Green hair:

Yellow:

link to my imgur album with more pictures:
https://imgur.com/a/27QLzNM

And just finish this Chaos knights armor, trying to go for a bone armor look which ill be using on one of my shadespire warbands when they arrive. Ignore the really bad sword and helmet look  :eusa_wall: these are failed attemps at doing NMM Steel  :icon_lol:

As a last thing, i got the mordheim possesed warband at ebay and just received the models so i will also work on them soon. I just need to find a good color scheme for the warband. I was thinking about black/white squares on the cloth(balaclava) but it may be way to ambitious  :icon_biggrin:

Feel free to leave any critic or comments! its always nice to get some feedback and advices from people with experience
Sorry for the photo quality, they are taken with my smartphone since i dont own a camera  :icon_redface:
With best regards
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 01:01:26 PM by baltasar »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: [WH:Fantasy] Newly started blog - insert clever title
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 03:35:33 PM »
Welcome back! :::cheers:::

Good to see this project taking shape.  On some of the older metal figures (like the first chaos foot knight shown at the top) it is good to use a metal file to sand the most obvious mold lines, yet over all I like what you're doing here. :icon_cool:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 05:54:05 PM »
Yeah, the mould line of the Chaos Sorceror got my eye too.

The pictures are taken in a very hard light, and this makes it hard to see how exactly you've painted them. But I'm seeing good colour balance and some highlights where they should be, so these must look much better in proper lighting. Possibly some more highlighting would make them pop out more.

Ha... You had registered five years earlier than me, and never posted during the time I've been active. So I don't know who should welcome whome...  :lol: Long hiatus indeed! Good to have you onboard.  :::cheers:::

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline baltasar

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 07:19:10 PM »
yeah actually im lagging proper lighting! So went outside and took some pictures in the sun.

I know about the mold lines! its really annoying, im trying to remove all off them on the newly aquired Possessed warband, but they have so many!  :icon_rolleyes:

yeah been a very long time lurker! but never had anything interesting to show, but now ill try to post some models to get feedback and become a better painter / learn new methods.

Online Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 09:44:17 PM »
I like the colour combinations on the demonettes. Would be great to see how the whole unit looks together, considering they are a diverse mix. I especially like the ‘flame’ one and some of the darker skinned with contrasting hair colour ones look great.

Welcome back to the land of the posting!
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 02:41:06 AM »
welcome back dude ...great old metal miniatures, I would start using some washes to make those models pop!! 
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline baltasar

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2018, 01:05:44 PM »
Would be great to see how the whole unit looks together, considering they are a diverse mix.

Thank you all for the great comments, here are some group fotos of the daemonettes sorry for the lighting.

The main idea was that the white cloth on all models would give them a feeling of coming from the same army, but maybe i should try something else.
Im just having some trouble seeing how a unit of deamonettes all looking the same are going to seduce several enemies which may not have the same preference in skin, color and so on but properly shouldnt think about that  :icon_rolleyes:

Here are my newly aquired Mordheim warband models, trying to remove black primer and mold lines  :icon_eek:

Im thinking about using greenstuff to make a torch for this guys, but im not sure the result will be good. What do you guys think? Should i just  do somekind of kitbash, for example give him a flail or sword or go for the torch?

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2018, 01:15:04 PM »
Welcome back! I have that old Chaos Sorcerer mini. Really like him. That's a great looking blog, I will surely follow it. :happy:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 12:12:45 PM »
Great effort on painting the models. Impressive range so far.
Nobody became a golden demon winner over night. Practice makes perfect.
The pink and green demonette reminds me of something but I cant remember what exactly

Online Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2018, 10:01:20 PM »
Kitbash a flagellant torch should be fine. Good idea though - that one pose I always found awkward.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline baltasar

• Members
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2018, 06:35:02 AM »
Thanks so much! Hope everyone is great and have been painting some models!

Sorry for the late update, i been waiting several weeks to receive 1 x primer, 1 x shadespire game, 1 x sepulchre warband for shadespire and 1 x van guards for shadespire still havent received anything. 

