home

Author Topic: Friendly games vs. WoC, HE, Skaven or VC @ 2000 p  (Read 1426 times)

Offline Muppet

• Members
Friendly games vs. WoC, HE, Skaven or VC @ 2000 p
« on: March 17, 2010, 07:45:51 PM »
Hello everyone,

I am heading for a nice weekend with some old friends, good food, good beer and a high focus on WHFB. I have been trying to put together a list that will work decently against any of the above opposition, as if heading for a tournament. I will give you the list below and also what else I have that I can swap things for. Thankful for suggestions, comments and the like.

Characters
Arch Lector, great weapon, AoMI, VHS                                                                             186
Wizard lev, 2, rod of power                                                                                              130
Warrior priest, barded warhorse, heavy armour, hammer of might, enchanted shield    138
Captain, pegasus, full plate, shield, lance, doomfire ring                                                 144

Core
19 spearmen, shield, FC + 9 swordsmen det                                                                   188
19 swordsmen, FC                                                                                                            139
5 knights, musician                                                                                                           123
17 handgunner, marksman w HLR                                                                                    161
20 flagellants                                                                                                                    200

Special
5 knights, IC, FC                                                                                                               170
6 pistoliers, musician, outrider w repeater pistol                                                              132
1 mortar                                                                                                                             75
1 great cannon                                                                                                                 100

Rare
Helblaster                                                                                                                         110

SUM      1996

What I can play around with with is

2 extra knights
7 swordsmen (can form a 19 unit with FC if the detachment above is removed)
8 free company (so detachment only)
20 greatswords w FC
1 great cannon
almost any combination of character choices (except no war altar, monstrous creatures or mounted wizard)

The idea is to put the WP with the IC knights to have a fast unit with a good punch, the other knights will bait and support. The AL goes with the swordsmen and the wizard goes with the more defensive spearmen. The captasus will just fly around, irritate, march block and help out wherever he can. The great cannon is of course better than the mortar against heavy armies like WoC, but the mortar is priceless against weak units like Skaven. The swordsmen detachment can of course go with the swordsmen unit instead.

Well, that was some of my thoughts. How about you sharing yours?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 08:57:14 PM by Muppet »

Offline Folken

• Members
Re: Friendly games vs. WoC, HE, Skaven or VC @ 2000 p
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 06:16:31 PM »
Ok characters look decent, I would want the captasus to have a pistol but thats if you can find points floating around.
I've had moderate success employing flaggelants as an alternative to combat detachments.  So you may want to try breaking the flaggelants into 2 groups of 10(you got a rare choice to burn).  Drop the swordmen detachment to beef up your main blocks.
There is little incentive to bring missile troop units above their min size.  If you want 17, they would be probably better fielded as 12 w/ a 5 strong detachment.
If your knights have full command, then they have only 4 non champion models so no look out sir and shots are randomized to the priest.  I would recommend finding the points for another knight.

Those are my main thoughts.

Offline Muppet

• Members
Re: Friendly games vs. WoC, HE, Skaven or VC @ 2000 p
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 08:56:17 PM »
OK, so I can drop either one pistolier or two handgunners (cannot decide which right now), drop the detachment and turn the swordsmen 25 strong. That would give me enough points for one more IC knight and pistol to the captasus. Good idea to split the handgunners, will do that. I'll try the flaggelants in two units also. Thanks!