home

Author Topic: Game of Thrones - Here be spoilers!!!!!!!!  (Read 245133 times)

Offline S.O.F

• Members
Re: Game of Thrones - Here be spoilers!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2700 on: May 09, 2019, 02:12:37 AM »
So I've been rewatching the early seasons and it only makes me feel way worse about the newer ones and the current one in particular. Those were well paced, with great dialog, and of some semblance logic. This new season has been so infuriating, sure the new one didn't hurt my head as much as the last episode the end of it surely tried too.

What really broke me of this new episode was the bit about the survivors. Watching last week, unless you had a perception score of 1 or something, it seemed like huge swaths were dead and limited numbers left. Then wave the hey that was for fun visuals half the Dothraki and half the Unsullied are alive, wtf that isn't what I just watched.

Honestly the best pay off would have been in The Long Night if while rough somehow the living host was holding. Sprinkle in some walkers close to the front for command and control that dragon glass arrows keep taking out which then yield the Night's King trying to break the stalemate with the undead dragon gambit. Have the death and the loss but make it look sensible and if you want the gratuity make it be a real boss fight in the godswood. Have the two living dragon fuck off when snow powers get too much and then make it a cool showdown.

Still this show is irreparably torn apart for a long narrative. I shall cling to those great early seasons and try to forget the rest. 
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 02:22:12 AM by S.O.F »
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #2701 on: May 09, 2019, 02:53:01 AM »
Side note point. So in the Battle of Black Water they have a lot of pretty good scene where you drop rocks on opponents, sure this won't kill Wights but heavy items dropped on the dead coming up might slow them down. I mean the undead don't have the best balance, those inner ear bits don't preserve well, a rock or two could buy some time for the defenders. Shame they didn't render animal fats or something to pour on them.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #2702 on: May 09, 2019, 08:37:03 AM »
What really broke me of this new episode was the bit about the survivors. Watching last week, unless you had a perception score of 1 or something, it seemed like huge swaths were dead and limited numbers left. Then wave the hey that was for fun visuals half the Dothraki and half the Unsullied are alive, wtf that isn't what I just watched.

In the war room I think they did mention that all Dothraki were lost, but indeed half the Unsullied were still around. and half of Winterfells host as I recall and some others.
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #2703 on: May 09, 2019, 10:59:00 AM »
In the war room I think they did mention that all Dothraki were lost, but indeed half the Unsullied were still around. and half of Winterfells host as I recall and some others.

Nope just rewatched that scene it is a flat 50% all contingents. Greyworm and Jon both say it and remove pieces from the board then randoms remove half the Vale markers and half the dothraki cavalry markers.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #2704 on: May 09, 2019, 11:02:34 AM »
I'm sure many were wounded but are battle capable.
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

• Members
« Reply #2705 on: May 09, 2019, 11:38:05 AM »
well the transition between ep 3 and 4 would have been smoother if there was just a small scene where the survivors of the onslaught came out of hiding or their small pockets of determined resistance fighting spots to celebrate the fall of the undead army.. then at least we would have some idea of more people alive then just the main cast.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #2706 on: May 09, 2019, 12:57:24 PM »
And twice as convinced Jaime kills Cercei after this week.

Ah, but Arya is also on a mission, and Jaime just galloped down the same road. It might be that she has a go at Cersei wearing Jaime's face.

But a double whammy of 2 big bads on her account seems too much in this now rather trope laden GoT. So probably a failed attempt and then maybe Jon for the killing blow?

My guess is she tries to take out Cersei, the Mountain kills her, Hound kills Mountain, tries to kill Cersei, Jaime kills Hound then kills Cersei and somehow Jaime dies too, likely stabbed by Cersei.

well the transition between ep 3 and 4 would have been smoother if there was just a small scene where the survivors of the onslaught came out of hiding or their small pockets of determined resistance fighting spots to celebrate the fall of the undead army.. then at least we would have some idea of more people alive then just the main cast.

Agree!
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #2707 on: May 10, 2019, 04:44:27 AM »

...after being overwhelmed by a WAVE of undead as was witnessed in other scenes. Not to mention the flames were all extinguished, and although we've seen Unsullied in the following episode, we haven't seen any Dothraki. I've be further disappointed if more than a handful of them survived.

Ah, but Arya is also on a mission, and Jaime just galloped down the same road. It might be that she has a go at Cersei wearing Jaime's face.

But a double whammy of 2 big bads on her account seems too much in this now rather trope laden GoT. So probably a failed attempt and then maybe Jon for the killing blow?

My guess is she tries to take out Cersei, the Mountain kills her, Hound kills Mountain, tries to kill Cersei, Jaime kills Hound then kills Cersei and somehow Jaime dies too, likely stabbed by Cersei.

My take: Hound realizes Mountain isn't even his brother anymore & loses interest.Before he can even make up his mind, though, Arya kills zombie-Mountain because she's got the moves of Obryn, but more self discipline. Arya plans on killing Cercei, but the full-of-hate Spaghetti Wester(os) Jaime gets there first. (Cue Good, Bad, Ugly soundtrack....) Hound drinks beer, eats chickens, ceases giving a fuck about anyone/anything else and rides off into the sunset.

:mrgreen:

• Members
« Reply #2708 on: May 10, 2019, 07:44:47 AM »

...after being overwhelmed by a WAVE of undead as was witnessed in other scenes. Not to mention the flames were all extinguished, and although we've seen Unsullied in the following episode, we haven't seen any Dothraki. I've be further disappointed if more than a handful of them survived.

