home

Author Topic: Hi from a newbie and my deep dive into WFB. . .  (Read 67222 times)

Offline KTG17

• Members
Re: Hi from a newbie and my deep dive into WFB. . .
« Reply #300 on: November 19, 2019, 04:54:58 PM »
Thanks! I am still figuring out what secondary hobbies you guys have, so I am never sure how appreciated some of this stuff is. Most of what I see is very 40k/WFB centric. But if this is appreciated I will keep doing it.

Yeah I wouldn't recommend Void 1.1 today. As a matter of fact I was considering getting rid of it some time ago, but I don't really have much, and everything fits in the Gamebox, so its easy to store.

I tried really hard to get into Warzone. I did love the demons with guns thing, but the rest of the armies were really silly. Like a British corporation, German, etc, but what I did love was the WWI theme in the designs. But a lot of the early models were the goofiest around. The later models got much better, but the army lists were just odd. I eventually gave up on it and sold my entire collection. But that starter set was pretty impressive in its day.

So to give you some more insight as to what WFB has to compete with in my life I will share some more pics. Its interesting as I was thinking about writing this post, I gave some thought as to how I got here, and thought it was worth telling. I am originally from Miami, Florida, but in about 4th grade my family moved all the way to Singapore, and there is really where I discovered models, and the 1/76 Matchbox kits I posted earlier. All of asia is crazy about model kits. I was there for a year, then we moved to Hong Kong.

Hong Kong was some of my favorite days as a kid. It was still an British Colony at the time, and so there was a nice mix of east/west going on. But around this time Gundam had been out for awhile, as well as Macross and many other robot anime shows. There were robot toys and model kits everywhere. I grew up on Diaclone before they became Transformers, Dougram, Macross, and Crusher Joe before they became Battletech and Robotech. So while my American cousins were playing with Star Wars, GI Joe, and Transformers, I was knee deep in some of the coolest toys around. I used to take a taxi from our apartment up halfway up the mountain overlooking the harbor, shop downtown for a couple of hours hitting all the toy and model stores, then visit my Dads office before taking a taxi home, all at age 12. Would never allow a kid to do that here in the US. It was a very different time. I was there for 2 years and loved it before we moved to Indonesia for 3 years, which I hated.

Indonesia didn't have much going on at the time. Now I am sure they have 200 channels on cable TV, but when I lived there there was 1/2 hour of news, 1/2 hour of cultural dances, and then an hour of some US TV show dubbed in Indonesian, like the old TV show CHiPs. Or Scooby Doo. Then snow for 22 hours. And no vast amounts of toy stores to buy things at like in Hong Kong. But what I did find in Indonesia at the little grocery stores were these mini model kits made by a Japanese company called Morinaga, as shown below (unassembled and my finished one of the Galbaldy-Bs (Lila Milla Rira's version) from Z Gundam).

Each box came with a little model, which came with another box of terrible tasting candy (I would literally throw away the candy and only keep the model). The cool thing about these little kits were that they didn't require glue to assemble, and some were pretty articulated (the one above is poseable at the shoulders, thighs, and knees). The best part was they only cost $1, so when I earned some allowance I would ride my bike to the store and buy a few. They were packaged in blind packs, so you never knew which one you were going to get. Most of what I got back then was from Gundam, but I discovered in later years they made these kits for most of the anime series at the time.

Size comparison with the finished model next to an Empire General for size comparison.

And the general next to a 1/144 Zaku kit (waiting to be painted as usual) alongside its 1/300 Morinaga counterpart.

Anyway, I loved these kits, along with others around that scale. When I was a kid, in school we sat at these desks where there was a shelf under the desk to store your books and supplies. The teacher couldn't see from her point of view and I would have matchbox cars, army men, you name it in there. Anything I could fit in my pocket was awesome. And living overseas, since we traveled so much, I usually had to entertain myself in hotel rooms or car trips that I didn't want to be on, so I have to stuff my bag with a lot of variety to keep me occupied so I didn't go insane.

Well that still kind of influences me today, and plus I don't have a lot of time. I went through the bigger kit phase like most people but I limit my storage and display area to my home office. You would never know from being elsewhere in my house that I have all this shit. And when people come over they are typically wowed by my office. Even my friends who hate most of this stuff can't keep themselves from going in there. But I also have a collection of old movie posters too. Originals. I have an old rare Star Wars one from the late 70s that if my house was on fire, I would run in to save it. Everything custom framed.

