home

Author Topic: Discworld – An apology from Photobucket - Not  (Read 82491 times)

Offline Tribun

• Members
Re: Discworld - Lancre
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2012, 03:44:16 PM »
Your army is so....adorable. This I say as a fan of whf-empire as of the discworld-novels!

I really envy you!

Offline Sharkbelly

• Members
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2012, 05:00:35 PM »
Ridiculous...

ly awesome. Nice work!

Offline yoy1zoz2mom3

• Members
  • Were am I? What month is it? I`m peckish
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2012, 10:38:19 AM »
wizards *bang bang bang* wizards *bang bang bang*

I want to see luggage too!
We don't need to reason why,
we just need to glue and buy.

Sometimes I look up and wonder,were has.my roof gone?

Self confessed hobby butterfly

Armies: 3000p of guard
1000p of ogres
3000p of orcs
1000p of snooty empire
?p of bitz

Offline JAK

• Members
« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2012, 06:49:34 PM »
This year’s Figure Exchange appeared at first glance to be a bad draw but after starting researching my opposite number it became clear that there was a link between our armies. Those of you who know Discworld and the Ankh-Morpork City Watch will know that Commander Vimes trains Sammies to send to other towns on the Disc to train their Watchmen. As Oxycutor has a band of Watchmen the obvious answer was to send him a Sammie.

So here we have Lieutenant Dik Chumley dressed as an Altdorf Watchman which Oxycutor has based on the Yeomen of the Guard. Not having guns on the Discworld this also gave me an opportunity to dispose of some of unrequired parts from my bits box.

Discworld Trolls are super intelligent in the freezing cold but despite the ice block in his hat Dik often forgets to remove the Queen’s keys from door locks so doors get pulled from walls until, as you can just make out the chain on the key breaks.

Dik with some of his fellow recruits of the Ankh-Morpork Watch before leaving for Altdolf.

Dik saying his final goodbyes to Vimes and Carrot, just in time as it appears there’s another problem with a door.   

He’s taken with him a pair of ravens, Quoth and Nevermore; while Quoth is known for his quotations Nevermore prefers the written word.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 06:41:38 PM by JAK »

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2012, 01:54:43 PM »
fantastic fantasy figure! the mended drum tavern? was this broken drum tavern, repaired after a very large fire? steveb

Offline JAK

• Members
Re: Discworld
« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2012, 11:18:44 AM »
steveb – The Drum was burnt down a number of times so I think it has an interchangeable name either Broken or Mended – mine has Broken on the unseen side of the sign.

When I started to read Oxycutor’s blog the first sentence gave the reaction ‘OMG-  soth’s stitched me up good and proper this time’ which lasted until page 4 when my saviours the Watchmen appeared. A number of ideas had been formulated by the time I’d reached the blog’s end and after doing some research on the Guards of the Bloody Tower the first picture shows the base figure and the sort of parts I’d planned to make use of.

Picture two is getting the stance right.

Picture three the detail is added.

I knew I’d need to do a single base and intended to use the raven and barrel but Dik needed more on his base as it looked a little empty. Trolls are thick and having a bunch of keys chained to a belt gives opportunities to forget to take the key out of the lock – which gives first chain or old masonry – eventually both.

Dik settling to his new home

Lieutenant Dik Chumley, Devourer of Bovine, Keeper of Keys and Ravenmaster.

A laughing troll but yesterday,
a merry rock blithe and gay,
whose joyous shout came ringing
out unchecked by  care or sorrow.
Today a watchman all sandbrown
whose deeds of soldierly renown
are all the boast of Altdorf Town.
A veteran tomorrow - today a Watchman!!!

Modeled & painted by JAK from ideas suggested by Oxycutor, AS & WSG, TDJP & H8.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 06:42:28 PM by JAK »

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2012, 11:45:48 AM »
Wow, I feel priveleged to have got this.

Offline JAK

• Members
Discworld - Wee Mad Arthur
« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2012, 06:35:09 PM »
Having to visit the Royal College of Heralds on an errand for Captain Carrot, Wee Mad Arthur  noticed one of the heraldic beasts roaming free around the courtyard. While his offer to help return the creature to its cage was refused being a good copper he felt his assistance was required. He quickly overpowered it in his usual way and as they approached the cage he thought “aye t’d be a shame not to give yon wee fella a test drive”.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 06:44:09 PM by JAK »

Offline Armholeeio

• Members
« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2012, 07:03:18 PM »
Love the idea of wee mad Arthur head butting something into submission  that should with all reason eat him while shouting crivens or youse scuner ( post I shall wear midnight )
If it wasn't for the dried frog pills i would be mad !!!!!!!

Offline JAK

• Members
Discworld - Duke of Quirm’s Heavyweight Cavalry
« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2012, 07:38:32 PM »
There is little in the Discworld books about war and armies although Jingo talks of massed spears and Monstrous Regiments has crossbows. To make up for any obscure or other species’ weapons that might be included in my army military history is treated as evolving differently with the bow having long been superseded by the crossbow and  the lance not yet invented, so neither weapons are used.