My take: Hound realizes Mountain isn't even his brother anymore & loses interest.Before he can even make up his mind, though, Arya kills zombie-Mountain because she's got the moves of Obryn, but more self discipline. Arya plans on killing Cercei, but the full-of-hate Spaghetti Wester(os) Jaime gets there first. (Cue Good, Bad, Ugly soundtrack....) Hound drinks beer, eats chickens, ceases giving a fuck about anyone/anything else and rides off into the sunset.

hahahaha  :biggriin:

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #2709 on: May 10, 2019, 10:58:18 AM »

Thats a good prediction too. But they wont run it like that as a surprise that Jaime gets there first. Will need to be a bunch of dialogue first between Jaime and Cersei.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #2710 on: May 10, 2019, 12:06:40 PM »
Remind me, cos I am dumb and lazy - in the "eyes" prophecy, who do the brown and green eyes represent? Are they peeps Arya already killed? Or can they help us guess the plot?

It would seem a terrible waste of plot if she doesn't at least try to kill someone while wearing someone else's face?

Also, here's a long shot - I like the idea of the Iron Throne itself being destroyed, maybe by dragon fire. It would make a nice metaphor for the pointlessness of the whole mess

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #2711 on: May 10, 2019, 01:04:31 PM »
I genuinely thought she would take the face of a zombie horde soldier, then get close to the Night King and assassinate him.

I agree with the points made re: silly things in the latest episode, but I can nearly always come up with excuses. There's no excuse for the garrison in the island castle (forgot it's name) not signalling their approaching fleet with smoke or whatever to warn them of the enemy fleet close by.

Stuff like that really frustrates me. They could have done that, and then still fought the same battle, because Queen Daenarys would not have known the Iron Fleet had bolt throwers. Instead they went with the lazy surprise of a bolt suddenly appearing.

Actually, they could still have done that.

Signal from castle, all is not well.

Suspicion of fleet.

Danny flies close to see from sky what it is (why not?)

Bolt shoots up and strikes dragon.

I should advise them on their scripts.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #2712 on: May 10, 2019, 06:54:20 PM »
I saw an alleged script leak from reddit...I really hope it doesn't fully pan out the way it said would happen with the very end.
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #2713 on: May 11, 2019, 04:12:23 AM »
Remind me, cos I am dumb and lazy - in the "eyes" prophecy, who do the brown and green eyes represent? Are they peeps Arya already killed? Or can they help us guess the plot?

I've assumed it was a reference to her association with the Many Faced God in general (including wearing other faces, etc.)

FWIW, I've read some fan theories that "Arya" is currently just the Waif wearing the dead/former Arya's face. Her personality has certainly changed since her duel in the dark with the Waif.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #2714 on: May 11, 2019, 04:33:43 AM »
Character I most want to see stabbed in the face: Qyburn.

What if "Arya" really is an agent of the god of death, recgnized as such by an agent of the god of light, and on a mission to kill those mortals who dare to presume to deny death his rightful due? Namely the Night King, for one. And at Kings Landing not Cercei or the Mountain, but Qyburn?

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #2715 on: May 12, 2019, 12:24:15 AM »
I find it amazing the show is simultaneously ponderous ly slow, and also feels way too rushed.

I'm up to season 6 episode 7 with the wife, but know what's going on in season 8.

Season 6 has been bad. I did enjoy the hodor reveal. And dany burning all the khals was a cool moment, although maybe its just a blessed relief the shows not wasting more time in meereen. The entire sparrow plot line is shit.

In terms of season 8, the scale makes things look crap. Eurons fleet is too small! They needed 1000s of ballistas, wihh most missing.

Not 5, all laser guided.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #2716 on: May 12, 2019, 06:11:53 AM »
although maybe its just a blessed relief the shows not wasting more time in meereen. The entire sparrow plot line is shit.

1. The whole tedious Meereen plot-bog is probably why I didn't like the Daenerys plotline in either the books or the show.

2. I thought the Sparrow plotline was OK, but the way both the above Meereen and Sparrow plot-lines ended felt like, "well, dug ourselves into these plot-pits and don't know know how to resolve them so, fuck-it -- let's just give up on them and make some unexpected and unrelated "deus ex machina" sort of crap to save the meandering story and move on.

The way GRRM was writing, the books were expending to more and more sub-plots the further things went. The last book seemed to increase in tangential sub-plots rather than start easing into a denouement. I assume the "last book(s)" haven't been written because he realized he would need to expand it by 12 more books just to tie up the sub-plots he kept creating. At least if he wanted them to have the same depth as when he created and developed them. The writers/producers of the TV show, faced with the same dilemma but a definite deadline, decided to abruptly come up with lame five-minute excuses for killing off all the subplots and end the show without it's architect's help.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #2717 on: May 12, 2019, 08:54:14 AM »
Yes, I think it's fair to remember who's fault it is that it bloated beyond its initial quality in the first place.

Pass the machete.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #2718 on: May 12, 2019, 08:57:57 PM »
The arya storyline in S6 is also wack

Pass the machete.

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #2719 on: May 12, 2019, 11:02:59 PM »
Not 5, all laser guided.

And semi-automatic.
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #2720 on: May 13, 2019, 02:31:09 AM »
Fire and Blood  :icon_eek:
― Jake the Dog

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #2721 on: May 13, 2019, 04:00:02 AM »
The last few episodes have been extremely disappointing, this one followed suit.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #2722 on: May 13, 2019, 04:02:31 AM »
I quite liked this episode to tell the truth.
― Jake the Dog

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #2723 on: May 13, 2019, 05:21:55 AM »
Happy Mother (of dragon) 's Day. Burn everything to the ground!

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #2724 on: May 13, 2019, 08:18:58 AM »
It's turned into the TV equivalent of a michael bay movie.

Special effects, "cool factor" and visuals prioritised above all else.

Pass the machete.