home

Author Topic: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (update: out)  (Read 296584 times)

Offline steveb

• Members
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog
« Reply #300 on: August 27, 2015, 12:15:55 AM »
that is a loely figure, a little drilling and pinning will see through. good luck steveb

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #301 on: September 04, 2015, 09:40:44 PM »
Been busy with other things this past week, not much progress on miniatures. But I've still tried to find some time to do a little painting. Working on this...

More importantly... I finally shipped my Pleasant Surprise this afternoon!  :::cheers:::

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #302 on: September 05, 2015, 08:12:04 PM »
I've been slowly hunting down various larger than human skeletons. Here's the skeletal fruits of my necromantic labors.

The big fella in the back is the Reaper Colossal Skeleton (Bones version.) Nice figure, and nice price for the Bones version. Almost too large for regular gaming.

The shorter figures on either end are the skeletal ogres from Ral Partha Europe. I really like these, and would like to find more skeletons that match this size, so I could form a unit of at least four without duplicate figures

The three in the middle are (from left to right) Skeletal Cyclops from Grenadier/Mirliton, Skeletal Giant from Reaper (arm not glued on yet,) and Skeletal Troll from RAFM (weapon broke off in the package, I need to fix it.) These three scale pretty well together, and all three are well sculpted and well cast.

One more on my list is this from Iron Wind Metals (so possibly available from Ral Partha Europe as well?) I have no idea how large it is: http://ironwindmetals.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=8186

Still keeping my eye open for other options.

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #303 on: September 06, 2015, 08:08:34 AM »
Second from the left, Cyclops with arms raised must be an old model, since it's the same as one I've had for well over 20 years.  Never knew who made it, as can't remember where I bought it.

Sent from my thingamajig via wadyamacallit

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #304 on: September 07, 2015, 07:06:25 AM »
Oh yes, definitely that old. Still a good model, in my opinion. Started painting it tonight.

Offline RE.Lee

• Members
  • Imperial trauma surgeon
« Reply #305 on: September 07, 2015, 11:11:25 AM »
Loving the bright colours - a very nice army you have there!
cheers,
Lee

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #306 on: September 08, 2015, 07:27:12 PM »
Thanks!

One of the great things about these "bare bones" (or nearly so) skeletons is that they paint up quickly. Finished another unit of skeletons, plus the three giants.

I forsee some "desperately outnumbered defenders" battles in the Marienbugers' future. Quick roll call, counted in units.

The Forces of the Somewhat Less Than Living:

7x Skeleton Infantry
1x Skeleton Guard
3x Skeleton Giants
1x Undead Dragon
3x Undeadish Infantry
1x Undeadish Cavalry
2x Undeadish Ogres
1x Undeadish Giant
1x Vermin Swarm
1x Vermin Beast
1x Jabberwock

Partially Complete:
1x Skeleton Infantry
1x Skeletal Knights (will they ever get painted?!)

Field Army of the Generally Accepted as Being Alive According to Common Definitions:

4x Swordsmen
2x Spearmen
1x Handgunners
1x Greatswords
1x Knights
1x Pistoliers
1x Ogres
1x Speardwarfs
1x Wood Elf Scouts/Archers
1x War Wagon
?? Giants
plus misc. artillery (not sure about working these into the game)

Partially Complete:
1x Handgun Dwarfs
1x Elf Light Cavalry
1x Great Orcs
1x Halfling Scouts

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #307 on: September 09, 2015, 04:32:15 AM »
One more pic. Finally finished this crewman for the War Wagon after... years. Something must be wrong with me. I had planned on painting him in bright, clashing colors, but ended up with a more subdued palette to go with the wagon.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #308 on: September 09, 2015, 10:48:20 AM »
Skeletons look great, as does the war wagon crew member. :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #309 on: September 09, 2015, 07:26:19 PM »
Yarp!  steveb

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #310 on: September 09, 2015, 10:39:36 PM »
That is a fantastic undead army there! I love the idea of a last stand as the various undead swarm over the remaining living defenders.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #311 on: September 11, 2015, 05:44:47 PM »
I think I may have to get one of these.

...and a few tridents for the next time I convert Manann priests or themed figures, so I don't have to make my own again!

That is a fantastic undead army there! I love the idea of a last stand as the various undead swarm over the remaining living defenders.

(but with skeletons instead of zombies) :biggriin:

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #312 on: September 12, 2015, 01:31:01 PM »
awesome work as always dude
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #313 on: September 14, 2015, 08:37:00 PM »

I've been procrastinating on these, but really think that the Undead need at least one unit. I've painted up two to see how they look & get a feel for the process of painting them. I really like these figures, aside from some of the skulls sculpted into the armour, and the bat-winged shields. I did end up replacing some of shields and cutting off a few bat wings from helms. I'm already tempted to get a second unit of these. (Still tempted to do a second unit of the converted heavy skeletal infantry, too.)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #314 on: September 15, 2015, 02:16:04 AM »
I like 'em!  It's probably your color scheme. :icon_cool:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #315 on: September 15, 2015, 03:10:10 AM »
They do look great.

so, if you snipped of the helmet wings does that mean we won't see a goofy bat design on the shields either?  :engel:

actually, what is your plan for the shields on all these undead (sorry, might have missed you discussing this earlier)
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #316 on: September 15, 2015, 03:43:22 AM »
I left a few winged helms on, and did use a few of the stylized shields, but not many.

So far my plan for the shields, standards, etc. is to leave them black. The concept being that such things are beyond the concern of the undead. It seems a bit odd that every single vampire, liche, and necromancer seems to develop a cliche taste for covering everything with skulls and bats. I figure, most of the skeletons are going to be raised and not immediately be sent to the Fashion Consultant of the Dead for a makeover or go on a shopping spree at the local Halloween Outlet...

...although a diorama featuring some plain skeletons going into a tent on one side, and coming out covered in skull & bat decorations on the other, might be a fun project.

I also like that it heightens the contrast between my two armies, with the Marienburgers being more colorful and adorned with detailed standards, etc.

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #317 on: September 15, 2015, 03:58:32 AM »
your army, do as you please obviously. But, standards (and to a lesser extent the shield emblem) also have the purpose of helping the supreme commander in keeping track where his troops are. So that should apply to undead as well...unless you propose some kind of total magical awareness. anyway, sorry, don't want to get you off track. Keep painting please. 
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #318 on: September 15, 2015, 05:15:07 AM »
unless you propose some kind of total magical awareness.

That is along the lines of how I imagine it. Not necessarily total awareness, but just that the general/controller can see a particular unit and doesn't need to identify it as "Unit XYZ," but can simply extend their will in that direction.

anyway, sorry, don't want to get you off track. Keep painting please.

No worries. I spend more time internally working out the project and jotting down notes than actually playing. So this is like the most "gaming" I get at the moment.   :happy:

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #319 on: September 17, 2015, 04:28:59 AM »
Great orc mercenary. Another case of finishing off a mostly completed unit. I also wantef to do something colorful before getting back to that unit of black knights.

The  photo is a bit overlit. Took it quickly before heading out of town for the day. I'll get a pic of him with the others (already painted) when I'm back home tomorrow night.

I do think I need a little break from painting undead. So I should pick an Empire/mercenary unit to do after the knights. I have minimal missile troops, so maybe Marauder dwarfs with handguns (and a pair of swivel guns)? Crossbowmen from the Perry plastics? Birdmen of Catrazza (do they even count?) Melee options are Foundry landsknecht pike, old Empire halberdiers, another unit of Marauder dwarf spear/pike or some Front Rank billmen.

I think I may have a few other things packed away, too.

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #320 on: September 17, 2015, 12:33:39 PM »
Great orc mercenary. Another case of finishing off a mostly completed unit. I also wantef to do something colorful before getting back to that unit of black knights.

The  photo is a bit overlit. Took it quickly before heading out of town for the day. I'll get a pic of him with the others (already painted) when I'm back home tomorrow night.

I do think I need a little break from painting undead. So I should pick an Empire/mercenary unit to do after the knights. I have minimal missile troops, so maybe Marauder dwarfs with handguns (and a pair of swivel guns)? Crossbowmen from the Perry plastics? Birdmen of Catrazza (do they even count?) Melee options are Foundry landsknecht pike, old Empire halberdiers, another unit of Marauder dwarf spear/pike or some Front Rank billmen.

I think I may have a few other things packed away, too.

fantastic Orc, in some of the earlier editions of the game you could hire Orc mercenaries, so empire garb is appropriate. I cannot wait to see the rest of the Orcs.
In regards to the missile troops, I vote for the marauder dwarves with handguns they are another great group of castings I can't wait to se painted up.  The birdmen do not count, in fact they are totally worthless so if you want you can bundle them up and send them to me,  :icon_smile:  steveb   p.s. I really like your skellies.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #321 on: September 17, 2015, 01:01:48 PM »

I've got him, and lots of his wonderful buddies from the Foundry range sculpted by Kev Adams - I saw some greens of new models to fit the range at Salute in April.

Dodgy pic but an idea.

Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #322 on: September 17, 2015, 01:50:23 PM »
Yeah, in my Althammer setting, no racial cliche is 100%. So some orcs just might be smart enough to figure out that if they can focus their brute strength and violence against select targets, they can even get paid for doing it as mercenaries! And Marienburg is less more, eh, racially diverse than most of the Empire. Of course, they only employ the orc mercenaries outside the city itself. And I will include animosity rules for orcs, dwarfs, and elves on the battlefield at the same time.

The birdmen do not count, in fact they are totally worthless so if you want you can bundle them up and send them to me,  :icon_smile:

Haha. Sorry, no. I've already been forming plans in the back of my head for some extra large/heavy flyers, inspired by your royal air force.  :-D

I've got him, and lots of his wonderful buddies from the Foundry range sculpted by Kev Adams - I saw some greens of new models to fit the range at Salute in April.

I've got a total of six of the older ones, and have been eyeing a few more at a local shop. But unfortunately with my limited budget, they are hard to fit into my plans. Otherwise I'd start collecting the entire set!

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #323 on: September 17, 2015, 03:50:18 PM »

I've got a total of six of the older ones, and have been eyeing a few more at a local shop. But unfortunately with my limited budget, they are hard to fit into my plans. Otherwise I'd start collecting the entire set!

They were 'redundant' or OOP for quite a while at the end of the 90s and early 2000s and I picked up several of the old yellow card blisters at shows in bargain bucket deals where they were around £3 or £4 a blister and buy 5 for 4 as well.

Then in the last couple of years Foundry seem to have rediscovered them and now they are around £8 EACH for the Orcs and the larger ones which were originally called Merc Ogres can be £11 or more.
They're on the Warmonger site and have been repackaged and some of them have been renamed.

Timbor over in Canada, White Knight and I think Akbar in Sweden are other members who have collections.
I did notice that Timbor had ones that I didn't and I suspect there was stock over in North America of some models that had run out over here in the UK.

I have been researching these for a long while and I have a list of some 82 models
There may be a few that were technically 'War Orcs' but have some puffy/frilly clothing to make them compatible.

I've also compared notes and pics with Foundry to get an idea of what moulds they have been able to find. I seem to be missing about 10 of what I would deem the original sets.
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #324 on: September 18, 2015, 04:30:00 AM »
I'm mostly interested in the big, flamboyant puff & slash Great Orcs, though the Mercenary Orcs on the Warmonger site fit with that. Not as interested in the War Orcs. Given the prices, I'm also not too interested in picking up any that are essentially duplicates with a head swap. (For example, I believe there is at least one other version of the orc I just painted, same body, different head.)

At any rate, I have a measly six Great Orcs, below are the painted ones together, followed by the two unpainted, mostly here so I can refer back to it some day if I pick up some more and need to see which ones I already have.  :wink: