home

Author Topic: Gamer thread  (Read 789979 times)

Offline Demonslayer

• Members
Re: Gamer thread
« Reply #10550 on: March 31, 2017, 11:46:24 AM »
Ok, if you ever want to experience a culture shock of biblical proportions, I recommend you play Sonic Generations, then Sonic CD. Both are available on steam, by the way.

Sonic Generations was a great game, even if the final boss was a bit confusing and the 3D platforming sections were a bit difficult to control- not the speed sections, mind you- although the last one might just be me being terrible at 3D platforming. The first three levels especially were made of nostalgia- and I absolutely loved the updated music for the first boss fight.

Then I played Sonic CD, and sweet Sigmar did I dislike that game. It came out after Sonic 2 but it was a big step backwards for the series. Mind you, I only played Sonic 1, 2 and 3&knuckles back in the day, since I didn't own a Sega CD, but while Sonic CD was released inbetween 2 and 3, the level design, music, special stages, technology and everything else about it feels worse than Sonic 1. Don't know if the Sega CD was just a bad system, I never really heard about it until now, but who in their right mind thought it would be a good idea to have players look for hidden signposts and machines in a game that is about reaching the goal as fast as possible?

Sure I can spend six minutes in each act trying to first find a "Past" signpost, then a spot where I can run fast enough long enough to do the timewarp, THEN find the hidden robo transporter and break it to get the good ending (if I do it in every single level), but this is a Sonic game, you're not supposed to take that long to finish an act. The time travel bit is a nice concept, but so very, very poorly executed. Of course I can skip the timewarping entirely and just focus on getting all seven emeralds from the special stages, but the special stages are horrible. It is a typical 3D game from a time when 3D just didn't work, and they shouldn't have tried to implement it. Sonic 1's special stages were fun. Sonic 2's special stages were fun, if a bit repetitive. Sonic 3's special stages were awesome. How could the developers fail so badly with the special stages after making two games where they worked just fine? Plus there's no super sonic reward, you just get a good or bad ending, which are almost identical anyway.

Anyway, I finished the game in two evenings or so (which felt like three weeks), and I'm just disappointed. The metal sonic race at the end is more frustrating than it is challenging, and the music that plays during it is just terrible. The bottomless pit at the end of the final act is just plain stupid- a big section of bumpers, springs and disappearing platforms, which you need to cross a big pit and get into a small corridor- which is periodically closed off with a crusher. And no, you can't see whether the crusher is open or closed from where you jump at it, and no, you can't time your jump in the first place because you start your jump on a disappearing platform, and the only way to get there is to launch yourself via multiple springs, and MAYBE you even get catapulted into a moving bumper, so there's no way to end up where you want to go. And if you make it to the crusher? Congratulations, nine times out of ten it is either closed or closing, meaning there's a big chance you'll either fall into the bottomless pit or get crushed underneath.

But if you succeed, you'll be treated to an annoying miniboss (three lighting bugs you can only hit at very specific times), and an insanely easy end boss right afterwards. Up to act three I was considering replaying the game after finishing it in order to get the good ending, but at this point I'm just happy to be done with it.

[/rant]

Playing Sonic 4, episode 1 now. It is fun.

Wartales online campaigns, dedicated to bringing you the best in online warhammer campaigns!

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #10551 on: March 31, 2017, 03:51:51 PM »
So, Warhammer Total War 2 is announced.  WTF?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXxe897bW-A
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Demonslayer

• Members
« Reply #10552 on: March 31, 2017, 04:05:53 PM »
Oh that looks great. Except for the Slann flailing about- aren't those supposed to only maybe blink once in a millennium?

Too bad it is a separate game and not an expansion- would've been fun to travel from the Old world to the new and back...
Wartales online campaigns, dedicated to bringing you the best in online warhammer campaigns!

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #10553 on: March 31, 2017, 04:31:51 PM »
So, Warhammer Total War 2 is announced.  WTF?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXxe897bW-A

they literally replaced warhammer fantasy with warhammer total war, didn't they
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #10554 on: March 31, 2017, 04:54:31 PM »
I'm wondering if down the line they'll make it linkable. Looks pretty epic though, makes me miss the old world even more!
Quote from: PhillyT
Magic does not have nearly the same problems with power levels as magic. 

Offline Baron von Klatz

• Members
  • warhammer> All other works of mankind
« Reply #10555 on: March 31, 2017, 05:25:36 PM »
From everything I heard they will be linkable. So if you own both 1 and 2 the maps will both be playable on the same game.

Partly agreed on the Old World nostalgia. I'm so into AoS my head-canon was immediately Eldritch council expedition feuding with Exile smugglers while Seraphon took action to keep them out of forbidden territory. So for me, onward to the realm of life! :-D

Oh that looks great. Except for the Slann flailing about- aren't those supposed to only maybe blink once in a millennium?

Indeed, same complaint. :-P

Feel sorry for CA, those history fans are insane. The fact CA has another team work in on a historical title seems to be lost on them.