Anyway, one of the problems I had as a kid traveling so much, was when I actually did have money and found something I wanted, my mom would say, 'save your money and you might find something else you want later', and guess what, I typically didn't. And then when I did get them, eventually I took it all for granted and blew up hundreds of kits by strapping them to bottle rockets, shooting them up with BB guns, or literally setting them on fire as I re-enacted battles in the backyard.

When we moved back to the US it then dawned on my that I would probably never see most of these things again, and I regretted everything I did. I found some sellers here and there who sold some kits I built as a kid, but they were hard to find. It wasn't until eBay that I was able to hunt down everything on my wishlist, and man did I buy.

I am after very specific things too. So each of these purchases was its own hunt. The idea was, 'I don't have time to build everything now, so just get it when you find it, and build it later when you have time'. All I'll have to do is go to the closet.

I also eventually got lucky and found a guy in Japan who would help me hunt down items over there, or bid on Yahoo Japan Auctions for me, for a 20% fee. I sent that dude $1000s of dollars. And, eventually got all the Morinagas I had as a kid and many others I didn't know about.

I am not going to lie, some of these that sold for $1 back in the day I paid $80 for. Not many, some I bought in big lots and ended up with many duplicates. I have hundreds of these now which is really way to many. Enough to where I am making custom kits and so on. But not having these ate at me for a couple of decades, so as silly as they might look, having them really brought me back to those days as a kid, being bored in a shitty country and killing time with what few toys I could find.

So I build lots of other small kits from that time period too, like these below, from Dougram.

Some of you will recognize these from Battletech. Shadowhawk and Battlemaster I think. At any rate, these took a great deal of hunting down too. Some of my most prized models, along with 1/200 scale Macross kits. I just don't have a lot of time, nor want a ton of space dedicated to any one thing. I could build a big model, then get bored of looking at it, and then what. I prefer variety.

I should note too, that I rarely care about the stories these robots are from. When I lived overseas, I didn't speak/read the languages, and sometimes could see the shows on TV, but I had no idea what was going on, so I made my own stories up. To this day I don't care, I am a sci-fi fan, and a huge technical design fan, so I am a fan of the design first and foremost, and maybe care a little about the shows they come from. I have to be honest I think most suck. I am really not an anime fan so to speak, just love spaceships and robots.

Sometimes I spend a great deal of time on these little kits, which are old and don't have polycaps like the new ones do. Polycaps are rubber joints they place in shoulders and elbows and such for movement. Many kits are really poseable, but overtime plastic on plastic wears away, making them loose. Sometimes they are lose right away. So I have experimented with plumbers tape, superglue, green stuff, you name it, to try and make joints tight. But sometimes I just have to make my own polycaps. So below you can just see inside where I mounted one in the chest.

And replaced the original arm joint, with a plug that will fit into that whole.

So if I do it right you never know what I did.

Dougram was one of my first loves, and I have a whole shelf dedicated to it. As a matter of fact, while in college I made my first website called Dougram.com, which purpose was to find other Dougram fans and try to share info on. Met some really great peeps back in the day. Eventually I stopped maintaining the site and let the domain expire. Once I had all the info I lost interest I guess.

For those in the know, yes, there is a Battle of Kalnock under that Battle of Stanrey. For those not in the know, these are the games that inspired Battletech. A company called Twentith Century Imports used to import them into the US with a brief translation of the rules, and FASA picked up on them and used them as a basis for Battletech, using the kits TCI was importing for their first designs (now known as the Unseen). These two games, especially in the condition they are in, are some of my most prized games.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/8780/battle-stanrey

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/14165/battle-kalnock

So I have a lot of interests and projects and stuff getting backed up. Once and awhile I focus and finish one or two. But it isn't often. I tend to build to get me to the painting stage, where things kind of pause.

Man I need to dust that warrior's base! lol

Part of the problem is that in order to paint I really need proper lighting and a prepped area, none of which that really works in my office area, as you can see from the lighting in my pics. But assembling I can do anywhere. Couch in front of TV, patio, even on vacation. Some peeps sit and smoke pot or watch TV, I tend to work on something with my hands. While I have a tackle box where I store everything, all it really takes me to build is what is below, most of which fits in that box.

