home

Author Topic: WIP: Kitbashed Pistoliers  (Read 4749 times)

Offline General Helstrom

• The Old Ones
  • Members
  • Chicks dig moustaches
WIP: Kitbashed Pistoliers
« on: April 27, 2006, 06:56:53 PM »
Well, what with the talk of new plastic pistoliers, wouldn't it be just my luck that part of my GT 2006 preparations include the ubiquitous kitbash of a squadron of Pistoliers?

Yes it would :-D

Undeterred by those rumours, I forged ahead. Armed with my trusty Swann-Morton scalpel (many a fingertip have we mauled together!), set of files, choice selection of glues and a little greenstuff, I managed to produce the following:

As you can tell, the basis for this unit was a set of five common Pistoliers. I got a reasonable deal on eBay and went with it, as I like the legs better than the plastic Knight or Command alternatives. The kitbash parts came from my bitz box, bolstered by a fresh box of Soldiers as I'd used up all my armoured torsos on the Greatswords. But I needed some extra Soldiers anyway. Honestly.

I now have five pistolier torsos lying around. Will trade for a decent meal or a warm blanket.

A new step for me was converting the horses to get some more dynamic poses. There's only so many times you can swap body halves around, and I felt that Pistoliers would really benefit from a more impetuous look. I've picked out a few guys to illustrate this:

I started off easy by making a rearing horse - a classic! There really wasn't much to it - I cut off the rear hooves and re-attached them at a different angle. Horse ankles are no good when they've been sliced through, especially if they need to carry the entire model: You may notice that only the left-hind leg actually meets the base, so that one has been pinned. The John Woo pistols give the model a sense of urgency which I was quite pleased with, as if the rash lad had thundered into trouble a bit too quickly.

I was also quite pleased with the pistol action on the Marksman. The repeater pistol was clipped off a CLASSIC OOP RARE outrider I had lying around and pinned to the arm, the join covered by some greenstuff. The bulk of the pistol makes it look like pretty serious business, and is emphasized by having the model hold it in both hands. I couldn't help mumbling "Bang! Bangbang!" while building this one :-)

My favorite horse pose, which actually comes out better in the group picture, I angled this one to look like it was turning tightly, around whatever's on the receiving end of that pistol. The horse also leans over to the left while its head is twisted right, which I think adds nicely to the dynamic.

Obviously I've still got a little cleaning-up to do on these guys (once I get into the trance of hacking and slashing, I oftern overlook bits of flash), but I'm pretty happy with how they've turned out. More pics will follow once they're painted, of course. They will receive the same colour scheme as my current Pistoliers, with a little red and blue thrown on the cloth bits: I'm hoping this will allow me to mix both units up, leaving me with two interesting looking squadrons, instead of one cool one and one that's sort of... Mêh.

I don't know what Caesar thought when he got to the Ides of March
Don't know what Houdini bought when he went to the store
But I sure do miss the eighties

Offline Hagen_von_Loewenstein

• Members
Re: WIP: Kitbashed Pistoliers
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006, 07:04:51 PM »

I started off easy by making a rearing horse - a classic! There really wasn't much to it - I cut off the rear hooves and re-attached them at a different angle. Horse ankles are no good when they've been sliced through, especially if they need to carry the entire model: You may notice that only the left-hind leg actually meets the base, so that one has been pinned. The John Woo pistols give the model a sense of urgency which I was quite pleased with, as if the rash lad had thundered into trouble a bit too quickly.

Philthy THIEF!!!  :-D

You even used exactly the same pieces for that one as I did!  :wink:

However, I kinda like them, though I think some of the poses could be done a little better, especially the copycat ( :roll:  :wink: ) and the marksman look a little "forced"  the way they hold their weapons.

P.S.: Expect new, GOOD pictures from me in the near future... my girlfriend bought a digicam cheap off ebay...  :-D

Offline General Helstrom

• The Old Ones
  • Members
  • Chicks dig moustaches
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 07:11:00 PM »
Hey, they say great minds think alike 8-)

How did you make those pistol holsters on your Pistoliers? I might steal that too if you tell me.
I don't know what Caesar thought when he got to the Ides of March
Don't know what Houdini bought when he went to the store
But I sure do miss the eighties

Offline Frederick Ironstrom

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 07:20:29 PM »
Great stuff. I wasn't really a fan of pistoliers but these look great. Maybe I'm converted. :lol:

The marksman is brilliant.

Offline Fafnir

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 07:22:19 PM »
Nice conversions. All I have to say really. :-)
EDIT: see Africa for more examples ...

Offline wisenheimer

• Members
  • Michigan, USA
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2006, 07:35:34 PM »
I think they look good. They're very dynamic.

I want to guess before the official answer and say the holsters came from the kroot sprue. (just a guess)

Offline Hagen_von_Loewenstein

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2006, 07:41:02 PM »
*MEEEEEEEEEEP*

WRONG! You're OUT!  :evil:

Simple GS-copies of the holsters from the Mordheim accessoires-sprue... ;)

Offline queek

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2006, 01:08:45 PM »
well done, sir!  *inserts clapping emoticon here*

Offline PissedYeti

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2006, 01:23:16 PM »
Incredible stuff. But I hate to see how the horse with the pistols on either side of it's face will react when the rider fires off.
Non Omnia Moriar

Offline Graf von Carroburg

• Members
  • God is on the side of the big battalions
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2006, 03:46:03 PM »
Nice work, K!

I think the dynamic poses really make the models work. I have a unit made with some plastic Free Company parts, with the old Volands Venators DoW bodies. Trust me, it works! Shall find pictures...

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2006, 08:44:12 AM »
fantastic. I like the two pistols forward model. I do wonder if they will fit with your other models, cant wait to see the end result...
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Melkor

• Members
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2006, 07:34:55 PM »
Well, I just finished painting my own kitbashed pistoliers, so I thought I would post a picture of mine too.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/melkor/Warhammer/Pistoliers2.jpg

Its linked, because apparently my photobucket monthly bandwidth has already been exceeded.