home

Author Topic: If You Were Once A Regular Participant At This Site ...  (Read 7919 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
If You Were Once A Regular Participant At This Site ...
« on: March 31, 2018, 04:42:32 PM »
Three Questions ...

1.  If you were once a regular participant at this site and no longer are ... what brought you here at first?

2.  If you were once a regular participant at this site and no longer are ... why?

3.  If you were once a regular participant at this site and no longer are, what could bring you back?

Thank you in advance for helping with this questionnaire! :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Brad

• Members
Re: If You Were Once A Regular Participant At This Site ...
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2018, 07:20:24 PM »
If I was once a regular participant of this site but no longer am, I probably wouldn't have seen your post.

Online Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 09:00:44 AM »
For some time, I had toyed with the idea to ask via PM all previous members the reasons why they dropped off, but then dropped it as too inconsequential.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2018, 02:44:25 PM »
Yep, perhaps many folks might not see this thread, yet perhaps someone or a few will come back, maybe because of PMs they receive and notifications of such being sent, or whatever else might draw them.  I don't expect a huge response, just presenting opportunity.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 12:21:34 PM »
1 - having a ton of Empire models to paint
2 - mostly finishing painting Empire models / dawn of the Age of Smegma
3 - waking up, finding that it was all a dream and that people are still playing Warhammer properly?

I mostly post where is relevant, which right now is over on the Bolter and Chainsword forum, because I'm mostly painting Space Marines, and over on the Carpe Noctem forum, because the last fantasy project I finished was Vampire Counts (and because they have the most active fantasy painting community, and spaces for other projects to be posted. I came here from my old "home" at The Herdstone when I finished painting Beastmen, and drifted away when I started painting Vampires.

To be honest, the active hobbying community of each site is so small that I think the best answer would be a combined Warhammer forum drawing the best of each world. I've considered ditching posting on forums entirely and posting all my work to one blog and hoping a few people look at it, I'd only need a dozen to match the number of readers I reach on fantasy forums these days...  :icon_frown:

Offline Michael W

• Members
  • In the Name of the Emperor since 2001
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 12:08:45 AM »
1 - Empire-related conversation, painting inspiration, tactics, fluff...and some pretty entertaining individuals.
2 - Haven't really done much fantasy gaming lately, and when I do get a chance, it's with a local gaming group using home-written rules, so there's not really a lot to share online.
3 - I still poke in and see what's going on.  I just don't have much to contribute by way of conversation.  I might have more opinions if I were painting a bunch of fantasy minis, though.

All that said, I think I like the new layout.   :happy:
Let them taste Reikland steel!
----------------------------

Offline harv

• Members
  • success from discipline, productivity from panic
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 09:33:47 AM »
They killed Warhammer and my enthusiasm for it. Haven't had a game of it or painted any miniatures since AoS came out.

Decided to finish off my Bretonnian Army has bought me back but I doubt I'll get many games of WFB these days  :cry:
My "house rule" for AoS is "we're not playing that shit in my house!"

Offline Dihenydd

• Members
  • Back on Hiatus
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 02:11:13 PM »
I go aways back, lurked awhile before posting many years/kids ago.

1.  If you were once a regular participant at this site and no longer are ... what brought you here at first? 

I had just switched from 40K to Fantasy, during start of 3rd ed 40K (whenever that was launched).  Played Lizardmen at first.  Discovered Empire.  Many many average Joe's with pointy sticks only surviving by discipline and tactics was appealing.  Searched and found W-E and was instantly hooked by calibre of people and articles.  (and fun)

2.  If you were once a regular participant at this site and no longer are ... why? 

Stopped with GW armies.  I had kids and prices were too high.  My closest friends who played also moved on.  Sold most everything, bought boardgames.  Still played B.bowl, D.Ball and X-Wing.  Also used my boxes of small space ships to play Full Thrust (awesome generic space battles).  Still checked in and commented but slowly died out.  Then AoS happened and it killed pretty much all Fantasy desire in me, but then I never played a single 8th ed game anyways.  I looked at other systems but nothing has stuck.  I'm still friends on other social media with some of the old gits, though.

3.  If you were once a regular participant at this site and no longer are, what could bring you back? 

I occasionally lurk.  But I really have little to contribute, beyond old git grumbling or remember when's. My sons are just getting interested in 40K so there's that.  But the reality is, for a casual gamer not looking to spend my kids college funds most collectible miniature games are just not in my pay grade with all my other expenses as a family.  In local currency, I could spend $80 for a 10 man unit of crazy fig's, OR, buy 7 Wonders and an expansion.  The latter will see the table a lot more (a LOT) than that unit.  Not a hard choice.  I still love mini's (secretly holding a few still) but I can't ever see myself spending those $ again. 