So I just take this around with me. When I am done I assemble something else. When I get the urge to paint then I will pick one of them out.

And things do pile up. It tends to go that way, as when I see something on my wish list I just get it, knowing it might be hard to find it again. Thanks to my mom and living overseas. So this also means I tend to over-buy too, and then have to clean out some things. I tend to build up things kind of modestly in most cases, like to get a nice taste of something but not obsessively get everything. Before my dive in WFB, the most I bought into was Epic, which I literally have 1000s of models for and played the shit out of. WFB is only the second game I have every bought this much for, which is why things like Battalion/Battlefore/Starter sets are so important to me as they will have to sit for some time before I get around to them, and I don't want things cluttered.

Familiar with 1/144 F-Toys? I finally finished all my kits recently. I love WWII fighters. I even have two Finnish ones in there!  :::cheers:::

EDIT: GOD DAMN MY MODELS ARE DUSTY. So embarrassed. Going to have to do some dusting soon. Which you can imagine is going to be a major pain in the ass. But I took these pics in the morning before work and was rushing and still kind of dark. Forgive me. I am neglecting miniatures.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 08:08:59 PM by KTG17 »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #301 on: November 19, 2019, 06:55:10 PM »
Quite the collection.  Interesting to see the robot models, although doubtful I'd ever get into those, there's just too much else on my plate, and what is has ties to my past, just like these to your's.  Like seeing the WW2 planes. :icon_cool: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #302 on: November 19, 2019, 07:45:12 PM »
Another thing I really love is your "life story of miniatures", and the experience of what was available, when, and where.

Myself, I was a military modeller and model railway builder as a kid. Finland did actually have lots of stuff available, at least in the capital shops. I even remember most of those Japanese robot kits. But not everything was to have here, and it was often expensive.

My parents took the family to holidays in central/western Europe, ofcourse Sweden, but often Germany and also England. I saved for these trips, and my dad was quite free-handed during the trips, and so I brought bags full of models and railway stuff from these trips. Ah, the nostalgia!

As a kid and teenager, I was very diligent to build & paint & play what I bought. I didn't have tons and tons of stuff, but I had a lot of finished stuff. Then I moved to RPG's and books and soon afterwards moved from home, and left all my old stuff at my parents. I guess it's still there, somewhere, thickly painted and worn down. Both of my model railways were sold, but my dad still keeps the 'N' scale town houses on exhibit. Maybe some day I'll use them for something again?

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #303 on: November 23, 2019, 06:16:55 PM »
Man I would get on the phone with your parents and make sure all that stuff is still there to rummage through the next time you visit!

So I did this:

I know its starting to look like I've lost my marbles. Or maybe I am right on schedule according to some of you. I realize now after a year of this and all these posts, that if I could do it all over again knowing what I know now, I just would have bought the 6th edition rulebook, Ravening Hordes, and all of the Battalion sets. Maybe the 6th starter. Not that the 7th and 8th starters aren't nice, and certainly did have great influence on me, I think I would have preferred to just stay in 6th.

The rules, the atmosphere, skirmish and siege, its a pretty comprehensive rulebook and certainly offers me more than the later editions, even if the later editions are nicer books. Plus all the annuals and so on that came out in its day.

But after the news of The Old World coming out, and my recent purchase of that detachment set, and looking at all the work you guys are doing in the Brush and Pallete section, I realized most of my stuff I started out with was looking really aged, and I was also thinking that I will probably be interested in doing at least two Empire armies. Well, at least have the minis now in case I wanted to.

I also picked up the plastic Battle Wizards pack. The older 2-pack not the Sigmar 4-pack.

I've certainly come a long way from this:

When I tried to keep things small and on a tight budget. Those Knights were second-hand and were in terrible shape. It took a lot to get them to look normal. And then buying those random lots to salvage parts turned out to be a waste since I really aren't happy with most of the models. I'm going to try and salvage my Swordsmen though, using the leftover sword arms from the newer sprues as I will be making one unit of Swordsmen and one unit of Halberds, so I will have extras. But the crossbow men are garbage. Not sure what I will do with them. Maybe salvage some of them for parts. I do have an extra Battle Standard to give these guys too. I was so proud of these guys originally.  :|

So I guess I kind of have three Empire armies if I limit myself to around the amount of points I initially attempted to do. So this means I have three different cities I can do. I know one will be Talabheim and I will use the newer models for that. The other two I don't know.

I went from having very little to having a lot, I have some 4 sets of Knights.  :eusa_wall:  3 Great Cannons/Mortars. The Hellblaster. At least 10 10-man units (3 Swordsmen, 1 Spearmen, 3 Handgunners, 2 Halberds, 1 Greatswords). Enough heros and wizards to spread around. Kinda too much to be honest, but I think what I will do is do one Empire army now and then the second one after I have built all the others. Hopefully I will know more about the other cities and will have another favorite by then. I did give some thought of selling some of the models that aren't doing it for me and put that cash for something else, but I am finding that I am regretting selling what I have sold already.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 06:19:39 PM by KTG17 »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #304 on: November 23, 2019, 06:24:21 PM »
Clearly a Empire centric hobbiest in the making! :icon_wink: :icon_mrgreen:

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Online Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #305 on: November 23, 2019, 11:58:22 PM »
Using some leftiver sprue and some creative modelling, you can actually make a cannon and a mortar from one kit, and using some extra state troop bodies (perhaps the 7th ed crossbowmen bodies) you can build more crewmen...

Have a read and think about what province you like.
There are minor fluff changes between editions too.
In 5th edition, Hochland was quite wealthy. Then it because a bit backwater.
Middenhiem, Ostland, and northern provinces would have a more ruggard, snow and fur look.
Marienburg were wealthy, and succeeded from The Empire, so technically not Empire if you want to take that route.

If you wanted to go further, you could convert the extra models into a dogs of war or kislevite army.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #306 on: November 24, 2019, 03:06:33 PM »
Talabheim being the capital of Talabecland, your army could be comprised of both the red & white as well as the red & yellow.  Although having another province to have reason for cross border disagreements and games on the table top could be good, if your into creating fluff for your armies.

Perhaps Chaos invasions, like the horrible SoC, have impacted Hochland's wealth level as 6th edition moved forward.  Ostland was decimated by Chaos as well.  Middenheim and Middenland tend to be centered around Ulric.  And of course there are places like Ostermark and Stirland as other possible neighbors to have as allies or enemies.

I've got my main Averland force positioned to defend against Stirland.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #307 on: November 25, 2019, 01:43:18 AM »
Is there a good source that summarizes all of the cities? I have to be honest I haven’t found the 6th army book all that comprehensive.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #308 on: November 25, 2019, 04:04:32 AM »
Well there are both provinces and cities.  Google a map of the WFB Empire, that might be a good place to begin.

If I recall, the main independent cities are Altdorf (the Imperial capital in Reikland), Nuln (near Wissenland and Averland), Marienburg (up on the north west coast.

The provinces are Nordland, Ostland, Middenland, Hochland, Stirland, Ostermark, Reikland, Talabecland, Stirland, Averland, Wissenland.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #309 on: November 25, 2019, 05:16:39 AM »
Just found a YouTube channel which spends an episode talking about each province! Looks like it is related to something called Total War. I should finish them in a couple of days.  :::cheers:::

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #310 on: November 25, 2019, 12:22:10 PM »
Becareful.  All sorts of fluff sources out there on the provinces and such.  Beware, some of it is made up, which is ok, although even the GW material is a scattering of disjointed material.  However, generally speaking there is material out there that can be considered cannon, so to speak.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #311 on: November 25, 2019, 01:11:31 PM »
Crap that sucks. Well, I am 25 minutes into this:

https://youtu.be/erqTCBe3oXE

It’s an hour and a half long, and it’s just on Reikland. I hope it’s legit, I want to watch the rest.

I can see why you are all Empire fans. Quite the history GW created, I am so surprised they ended it all. Sigmar seems like a terrible replacement, especially with all of the various races grouped together into those Forces. Just seems dumbed down. The old world had politics and all that, and feels pretty grounded. The only thing I knew about Riekland was what I read in Mordheim lol.

You old timers must have been crushed by the End Times. I can see why GW did it, for a couple of reasons, being too closely tied to other IPs, and then sales, and then creative destruction, but what they came up with doesn’t seem to be able to stand in the shadow of what they spent decades developing. I wonder if there is an old thread here of the end times as it was happening...