An exception you may have noticed on an earlier page is the Duke of Quirm’s bowmen. Quirm is noted as a dull and sleepy backwater of a place and as Sergeant Colon learnt to use a longbow in this regiment many years ago, it seemed only right to model them as if stuck in the ways of their heyday. However an inventor from Quirm is currently residing in Vetinari’s dungeons (willingly) in Ankh-Morpork where he can work unhindered on his peaceful creations. Many of these inventions are lethal and Vetinari has requested that Lord Rodley, His Grace the Duke of Quirm tests one out, there being little point in any other country spying on him in the hope of finding military progress.

Here we have the Duke of Quirm’s Heavyweight Cavalry with their leader Lord Rodley himself.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 06:44:24 PM by JAK »

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #60 on: October 10, 2012, 03:00:29 AM »
I just finished ordering 5 or 6 discworld movies off of net flix, and came to forum and found this new post, it is wonderful. You are doing an excellent job of interpreting Mr Pratchett's works. keep it up. steveb

Offline Alleton

• Members
  • I'm not unit champion, shoot someone else!
« Reply #61 on: October 11, 2012, 06:32:22 PM »
They have movies? I read the books but didn't know anything about movies!
Demonslayer
 "hey, let's use one of those seals that keep ultimate darkness contained and use it to fry goblins, also have it be operated by the college janitor".

Warhammer Plog:
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=42622.msg751211#msg751211

Offline JAK

• Members
Discworld
« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2012, 09:08:56 AM »
There were two feature length cartoons back in the 1990s – Wyrd Sisters and Soul Music - and this century Sky TV has shown three films, now out on DVD  - The Hogfather,  The Colour of Magic and Going Postal.

On 1 Oct 2012 Terry set up NARRATIVIA, a multimedia production company with exclusive worldwide rights to all his work across Film, Television, Merchandising and Digital Media. They are already working on a number of film and TV projects including a TV series based on the Ankh-Morpork City Watch.

Offline JAK

• Members
« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2012, 02:27:28 PM »
Brother and sister Andrei and Elsa von Uberwald, Yennork Werewolf shepherds  from Borogravia.

(My entry for the June unit filler  competition finally finished – perhaps when I start work I‘ll have as much time to paint as Mr Chumley Warner)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 06:44:43 PM by JAK »

Offline Armholeeio

• Members
« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2012, 05:38:17 PM »
I love how you have made so many of the obscure back ground characters that give pratchett's books a great little flavour to his worlds he has made. There are many fantasy books that miss the mark because the background has no life or soul to it . Keep up the good work, I am looking to what other character your going to bring to life so too speak.  :eusa_clap:
If it wasn't for the dried frog pills i would be mad !!!!!!!

Offline JAK

• Members
Discworld - Uberwail Werewolves
« Reply #65 on: November 04, 2012, 02:27:17 PM »
Most of the rest of the von Uberwald wolf pack from near Bonk in Uberwald. From left to right we have: Gavin ; Yellowfang or Mme Serafine Soxe-Bloonberg von Uberwald – mother ; Andri and Elsa – son and daughter ; Silvertail or Baron Guye von Uberwald - father & Delphine Angua von Uberwald - daughter.

Gavin besides not being part of the family is the odd one out as he (and the sheep for the pedantic) is the only non-Were.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 06:44:54 PM by JAK »

Offline somegeezer

• Members
« Reply #66 on: November 04, 2012, 02:58:36 PM »
This is utterly bonkers.

There are a ton of fantastic painters on this board but this is my favourite thread of them all (not least as I come from our own world's equivalent of Lancre).

Hats off to you, sir. You nutter!  :::cheers:::
My Middenheim plog:
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=45674.0

Sporadic ramblings about wargaming (not just Warhammer):
http://wgrevival.wordpress.com/

Offline Spjuth

• Members
« Reply #67 on: November 04, 2012, 05:41:11 PM »
They look super cool!

Offline JAK

• Members
Re: Discworld - Mightily Oats
« Reply #68 on: January 31, 2013, 03:40:04 PM »
The Quite Reverend Mightily-Praiseworthy-Are-Ye-Who-Exalteth-Om Oates

The Rev Oats a Priest of Om. Following his experiences with the Witches of Lancre and the Vampires of Uberwald he now preaches Forgiveness to all as he spreads the word of Om to the heathen.

Forgiveness can come in many ways, including the cold steel of his double-headed axe.   
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 06:45:31 PM by JAK »

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #69 on: January 31, 2013, 05:23:35 PM »
That's the Kal Jericho model? Great conversion, lovely painting as usual.
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline The Ol Perfesser

• Members
« Reply #70 on: January 31, 2013, 08:30:50 PM »
Really fun army.  Great painting.  Two thumbs way up!!  :eusa_clap:
Never make predictions, especially about the future.

Offline JAK

• Members
« Reply #71 on: February 07, 2013, 09:04:58 PM »
Sorry Darknight , that’s not Kal, just a regular 40k Witch Hunter.

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #72 on: February 07, 2013, 09:09:02 PM »
Yeah, in looking at it now I see I erred. Still, sweet model and really well-done - as always with your stuff!
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #73 on: February 08, 2013, 02:08:31 AM »
Looking great. Awesome inspiration. The disceworld has always been one of my favorite fantasy series and to see it 'leaking' over into warhammer is hilarious. :biggriin:

Offline theorox

• Members
Discworld - Mightily Oats
« Reply #74 on: February 08, 2013, 08:05:42 AM »
This is amazing. I love everything in this thread. :D

Theo