home

Author Topic: How out of date is your first post?  (Read 13987 times)

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
Re: How out of date is your first post?
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2018, 02:41:38 AM »

The pics are from my paint log over at Warseer, and I don't mind Mr. Anderssen posting the pics here (kind of flattered, actually) with the link back to the original.

Just to explain my take on doing a Marianburg army... I'm doing it as a mercenary army with a stong Empire/landsknecht look & feel. Since they are mercenaries and Marienburg is home to a lot of other races, I'm mixing in the old dwarves, halflings and ogres that have a similar look (mainly the old Marauder minis), plus a few of Marienburg's "Sea Elf" community (right now using Reavers as DoW light cav.) Some of the characters and standards and such will have more of a specifically Marienburg look. (The general -- in the back of those photos -- has orange armour, for example.)

So that's it, basically a multi-racial Empire inspired merenary army.

(I'm an occasional lurker here, and will post some pics when I get some more done. Thanks for the compliments guys. I was actually poking around looking to see what other people have done for Marienburg.)

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2018, 06:44:15 AM »
Forgot to comment... Over 10 years later and I'm still slowly working on the army! Sold off a few bits in desperation a while ago, but definitely still more going on. In fact, my Empire project has outlasted the Old World (as we all have.) :::cheers:::

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2018, 02:52:05 PM »
That's awesome. It's amazing that we're still talking about Knights and our armies to this very day, even after years.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2018, 02:53:42 PM »
I'm so glad that 023 didn't get rid of his Empire army, it is a beauty.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2018, 10:17:28 PM »
That's awesome. It's amazing that we're still talking about Knights and our armies to this very day, even after years.

That's what's great about this hobby. Pure passion. Love it.
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2018, 05:45:53 AM »
Greetings from Helsinki, Finland!

Here's a Warhammer newbie at the ripe age of 33. Our Warhammer FRPG campaign grew into tactical and strategic proportions, and we started to game the battles with GW rules. And I started to collect Empire figures. They're really quite nice. I've got a bacground in RPGs, strategy and tactical simulation, plus modelling, so that the step into Warhammer was a short one.

In real life, I'm a historian, writer, teacher, what you got.

Zygmund is my WHF RPG character, and perhaps one day the captain of my Stirland army.  :happy:

Still factual, but I'm a bit older and Zygmund really has become the proud captain general of my Stirland army. I'm actually in the process of redoing all the models that represent him. Since after years of hobbying & collecting I finally have the fitting models.

I think my English got a little bit better on way.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2018, 12:13:53 PM »
5 of January 2007

Well, my name is Mattias but I will change it to my alias Mathi Alfblut later

Amnyway, I have been into Warhammer and 40K for about three years know. My first army is the High elves and my second is the Wood elves.

But I have always been wanting to do an Imperial force and now might be the time. I am an archaeologist and a general history buff so I plan to make an army based around the swedish armies from the middle ages and renaissance. Lots of farmer warriors and some regulars.

My son field an ever growing Empire army with lots of blackpowder so I am not without Empire connections.

For 40k I am assembling a Sisters of Battle force (The order of the Lily) and an Imperial guard regiment, the 303:rd Enfield rifles, themed around the british army of late World War 1.
I am also assembling an Eldar strike force and have some Tyranids waiting for their turn.
Down the line is a planned Black Templar force...

Apart from this I do re-enactment in a 17th century society but also have a viking dress and usually works at open-air prehistoric museums. And yes, it is me in the avatar.

I am also a soldier of the Homeguard, but I am thinking of steeping down.

Well, that is it.

Still a soldier of the Homeguard
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2018, 12:40:04 PM »
I was looking at my first post (posted further back on this thread), and decided to answer the question of the thread ... it is a bit out of date.

