home

Author Topic: Army builder?  (Read 1517 times)

Offline TexasYankee

• Members
Army builder?
« on: November 01, 2017, 11:16:04 PM »
For years I have use Army builder to make my lists (for both Fantasy and 40K). It's been months, but AB has finally released a set of files for 8th Ed 40K, but they are only for the Indexes, and not for any of the new Codexes. (And even the index ones are REALLY screwed up). I have and use Battlescribe, and although it's very good for building lists, it's very cumbersome to print out without getting deep into he margins and styles. Lately I've been building my lists in Battlescribe, and then just transferring the data onto an Excel spreadsheet of my own design.

Anyone know of an on-line list builder that works for them?
So, what would you guys do if some dude came at you with a belt that way?
Make sure I've got the safeword memorised.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
Re: Army builder?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 09:21:02 AM »
Battlescribe is the best one I'm aware of, it's free and produces quite readable lists with just a few clicks in the print options. It also tends to have up to date data files very quickly. What is it that you find cumbersome about printing lists? Perhaps I'm not seeing it, but I find it easy as chips and love the options it gives you (include detailed points to just summaries, include rules and profiles or just names...)

Army Builder can go fuck itself and die in a ditch. They demand 40 dollars for their program and rely on fans to make the data files, which hasn't happened for 8th. Which you wouldn't know unless you browse their forums. So as a 40K gamer who gets there via google you'd pay 40 dollars for a program that doesn't help you in the slightest, unless you're willing to enter all the relevant data yourself... sounds great, but I think I'll pass.

There used to be another one, very briefly, at the start of 8th edition, but GW shut it down right quick. Understandably so, since the guy was using all the rules and points costs directly on his site, complete with pictures of the units in question. Bit of a shame, it was looking quite good.

That's the only ones I'm aware of atm, except for onlinecodex, which is German and not updated as frequently as BattleScribe files tend to be.

Offline TexasYankee

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 04:22:27 PM »
What is it that you find cumbersome about printing lists? Perhaps I'm not seeing it, but I find it easy as chips and love the options it gives you (include detailed points to just summaries, include rules and profiles or just names...)

Two things, mainly. First is that my 2,000 point list can be as long as 30 pages. I went in during the print option and got it down to about 13 pages; I'll go back in again and play with it as you are not the first brother to tell me I can get it down to a much more manageable scale.

Second, I keep having errors with the updates, stating it can't load for various reasons. Since it is free, I can delete and re-load the entire thing, and then I get all the latest updates, which I don't mind, but it gets a bit tiresome. That probably has more to do with the settings on my machine than anything else, but never had that issue with Army Builder.

Army Builder can go fuck itself and die in a ditch.

Dude!  :Ohmy:

But seriously, I spent $40 almost eight years ago, and have used it for all that time to make hundreds of lists, so I consider it money well spent.  :-D

There used to be another one, very briefly, at the start of 8th edition, but GW shut it down right quick. Understandably so, since the guy was using all the rules and points costs directly on his site, complete with pictures of the units in question. Bit of a shame, it was looking quite good.

Yes, saw that one, and it was VERY cool, but knew it would only be a matter of time before GW hit him with the C&D.

That's the only ones I'm aware of atm, except for onlinecodex, which is German and not updated as frequently as BattleScribe files tend to be.

My grandmother spoke a little German from time-to-time, I took two years of German in college, and even used to speak it in the Army since so many of my friends were stationed in K-town, but, still . . . Ich spreche ein bissen Deutch, nitch sehr gute. (And, yes, I know I just mangled that.)
So, what would you guys do if some dude came at you with a belt that way?
Make sure I've got the safeword memorised.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 07:06:05 PM »
I've switched to BS from AB some time ago. Much better databases and it's easier to use. Dunno about any other alternatives, sorry.
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 12:44:15 PM »
Battlescribe user here my self (and also updater for the AoS section... if they get their head around a technical update I can't help fix..)

And GW has said on several occasions to come out with their own as a 40k counterpart for Warscroll Builder, but I don't know how long it will take them to launch it.
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 09:51:33 PM »
I don't know how up-to-date it is, but I used to use this:

http://www.epicroster.com/

which was a really nice army builder (and free!), but like with other army builders, you may need to check it with the codex after updates to insure its correct.
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog