home

Author Topic: BRB p.18 There's too many of them rule  (Read 1148 times)

Offline Muppet

• Members
BRB p.18 There's too many of them rule
« on: November 24, 2013, 11:53:56 AM »
The rule in the subject seems rather strange or pointless to me. In the example they give in the BRB an unit of HE archers declare three different charge reactions to three different charges they face. But since it is the person declaring the charges that chooses the order in which the charging units move it will only play to the charges advantage. If they want the HE unit to flee they will charge first with the unit where this charge reaction was chosen. If they want combat they will charge first with the unit where the charge reaction was hold. In any case they will never stand and shoot since they cannot stand and shoot if they are fleeing nor if they are tied up in close combat.

Also, if they first charge with the unit so that the HE unit flee, will the two other charges cause the HE unit to flee twice more, even though they had chosen different charge reactions towards them, making them a grand total of 6D6 inches flee movement? Or if the first flee movement takes the HE unit out of possible charge range, will they not flee again since the charge cannot be completed? I cannot find in the BRB anything about that a unit only can flee once.

Maybe not so clearly explained, hope you understand anyway.

Offline zifnab0

• Members
Re: BRB p.18 There's too many of them rule
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 12:33:15 PM »
A charge reaction is taken immediately after a charge is declared, before other charge declarations.  If the unit chooses to flee, it flees immediately.

In your example: A charges the Archers, they choose to flee.  Immediately pivot and move the unit.

B checks range and finds that the Archers are in range, declares a charge.  The archers immediately pivot and flee another 2d6.

C checks range and finds the arches are out of range.  C cannot declare a charge.

Offline Sixplus

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 01:10:17 PM »
Yea Zif is correct. Charge reactions are made immediately. So unit A declares a charge on the archers, followed by the archers charge reaction against unit A, Then unit B declares a charge, followed by archers charge reaction against unit B, and so on. Movement and charges is probably the most tricky part of the game and sometimes the BRB isn't really crystal clear in its definitions.

Offline Muppet

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 01:30:47 PM »
Ok, thanks. Reading the rule with your remarks (and reading other parts of the BRB more closely) it made more sense.

Offline Syn Ace

• Members
  • Misinterpreting GW rules since 1991
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 06:36:39 PM »
Yeah that's a key thing, that a charge is declared and the reaction is resolved immediately before declaring the next charge and the reaction to it, and so on. And chargers aren't moved till after all charges have been declared and the reactions resolved.

One other thing to remember is that a unit that is being charged can only stand-and-shoot once, regardless of how many times it's charged -- though it does not have to shoot at the 1st charger, it can hold its fire in anticipation of being charged by another juicer target.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 06:39:39 PM by Syn Ace »
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounding yourself with assholes.

— Popularly but incorrectly attributed to William Gibson

Offline psychichobo

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 11:23:57 PM »
In addition to what Syn Ace said, try to make sure you practice this. I've seen people get into habits in order to speed up the game and it results in some mishaps (usually magic item related) occuring due to steps skipped. This is a good example of them.

Offline Muppet

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 06:35:00 AM »
I think that a lot of my confusion here was due to me and my friends playing very soft and friendly games. Then the rules are of course important but maybe we do not pay too much attention to detail. Now I have joined a club and entered a yearlong campaign and although the people I play with there seems friendly enough, I felt I needed to get the rules straight.  :smile2: