home

Author Topic: Small Mordheim interlude, with table!  (Read 65780 times)

Offline Westfalia

• Members
Re: Small Mordheim interlude, with table!
« Reply #125 on: July 31, 2016, 01:36:30 PM »
Your conversions are briliant, and so is your painting and the table.

Thanks for sharing :--)

Offline hagen88

• Members
« Reply #126 on: June 24, 2019, 01:52:10 PM »
Threadomancy!!!
I know it's been literally years since I updated this blog... Truth is with all the scorn that AoS was getting I felt my experiments with the new setting would not have been too well received in here. But we are back to Mordheim now and since I have fond memories of posting on this forum I decided to resuscitate this thread and post my recent works and, hopefully, all about the campaign we are preparing for this coming July!

This is Graf Hrobert Von Uhland, the Red Griffon of Carroburg and the first mordheim adventurer I have been working on in more than 2 years.
Hrobert is a Freelance Knight who'll be joining my reiklanders as soon as I have the money to afford his hiring cost.
The model was created to represent the "perfect knight", the iconic Empire martial nobleman who is a graceful cross between Holy Roman Empire knights and militarist prussian aristocracy. I wanted to reflect this as much as possible in the model and so the bits fro the conversion were carefully selected from a number of kits to give an idea of martial prowess and high birth.

For those of you who are interested in a bit of background this is the tragic story of this hired sword.

Who is the Red Griffon of Mordheim? Some say he is a paragon of knightly virtue, worthy of the blood of the Unberogens that runs thick in his veins. Others swear he is only a miserable oathbreaker and a traitor of his class.
Whatever the truth all concur one one thing: a terrible curse hangs heavily upon him.

Hrobert Von Uhland was born in Carroburg, the second son of Burgraf Leitmar Von Uhland and Baroness Olla Von Siebold-Stoltzer. Destined to a military career the boy was sent to Altdorf court where he had the honour of studying under Count Dietrich Van Dorff, weapon master of Prince Siegfried. Quickly realising his potential his teacher entrusted the young to the order of the Knights of Sigmar's Blood where Hrobert was accepted at the age of eighteen.
HIs career within the order was rapid and successful. At the Battle of Helmgart he distinguished himself as a squire of the Claw Guard subsequently earning his spurs at the tournament of Ubersreik, where he unhorsed seven senior knights including the Count of Nordland and finally ascended to the rank of Preceptor, one of the youngest knights to receive this honour.
HIs raising star seemed unstoppable and many of his fellow knights would look at him as a candidate to the title of Grand Master one day. But that all changed a few years later when Hrobert was implicated in the scandal of the Wedding Procession of Countess Von Alptraum.
Betrothed to the Elector Count Martin of Stirland the Countess was preparing her long voyage from Averheim to Wurtbad and to grant her protection along the road the Knights of Sigmar's Blood sent a detachment under the command of Graf Von Uhland.
When the caravan was attached by beatmen while crossing the Stir Hrobert was forced to face a difficult decision. His knights were taken by surprise by the assailants and the muddy ground of the river bank slowed their horses and prevented them to rally and disperse the enemy. Realising the danger Hrobert acted quickly, snatching the Countess from her coach and fleeing inside the Stirwald.
More than one month passed before the two managed to finally reach the gates of Wurtbad, bloody and exhausted but safe. Hrobert was saluted as a hero by the Count for saving his future bride but his gratitude turned into fury when, just a few days after their arrival, Countess Von Alptraum burst into teas and asked the count to cancel the wedding as her heart already belonged to the knight who so bravely saved her from certain death. Hrobert was still recovering from his woulds when the Count's guards arrested him and took him to court where he was immediately put on trial under accuse of seducing the young noblewoman.
Forced to defend himself and under threat of excommunication from his order Hrobert swore his innocence on everything he hold dear. He swore on his honour and when this failed in appeasing his judges he swore upon the lives of his family that he was true and he never touched the bride-to-be.
Eventually the Count's justicar was forced to release the young knight as no irrefutable evidence of his guilt was found but it was too late to stop the murmurs.
Von Uhland's reputation received the final blow only one year after, when news of a tremendous calamity that befell the city of Mordheim, in Ostermark, reached the halls of the knights' fortress.
A second letter came from Carroburg just a few days after announcing that Hrobert's father, the Burgraf, his firstborn son and his wife were all visiting the court of Count Von Steinhard when the city was smothered by Sigmar's wrath.
Those who were present at his trial in Wurtbad were quick to remember Hrobert's words and the oath he sworn upon the life of his family. Now they all lay dead and to many that was proof enough that the knight had lied and tarnished his reputation beyond repair. He was immediately expelled from the order and sent back to Carroburg in disgrace. Incapable of accepting the shame Hrobert refused to take his rightful place in his family's palace and sold all his lands and titles, giving the money to his ancient order and keeping only his armour and his steed.
Then he rode towards Mordheim, some say to try to find his parents alive and cleanse his reputation, while others suggest that he is merely seeking death to put an end to the curse he bestowed upon himself.
Nobody knows the truth anyway and many warriors found their doom during a duel with the Red Griffon for asking him about the Countess.

So a noble but cursed knight whose reputation hangs in balance between being the pinnacle of knighthood and a traitor of his sacred vows... Nobody will ever know where the truth lies.

Nice to be back anyway, I hope you guys will forgive me for this shameful case of threadomancy.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #127 on: June 24, 2019, 04:10:05 PM »
WOW welcome back nice figure sir
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #128 on: June 24, 2019, 05:34:11 PM »
that is impressive indeed. You haven't lost your touch!
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
« Reply #129 on: June 24, 2019, 05:44:24 PM »
Great to have you back! As we have come to expect from you, this conversion is fantastic, and so is the painting! I see you even beheaded one of these gryphon hounds for it. The only part I can not identify is the knight's head - a Sormcast Eternal's?

About your venture into the world of AoS: It's true that some of us are not exactly fond of AoS and the aesthetics of some/many of the new miniatures, and I'm probably the worst one here regarding this. But that does not mean that we don't appreciate clever conversions and great painting! I think I have stumbled across pictures of your warbands by accident (Tzeentch and some white/golden free people units?) - while I like your warhammer fantasy work more (naturally!), I remember liking your AoS miniatures as well. And if I can appreciate them, everyone else here will too. Feel free to showcase them in a new thread!  :icon_wink:

Offline Realjuan

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Always learning
« Reply #130 on: June 24, 2019, 06:06:01 PM »
Really nice work Graf Hrobert Von Uhland. I also want to thank you, because this thread showed me that I can still get my images from photobucket. Didnt have many, but now I grab them and deleting my account. Never again will let stuff like that happen. I think they deleted an older account already :(
Trading Orcs for Empire
"Gratitude is a duty which ought to be paid, but which none have a right to expect" Jean Jacque Rousseau

Offline hagen88

• Members
« Reply #131 on: June 25, 2019, 01:57:04 PM »
Thank you guys, always a pleasure to hear back from you!

Victor, well spotted on the gryph hound head on the helmet... I thought quite hard about it but in the end it seem to reinforce the griffon theme on the model which was the aim. The head is from the Stormcast Sequitor kit... I have to confess that I bought the set just for the spare heads as I find them really excellent sculpts and very suitable for my style of conversions.

Regarding AoS in general I have been really enjoying trying to make the bland setting more appealing by developing unexplored corners and getting he most out of the sketchy description of the Realms... I will post some of those works in here, if only to see how people will react to them eheheh

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #132 on: June 25, 2019, 02:22:52 PM »
Welcome back, and a fine and fitting figure with fabulous fluff to go with him, excellent! :icon_biggrin: :icon_cool: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #133 on: June 26, 2019, 10:47:35 AM »
Regarding AoS in general I have been really enjoying trying to make the bland setting more appealing by developing unexplored corners and getting he most out of the sketchy description of the Realms... I will post some of those works in here, if only to see how people will react to them eheheh

Most of the bitterness has passed, or at least most have accepted its a thing that exists, isn’t going away. The hobby ultimately can benefit from quality work regardless of source material!

In other words, I look forward to seeing what you have been up to, and I imagine so do a lot of others!
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #134 on: July 03, 2019, 04:45:03 PM »
Impressive. My guess for the bits:

Shins, helmet top, torso, arms: Demigryph kit

Sword: Pistoliers

Thighs: Goldswords

Shield: Empire knight

Shoulder pad: Imperial guard tank kit

Right hand, left hand, head: ???
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 03:52:08 PM by patsy02 »
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline Chris

• Members
« Reply #135 on: July 03, 2019, 09:12:51 PM »
This model is bonkers!  :Ohmy: You've got to share how did you paint it so realistically.
United Army of the Empire - my WFB Empire army log

Adventure time! - random minis

Offline Brother Sutek

• Members
« Reply #136 on: July 05, 2019, 01:50:12 AM »
Welcome back! Amazing stuff as usual, did you ever finish your thesis?
I may disagree with what you say but I respect your right to be punished for it.

"CRRUUDDDAAAAAAACCCCEEEEEEE!!!!!!" <shakes fist at the sky>
-Pirate Robot Ninja of Death

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #137 on: July 06, 2019, 07:20:02 PM »
nice work dude, welcome back  :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Albrecht Hexenjaeger

• Members
  • Imperial Liberal
« Reply #138 on: August 26, 2019, 03:31:23 AM »
Marvelous and inspiring! :::cheers:::
I got my affordable healthcare. Now I need affordable miniatures.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #139 on: September 13, 2019, 01:08:12 PM »
Jaw-dropping.

Where's the head from? Does GW still make good-looking human heads?

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #140 on: September 13, 2019, 03:09:26 PM »
Jesus that guy is awesome. Man I wish I knew how to use green stuff. I have to rely on plastic parts doing everything I want.

Offline Doc J

• Members
  • The Prince of Brooklyn Park
« Reply #141 on: September 10, 2021, 03:35:10 AM »
I'm absolutely flattened by this guy, amazing work, he's super handsome.
In the words of the late great Nicki Minaj - Ya done son

Offline Sharkbelly

• Members
« Reply #142 on: September 11, 2021, 01:46:14 PM »
Awesome green stuff work. Well done!

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #143 on: September 11, 2021, 04:15:48 PM »
Aha!

I've seen this guy before on Pinterest (and pinned of course) but never realised the WIP was on here!

Really excellent stuff indeed :::cheers:::