home

Author Topic: What would it take?  (Read 6120 times)

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
What would it take?
« on: May 11, 2018, 12:59:58 AM »
What would it take for you to play AoS ?
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
Re: What would it take?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 01:45:18 AM »
Already do 😺 (waiting for incoming tomatoes)
All fantasy armies turned over. Chaos/skaven/beastmen , Devoted of Sigmar, and an ork army. Love the game and ease of play and it can be very fluid with tons of synergies when you put the right units together. Skirmish and path of glory for ever expanding warbands is very good and easy. Enjoy it as much as fantasy. Will do a full stormcast army in the near future.
That said, the whole change over has expanded my gaming horizon greatly. New lion and dragon rampant systems, for fantasy and historical warband gaming and just getting into the T9A system. Everything being free is an insane reason not to try it out. Been reading the rules system for the last few weeks and finding a new purpose for my existing high elf, goblin, empire and tzeentch armies that I just don’t have the willpower to change to AoS.
The transition was actually very easy for me as I just changed mindsets to suit. I do miss the old world but T9A is there to fix that, all my old book collection and codexes, rules etc are there if I want. I’ve bought into the new AoS fluff completely with the new settings although I do beleive they are veering off the very strong narrative they had with the realm wars. So be it. I’ll roll with it and enjoy what I want
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 04:53:23 AM »
Completely different rules. Or a pile of cash.

I can provide my own setting and models. But I want decent rules.

Unfortunately, I don't care for the AoS setting nor most of the models post-End Times. And that's OK. I don't like most of Mantic's models, nor the (awful) KoW fluff. But I still play the game -- for example. But doubly-unfortunate for AoS is that I don't like the rules. There are a lot of options available for rules. It's a good time to be looking for miniatures games! But I have a long list of preferred rules ahead of AoS.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 07:06:01 AM »
Actually, just more time. Many friends play AoS, with splendidly painted miniatures on very nice tables. I could join them, if I only had time to paint armies and play games. Alas, I don't, and thus no new big games for me.

I think many rules in AoS do not promote the kind of gameplay I prefer. But the hobby for me is more about the figures & friends.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Sharkbelly

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 07:13:26 AM »
I already play too. Just small-scale stuff for now. It's great for introducing new players.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 07:21:54 AM »
More time and more space.  My gaming priorities are with other things currently because of time, space, and the involvement of my nephews with historical gaming.  I spend huge quantities of time with growing my business, and managing in more time for gaming would increase the likelihood I give W:AoS a try.  But alas I also have other hobbies, like dancing Argentine tango, and sometimes ballroom as well, and I have a new lady friend too.  The space issue is because my current place has too little of it, and I need to clean out more of the boxes I used to move, which requires time as well, and then I could have more space for a game table, and quicker access to figures.  More time to paint would also be beneficial.  It is hard to make W:AoS a priority in the queue of all my other time commitments because I enjoy much in life.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 03:04:23 AM by GamesPoet »
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2018, 01:12:43 PM »
More time and more space.  My gaming priorities are with other things currently because of time, space, and the involvement of my nephews with historical gaming.  I spend huge quantities of time with growing my business, and managing in more time for gaming would increase the likelihood I give W:AoS a try.  But alas I also have other hobbies, like dancing Argentine tango, and sometimes ballroom as well, and I have a new lady friend too.  The space issue is because my current place as too little of it and I need to clean out more of the boxes I used to move, which requires time as well, and then I could have more space for a game table and quicker access to figures.  More time to paint would also be beneficial.  IT is hard to make W:AoS a priority in the queue of all my other time commitments because I enjoy much in life.

NICE man congratulations  on the new  lady friend, being well rounded is important... ball room dancing?? nice  :::cheers::: :::cheers::: :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2018, 01:16:37 PM »
If the AoS would change its overall style to be more dark and gritty, I would play it (I love Dark Age of Sigmar). Already working on a small skirmish band for AoS, with a oriental theme to it. Really liking this project.
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2018, 01:23:56 PM »
Quote 023: Completely different rules. Or a pile of cash.

I can provide my own setting and models. But I want decent rules.

That got me thinking (and that can be a challenge) but seeing as I didn’t mind 8 ed at all and strategic playing was lost on the way I play, why don’t I just use everything I have at hand including codex, rules etc. This is one of those can’t see forest for the trees moments which makes me wonder how I lived as long as I have 😺
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2018, 01:27:44 PM »
If the AoS would change its overall style to be more dark and gritty, I would play it (I love Dark Age of Sigmar). Already working on a small skirmish band for AoS, with a oriental theme to it. Really liking this project.

It's definitely heading darker.  They changed the logo to be less bright, and the short stories on the Malign Portents site, are definitely getting more grim dark

https://malignportents.com/stories/

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2018, 01:37:15 PM »

It's definitely heading darker.  They changed the logo to be less bright, and the short stories on the Malign Portents site, are definitely getting more grim dark

https://malignportents.com/stories/

Malign Portents was an awesome event. It finally made me feel honest sympathy towards AoS.
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

Gneisenau

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2018, 01:51:10 PM »
I wasn't keen on the Dread Solstice global campaign though.   When you scored points, it's wasn't for a faction, it was for a symbol which had the vaguest of clues as to what it meant, meaning all results were a guess, and the outcome could have been the same regardless of what you actually voted for.  It felt really rigged, so I didn't bother taking part.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2018, 02:10:10 PM »
Good to know that GW is still rigging its campaigns. :biggriin:

Gneisenau

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2018, 02:27:20 PM »
Well they didn't for Season of War, and ended up with a massive victory for Order.  Fate of Konor pretty much went all Imperium apart fro mone week.  It might have been different if the Death Guard had been released before, rather than after the campaign, so again it went to the good guys.

It's only my feeling that Dread Solstice was rigged, because the previous campaign didn't necessarily go how they wanted it to.  But as I couldn't actually see what the benefits or drawbacks of each stage would be the result, and it was all guesswork, It couldn't really be manipulated by any dominant faction, but also couldn't give satisfaction that anything you did mattered

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2018, 03:34:19 PM »
For me it would mean a overhaul of the humans. I HATE Sigmar Marines whatever!!! HATE them SOOooo much!!!  :icon_evil: :icon_evil: :icon_evil: (I think you get the point) If we are in this realm make humans in all shapes and sizes, with high tech, low tech, freaking steam punk, whatever... airships pirates for goodness sakes. I'm not a high fantasy guy thus I loved the empire but I can get behind making the world a bit darker and give a damn face lift to humans  :icon_evil:. I could grow to love the world maybe... I still refuse to use round bases though  :closed-eyes:   
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2018, 06:57:38 PM »
Tell us how you really feel Zak.  :engel:

I think a big thing that'll boost AoS here will be when Freeguild finally get updated. The common people instead of the angelic stormcast.

Offline Konrad von Richtmark

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2018, 07:25:07 PM »
Don't know really. A necessary, but far from sufficient, condition would be that I actually found the time to read the rules without having any better use for my time.
The only good thing about 7th ed heads is that they look particularly inbred and superstitious which is perfect for Stirlanders

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2018, 08:49:46 PM »
Tell us how you really feel Zak.  :engel:

I think a big thing that'll boost AoS here will be when Freeguild finally get updated. The common people instead of the angelic stormcast.

hee hee  :-P
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2018, 08:50:46 PM »
Don't know really. A necessary, but far from sufficient, condition would be that I actually found the time to read the rules without having any better use for my time.

I know right? I could make the time if I wanted to but I simply don't want to right now ...I think this is the problem right? 
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2018, 09:20:32 PM »
I think it's a very fair problem right now. There are SO many game's now, all very similar to one degree or another. It's absolutely one of the reason's I havn't gotten deep into Kings of War. I have all the fancy new rulebooks from the kickstarter, but I just don't feel like putting in the time to learn it. Not when I can spend that time doing something for 40k, or Frostgrave, or 8th Fantasy, or AoS, or.... etc.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2018, 09:32:57 PM »
true
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline The Black Knight

• Members
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2018, 11:00:14 PM »
Not much really. I don't like the setting and I don't like the rules, so there isn't much there for me.

I've recently realized that I really need to enjoy both aspects, to appreciate a game. My friends started playing Malifaux. I liked the models and the rules were alright, but I just couldn't get behind the idea, untill I got to know the setting and found things that I enjoy about it. And then it all just clicked and I've been playing it almost non stop for the past 8 months. A fantastic game in my opinion, I could even see myself going to some tournaments in the future.

Gamewise AOS does nothing for me - I already play a bunch of skirmish-type games (Malifaux, Saga, Necromunda, 40K), all of which have better rulesets.

"All right... we'll call it a draw".

My fantasy-themed terrain log

Offline hamster

• Members
  • doesn't have pictures of the sprue
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2018, 12:51:00 AM »
under any condition, to make me play AOS, I demand a silly hat, mustache, bastard sword, and a steed.
There is no wrong state to play as, except for middenland

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2018, 02:06:38 AM »
under any condition, to make me play AOS, I demand a silly hat, mustache, bastard sword, and a steed.

I like this guy  :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Konrad von Richtmark

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2018, 07:05:41 PM »
For me it would mean a overhaul of the humans. I HATE Sigmar Marines whatever!!! HATE them SOOooo much!!!  :icon_evil: :icon_evil: :icon_evil: (I think you get the point)

Sir, please be informed that the proper word for what you are describing is Ground Marines  :closed-eyes:
The only good thing about 7th ed heads is that they look particularly inbred and superstitious which is perfect for Stirlanders