home

Author Topic: Lots of empire stuff on Last Chance to Buy  (Read 5795 times)

Offline KindledAshe

• Members
Re: Lots of empire stuff on Last Chance to Buy
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2019, 10:00:31 PM »
What are Goldswords? Tried to google but couldn't find it

Offline Gargolock

• Members
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2019, 11:06:28 PM »
Goldswords refer to the plastic greatswords kit, they are called Goldswords because of their price per model being so outrageous.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2019, 11:52:52 PM »
The plastic great swords kit really is quite the package.  At the time I was appalled at the price, yet as inflation has driven up other costs, I snapped up a kit this past weekend for 41.25 barely hesitating.

Think I have two unopened great sword kits currently, maybe three.  And I have at least one unopened huntsmen kit, maybe two.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2019, 03:12:33 AM »
They were a fantastic kit which, if you remember came out with the plastic "Goldswords" and the furore that followed.
Along with a lot of others I suspect, it was the beginning of the end of my love affair with GW, and the time when I started looking at all the other manufacturers out there.

Same. But I already had some much I have found it hard to buy much from elsewhere either.
Black Orcs and Minotaurs also fit into that category for me at being too expensive for what you get.

Cost aside, they are really great kits (goldswords and huntsmen that is)
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Atchman

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2019, 06:38:22 AM »
@GamesPoet  - it's gonna be a challenge as they've been a direct only item for at least a year. Maybe check some brick and mortar stores, maybe there's a box somwhere out there, sitting on a back shelf?

@Atchman - there's a lot of alternatives, but unfortunately very few things match the heroic scale of citadel. The proportions and height of the Warlord's, Perry's and other historical miniatures just looks way off (at least to me). I'd have to start a whole new army, using nothing but the historical models and that's not what me and many others are after - which is expanding our current forces. That is going to be more and more difficult over time.

You say that but I have a mixture of Marauder models and other models which were HUGE compared to others.  Racticus and I have been looking at the pikemen models and they are 28 mm but sculpted with normal sized hands.  If I find a picture I'll post it up.  My personal opinion is GW messed up our game and while I have thousands of their models, I won't buy anymore unless I just can't find a replacement.  So many great companies now that make fantastic looking models. 

I did trade some Kislev Winged Lancers for two boxes of Stormvermin.  There are some 3D printed ones that look okay, but I would like most of my army to look decent since it is my tournament army. On the other hand I have a complete unit of Blights (Plague Monks) that are Marauder models and HUGE compared to my plastic ones.  On the table though it doesn't make the much difference. They both look good out there. 

Right now I'm painting "Empire" Pikemen to match my Empire Middenland Force.  They are some Hinchcliffe models I got in the 1970's.  They look great on the table alongside my GW models.  They are the same height but they aren't as bulky as the GW figures.  Unless you are playing in a place that uses only GW models, why go through the expense? I'm using them in my Middenland/Middenheim Kings of War army.  I even get to use my War Wagon! 

For all you Empire refugees you should try Kings of War. I was able to use all of my Empire models without any modification. 
"Do not gloat when your enemy falls; when he stumbles, do no let your heart rejoice"

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2019, 11:05:55 AM »
I saw the Kings of War rules being sold in a store, and might pick them up at some point.

I'm all for using other companies figures, yet I like the looks of the old GW one's too.  Planning on picking up as many Empire kits as I can find, and probably some of the others, before they are no longer being sold by GW.  It is probably just a matter of time.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline mr chumley warner

• Members
  • Ninth Age , paint everything, Metal Only !
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2019, 04:08:06 PM »
Games Workshop sicken me, all plastic shite, AOS - what is it anyway, sorry for the rant, it's all so wrong
Ask yourself , what is real? 5 sense filtered reality is a very limited perspective.

Offline Gargolock

• Members
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2019, 05:15:26 PM »
Not really much to do with the discontinue of the Empire but I have now switched to Kings Of War, Age Of Sigmar began boring me with its dull movement system. I don't think Cities of Sigmar will be of any interest if so little of the empire is there. GW has stopped caring about both my favourite factions so I don't care that much about them anymore.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2019, 08:09:19 AM »
The Warscryer Citadel is on last chance to buy ...

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Warhammer?N=2070689437+3155674414&Nr=AND%28sku.siteId%3AUS_gw%2Cproduct.locale%3Aen_US_gw%29&Nrs=collection%28%29%2Frecord%5Bproduct.startDate+%3C%3D+1569114360000+and+product.endDate+%3E%3D+1569114360000%5D

Didn't have one of these, and decided to purchase one.  I'd love to have two, one to build and one to use for conversions, but alas at $110, I just picked up one.

Offline Gargolock

• Members
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2019, 04:34:37 PM »
The Warscryer citadel has been on last chance to buy for almost a year here in Canada. I think they have 2 left or something and no one has bought them yet. I have considered it but its a considerable amount of money for a piece of terrain.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2019, 10:31:52 AM »
I would love one, but yeah, its expensive...
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2019, 01:01:52 PM »
I have been debating that one myself, other than the cheesy skulls on it, its a cool piece. However, it isn't really usable. It's too vertical as opposed to horizontal, so you are paying all that money for something that might look cool on the table, but unless you are playing Mordheim, and even at that, you arent going to get much use from it. I imagine though, it would look cool towering over a forest or something. But everytime I get close to flirting with picking one up, the skulls put me off. Its such 80s looking cheese.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2019, 11:42:54 PM »
Well when it first came out, the skulls on the observatory portion really turned me off.  But now, I'm wondering how these bits all work, and I hope the various parts can be used to create portions of the model to link for the model itself, or be used with other terrain ideas, and in separate pieces.  Maybe I can even skip the skull section and just put the observatory dome on the piece below it.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2019, 05:16:15 PM »
I'm strongly considering buying more Pistoliers and Outriders, more of the former than the latter, before these too eventually disappear.  Although I have not heard a rumor of such.

Offline The Black Knight

• Members
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2019, 06:08:37 PM »
I think they are safe for a while GP. Until the next ed of AOS drops at least.
"All right... we'll call it a draw".

My fantasy-themed terrain log

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2019, 07:39:32 PM »
My package with the Warscryer Citadel has arrived.

It doesn't look easy to make the various building sections modular in nature so that they can be used separately or together.  If I do this, then it will be one heck of a project to adapt it in this way.

The skulls, particularly the larger ones, still aren't my cup of tea.  They are smaller than I imagined, so that's good.

Also, there are bastion/rampart pieces included with the kit.  These can be used in place of the observatory dome to provide for a different looking and a nice look for a more tower oriented protective scenery piece.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2019, 07:57:34 PM »
Interesting about the bastion pieces. I dont recall seeing any photos of those.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2019, 08:11:49 PM »
I thought so too, and couldn't recall seeing those previously either.  There's a picture of it in place on the instructions inside, and the instructions include showing it as well.  It gives the terrain piece a different look and I like it!