Anyway, very cool.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #312 on: November 25, 2019, 01:28:03 PM »
Many of the old timers weren't happy with the End of Times.  Enough said here though, there's other threads where we were ... beating a dead horse, so to speak.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #313 on: November 25, 2019, 10:24:19 PM »
Of course, you could look here.   :closed-eyes:
Especially if you are investing in the 6th Edition.

http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?board=74.0

Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #314 on: November 26, 2019, 12:45:37 PM »
None of the Old World ever went away, though. The books and minis didn't vanish overnight. You can read and play and have fun with the Old World even without 'official support'.  :happy:

Actually, you can use the Old World background in most 'alternative' games around. Choose the game, choose the setting, win-win.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #315 on: November 27, 2019, 01:35:58 AM »
I agree.  Can't wait to do Dragon Rampant in the Old World! :icon_biggrin: :::cheers:::

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #316 on: December 01, 2019, 10:16:14 PM »
Okay so I did a lot of thinking an organizing, and I decided to keep what I have been working on for my older Empire models. I essentially have enough newer kits to make 1000 point or so Empire armies, so I thought I would try to do something with the older models I worked on for the last dozen pages. I ended up sticking to my original plan for them, which was to just create a small army with.

Remember those swordsman I made? Newer bodies, older arms and shields? Well, for my newer armies, I wanted to use the older shields to I took them. In addition, the newer State Troops sprues comes with both swords/halberds/spear options as you know, and since I plan on doing a unit of halberds for each army, I had the sword bits left over. So I removed the old arms, and put the newer swords and shields on them.

I have to be honest, I really like the smaller shields. I didn't think I would. Most of these models were second-hand, back from when I was trying to do this on the cheap, and I am not sure how they are going to turn out when painted (especially the crew for the cannon - they were a real mess). All the brake fluid soaking to strip the paint took some toll on the detail, as well as some just have paint I couldn't remove.

But I also just eventually accumulated so many newer models still on the sprues that I wasn't as crazy about keeping these older ones I was experimenting with, but I am glad I did. I am going to play the hell out of this little army so I can learn the rules. Plus I need to get my feet wet painting again, and prefer to have some practice runs than to ruin some minis that are getting really hard to find.

I also got around to finishing this guy. I like this guy as much as my general, and he's pretty much exactly as you see him on the back of the 6th edition box. I made him on foot as well as mounted as I do for my heros.

I have been buying more stuff and have actually some dups for some of my armies, like the Orcs and Skaven (which I also have a lot of second-hand models for). Enough to make opposing armies for this Empire army and leave the original stuff I got to work on down the road. My loose plan before was to build all the armies from the starter sets first before moving on to the Battalion sets, but now I am just going to focus on a more narrow goal of assembling 2-3 small armies like I originally planned, painting them, and playing some games to learn the rules and hopefully provide a little battle report or two.

I was in such a rush with no real plan before, so I am excited I have some focus now.

Also, I have finally finalized all the parts I needed for my Reikland and Marienburg gangs for Mordheim. I've been working on this for some time, but have managed to get better and better parts and I am finally done. I am super stoked about both gangs. I have developed their backstory and all. The Reiklanders are disillusioned former soldiers who have gone into business for themselves. Since they are still recent soldiers, they have many of their former gear and a mix of new, so still looking and acting like a military unit, led by their former commander. I have back stories for all the models, my favorite being the former dummer boy turned Youngblood, who is a budding psychopath. The Marienburg gang is kind of comical, led by a coin-hungry merchant who's relationships with powerful Marienburg bankers has gone to crap, so he has to supplement his business with side hustle trips to Mordhiem. His champion carries the money and guards it with a Blunderbuss, and his two delinquent nephews (who typically cause more problems then they are worth) are his Youngbloods. I have all the bits to make 4 really lavishly dressed heros, and then other bits to make the cheap and expendable dock thugs they employ. Very different looks within the same gang.

Don't want to reveal too much before I am done. I will prob start painting the Reiklanders very soon. Wont be posting any pics until I am done.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 10:22:06 PM by KTG17 »

Online Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #317 on: December 02, 2019, 08:35:15 AM »
Good plans.

Also, the Mordhiem stuff sounds exciting and interesting.
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #318 on: December 02, 2019, 11:29:51 AM »
Looking forward to seeing the Mordhiem dudes.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #319 on: December 05, 2019, 01:28:33 PM »

Got him.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #320 on: December 09, 2019, 02:32:05 PM »
Interesting update for you today.

First, I bought all of the Battalion boxes. I mean, I now have a Battalion box for each army. Even the armies I had gotten in the starter sets. I have been thinking about things, and even though I am set on small armies and units of minimum models, I came to the realization that someday I will probably want to tinker with larger units, and boxes like the High Elf Battalion set came with a ton of minis (I know there are different versions of this set, I got the one with 20 spearmen, 20 archers, chariot, and bolt thrower). This also means I have some dups in my collection so I am going to sell some things to trim down. This also means I got the Orc and Goblins set with the newer Boarboys. Not super crazy about them, but I know they are better models than the older ones.

One of the sets I recently got was the Skaven set, which to be honest, has everything I already mostly got in Island of Blood. I even made my own Packmaster and Giant Rats, and bought those 10 Plaguebearers. I wasn't crazy about the IoB Rat Ogres though, so I wouldn't mind having newer ones. This set tends to go for a lot on Ebay, but I managed to score a set that was opened, partially assembled, and pretty cheap considering. Most of the clanrats were assembled, and I feared the worst, but on Saturday I sat down to see who could be salvaged, and it turned out, all of them could be. Thankfully those sprues came with both the hand weapon or spear option, so with plenty of weapons still on the sprues, I was able to swap out the assembled ones (which had all sorts of problems) with new ones. Love the Rat Ogres and Beast/Pack masters. So this leaves me with a ton of Skaven I really don't all need, but I sort of have a plan for that.

So as I am working on my Skaven on my patio, my sister and friend are over and my sister spots one of my dogs coming out of the bushes looking suspicious and we hear a faint squeal. He's a big hunter and he's killed some things in the past which I am trying to get him to stop. So I yell at him and he and the other dogs circle this thing in the grass and I come running over and its a baby rat. I picked it up and it couldn't have been more than 2 or so weeks old, he was terrified and even tried to bite me but he didn't have the strength to even pierce my skin that's how young it was.

I doubt my dog dug up its burrow, so either something happened to the mom and he desperately went looking for food, or he might have moved away from the litter, got cold, and followed the warmth of the sun and left his burrow just enough for my dog to find it. I have no idea where the burrow is. We have Roof Rats and Norway Rats in my area, but my moronic neighbors have been killing all the Coral Snakes they can find (even I accidently ran over a Corn Snake backing out of my garage  :icon_cry:), that I wouldn't be surprised if the rat population is up. We all have bird feeders so I am sure they feed on the seeds on the ground.

Some of you may have seen my post somewhere about me rescuing animals so whats next shouldn't come as a surprise. I have all the stuff to raise this thing, except for some formula that I ran out and got, along with a few of those mini mice toys things for cats for him to curl up to over the heat pad. My friend suggested I feed it to my snake, but I said I am not going to condemn something so young to die. My view is that everything should get the chance to live to adulthood. So it doesn't matter to me if its a puppy, duck, lizard, bird, elephant, whatever, even a rat, should make it to adult or its a tragedy.

I am off work this week, had some plans to do some things around the house, but this little guy has highjacked that. Its a good thing I am off too, since little guys like this pretty much need round the clock care.

I mean, its a sign when you are working on your Skaven army and a baby rat in need shows up. Who am I to piss off the Horned Rat? Better yet, its prob best I don't.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #321 on: December 09, 2019, 02:57:34 PM »
If you're going to sell items, can ya list him here in the Trading Post section before unloading them elsewhere?

Oh, and did ya get a Bret battalion box, too?

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #322 on: December 09, 2019, 03:40:16 PM »
Oh I got that a long time ago. The ones I purchased recently were for the armies that came in the various starter sets.

Online Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #323 on: December 12, 2019, 01:14:02 PM »
Its a cute rat. Makes sense to me.

Also, I have heard feeding live rats to snakes can cause damge to your snake if its not an experienced killer. And generally if its a ‘bred’ snake, rat teeth and claws can cause scarring on the snake’s skin too.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #324 on: December 26, 2019, 05:21:51 PM »
I got Flagellants for Christmas!  :::cheers:::

Will be providing a big update shortly. Its kinda long and still working on it.

Also, the poor baby rat didn't make it. Died about 5 days after I found him. Took his last breath in my hands.  :icon_cry:  Can only speculate as to why.

Rescuing animals so young is hard.