home

Author Topic: 8th edition break tests questions  (Read 1788 times)

Offline elfhunter

• Members
8th edition break tests questions
« on: December 21, 2015, 07:46:35 AM »
Hey,
Empire versus orcs yesterday and there were some things we weren't sure about. Can you guys help?
1. I understand the double flee manoeuvre. Does this also work for break tests? He breaks, rolls 4 but is behind another unit. I pursue and roll 5. Is he dead or should I stop 1 inch before the other unit?

2. My unit of halberdiers are fleeing and take a casualty from an arrow. They keep fleeing and are not wiped out, right? That only happens when an enemy unit reaches me.

Offline Syn Ace

• Members
  • Misinterpreting GW rules since 1991
Re: 8th edition break tests questions
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 08:01:00 AM »
1. If your enemy breaks and you roll higher than him, he doesn't move at all -- he is simply cut down where he stands and would not be able to move through his friendly unit to escape. You would destroy him and then move the pursuing unit 5 inches. If that would bring you into contact with the new unit, you charge them (fighting another bonus round of combat--but only if that enemy unit was already engaged and had not fought its combat this round).

2. Your fleeing halberdiers would not be destroyed by shooting, only if they are caught by something that charges them.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 08:04:19 AM by Syn Ace »
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounding yourself with assholes.

— Popularly but incorrectly attributed to William Gibson

Offline elfhunter

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 08:13:27 AM »
So flee and break tests are different...thanks for the clarification

Offline Syn Ace

• Members
  • Misinterpreting GW rules since 1991
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 06:50:34 PM »
And it might be rolls equal to or higher than the fleeing unit -- I'd have to double check. Havent' played recently.
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounding yourself with assholes.

— Popularly but incorrectly attributed to William Gibson

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 08:07:34 PM »
BRB p. 56: "If the victorious unit's pursuit roll is equal to or greater than the Flee roll scored by the fleeing enemy unit, the fleeing unit is completely destroyed where they stand."

Confusing the Flee Reaction during a Charge and the Flee roll during a Break test is a recurring mistake.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)