home

Author Topic: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]  (Read 643132 times)

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
« Reply #4450 on: March 16, 2013, 12:10:09 PM »
Heinrich thanks the dwarf and leaves the komission. He heads back to the temple of Grungni. He realizes that Julian and Ragni couldn't have left the temple, since they would definitely have gone to one of the other places Heinrich has searched.
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #4451 on: March 16, 2013, 03:24:54 PM »
Klaus listened patiently to all the things going on in the lawyers guild and also Admunds inquiry at the tax guild.

"Might we also in connection to this get to know If Theodore Gluckstein of the Windhund Haulage Company [supposed Purple Hand Member] is still busy in Middenheim?"

Klaus turns to Max and with a wide smile states

"Max I can feel it in my stiff fingers that great opportunities lie in this city, something is brewing up and I think we can greatly profit from it, I think we should after our inquiry here visit firstly the High Wizard that stormed out at the lawyers guild, he might have some informations about the strange tax laws. We should tell him our suspicions that some vile forces are at work here and maybe tell him a bit about our last adventures, he might be very interesting to get this resolved before they force him to pay this tax, some money and favours certainly in the bundle, and he might also be of help with" he looks at Admund with another wolfish smile, not sure if he can trust the merc yet ".......you know our masked friend.

We also should visit this Ehrlich Mann, the Law Lord he too seems to be no fan of this new laws and might be someone with insights how this law was brought into place...by whom and on what intentions, and also might gift us something for figuring out what is going on ...at the greater scale.

I think we might try the bar to find this Elf ....what was his name..Rallane yes exactly and hear him on the whole issue and perhaps he might tell us some tidbits of what is going on at court after I drank some wine with him and let him win a couple of rounds at the cards.

We also shouldn´t forget to find out more about Gluckstein and this Windhund company...I am not sure yet how to approach best but we might decide once we are at the place and get a lay of the land."

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #4452 on: March 16, 2013, 05:55:54 PM »
[Julian and Ragni]

"Maybe we should burn the body, Boss?" Ragni says, "might come back to life or something. Wait, I know." He raises his axe, and cuts the dead wizard's head off. "That should do it. Wonder if he's a purple hand? Better check."

He rips the wizard's robe open. Sure enough, the corpse's hollow, bony chest has a purple hand tattooed over the heart.

Julian searches the lab. As a skilled chemist himself, he recognizes the functions of the various items of equipment, as well as the common reagents [he can take some stuff if he wants, though I'm not sure he needs anything]. There are also some less pleasant ingredients - body parts of various creatures - whose function he can't guess at. Evil magic, no doubt.

The large glass jars are also worrying. Floating in one are the remains of a creature that looks to have died while in the process of changing shape. He remembers seeing something similar - but living - in Castle Wittgenstein. The other jars contain only liquid.

Under one of the workbenches is a sturdy metal box. Julian breaks the lock and looks inside. He finds a laboratory notebook, written in some sort of cypher. He also finds 300 gold crowns, and a letter. The letter is written in ordinary Reikspiel:

My dear Wolfgang,

Yes, the latest package finally arrived from my beloved sister! Here it is. It would have been hell to get it into the city by the usual channels, even with my connections, so I had to make alternative arrangements. Hope this specimen is in as good condition as the last one! I'd be thrilled to hear what you intend to do with these things, but I know how your lot love your secrets. Maybe you don't know yourself! I wouldn't be the least bit surprised.

You must come to my next party. It's going to be a good one - lots of first-timers will be there. I know it's not your scene, but it's not healthy to spend all your time by yourself.

Must go, lots of arrangements to make. And I can't avoid work for much longer! They keep chasing me around with forms that need signing. Much as I love the new taxes, I could do without all the extra paperwork. I'll have to see the chancellor about it.

Love and hugs,

G.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #4453 on: March 16, 2013, 06:39:16 PM »
[Klaus, Admund, Max]

"Those are wonderful ideas, Klaus," Max says, with total sincerity. "It's our duty to do everything we can to get the tax laws repealed! I don't know if the High Wizard or Law Lord Erlich will agree to see us, but we can certainly try. Rallane might be easier to get to, if you approach him in a tavern. Um. You're so good at talking to people!

"We might be able to get some information on the Wyndhund Haulage company at the Komission. It's worth asking anyway."

At the Komission, Admund asks for help at one of the reception desks. Max backs him up, showing his guild membership papers. The clerk asks them to wait for a short while.

After half an hour, Admund, Klaus and Max are admitted to a small office piled high with papers. The clerk, a middle-aged woman, introduces herself as Greta Udilier. "If you're here to complain about the new tax laws," she says, in the tone of someone who is getting tired of explaining this, "then please go to the Guild of Legalists, or the Palace. Our job is to see that the taxes are collected in the most efficient way, and that's all! We aren't responsible for them."

"Of course you aren't, madam," Max says, "please forgive us - we are new to the city, and don't know exactly how things are done here. Perhaps you could tell us what the Komission does?"

"Aren't you a polite little man? Very well then. The Komission was founded... oh, a few hundred years ago, to counter fears that the merchants' guild held too much power. But over time, it became clear that there was simply no need to regulate merchants. Instead, the Komission works with the city's guilds - not just the merchants, but the stone masons, dwarf engineers, artizans... oh, all of them. In fact, the current Komission Convenor is also the Chairman of the Merchants' Guild."

"Thank you very much, madam, that was extremely enlightening."

Admund asks for information on the two warehouses used by Bardin. The clerk raises her eyebrows. "It is not our policy to give out that sort of information without good cause. Why do you need to know?"
If I wanted to.

Offline Karl Voss of Averland

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #4454 on: March 17, 2013, 12:08:33 AM »
Admund replies, formalizing his language for the tax clerk. Clearing his throat he begins, "Well, Frau Udilier, you see, I am a former employee of Bardin Dwinbarsson. Herr Breytenbach is my lawyer, and we are collecting actionable evidence to use to press charges on Mr. Bardin. During my employment, I discovered some questionable business practices and was assaulted in return, as you can see..." Admund gestures to the linen bandage wrapped around his head.

"It is our belief that Bardin Dwinbarsson may be participating in various illegal activities here in Middenheim, and we are building a criminal case to bring before the High Court. We would like to review the tax and property records you have on Mr. Bardin to see if there is any evidence of illicit activity, and to cross check it against information that Herr Breytenbach has already collected."

Before leaving, Admund is also curious about Komission Convenor Brant, and will inquire politely to hear what Greta Udilier thinks of him and the new tax laws.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 12:14:28 AM by Karl Voss of Averland »
I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Remembering what Rufas started and endures in us all

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #4455 on: March 18, 2013, 01:50:35 PM »
Julian is breathing heavily as he searches the room. He's trying not to show Ragni, but he feels terribly weak. He splits the money 50/50 with ragni, "this pays back some of that tax" Then reads the letter aloud.

"Do you think we just killed the last Wittgenstein, Ragni? Seems these evil bastards got their fingers in this tax business too. Maybe the specimen is the lizard thing we caught? Don't know about you but I'm damn hungry now, I think it's time we start heading back to the surface. We can always come back later"

Julian will sneak down the staircase just to have a look...

« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 01:56:13 PM by Finlay »
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #4456 on: March 18, 2013, 02:58:29 PM »
[Julian and Ragni]

"Cheers for the cash, Boss!" Ragni says, "I'll feel better with that in my pocket. Good profit for a bit of axe-work! I don't know about the letter, Boss, I leave that complicated stuff to my elders. You know best! Anyhow, I'm definitely ready to eat. I like the tunnels though! Good place for us."

They descend the staircase. It ends in a heavy door, which is locked. There's a viewing window though: looking in, Julian sees a prison cell, complete with chains attached to the walls. Thankfully, there are no prisoners. He suspect that he and Ragni would have ended up in here if he hadn't disrupted the wizard's spell.
If I wanted to.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #4457 on: March 18, 2013, 03:09:42 PM »
Julian is now satisfied with his exploration, and heads back to the surface, stopping to pat the lizard on the way, and promising to bring it food later.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #4458 on: March 18, 2013, 05:14:58 PM »
[Julian and Ragni..... Heinrich]

The lizard-beast watches the dwarfs mournfully as they pass. It doesn't like being tied up. It looks appreciative when Julian pats it.

They return to the hidden door that leads to the dwarf-inhabited tunnels. On giving the secret knock, the door opens and the ladder is lowered. Julian thinks it's too late in the day to visit the engineers' guild, and anyway he's tired, hungry and somewhat stained with evil wizard blood. He and Ragni go up into the chapel of Grungni. The priest and his initiate are busy with a ritual, so they leave discretely.

They go out onto the street, just as Heinrich arrives. He's obviously been looking for them.
If I wanted to.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #4459 on: March 18, 2013, 08:53:40 PM »
[Mortus]

"That's him, miss, sure enough," the guard says in answer to Mortus's question.

"Don't come any closer!" Fritz shouts, "I'll shoot."

"He means it," Janna says, "stay there. Fine: Fritz dumped you in the mine, after you and the Doktor had your accident.  But he didn't kill you, as he could easily have done. We just wanted you out of the way - Lady Isolde was getting suspicious." She sighs, "As it turns out, too suspicious. I had to get away. Can't you just leave us alone?"
If I wanted to.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #4460 on: March 18, 2013, 09:41:56 PM »
[Admund, Klaus, Max]

"Questionable business practices?" the clerk says, "dear oh dear. That does sound like cause for concern. Perhaps he is evading taxes? Running a commercial enterprise without proper permits? I assure you, we take such matters very seriously. Whatever the criminal charges you may bring, I am sure the Komission will wish to bring a damaging civil action against this individual! After, of course, an exhaustive examination of the evidence."

She rings a bell on her desk. A moment later, a teenaged boy with stooped shoulders enters the room, a frightened expression on his face. Without even looking at him, Udilier barks a series of records that she want him to fetch. He returns shortly after, deposits the records on her desk, then slinks out again.

"Here we are: Bardin Dwinbarsson, goes by 'Bernhardt.' Imperial Engineers' School, Altdorf. Arrived at the south gate on Bezahltag the 10th of Sommerzeit. A hefty tax bill, and the records show that he protested vigorously, agreeing to pay only after being threatened with arrest. Hmmm, Mr Dwinbarsson has no holdings in the city, nor any commercial permits of any kind. We have no further information on him."

"Do you know who owns the two warehouses, madam?" Max asks deferentially.

"Let me see: yes, both are registered to Ogrim Svenssonsson, a ore merchant of 47 Haupt Strasse, The Wynd. Mr Svenssonson has been resident in the city for nearly sixty years, and has never been suspected of wrongdoing. Well, there is nothing suspicious there, at least."

"And the Windhund Haulage Company, madam?" Max says.

"Ah yes. Also on Haupt Strasse. Managed by Theodore Gluckstein. According to these files, both Wolf Runner Coaches and Castle Rock Coaches have complained about them. Nothing very specific - just vague accusations that they poach their clients. Investigated twice, but cleared. Oh, and  a halfling pharmacist by the name of Velma Karbunkel from the Osstor district made a complaint against Windhund Haulage, but withdrew it the next day. She claimed it was a misunderstanding. I hope this information will be useful to you."

"Oh, yes indeed, madam," Max says, "thank you so much for your help."

She smiles, "It was no trouble. It was nice to meet some polite young gentlemen - since the new taxes were brought in I have been plagued by angry dwarfs."

Admund takes the opportunity to inquire about the taxes, and about the Komission Convenor.

"Well, I think the taxes are a good idea in theory," she says, "the city needs the money, especially at this time of year. The carnival does bring a lot of extra business, but it also means hiring additional watchmen, street cleaners... oh, the expenses are endless. And naturally, the chancellor has decided that the burden should fall on those most able to pay. The temples are extremely rich, and - as everyone knows - wizards can simply conjure gold out of the air. And as for dwarfs, well, they are natural hoarders. Every dwarf has a pile of gold under his bed!

"But the paperwork is appalling. We've hired dozens of new scribes to cope with the workload, and the Guild of Legalists has done the same. If any of you gentlemen need a job, I'm sure we still need more help! Everything else has ground to a halt here - it's taxes taxes taxes, dawn to dusk. And the complaints! If I never see another dwarf, it will be too soon."

She looks at the door, then leans forward conspiratorially, "And Convenor Brant is no help at all. He's never here! I don't know what that man does all day, but he certainly isn't working for the Komission. I've asked at the Merchants' Guild, and he's never there either. He lives not five minutes from this building, but is he ever at home? No he is not. It makes it awfully difficult to get anything done when half the forms need to be signed by a man who may as well not exist!

"Now, gentlemen, if there's nothing else I can do for you, I really must get on. I have some things to do before close today."
If I wanted to.

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #4461 on: March 18, 2013, 10:17:24 PM »
Admund runs his fingers through his hair in frustration. He thinks to himself, That fop of a dwarf is a clever one, I'll give him that. All this yammering and waiting, for an address of some Ore Miner. Maybe he's staying there? Worth checking out I guess. Little shit is going to pay when I find him. He plays with the bandage around his head impatiently.

"Convenor Brant, you say he lives not far from here? Would it be possible to give us his address, so that we may try to call on him directly in case my lawyer here uncovers anything requiring his direct attention in this case? I understand that he is rarely at home, but maybe on the off chance that we'll catch him there, he can sign the necessary paperwork to investigate Bardin Dwinbarsson."

"Thank you, Frau Udilier. You have been most...helpful" Admund says to the clerk. "Max? Klaus? Unless you have anything else, i'm ready to get a move on." Admund says gratefully as he rises to his feet, hand resting on the pommel of his sword.
I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #4462 on: March 19, 2013, 12:40:47 AM »
"I can't see why you shouldn't have the Convenor's address," she says, with a slightly malicious smile, "if you do happen to catch him at home, please remind him to come and dig the Komission out of this avalanche of paperwork!"

She gives Admund an address on Schmutzige Strasse, just around the corner from the Komission.

Max thanks Udilier for her help, then the three of them leave the office and go out into the street. The sun won't be setting for a few hours yet, but it's certainly dinner time. The Komission is about to close, and probably most other public buildings will be closing as well.

Max looks a bit off-colour. Probably his pain medicine is wearing off and he's feeling the effects of his hard day. "Um, shall we carry on to the watch house then?" he says, trying to sound cheerful. "Or maybe we don't need to... we did report to that sergeant, um... oh dear, I've forgotten his name."
If I wanted to.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #4463 on: March 19, 2013, 02:26:15 AM »
Heinrich breathes a sigh of relief when he sees Julian and Ragni.

"Friends! I am glad I found you!"

He will fill them in on what's been happening.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #4464 on: March 19, 2013, 11:20:36 AM »
Ragni greets Heinrich cheerfully, then listens to his story with rising anger.

"Who's that bugger Bardin think he is?" he says, "we need to find him and sort him out!" He frowns. "How do we find him?"

Ragni's stomach rumbles loudly. "I'm starved!" he says, "can we go and eat first? My dad always told me 'never fight on an empty stomach, lad.' And maybe we'll find the others if we go back to the inn."
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 04:12:34 PM by rufus sparkfire »
If I wanted to.

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #4465 on: March 19, 2013, 12:45:07 PM »
"You mean Sergeant Kratz?" Admund replies to Max.

"Well, you did give him the story when they stopped us. Maybe they found Bardin and clapped him in irons already. We've got an address to work with, but maybe it's best if we investigate before we bring the watch in on it." Admund replies with dubious wink and a nudge. "You alright, boy? You look a little wan. Let's get you back to the Templar's Arms and get some food in you, lad."

Admund gestures for Klaus to follow. He's quiet for a fake nobleman, usually they're more chit-chatty... he thinks to himself with a smirk.

Admund inhales deeply and admires the shafts of light from the late afternoon sun cascading between the roofs. It's been a long day, and tiredness is starting to catch up with him. His mind drifts to roast fowl and feather beds as he walks. He'll take a right, going north from the Komission [#46] and head north to the Templar's Arms, past Staller's Stables. If he passes the smithy he saw this morning, he'll take note whether or not they make armor, as he may want to purchase some additional chainmail tomorrow.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 03:24:24 PM by Karl Voss of Averland »

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #4466 on: March 19, 2013, 04:09:28 PM »
[Admund, Klaus, Max]

"Oh yes , that was his name! Thank you, Admund," Max says, "I'm sorry, I'm just a bit tired... it's hard to think clearly. I'm fine though! I don't need to rest." Despite what he says, he looks exhausted.

"The watch are very busy," he says, "what with all the carnival visitors. So it would certainly help if we found Bardin ourselves. And of course, we would turn him over to the proper authorities." He says this with confidence.

Max follows Admund and Klaus back to the Templar's Arms. The smithy Admund saw earlier does make armour, though nothing very extravagant. Still, if they don't have what he needs there are sure to be plenty of other armourers in Middenheim.
If I wanted to.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #4467 on: March 19, 2013, 04:14:05 PM »
[Heinrich, Klaus, Julian, Admund, Max, and Ragni]

Everyone meets for dinner in the bar of the Templar's Arms.

[And shares information! Now you can decide what to do next.]
If I wanted to.

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #4468 on: March 19, 2013, 05:37:17 PM »
Admund enters the Templar's Arms with Klaus and Max in tow. "Kurt!" Admund calls out "Why didn't you warn me that the bureaucrats of this city are as boring as they sound? Who've thought that sitting in lobbies and offices all afternoon could work up such an appetite? Can Tiasmara roast up any fowl for me? And i'll have another pint of that Cat-flingger!" Admund will pay for the food and pint when they arrive at the table.

Admund grabs a seat at a large open table and motions for the others to sit. With an excited smirk on his face, he plops down in a chair with a grunt. He doesn't have much to go on, but he has something that may lead him to that dwarf. "Sit, lads! Max you better eat something before your keel over. When are these friends of yours arriving?"

Admund slips out his dagger and fiddles with it while talking. "Alright, listen. I've been chewing on this since we left the Komission. Bardin's a clever git, and not from around these parts, and as you saw, Max, he prefers the extravagant, right? Well, a pint of Cat-flingger says that he's probably staying at Ogrim Svenssonsson house on 47 Haupt Strasse in the Wynd. The name on the warehouses match the name of the residence. Maybe he's a friend? Maybe ol' Ogrim is dead and the foppish git is hiding out there. Either way it's our only lead. Dunno, lads, it's going to be a tough nut, but I gave Bardin a good gash in the leg, and his two dolts that were with him got a few bruises from Heinrich, so that's working for us. I say, in the morning we go check out this house."

Admund finishes and slaps down the knife triumphantly on the table. "Now, what you are you both so concerned with the taxes and that haulage company for?"
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 07:10:43 PM by Karl Voss of Averland »

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #4469 on: March 19, 2013, 07:41:48 PM »
"I understand the desire to get me out of the way," Mortus says quietly.   A flash passes across her face like she is remembering something.   "I have no wish to cause you trouble or harm, Janna.   That was never my intention.   I just want to know how you are connected to the happenings at Bogenhafen and whether or not you have royal involvement.   It is easy for people in our position to mistrust but I need to protect myself as much as you need to protect yourself.   Neither of us would welcome a visit from the Sigmarites I think." 

Mortus reaches into her belt pouch, her fingers brushing against the symbol of Athraigh that Fritz didn't steal.   She looks at Fritz and smiles sadly.

"You only have one bolt my friend," she says quietly.   "And my screaming will bring my guards.   You could kill me I suppose, but that won't help you and having the death of a member of the House of Basanduine on your hands will ensure that you swing.   You have that option or you could put down the crossbow and we could talk.   All I wanted to do Janna was talk.   There is no need to bring his master or Lady Isodle into this."

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #4470 on: March 20, 2013, 05:56:38 AM »
Klaus also ordered himself a drink and some warm food..."while I can completely understand your thirst of some revenge on this dwarf, and I too want to get at him as he already abducted Max and wants to do the same to us. He is one of our minor threats. I say we should wait for the others and get on with our...royal business first, therefore visiting the High Wizard. The Dwarf ...undwarfish as he is might cowardly hide after he assaulted you two and now fears for his life. There are worse things going on in the city than just a Dwarf with a thirst for revenge."

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #4471 on: March 20, 2013, 07:58:36 AM »
Admund snorts and rolls his eyes at Klaus, "What do you mean royal business? The high wizard is only going to rant and rave about how unjust the taxes are and tell you he thinks it was the elves, or the law lords, or the chancellor who did it. You saw him at the Law Guild! He'll just turn you into newts or something!"

"Listen, before I got Max out of that warehouse, Bardin was planning on planting evidence on Julian to frame him for tax evasion. What good is it to chat up half the bureaucracy in Middenheim, only to have the watch stop us, clap us in irons, and drag us back to that Fusspulver Court for a good flogging?"

"No, we deal with this dwarf, and we deal with him now."
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 08:03:37 AM by Karl Voss of Averland »

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #4472 on: March 20, 2013, 08:04:09 AM »
"I agree with Admund. We should arrange for Bardin to 'leave the city'. Permanently. He's proven a craven and hateful enemy of Julian. Any enemy of Julian has volunteered for a short life in my eyes. Bardin's days are numbered, and he lowered that number a lot when he started trying to kidnap one of us to use against Julian. If we don't end him quickly, he'll only become a greater pain in our ass, or worse, succeed in killing one of us. He wouldn't be the first 'upstanding citizen' we left bloodied in an alley, and I'm sure he won't be the last before we root out this cult."

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #4473 on: March 20, 2013, 10:23:14 AM »
"Aye," Ragni says, between mouthfuls of food, "Bardin's got to go! No one will miss that bloody outcast anyhow."

"Um... but we have to hand him over to the proper authorities," Max says quietly, "we can't go around... killing people. And Klaus is right about the other matter. After what I learned from those books today, I think the... um... you know... might come after us again. After dark."
If I wanted to.

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #4474 on: March 20, 2013, 10:44:51 AM »
As Ragni, Heinrich, and Julian sit at the table, Admund's expression goes cold and blank as he eyes Julian. "You must be Julian. You've certainly been making friends around the empire, haven't you? Sit, have a pint, the Cat-flingger isn't half bad. Let's see if I can get on well with some dwarfs for the first time in awhile. Long story. Name's Admund, and you must be... Ragni?"

Admund rolls his eyes at Max and snorts as he takes of gulp of his Cat-flingger, "Right, lad, and people can't go around whipping people either, right? Bardin shot me in the head, and I'm going to find the git with or without the law. Besides, after hearing all about those Law Lords today and the Tax Kommissioner, I don't trust anyone in this bloody city. Bardin will probably just pay 'em off."

Admund's eyes dart back and forth between Klaus and Max as they discuss the 'other matter'. He doesn't much like being talked around. "Whad'ya mean the 'you know' might come for us after dark? Who's after you!? Who's coming!?"

« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 10:51:35 AM by Karl Voss of Averland »