home

Author Topic: Templar Grand Master Builds  (Read 3905 times)

Offline Northern Storm

• Members
  • Retired from community as of 25 NOV 10
Templar Grand Master Builds
« on: August 23, 2007, 07:56:00 AM »
Let's hear 'em lads: The various ways to equip your Grand Masters. Everything from standard weapons to Magic Items. Lets hear them please. I'm curious on how I should equip mine. So many roles, so many choices!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 08:26:03 AM by Northern Storm »

Offline Davido

• Members
Re: Grand Master Builds
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 09:49:23 AM »
laurels of victory, sword of power

4 str 6 attacks with any wounds counting double for combat res

I think a good spot for him is in a unit of 12/11 knights with daemon banner
Yay my rocket battery finally killed something.What do you mean those are my halberdiers.

Offline embir

• Members
Re: Templar Grand Master Builds
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 12:02:15 PM »
Sword of Power, Holy Relic- goes to war with 11 men strong unit of Inner Circle Knights with War Banner.
This build can take up challenges with most of other lords and it is not easy to kill him.
man these ratings go up and down like a bretonian Lady's Chastity belt

Offline Captain Tineal

• Members
  • You will join me or die! Could you do any less?
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 12:28:39 PM »
I use him with all his plain gear, Laurels of Victory, and Holy Relic.  He can survive toe to toe with the badest guys, and on the charge, he'll lay the pain out on RnF guys.  On the charge with the LoV, he is capable of tying up a unit on his own.
I don't know what a pisolires is but it sounds like a musical instrument you play with urine...

Offline Northern Storm

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 01:32:42 PM »
I use him with all his plain gear, Laurels of Victory, and Holy Relic.  He can survive toe to toe with the badest guys, and on the charge, he'll lay the pain out on RnF guys.  On the charge with the LoV, he is capable of tying up a unit on his own.

I don't get how he can go toe to toe with the badest guys with that kit. I like your build, don't get me wrong, and I see its merrits: your Grand Master is resilient as they come and can crush units.... but I can't see too many enemy Lords being killed outright with the initial lance attacks, and then you're down to hand weapon attacks after that.

Offline Captain Tineal

• Members
  • You will join me or die! Could you do any less?
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 01:38:07 PM »
Don't have to kill them, just keep them from killing you.  If that big nasty isn't pounding your regular guys, and he's not hurting the GM, your knights (on the charge) should be pummelling his RnFers.  And IC GW knights will continue to do so after the charge, where tying up that big combat lord is even more important.
I don't know what a pisolires is but it sounds like a musical instrument you play with urine...

Offline Northern Storm

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 01:45:58 PM »
Don't have to kill them, just keep them from killing you.  If that big nasty isn't pounding your regular guys, and he's not hurting the GM, your knights (on the charge) should be pummelling his RnFers.  And IC GW knights will continue to do so after the charge, where tying up that big combat lord is even more important.

Ahhhh understood. :)

Offline McKnight

• Members
  • Its the No. of posts that make you a veteran-gamer
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007, 01:51:05 PM »
Sword of power and laurels works for me.
Though he sometimes miss some more protection. Helborg is even better than standard GM, so im considering him.

I tend to keep my knights cheap.
"Me? I'm practically perfect in every way!"- Rufas the eccentric.
Rufas had Two Ton Sally. I have Silicon Sally!
EuroBashes attended: 1

Offline stareso

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2007, 03:02:54 PM »
With the sword of power and either holy relic or laurels of victory is indeed best for me too. I plan on protracted combats with his unit (also tend to keep him in the center with his leadership) as well so that's why the sword is important and therefore he needs a big unit of knights and with great weapons and war banner.

Ah, for the old days when the WW GM had S6 on the charge and S5 afterwards in initiative order... :cry:

Offline Spyros

• Members
  • Altdorf City Guard
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2007, 03:36:38 PM »
Trying not to compromise too much, but maintaining a competent Master and unit, I go for Sword of power for S6 in case of protracted combats , and Shroud of Magnus for a ward save and MR2 that covers the accompanying knight unit as well (it 's bound to be targeted by everyone so MR is a must).

The rest of the plan is an 8 men knight unit with lances, full command and Banner of the Deamonslayer,
and a mounted BSB with FPA and Sword of might.

Thus on a 5 men front I pull out 4 S5 attacks at WS4, 3 S5 at WS5, and 4 S6 at WS6, and 5 S3 at WS3 (blood-dripping armoured ponies).
MR2 for the whole unit, initial CR +3 (rank, two Banners), and if outnumbering defeated enemy they auto-break him due to the Deamonslayer Banner.

I think it's an adequate hammer...