Since then I've bought so many more Empire figures, even gotten into 40K a good bit, and moved through playing 6th, 7th, and 8th edition of WFB while having 5th, 6th, and 7th starter boxes as my entries into Empire, Orks, Dwarfs, Goblins, Skaven, and HE.  My Empire figures far out number any of the others, and I enjoy playing Empire vs. Empire games, especially if it is linked into a campaign like situation having the games flow from a story line.  I've played in a number of on line campaigns and have even GMed a few ... the Animosity series playing in Araby, Cathay, Estalia, and the northern area beyond Kislev, along with the W-E campaigns of Marienburg, Tilea, and Middenland ... Gming with Da Kaptain for the Karibean series.  Oh, and there was the story campaign done here on W-E called The Solland Effort of 2524.

Since then I've meandered back into historical miniatures, the hobby of my youth, and introduced my nephews and niece to painting and gaming.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2018, 07:22:37 PM »
Just me giving someone dodgy list-building advice. In 2003.
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2018, 09:09:46 PM »
Just me giving someone dodgy list-building advice. In 2003.

This i must hear

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2018, 01:45:18 AM »
get rid of the archers or upgrade them to huntsmen, get a captain with a great weapon, armour of meteoric iron and sigil of sigmar instead f a wizard, make the crossbow sizes 10 and(just for the units loking good) take the spearmen and halberds down to 19 and put your characters in them. otherwize its a vry good list actually :)

You should have just banned me on the spot for recommending huntsmen tbh.
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2018, 01:54:08 AM »
#HuntsmenForLife

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2018, 09:40:32 AM »
Respect the Huntsmen. Long bows are awesome.
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

Gneisenau

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Eurobash : Ascension weekend. Be there !
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2018, 02:40:20 PM »
#stophuntsmenhate
Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2018, 04:16:45 PM »
They just want to be loved! It's not their fault they don't get to be as popular as the glorious halberd man, or the fierce steam tank.

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2018, 06:52:44 PM »
As it happens, in 8th they are/were very useful against armies with vanguard units.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2018, 07:08:21 PM »
There we have it. Pasty was just ahead of his time.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2018, 09:39:46 PM »
They just want to be loved! It's not their fault they don't get to be as popular as the glorious halberd man, or the fierce steam tank.

I'd take strength 4 any day!

(Had to be said, as long as we're all waxing nostalgic.)

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2018, 10:16:08 PM »
They were rather good for guarding war machines and sniping flying units!

Gneisenau

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2018, 10:18:24 PM »
You did not need Huntsmen for that - Archers would do.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2018, 08:22:46 AM »
Eh, true enough. Still, I like them. Dunno why. Maybe for their elite status? After all, elites are more glamorous. ;)

Gneisenau

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2018, 09:59:42 AM »
Huntsmen are the best. Just that the game & its various editions don't pay attention to this fact. You cannot portray the real benefits of strongbow forest striders on typically barren 4"x6" tables. They are forest scouts, who see the enemy and snipe at them, but vanish in the forest when pursued. Strategically, seeing the enemy and remaining unseen should be a key to winning. But this is not a strategy game, it's a bloodbath game.

Lament.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2018, 10:08:50 AM »
You're right. The only ones that could've pulled this of, are the Wood Elves. Shame. :unsure:

Gneisenau

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2018, 10:59:36 AM »
Huntsmen are the best. Just that the game & its various editions don't pay attention to this fact. You cannot portray the real benefits of strongbow forest striders on typically barren 4"x6" tables. They are forest scouts, who see the enemy and snipe at them, but vanish in the forest when pursued. Strategically, seeing the enemy and remaining unseen should be a key to winning. But this is not a strategy game, it's a bloodbath game.

Lament.
I use 4' x 6' tables, much more space than 4 x 6 inches as described in your post. :icon_wink:

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2018, 11:23:52 AM »
I use 4' x 6' tables, much more space than 4 x 6 inches as described in your post. :icon_wink:

Now now it was an honest mistake, no real harm done. I mean it wasn't like he was trying to order a Stonehenge replica or anything.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan