home

Author Topic: War Alter: most bang for buck award  (Read 4742 times)

Offline Uth

• Members
War Alter: most bang for buck award
« on: December 01, 2007, 08:11:22 AM »
Who would agree or at least be tempted to agree that the War Alter is the single greatest unit choice in the game for its points value?  100 extra points for unbreakable, 4+ ward, extra attacks, extra wounds, extra toughness, extra impact hits, extra bound spell of choice from light, extra speed, extra secksy and extra retarded cool...
Who else gets a lord choice as usable and as cheap as an AL on the Walter? 

On a side note, even if you disagree that its the best in the whole game, what about the best unit choice Empire has period, and the single most critical piece of a GT list?  Could you deal with that?

Offline Wyzer1

• Members
  • ^My Pic - Stuff I say ->
Re: War AltAr: most bang for buck award
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 08:39:34 AM »
Who would agree or at least be tempted to agree that the War AltAr is the single greatest unit choice in the game for its points value?  100 extra points for unbreakable, 4+ ward, extra attacks, extra wounds, extra toughness, extra impact hits, extra bound spell of choice from light, extra speed, extra secksy and extra retarded cool...
Who else gets a lord choice as usable and as cheap as an AL on the WaltAr? 

On a side note, even if you disagree that its the best in the whole game, what about the best unit choice Empire has period, and the single most critical piece of a GT list?  Could you deal with that?
Ok, its definetly a good lord choice...

But the key thing is, your bascially paying for a massive pool of tar (compressed into one holy fella on his file o wood)

He isn't going to kill anything except large over-powered lords, so basically he is good at:

1.) Killing uber-lords
2.) Holding stuff up
3.) Surviving
4.) Having an irritating magic phase with bound spells

Considering its hard to really do much damage with him (especially after impact hits) he isn't THAT scary. Ya he's good but I wouldn't call him over-powered... Underpriced? Maybe... Overpowered? No, he's just good at killing overpowered stuff (which actually is just VHS doing its job)

So ya, instead of uber-fighty lords, we get a tough-as-nails lord thats true to the spirit of empire (can do a lot of everything just not quite as good as everyone else)
Long time Wood Elf and Empire player with newly acquired High Elves

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
  • A mind without purpose walks in dark places
    • marcwalpole
Re: War Alter: most bang for buck award
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 11:52:00 AM »
I disagree.  Nothing so far has convinced me to buy one.  Its performance at GTs are admirable but that is in a situation where unknown armies fight against each other.  I do not play in such an environment.

Any one of my armies on a standard build can deal with it.  I have played against it and it is OK.  For its magic phase contributions sure its good, but I do not like spending such a large volume of points on characters in an empire army.  The Priest is expensive as it is, never mind his silly shopping trolley.

I would say knights are far more vital for us as empire than any other unit.  They are the unit that distinguishes us from other horde army's.  Then we have our cannons which are incredibly useful.
Stare into the Abyss and the Abyss stares back.

Visit my 40k blog http://2plusdispel.blogspot.com/ updated four or more times a month and offers painting advice and gaming advice for warhammer 40,000

Offline redflag

• Members
  • An Orc Elector Count!
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 05:28:49 PM »
He is over the top if you tool him up to it, however no one forces you to give him the VHS etc.  Just because GW made it stupid not to take him with certain magical accessories that does not mean we have to  :icon_lol:

Offline cisse

• Members
  • let the wookie win!
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2007, 07:47:51 PM »
He is over the top if you tool him up to it, however no one forces you to give him the VHS etc.  Just because GW made it stupid not to take him with certain magical accessories that does not mean we have to  :icon_lol:

I don't own a War Altar for the moment, and don't have the points left over in my standard list to use one anyway. So my AL remains on foot. I wouldn't mind one bit mounting him on a WA, even with the VHS. It's effective, but hardly overpowered - no-one forces your opponent to throw his über-character at him, with a few simple tactics it's not that hard to keep him out of the game for a few turns (hatred remember, has to pursue - have done it a few times myself to one of my opponents).

Besides, there's combo's out there that are far more frightening. I remember fighting against two chaos armies with an ally, and both of those chaos armies had a lord on dragon with the eye of Tzeentch. Not one of my most enjoyable games...
cisse

No matter how fast you run, your ass will always be in front of me...

Offline CaptScott

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 02:20:48 AM »
I like the altar but as posted already, when combined with AL with it boosts its price too high for my liking.  Now the AL himself is probably the most critical GT choice (if there is one), ld 9 and 2 dd is just to valuable.

Then again our best choices are probably our plain ol' swordsmen and knights.  We are pretty blessed to have such cheap and survivable units as core, and they can kick ass!

@Uth - I see you got hit by the giant A's.  I get it everytime I spell rufus with a 'u', thats right I just did it again, I spelt Rufus with a 'u', and he's at the Mid Atlantic bash so he can't stop me!  Mwahahhaaahahaaa!!!!

:wink:
2010 - The year of Empire.
2011 - The year of Empire!

Offline Rufas the Eccentric

• The Old Ones
  • Members
  • Taken from us May 9th 2008 - But never forgotten
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007, 03:04:45 AM »
@Uth - I see you got hit by the giant A's.  I get it every time I spell rufus with a 'u', thats right I just did it again, I spelt Rufus with a 'u', and he's at the Mid Atlantic bash so he can't stop me!  Mwahahhaaahahaaa!!!!
He's back!  :icon_twisted:  However it depends on whether you mean Rufas (yours truly) or Rufus Sparkfire.  I am completely responsible for the misunderstanding.

I don't own a War Altar for the moment, and don't have the points left over in my standard list to use one anyway. So my AL remains on foot.

I own one, but so far have not had the energy to build and paint it.  It's not high on my list of projects at this time.  I like my Vice Theoginist, Johann Esmer on a barded horse and embedded in a unit.
Sigmar on a sling, the stuff some people come up with. . . .

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2007, 02:43:06 PM »
I like my Vice Theoginist, Johann Esmer on a barded horse and embedded in a unit.

Until now I never noticed that "Vice Theogonist" is quite ambiguous... Huss would call him that as well, probably, though with another meaning.

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2007, 10:20:33 AM »
back on topic I would say the War Altar is the most underpriced empire choice and under the top ten in the whole warhammer.

The damage potential and the vulnerability against cannonballs/bolt throwers being its only drawbacks. But I mean we are Empire Generals nothing in our army kills on its own (except priest led knights perhaps) you tarpit something with the altar and charge the flank of the unit.

Most people who dislike the altar because they havenīt fielded him yet or only tried him once or twice. If you get used to him he will nearly always bring his lowly 286 points (Field him with VHS, AomI and Great weapon) back in the pool. especially with the lore of light spell sunfire his damage potential rises greatly.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2007, 03:29:13 PM »
or the purging flame of the Inquisition :)

well anyhow nobody else got anything to say about the war altar?

Offline Captain Tineal

• Members
  • You will join me or die! Could you do any less?
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2007, 01:28:58 PM »
I like the War Alter.

I don't understand why people get hung up on how there is only supposed to be 1 or 2 of them... If only 2 players can field one, I vouch for spot #1 because I spent forever lovingly scratch building my own and many hours painting it.

It isn't that hard to deal with... stick it in place with a block of fodder and don't except challenges with it.  Or blast it a few times with an S7 weapon... I hardly ever make my ward save.

I absolutely HATE leaving a model in its box that I spent so much time on and invested so much love into and I HATE hearing people groan when it is on the table... I don't play it because of its abilities... they're a nice bonus... I play it because is something I invested so much into.

[/rant]
I don't know what a pisolires is but it sounds like a musical instrument you play with urine...

Offline Barbosa

• Members
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2007, 05:14:57 PM »
I am waiting on my bits for this conversion/model as well, I have high hopes for it. Mine may look a bit more...um, zealous than the boxed one.  BURN THE WITCH! ::heretic::I never really cared for the one in the box, the griffon is rather goofy looking. Anyone ever notice it was supposed to be made from jade and they went gold? :unsure: Has anyone ever tried putting this thing ina unite or posting a unit very, very close to it for support?
"Black powder weapons are not a crutch...but they can be good reasons for Elves to use crutches!"

Offline Rael

• Members
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2007, 06:47:14 PM »
Can you put it in a unit?

Offline W0lf

• Members
  • Tchar owns my soul
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2007, 06:56:40 PM »
underpriced on paper?

yes.

good in tournys against people who dont even know what race you'll be playing

yes.

Good or underpirced in a gaming group?

no.

quite simply put, large target that is destroyed by one S7 hit.
Tzeentch Mortals lover.

• Members
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2007, 07:02:27 PM »
you canīt join a unit..except a unit of chariots...well if there ever will be tomb king dogs of war perhaps it will work.

even in a gaming group it is a nice piece of pain in the ass there arenīt lots of enemies that have str 7 range attacks but even against those you could try to hide behind terrain or the steam tank (against bolt throwers) acutally we have to face the same problems a chaos general on dragon faces every time against an empire army.

Offline W0lf

• Members
  • Tchar owns my soul
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2007, 07:20:20 PM »
acutally we have to face the same problems a chaos general on dragon faces every time against an empire army.

meh my dragon has a 3+ ward.

My gaming group just dont bother wasting shots on it :P
Tzeentch Mortals lover.

Offline Colonel Goth

• Members
  • Lord of Todbrucke
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2007, 08:17:49 PM »
::heretic::I never really cared for the one in the box, the griffon is rather goofy looking. Anyone ever notice it was supposed to be made from jade and they went gold? :unsure:

Isn't the Jade Griffon the big bit of green bling he's got on his chest?

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2007, 12:52:59 AM »
::heretic::I never really cared for the one in the box, the griffon is rather goofy looking. Anyone ever notice it was supposed to be made from jade and they went gold? :unsure:

Isn't the Jade Griffon the big bit of green bling he's got on his chest?

Precisely. Although Barbosa when I first saw the model, that was my reaction too (all those many years ago).
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

• Members
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2007, 07:12:19 AM »
But there is another Griffin on the back of Volkmars popemobile.

Any of you uses the extra 6+ ward save of the war altar?
Many player forget that you still have to see what you hit on a roll of 6 "only" the Lector is hit.
on the last tournament the stegadon survived 3 cannonballs due to skinks that "got in the way"