home

Author Topic: My gallery of Minis: The Armies of Winter and more.  (Read 5877 times)

Offline RendeR

• Members
My gallery of Minis: The Armies of Winter and more.
« on: October 13, 2005, 04:15:20 AM »
Please mods, move this if I'm posting it in the wrong forum. I wasn't sure where it should go so I brought it here.

I'm no Golden Demon entrant, but I have enjoyed growing and learning more about the art involved in our fair game. Below is the link to some of my models. Please critic/Enjoy/Vomit, whatever works for you ;)

Ren

http://boredomsend.com/majgallery/Warhammer-Empire
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons. For you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Offline Demonslayer

• Members
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 01:10:20 PM »
:shock: .

These are very good! I really like the white griffon and the unit champion (whom I'd be using as a captain/count, had I made such a conversion...). The pegasus looks excellent, too.
What on earth did you use to convert that battle captain? Doesn't look very empire-ish, but he'd be excellent in any chaos army  :) .
I feel the barding on the pistolier horses could have been a bit more detailed, though...
I've noticed that some of the model's faces look great (I'm looking at the fc warrior photo 48 now), and some look less detailed (those of the battle wizards...). Any reason why?
The Steam Tank's golden parts are a bit too bright for my liking, I looks like it's just been polished up and ready for parading- not like a terror-causing steel monstrosity ready for battle...
Other than that, excellent job!
Wartales online campaigns, dedicated to bringing you the best in online warhammer campaigns!

Offline RendeR

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005, 06:32:36 PM »
Thanks for the compliments and feedback. To answer your questions:

The Battle Captain is actually a Reaper Anti-Paladin, and I will probably use him in my wife's Nurgle army at some point. he will definitely fit in better there.

I am truly awful with faces, the ones that look ok are by far my best results ever, and they aren't all that good. Most models that I have painted up for tabletop use I simply paint the flesh and give them a flesh wash and call it good enough. I get SO frustrated trying to do eyes and features.

I should have labeled the stank as an ongoing project, I hate the shields on it and as you say, it looks like it just came off an assembly line and has never seen the light of day. Perhaps as I redo this army I will take the big monstrosity on again and give it a proper paint job.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons. For you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Offline PLAY4FUN

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2005, 03:08:18 PM »
I particulary like the basing idea for Lady Lessa and her pegasus. It works as a model, avoids the tricky problem of converting a customized rider, and automatically provides separate models for rider and pegasus when you need them.  My test for a really good idea is one that seems obvious after you've heard it but that you wouldn't have thought of on your own, and this one definitely passes the test  :clap: .
Isn't it great when you can make a model for less than the price of a cup of coffee instead of having to pay GW $30.00 for their version.

Offline SigmarsHammer

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2005, 06:25:09 PM »
What model is the unit champ? i really like him

Offline RendeR

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2005, 02:46:03 AM »
Quote from: SigmarsHammer
What model is the unit champ? i really like him

THe Unit Champion is a reaper-mini Knight Templar with Sword. Reaper has a very nice variety of Templar models, with various weapons and armor combinations.

I really like the GW plastics for making up good looking rank n file, but I just can't resist adding other manufacturers models as unit champions, characters, wizards et al.

I'm currently collecting up enough Sisters of Sigmar models to create an alternate "Greathammers" regiment. Using the greatswords rules and stats but the sisters as the models with a couple of 40K models thrown in for the command group and a scratch built banner bearer.

Still gotta buy another dozen or so sisters first though =)

Offline RendeR

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2005, 02:49:07 AM »
Quote from: PLAY4FUN
I particulary like the basing idea for Lady Lessa and her pegasus. It works as a model, avoids the tricky problem of converting a customized rider, and automatically provides separate models for rider and pegasus when you need them.  My test for a really good idea is one that seems obvious after you've heard it but that you wouldn't have thought of on your own, and this one definitely passes the test  :clap: .

Fummy thing is, I was already working on putting a rider on the pegasus when I played a game against dwarves. My opponent pegged my peg knight first turn, killing the mount. Which immediately gave me the idea for that modeling concept.

I really need to scrape down the base and rebuild it using some bricks. Basically I'll have bricks lining the base under everything but the rider, the rider will have bricks on her base shaved down so that when put together the entire brick layerwill look even.

And thank you for the comments!

Offline Eisenherz

• Members
  • Ostland Ogre tamer
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2005, 12:24:45 PM »
Great! I, too, like the Pegasus Rider best - at last a different way of modelling such a character.

What on earth is thisthing the Militia Captain is holding in his right?
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here...This is the War Room!
-- Peter Sellers (Dr. Strangelove, 1964)

Offline RendeR

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2005, 02:38:12 PM »
Quote from: Eisenherz
Great! I, too, like the Pegasus Rider best - at last a different way of modelling such a character.

What on earth is thisthing the Militia Captain is holding in his right?

Its supposed to be a falcon or Hawk, but the dipping process ruined a fairly well done bird. I mass produced the entire 31 militia models by selecting colors, painting the major items only, then dipping them in wood stain to create a mild detail look. From a distance they look excellent, up close and personal...not so much =)

Offline Sir_Nicolae

• Members
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2005, 03:06:30 AM »
0.0 Wow! That's once nicely themed army! I like the rugged-but-not-ragtag look to them. Very much like what I'm looking for in my Bret Crusade army, although I assure it won't look NEARLY that good. Congrats on a wonderful army!
When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.