"No battle is ever meaningless for all life is merely death post-poned"
-elector count of the Empire.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #10556 on: April 01, 2017, 10:55:04 PM »
I don't care for any of the races in this game so I suppose I can just ignore it.  Skaven I suppose... well... now that I am thinking about it I guess its not so bad.  I could see having fun with this.  Bowling through Dark Elves with my minotaurs would be fun.
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #10557 on: April 02, 2017, 02:09:42 PM »
Playing as duos or in teams of 3-4 is amazing fun in PU Battlegrounds. Solos too I guess, but teamfights have a more interesting dynamic to them IMO. Favourite gun: M16 with ACOG and muzzle brake. So good! AK with red dot for close range.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #10558 on: April 02, 2017, 05:29:29 PM »
Ghost Recon Wildlands is okay single player and terrific with three of your friends.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #10559 on: April 05, 2017, 08:18:36 AM »
Ghost Recon Wildlands is okay single player and terrific with three of your friends.

I've heard that it's really, really good in co-op.
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Brad

• Members
« Reply #10560 on: April 08, 2017, 08:06:02 PM »
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hellpoint/hellpoint-a-dark-sci-fi-rpg

There's a demo, for those who like to try before they buy.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #10561 on: April 10, 2017, 08:30:58 AM »
I've decided to catch up on some DLC's for the games, that I own. First it's Far Cry 4 and Escape from Durgesh and Valley of the Yetis. Escape is rubbish - the difficulty level is absurd and it was clearly aimed at a co-op play. Too bad almost no one plays FC4 anymore. Yetis are ok. I like the horror angle and the ability to expand your base, which you also have to defend. That's a nice one. Next I'll try to tackle the Freedom Cry DLC for AC4.
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

Gneisenau

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #10562 on: April 10, 2017, 10:53:51 AM »

I've heard that it's really, really good in co-op.

It is.  Single player is fine.  Nothing special, but enjoyable enough and offers plenty of options.  But if you can get 3 of your buddies together, the four player co op is unreal fun.

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #10563 on: April 19, 2017, 03:28:59 PM »
Is Battlefront worth getting considering the new one comes out this November?
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #10564 on: April 23, 2017, 10:24:37 PM »
PU Battlegrounds is getting pretty huge, and deservedly so. It's simply epic fun, especially in duos or team play. So many great moments!

Today we had a squad game (4 players per squad) where we started looting all the way in the north of the map at the start of the game, only for the safe zones to appear progressively further south. Like, WAY south. After making the zone twice (barely) and driving straight through a town that had a huge cross-street firefight going on (adding a bit of drive-by mayhem on the way) we realized we had to cross a super long bridge to south island... because there were no boats anywhere to be seen on the beach. And on the middle of the bridge, another team had made a barrier out of cars and camped behind it. We jumped out of the car about 100 meters from the barricade, took what cover there was and started trading fire, all the while the clock was ticking down for the next safe zone - they were in it, we were not.

So I called for everybody to concentrate fire on the barrier cars, which went up in fireballs after all four rifles pummeled them. Then we threw smokes to obscure vision of the right lane. Two teammates kept shooting, me and the third guy advanced with the smoke, throwing more smokes and finally making it to them. Then the fight finished close range with SMGs and shotguns. We barely made the safe zone.

Admittedly, we didn't win the round in the end about 10 minutes later, but we came in second. And the whole thing felt great.

Highly recommend it!

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #10565 on: April 23, 2017, 11:12:49 PM »
I've been watching people play it and it seems pretty great. I've got to ask though, what sets it apart from the culling/H1Z1 king of the hill, and all the other games that seem so similar?

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #10566 on: April 23, 2017, 11:16:22 PM »
PU Battlegrounds is getting pretty huge, and deservedly so. It's simply epic fun, especially in duos or team play. So many great moments!

Today we had a squad game (4 players per squad) where we started looting all the way in the north of the map at the start of the game, only for the safe zones to appear progressively further south. Like, WAY south. After making the zone twice (barely) and driving straight through a town that had a huge cross-street firefight going on (adding a bit of drive-by mayhem on the way) we realized we had to cross a super long bridge to south island... because there were no boats anywhere to be seen on the beach. And on the middle of the bridge, another team had made a barrier out of cars and camped behind it. We jumped out of the car about 100 meters from the barricade, took what cover there was and started trading fire, all the while the clock was ticking down for the next safe zone - they were in it, we were not.

So I called for everybody to concentrate fire on the barrier cars, which went up in fireballs after all four rifles pummeled them. Then we threw smokes to obscure vision of the right lane. Two teammates kept shooting, me and the third guy advanced with the smoke, throwing more smokes and finally making it to them. Then the fight finished close range with SMGs and shotguns. We barely made the safe zone.

Admittedly, we didn't win the round in the end about 10 minutes later, but we came in second. And the whole thing felt great.

Highly recommend it!