In the meantime i have been thinking about the color schemes for the warbands and came up with the following:

Orruks - Orange and black/white patterns on armor parts (maybe i should change the black to something else?)
Khorne - Skeleton armor and red plates (properly light skin tone)
Stormcast - Properly blue and NMM gold but im not complete sold on the blue - Any suggestions welcome!
Skellies - deep purple and used bones look - How do you paint rust without any rust paint? can you do it in NMM?
range stormcast - Properly blue and NMM gold but im not complete sold on the blue - Any suggestions welcome!

In the meantime i received the Orks for the shadespire game, and have startet painting a test model.

Any C+C are most welcome  :::cheers:::

I am not to happy about the wetblending for the orange armor, i think it should to be lighter and have a "bigger" transition to the darker 'orangy' armor.
im also having a little trouble getting the paint to stick properly my yellow is very thin and runny.

Besides that im liking the details on the model a lot. Need to figure out how to make the weapons look great..
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 07:11:22 AM by baltasar »

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2018, 12:26:02 PM »
I too have orange green skins [in this case a speed freak army]. Problem is orange, yellow and white are tricky colours to use due to the thin pigments.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2018, 01:29:20 PM »
looks good, did you use wash on this one?
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline baltasar

• Members
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2018, 05:28:44 PM »
I too have orange green skins [in this case a speed freak army]. Problem is orange, yellow and white are tricky colours to use due to the thin pigments.

Yeah i when i triede google it, everyone on the forums wrote it was "difficult" colors to work with, to make matters worse i actually mixed my own orange color because i dont own any  :icon_rolleyes:

looks good, did you use wash on this one?

No washes except on skulls.. What are you thinking about?

Edit:
here are 2 pictures taken out in the sun, maybe a little easier to see the wet blending here..

« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 05:35:51 PM by baltasar »

Offline baltasar

• Members
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2018, 01:52:54 PM »
Late update, havent been painting anything in several months. Today i got 2 weeks summer vacation and the weather in Denmark is crazy  :icon_eek:  Really hot compared to the last couple of summers, so its been tough doing anything else then laying in the sun and drinking beer  :icon_smile:

I got a good deal on an old Orc and Goblin battalion + orc boss on wyvern + 10 black orcs. So naturally i took the deal and now im working on the wyvern. I not sure the skin is the right color, pretty happy with the scales and the posion on the tail. The warlord riding the wyvern is in pretty bad shape so now im trying to save him and am properly going to use another head then the normal one.

Wyvern progress can be seen below:

Some of the things i need to do:
1) highlight the horns more, they are to dark now
2) decide if I like the poison veins i did now
3) Decide on wing color
4) decide i the dark red to dark orange on the skin is OK??

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2018, 01:45:34 PM »
I like the veins, but this big lizard would seriously benefit from some Nuln Oil. Such a great model!
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

Gneisenau

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2018, 09:09:47 PM »
I'm with Xath. Those veins look great!

Offline baltasar

• Members
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2018, 07:26:37 PM »
I like the veins, but this big lizard would seriously benefit from some Nuln Oil. Such a great model!
Where would you apply the nuln oil? On the skin?
What about the wings, any suggestions on the wings?
I think i will keep the veins for now.

Sendt fra min EVA-L09 med Tapatalk

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2018, 09:14:02 AM »
I would indeed put Nuln Oil on the skin.

The membranes could use some highlighting. Now they're just dark.

Gneisenau

Offline baltasar

• Members
Re: [WH:Fantasy] Newly started blog - Updated wyvern pictures
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2018, 01:01:01 PM »
So used my vacation to do other stuff then paint, but on this last day i did some highlights, basing and shading.

The wyvern now looks like this:

Im not sure the "highlights" on the wings should be there.. Maybe ill just paint it over.. Not completely satisfied.

Need to learn NMM to do the blade at the tail and then learn to paint some rust on the blade  :icon_rolleyes:  Lets see when i have the time for it.

Im waiting on some color before i can redo horns since i would like them to be a little less dark ( im not sure it look OK now)

The rider got a head replacement and is now being primed.

Edit:

3 bonus picture of the first stone troll need to paint 2 more. Hope the blue color can tie the wyvern and the trolls a bit together  :icon_question:

« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 01:25:49 PM by baltasar »