home

Author Topic: What are you watching- TV shows  (Read 89973 times)

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
Re: What are you watching- TV shows
« Reply #150 on: December 07, 2016, 06:13:55 PM »
Quote Wolfgang aus Wein
As for current shows, there is literally NOTHING on TV worth a minute of my time, with the possible exception of the weather forecast.
Lies & propaganda, all of it.

Even the weather is questionable! We're gonna get along fine 😺
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 06:56:03 PM by Artobans Ghost »
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #151 on: December 07, 2016, 06:38:09 PM »
That's why I watch Vikings. Great hairstyles to!

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #152 on: December 08, 2016, 11:26:27 AM »
Also, it's funny that the story was intended to be pro-immigration and pro-abortion, but managed to give the exact opposite impression.

I didn't catch the pro-abortion part? Is it supposed to be justified when they phaser their stolen cell clones?

It didn't really seem like a pro abortion moment.

Yes, that's it! The problem is that the analogy doesn't work at all. It isn't even close. They incinerate a pair of mature adults!

There's a quote from the writer at the site I linked to:

"I got enormous flack from the right to life coalition because they destroyed the clones. They thought I was condoning abortion. In fact, I did put a line in Riker's mouth that was very pro-choice and the right to life coalition went crazy. He says "I told you that you can't clone me and you did it against my will, and I have the right to have control over my own body." That's my feeling and it was my soapbox, and it was one I got to get on.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #154 on: December 10, 2016, 10:15:43 AM »
I'm not sure why this is an argument, but I meant the clone people didn't want them! Not that the fake Irish didn't want to go.
If I wanted to.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #155 on: December 10, 2016, 04:27:47 PM »
I like the part about the polygamy. I especially like to imagine whoever is back at Starfleet getting all these reports, wondering what the heck is happening out there.

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #156 on: December 10, 2016, 06:04:11 PM »
I'm not sure why this is an argument, but I meant the clone people didn't want them! Not that the fake Irish didn't want to go.

Then I misunderstood you. :-)

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #157 on: December 10, 2016, 06:19:29 PM »
No worries!  :icon_smile:
If I wanted to.

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #158 on: December 12, 2016, 02:15:47 PM »
So I was a big NTG nerd when I was a kid but didn't really get into DS9.  I saw a couple of interesting clips on youtube which promptred me to watch an episode (the one where Garak's shop gets blown up).  My wife has never seen Star Trek before so she watched it with me.  She is now hooked on DS9.

Also I never knew the Klingon's had their very own Westley Crusher in DS9  :engel:
*cough Alexander cough daddy issues cough*
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #159 on: December 12, 2016, 03:44:17 PM »
Deep Space Nine is so much better than TNG. The characters are stronger, the stories are more meaningful, and Garak never stops being awesome.

It still has some bad episodes, but not too many!
If I wanted to.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #160 on: December 12, 2016, 04:02:01 PM »
Deep Space Nine is so much better than TNG. The characters are stronger, the stories are more meaningful, and Garak never stops being awesome.

I love DS9, with the exception of the (not quite sure, but should be about right) first two seasons.

In the beginning it's pretty much trying to imitate TNGs schtick, with problem of the week plots that have little if any continuity, and the writers are clearly still trying to find their stride with the chraracters. After they get that down and find the courage to say "hey, we actually CAN have plots that take multiple episodes or even seasons to resolve, and that will make for better stories all round" it gets awesome.

Offline Dihenydd

• Members
  • Back on Hiatus
« Reply #161 on: December 12, 2016, 10:41:20 PM »

**cough cough** Babylon 5 **cough cough**

Signed
Fanatic B5 Fan

"Londo for President"
Sometimes the "Old Ones" just need to leave.....

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #162 on: December 12, 2016, 10:45:25 PM »
B5 was amazing, but it hasn't aged well visually. Still love it though!

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #163 on: December 13, 2016, 12:17:59 AM »
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Karl Voss of Averland

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #164 on: December 13, 2016, 03:16:29 AM »

I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Remembering what Rufas started and endures in us all

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #165 on: December 13, 2016, 11:33:27 AM »
Sorry, Picard! You were the best thing in TNG.

I remember giving up on Babylon Five during the first series, but then watching it again in the third and finding it was suddenly really good! It definitely had some wonky acting though, and as Aldaris said it looks quite dated.

Quote from: Aldaris
I love DS9, with the exception of the (not quite sure, but should be about right) first two seasons.

In the beginning it's pretty much trying to imitate TNGs schtick, with problem of the week plots that have little if any continuity, and the writers are clearly still trying to find their stride with the chraracters. After they get that down and find the courage to say "hey, we actually CAN have plots that take multiple episodes or even seasons to resolve, and that will make for better stories all round" it gets awesome.

They actually weren't allowed much continuity early on. Apparently, the writers were only allowed to introduce the Dominion 'if it was resolved after a couple of episodes.'  :icon_lol:  It took five series.

I looked at a list of episodes, and you're mostly right about series one and two being weak. But there are still some good episodes, notably: Duet, In the hands of the prophets, Cardassians, Necessary evil, Whispers, Blood oath, The wire, and The collaborator.
If I wanted to.

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #166 on: December 13, 2016, 01:12:03 PM »
Speaking of older Sci/Fi space adventure shows, I was very saddened to discover Farscape was no longer on Netflix. I usually watch through quite a few during hte Christmas season out of strange tradition.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline Karl Voss of Averland

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #167 on: December 13, 2016, 06:08:29 PM »
Sorry, Picard! You were the best thing in TNG.

They actually weren't allowed much continuity early on. Apparently, the writers were only allowed to introduce the Dominion 'if it was resolved after a couple of episodes.'  :icon_lol:  It took five series.

I looked at a list of episodes, and you're mostly right about series one and two being weak. But there are still some good episodes, notably: Duet, In the hands of the prophets, Cardassians, Necessary evil, Whispers, Blood oath, The wire, and The collaborator.

I don't think I ever watched DS9 in any sort of order, so continuity never really bothered me.

Is "In the hands of the prophets" the episode where you think they're going to talk about the complex issue of teaching religious doctrines in the classroom, but it really turns into the coup/assassination attempt on the Bajoran space pope?

I always enjoyed the TNG episode surrounding Data and his persuit of humanity. The episode where he's on trial I thought was very good.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 06:10:32 PM by Karl Voss of Averland »
I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Remembering what Rufas started and endures in us all

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #168 on: December 13, 2016, 06:29:44 PM »
Yeah and Data's thoughts on suicide was rather interesting.
― Jake the Dog

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #169 on: December 13, 2016, 10:06:17 PM »
Is "In the hands of the prophets" the episode where you think they're going to talk about the complex issue of teaching religious doctrines in the classroom, but it really turns into the coup/assassination attempt on the Bajoran space pope?

Well, yes... but I'd describe it as being about the way politicians use conservative religious dogma (that they don't themselves believe in) purely as a way to gain power. Vadek Winn corrupts a young Bajoran into becoming an assassin by convincing her it's 'the will of the prophets.' And then later, she actually becomes space pope.

Maybe it's less relevant in the Trump era, since religion has been thrown under a bus along with everything else in favour of racism and lies.

I always enjoyed the TNG episode surrounding Data and his persuit of humanity. The episode where he's on trial I thought was very good.

It was, though it made the Federation look like anti-robot bigots. Data has been an officer in Star Fleet for years and only now they decide he's property?

It was a good excuse for a dramatic Picard speech though.
If I wanted to.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #170 on: January 13, 2017, 03:52:05 PM »
So the wife and I have been watching DS9 and is it just me or is Garak gay for Bashir?

I'm pretty sure ziyal is just his beard...much to Dukat's chagrin.
― Jake the Dog

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #171 on: January 13, 2017, 10:40:17 PM »
Who isn't gay for Bashir?

Guy is awesome.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #172 on: January 14, 2017, 02:28:33 AM »
Watched season 1 + 2 of the flash. So, so much better than Luke Cage.
Harrison Wells is an excellent character.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #173 on: January 14, 2017, 02:35:54 PM »
Talking of watching star trek, I'm towards the end of rewatching voyager.

I know it's not universally liked and they definitely could have done so much better had they have taken a ds9 approach to story arcs but for what it is I have a soft spot for it.

It's hard to deny that it also gets a lot better a couple of seasons in when they ditch kes and bring in seven. People often focus on the possibly more cynical view of why they changed them out, but honestly the seven progression of story and just overall ability to act is so much more compelling.

I kinda wish they had access to the tng crew in these days of complex story arcs with some great writers. They had an amazing cast there who sadly had to do a lot of pretty dodgy shows with a few standout ones here and there.
Quote from: PhillyT
Magic does not have nearly the same problems with power levels as magic. 

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #174 on: January 14, 2017, 03:37:59 PM »
It's hard to deny that it also gets a lot better a couple of seasons in when they ditch kes and bring in seven. People often focus on the possibly more cynical view of why they changed them out, but honestly the seven progression of story and just overall ability to act is so much more compelling.

Absolutely!

Seven was exactly what the show needed, mainly because she created some moral discord in the otherwise pretty uniform la-la-land of the Star Trek universe. She was - at least in the beginning - the most "evil" main character that Star Trek ever had (not counting "Enterprise", because honestly, who would), and that was great. After all, meaningful tension is the basis for any good story.

Jeri Ryan was terrific, though of course she also got the best lines.

Overall though it's a shame how much potential they wasted with that show. The premise was great (but got squandered) and some of the actors were very good. "Year of Hell" gave a glimpse at what might have been.

So the wife and I have been watching DS9 and is it just me or is Garak gay for Bashir?

I have no idea how anyone could ever reach this conclusion.