So, I guess, not a lot, b/c its not you, its me  :icon_lol:
Sometimes the "Old Ones" just need to leave.....

Offline Anodyr

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2018, 09:09:10 PM »
Don’t know if this still of interest, but as returning past member I’m happy to try answering your questions three...

I have had empire models since starting the hobby around 1989/90. A few years ago I convinced a friend to get back into warhammer with 8th and came looking for an empire-centric forum at the time to support my army building, fluff writing and tactical development by mixing with like-minded hobbyists.

When AoS came I wasn’t able to make the mental leap of using existing armies in a new setting (the fluff of the old worlde was a huge factor in what I enjoyed about warhammer), and with AoS coinciding with a few major life changing events in mine and my gaming buddies lives, we effectively quit Warhammer fantasy and started focusing on Horus Heresy instead.since then, I’ve moved onto 40k 8th ed, necromunda and adeptus titanicus.

What has brought me back is actually the Old Worlde Lives podcast, which is getting me all nostalgic for Warhammer Fantasy. I’ve got plenty of unfulfilled a Fantasy themed ambitions I would love to realise, and my first step has been digging out my  Empire models for an overhaul. Haven’t browsed the forum yet but I’m hoping to find people still interested in 6-8th Ed fantasy, and that everyone hasn’t moved onto 9th age (as that doesn’t really do it for me).

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2018, 01:01:19 AM »
You'll find lots of people here still living life in the past editions. There's a great thread going on for 6th edition stuff in the Electors forum, not to mention fantastic painting stuff. There's also a pretty healthy 40k forum, as well as sections for other skirmish stuff.

Offline Anodyr

• Members
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2018, 09:32:13 PM »
You'll find lots of people here still living life in the past editions. There's a great thread going on for 6th edition stuff in the Electors forum, not to mention fantastic painting stuff. There's also a pretty healthy 40k forum, as well as sections for other skirmish stuff.

Cool shall check out that 6th ed thread, thanks.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2018, 03:26:58 AM »
Welcome back! :::cheers:::

Offline Atchman

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2019, 04:34:45 AM »
I am back because I started playing Kings of War. I plan on using my Empire models as Kingdoms of Men. 
"Do not gloat when your enemy falls; when he stumbles, do no let your heart rejoice"

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2019, 09:49:43 AM »
Excellent. :icon_cool:

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2019, 09:45:07 PM »
I very much recommend Kings of War.

They just announced the third edition of the game, coming out this fall. My feelings are a little bit mixed, as I've only recently got my 2nd ed books, and am still learning the scope & nuances of the game.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Loran

• Members
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2019, 07:40:34 AM »
Not sure if this is threadomancy, but here goes now that I've once again found my way back to visit the site :icon_biggrin:

Loads of Empire models and a love for the faction. When you have the urge to paint models from a specific faction, you want to get inspired by works of other people painting models from the same faction. I've often had an inspiration for some faction and then spent a lot of time in another faction website, with the end result being a lot of unpainted models... :eusa_wall:

Time constraints mostly from having a job, and also a somewhat lessened interest in the game after the end of the Old World. Haven't tried AoS, although I have seen it played, and haven't really found it to be the thing for me. I am thinking of getting some Fyreslayers to paint, but not sure about the game itself...

I actually do follow up on shenanigans on a couple of different sites occasionally (mostly this one :icon_smile: ), and with the recent info about the The Old World being brought back (some years in the future) I've got a nice boost to get around to my Empire.
Middenheim marches to war, albeit slowly:
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=41827

<+Hyarion> "Loran may cause addiction to mindless online games"

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2019, 12:37:51 PM »
Welcome back! :::cheers:::

Offline Racticas

• Members
  • The Anti-moderator
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2019, 10:00:01 PM »
1. The community and shared love of all things Empire.

2. 8th Edition, Age of Sigmar, law school, and entering the “real world” professional work force.

3. Nice people interested in talking about Kings of War empire armies.
Quote from: Atchman
He isn't afraid at all to try new things, sometimes with terrible results.  :roll:

Offline Borderguy190

• Members
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2020, 02:22:23 AM »
1.  My love of all things Empire. Probably looking for pics of painted units to inspire me.

2.  I was heavy for a while, then life kicked me in the knackers laster summer. Hoping to be a more frequent guest.

3.  The lottery. winning the Mega Millions.  :-D