home

Author Topic: Rattas Republic Kickstarter  (Read 2738 times)

Offline Karak Norn Clansman

• Members
Rattas Republic Kickstarter
« on: November 20, 2018, 11:25:37 AM »
Rattas Republic Kickstarter up now for those interested:

By the way, the Ninth Age setting will sport Byzantine Ratmen.

Offline Konrad von Richtmark

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
Re: Rattas Republic Kickstarter
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2018, 07:13:42 PM »
I like the idea in T9A of Ratmen who overran Avras, an ancient Roman-like human empire, then claimed it and its identity for themselves. Making a Vermin Swarm army with Roman-style trappings sprinkled around would be cool.

Those miniatures though, they're a bit too straight up Polybian Roman copycat for my taste. The Vermin should have claimed the identity and the trappings of Avras but have no more actual in common with it than the Carolignian Empire had with the Roman.
The only good thing about 7th ed heads is that they look particularly inbred and superstitious which is perfect for Stirlanders

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 11:40:17 PM »
Those are really nice rats in Roman style armour.

@Konrad, the hallmark of this vein of fantasy is that nothing changes over a millennia. So we have naked barbarians and war chariots against full plate armour and black powder artillery. And this on a continent where the forefathers of these ethnicities have lived side by side for millennia.

If you want less Roman influence but still some, I think GW's Skaven remain a quite excellent and also cheap solution.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2018, 08:30:19 AM »
Yeah, if I were to make a T9A Vermin Swarm army, I'd likely look for GW Skaven on the cheap, then add some Roman accessories like legionary shields and aquila standards here and there. As well as make it a bit intentionally farcical, such as Vermin using the pilum as a thrusting spear, not knowing it's meant to be a javelin.
The only good thing about 7th ed heads is that they look particularly inbred and superstitious which is perfect for Stirlanders

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2018, 01:42:10 PM »
Vermin being Roman makes a lot of sense actually. Get rid of the crazy science parts, and it could be interesting!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 01:39:24 PM by Warlord »
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2018, 06:18:04 PM »
I think the mad scientist aspect is inevitable in T9A simply due to the objective of letting people keep using their old model collections. Though the execution of it might differ, and I hope they'll be creative about it.

Perhaps there is a Renaissance of sorts going on in the Old World, and all the fantasy-tech elements of all the factions that have them (Empire, Vermin, Dwarfs of both kinds) are recent, cutting-edge inventions, all having appeared fairly in parallel and through cross-pollination of ideas (voluntarily and otherwise).

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 01:41:04 PM »
Its an aspect of T9A that annoys me, is the adherance to 8th ed fluff for unit choices. I understand why, I’m just tired of it.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2018, 09:27:46 PM »
Not 8th edition fluff per se. Models of 8th and earlier editions of Warhammer (they even have their own equivalents of Chaos Dwarfs and Reiksguard Foot Knights, something that WFB last had in 5th edition). That's a meaningful difference. Granted, some models are by their nature rather restrictive in terms of fluff, like a rat with a minigun. Others, not necessarily, though making use of that creative space is something that will only be properly explored when the army books get their full remake. The Hellcannon is a case in point. It was turned into the Hellmaw, which isn't a gun in the first place, but a thing that opens portals from itself to elsewhere, with Chaos Warriors jumping into its mouth and appearing somewhere else, such as inside an enemy fortification. A very fitting thing for an army that is about wrecking face in glorious close combat, and whose members are glory hounds who look for ever-greater opportunities to win more glory to advance on the path to ascension.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2019, 06:29:28 PM »
Unfortunately I didn't pledge during the kickstarter campaign, although this looks like it succeeded and is moving forward.

Noticed on their kickstarter update from Feb 8th that they've got pictures of slingers and swordsmen underway as well. :icon_cool:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Karak Norn Clansman

• Members
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2019, 08:39:54 PM »
Looking forward to receive the senate model!

Its an aspect of T9A that annoys me, is the adherance to 8th ed fluff for unit choices. I understand why, I’m just tired of it.

Yeah, it's a mixed bag. A compromise solution, perhaps for the better, but not without its warts.