Omg! This sounds freakin amazing!! Sounds like a game I could get into.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #10567 on: April 24, 2017, 07:58:54 AM »
I've been watching people play it and it seems pretty great. I've got to ask though, what sets it apart from the culling/H1Z1 king of the hill, and all the other games that seem so similar?

It's a lot less arcadey than H1Z1, but more accessible than Arma3 BR. Let's use cars as an example. H1Z1, you need a car late game. You drive up to someones tree pedal to the floor, jump out while flying past and go at it. In PUBG, You jump out of a car at speed, you take damage / die. They're loud and obvious, tyres can be shot, you can be sniped out of them. So cars can be crucial for getting somewhere fast, but you're always relieved when you can finally ditch it and stop announcing your presence to anyone within a kilometre. Arma 3 BR: you hit a fence and lose 3 tires immediately.

If you're watching people play the differences should be pretty apparent.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #10568 on: April 24, 2017, 10:54:44 AM »
I keep buying expensive firearms which is restricting my ability to properly upgrade my 750 ti graphic card to enjoy CPU games more.  I'm currently rolling with a lot of PS4 games!

My bigger issue with my PC is that Windows 10 has created a bizarre set of very real inconsistencies in operation.  That and my motherboard keeps forgetting I am running a RAID setup and forces me to go in and manually remind it every so often.

But Wildlands is pretty great fun:

« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 10:59:27 AM by PhillyT »

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #10569 on: April 24, 2017, 02:58:47 PM »

It's a lot less arcadey than H1Z1, but more accessible than Arma3 BR. Let's use cars as an example. H1Z1, you need a car late game. You drive up to someones tree pedal to the floor, jump out while flying past and go at it. In PUBG, You jump out of a car at speed, you take damage / die. They're loud and obvious, tyres can be shot, you can be sniped out of them. So cars can be crucial for getting somewhere fast, but you're always relieved when you can finally ditch it and stop announcing your presence to anyone within a kilometre. Arma 3 BR: you hit a fence and lose 3 tires immediately.

If you're watching people play the differences should be pretty apparent.

I'd definitely noticed the cars, although just about everyone in the videos mentions that as well. I havn't actually played any of the other ones, so other then people saying it was a bit more realistic I wasn't sure what that entailed.

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #10570 on: April 24, 2017, 03:15:25 PM »
Has there already been a long conversation in here about Overwatch? I'm late to the party as usual...

Been playing it the last couple of weeks though and really enjoying it more than I thought I would. Current favorite characters, tracer, widow, dva, mercy.

Also played some Zelda. To be honest just running around and enjoying the world is pretty satisfying. I'm not too bothered about ganon.  :-P
Quote from: PhillyT
Magic does not have nearly the same problems with power levels as magic. 

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #10571 on: April 24, 2017, 03:28:36 PM »
I'd definitely noticed the cars, although just about everyone in the videos mentions that as well. I havn't actually played any of the other ones, so other then people saying it was a bit more realistic I wasn't sure what that entailed.

Gunplay feels pretty good, you can't carry extra armors or helmets in your backpack - so if either gets damaged or destroyed, you'll have to loot a fresh one. Also, there are a lot more relevant items than in H1Z1, so acquiring more loot tends to be relevant for longer. You have found an M416? Great. But it'll be so much better if you also have a foregrip, compensator, extended magazine, tactical stock and a decent sight for it. And as for sights - a red dot is fine for close range, but if you want to shoot at range you'll want an ACOG or an 8x scope. Those will suck at CQB though!

Also, grenades of various types are absolute life savers, frags and smokes in particular.

I don't think I would call the game realistic, but there's definitely quite a bit of depth to it.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 03:31:57 PM by Aldaris »

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #10572 on: April 25, 2017, 11:02:17 AM »
Has there already been a long conversation in here about Overwatch? I'm late to the party as usual...

Been playing it the last couple of weeks though and really enjoying it more than I thought I would. Current favorite characters, tracer, widow, dva, mercy.

Also played some Zelda. To be honest just running around and enjoying the world is pretty satisfying. I'm not too bothered about ganon.  :-P

My buddy plays it quite a lot and I see material for it everywhere but I just wasn't interested in it.  I play COD and Wildlands for my shooting fun!

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #10573 on: April 25, 2017, 11:56:45 AM »
On COD - my son has a friend who moved to Sweden to play professionally. Yes - I did say professional. He has to play at least 8 hrs a day to keep up his skill and standing. Insane but fun. The odd time he'll play his friends with another account but stilll hands them there asses on a collective base. Sounds fun but when forced to sit in front of a screen it must have its drawbacks.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #10574 on: April 25, 2017, 12:44:02 PM »
On COD - my son has a friend who moved to Sweden to play professionally. Yes - I did say professional. He has to play at least 8 hrs a day to keep up his skill and standing. Insane but fun. The odd time he'll play his friends with another account but stilll hands them there asses on a collective base. Sounds fun but when forced to sit in front of a screen it must have its drawbacks.

Cool job, but I've heard that you can't do it for too long. Fries your brain and all that.

Gneisenau