Offline Dendo Star

• Members
  • And......loving it.
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2007, 08:11:18 PM »
Sword of Power, Holy Relic- goes to war with 11 men strong unit of Inner Circle Knights with War Banner.
This build can take up challenges with most of other lords and it is not easy to kill him.

Ditto'd.
I'm in college!

Offline Patch

• Members
  • What would Chuck Norris do?
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2007, 08:27:06 PM »

Wow, 11 Guys! Haven't taken a unit of knights that big for a long while! That's one mucho-expensive unit!

My Personal favorite build is the Sword of Sigismund and the Laurels of Victory. Getting in the first blow is always good, in my book.

The (less than) triumphant return...

Offline Wyzer1

• Members
  • ^My Pic - Stuff I say ->
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2007, 10:15:01 PM »
I usually run him with a laurels of victory, sword of power and a mark of tzeentch

Its been awhile since I have used him though, I prefer to use the new Arch Lectors (like everyone else nowadays...) They are just a little more tactically versatile
Long time Wood Elf and Empire player with newly acquired High Elves

Offline angryman

• Members
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2007, 11:45:19 PM »
I also use him with Lance, Laurels of Victory, and Holy Relic.

Offline Dendo Star

• Members
  • And......loving it.
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2007, 12:07:52 AM »
I usually run him with a laurels of victory, sword of power and a mark of tzeentch

Its been awhile since I have used him though, I prefer to use the new Arch Lectors (like everyone else nowadays...) They are just a little more tactically versatile

What, what what?!
I'm in college!

Offline Northern Storm

• Members
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2007, 04:56:04 AM »
Ok here's some questions with the Grand Master in mind:

What would be better?

Holy Relic (4+ Ward Save)

or

White Cloak and Dawn Armour (5+ Ward Save and an Armour save re-roll)

Also, why no Hammers of Judgement? It's my favourite. With some half-decent rolls that thing is for all intents and purposes a Runefang 1/3 of the time, yes sometimes less but potentially even more with good rolls...for 25 pts!

Offline Ganymede

• Members
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2007, 05:14:14 AM »
Does the Grand Master have to join a unit of knights, or can he be fielded alone or with an infantry unit?

Offline Northern Storm

• Members
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2007, 05:47:49 AM »
Does the Grand Master have to join a unit of knights, or can he be fielded alone or with an infantry unit?

You have to field a unit of knights from the same order in order to even take a Grand Master, but technically that's it. Putting him in that unit of knights is highly recomended though, as they all become immune to psychology. As long as you have that unit of knights on the table, it it my understanding that the GM can do whatever he wants from there.

Offline Ganymede

• Members
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2007, 05:51:18 AM »
Heck, if that's the case, I'd simply put him in an infantry unit with a great weapon and some magical gear.

Offline skinkslayer

• Members
  • Yay for 60 inch strength ten, D6 wounds weapons!
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2007, 07:59:31 AM »
MARK OF TZEENTCH!
HERESY!
Another Tzeentch cultist to be burnt at stake.
5th  this week...

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2007, 10:37:16 AM »
Yes .. either mundane gear with Laurels of Victory and holy relic, or holy relic + sword of power ... Shroud of Magnus is also nice, since it gives the whole unit MR2 as well.

Offline Patch

• Members
  • What would Chuck Norris do?
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2007, 12:00:41 PM »
Hammer of Judgment is a great weapon for a Captain IMHO. The Poor man's Runefang... If your going to take a Grand Master, may as well go for the bigger thump weapons as well.
The (less than) triumphant return...

Offline Eglard

• Members
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2007, 02:11:04 PM »
Laurels is the best item for him. I also like to give him the holy relic. In recent times he has carried a great weapon, but thats mainly because I like my converted order so much (Hail for the knights of Sigmars Blood). The str 5 is not so bad if your fighting stuff with T 3, like elves. Hammer of judgment goes to Bsb. The grand masters retinue carries the Daemon slayer banner...

One of my friends allways takes Ludwig with a big unit of knights companied by a naked captain (lance, fpa, shield, barded warhorse). They have a massive CR of 6 (knight carry warbanner).

Offline Helborg

• Members
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2007, 02:17:40 PM »
sword of power and a holy relic

Sanj
i should really pull my trousers up now.  :icon_eek:

Offline Perambulator

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Much Less Dense Than Other Lawyers!
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2007, 02:53:33 PM »
I have always fielded him Laurels & Holy Relic, but I was thinking of Laurels & Dawn Armor if I needed the points (of course any hits that ignore armor would be bad)

If he gets a lance I don't bother with a magic weapon. +2 on the charge is hopefully good enough to break whatever he hits.
Quote from: Johan Willhelm
Quote from: Dendo Star
Muppets do not have Hatred!
I bet "Animal" has Frenzy . . .