home

Author Topic: A few questions (pictures included)  (Read 1838 times)

Offline 2841981

• Members
A few questions (pictures included)
« on: July 20, 2008, 04:14:48 PM »
okay in my last game several events happened that me and my mate where unsure how to resolve(models used as proxy to illustrate the point)

okay heres the first. The issue arrose when his wardancers charged my archers, now the rules say that the closest model move into contact with the closest model which we get and then all his guys who can reach base to base with HIS model line up with them. after which my archers move into contact this is where the problem happened. i moved my archers into this position

now i thought that was okay because they where all in contact and that was the shortest move into position(plus to my advantage it keeps more prancers out of combat)

where as my mate thought that this was the correct placement, reason being he thought his prancers would make sure he got as many people in as possible, however the rulebook doesnt say i (the charged) have to maximise his contact, only that i have to bring as many into contact with an enemy.

now we all know the prancers will kill them anyway but the problem arrose because of the next picture

as you can see the treekin charged the detachment cause they could see them however because of my archer they would clip on a straight charge so they would have to wheel. now from what i can understand you only get one wheel on the charge and this wheel would cause the charge to miss as you can see from the yellow line.

so my questions really are what would happen.

cheers in advance

Nath
Charge warriors of the Empire and die like the heroes you are!

Offline HoS

• Members
  • Beyond Beyond Thunderdrome
Re: A few questions (pictures included)
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 04:38:49 PM »
I believe that in this situation you are correct. A skirmishing unit charged your skirmishing unit, therefore once your first models are in BtB he ranks up his models on that contact point, and than you follow suit. It is your prerogative to rank them up to your advantae, as long as as many as possible get into BtB.
Gave into the WoW.

Offline Spiney

• Members
  • Merchant Prince of Marienburg
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 04:59:52 PM »
The rules for skirmishers on p. 65 BRB specify that you must bring as many of your models into contact with the enemy as possible, it says nothing about bringing them into contact with as many of the enemy as possible, so in actual fact you could have lined them up as per the first picture.

The second picture cannot be correct, either you must rank them up so that all the wardancers are engaged (ie corner to corner) or you can do as the first pic shows.

Brain wounder: for when you don't want to kill your enemies, just leave them bedridden and pissing themselves.

Offline HoS

• Members
  • Beyond Beyond Thunderdrome
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 05:07:49 PM »
Also, if the Wardancers can get into the back rank they should, after the initial BtB has been established, as per the skirmisher rules.
Gave into the WoW.

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 10:38:13 AM »
Also only the dancers that can reach the combat are lined up all others are forming a conga line and do some proper jolly good dancing Yeahaaaa!

Also the Treekin canīt charge past your unit because the have to reach the front of your unit with one wheel impossible so you placed them well or your opponent made the mistake to not charge with the treekin first. Archer screens are soooo great.

Offline 2841981

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 03:59:36 PM »
Also the Treekin canīt charge past your unit because the have to reach the front of your unit with one wheel impossible so you placed them well or your opponent made the mistake to not charge with the treekin first. Archer screens are soooo great.

yeah he charged the prancers first because my archers where screening the swords from the treekin(he could only just see them) archer screens are awesome

so would the tree kin just failed charge?

thanks for the replys

Nath

Offline Spiney

• Members
  • Merchant Prince of Marienburg
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 04:20:23 PM »
yes, but if the archers were screening the Treekinfrom the swordsmen before the Wardancers charged they couldn't declare a charge anyway, you have to declare all your charges before you move any of them, which means the Treekin would've needed to be able to declare a legal charge before the wardancers moved in and your archers formed up

Brain wounder: for when you don't want to kill your enemies, just leave them bedridden and pissing themselves.

Offline Laerniss

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 05:25:26 PM »
yeah he charged the prancers first because my archers where screening the swords from the treekin(he could only just see them) archer screens are awesome

so would the tree kin just failed charge?

Nath

I don't have my book with me, but I am fairly certain that when a charging unit comes into contact with an enemy unit (even if it did not declare the charge against that specific unit) it is considered to have charged. The Treekin would now be in combat against your archer detachment (and on their flank to boot).

Also, Your opponent may only wheel a charging unit once during a charge and the treekin must end in the correct charge arc (looks like they are right between the front and flank) of the swordsmen. It is hard to tell, but in the third picture it looks like the archers would be in the way no matter which way you arranged the archers. If they are actually in the flank of the sword detachment your opponent might manage to wheel to avoid the archers.

- Laerniss

Offline queek

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 06:36:42 PM »
hoooboi.  This is what happens when people don't read the directions.

Note that in 7th, *BOTH* sides have to maximize, and skirmishers are no exception.  The archers would have to be further over to get more of the wardancers in contact, so your opponant was correct as far as placement goes. 

Offline 2841981

• Members
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2008, 07:07:54 PM »
yes, but if the archers were screening the Treekinfrom the swordsmen before the Wardancers charged they couldn't declare a charge anyway, you have to declare all your charges before you move any of them, which means the Treekin would've needed to be able to declare a legal charge before the wardancers moved in and your archers formed up

they could just see the swordsmen.

hoooboi.  This is what happens when people don't read the directions.

Note that in 7th, *BOTH* sides have to maximize, and skirmishers are no exception.  The archers would have to be further over to get more of the wardancers in contact, so your opponant was correct as far as placement goes. 

I dont want to be a pain but could you quote me that rule please, seeing as different people seem to have different views here. I couldnt find anywhere it said specifically i had to get as many of his models into contact just mine.

Cheers

Nath