home

Author Topic: Leviathan Launch Box for 10th Edition ...  (Read 1028 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Leviathan Launch Box for 10th Edition ...
« on: June 08, 2023, 10:44:11 AM »
Compared to the Indomitus Box set for 9th where the two s ides had a close number of points, seems the Leviathan Box set won't be.

Rumors had the new launch box being heavily unequal, although apparently even GW has mentioned that it is not a balanced set being released.

However, supposably most 40K box sets have been unbalanced, so not really a surprise.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
Re: Leviathan Launch Box for 10th Edition ...
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2023, 05:08:22 PM »
Well as we don't have any clue yet on points we can't say how balanced (or not) it actually is, but GW did mention that the 2 sides provide enough models to make Combat Patrols out of them. That will get their own balancing mechanism in the near future.
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2023, 06:58:27 PM »
Good point.  And rumors are just rumors.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2023, 08:11:01 AM »
Well I got my copy of the box in pre-order sorted at my local (web)store, and I'm pretty hyped for 10th edition, especially with the USR (Universal Special Rules) and that everything else is found on the unit datasheets or with max 2 pages of army and detachment rules.. so much easier for referencing.
And flavouring will come from different detachment rules, but you take one and put others aside for another time, so no cross contamination of rules everywhere

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2023, 11:46:32 AM »
I don't have the same attraction to Tyranids as I did to Necrons, so not sure I'll be getting this box.

However, I am interested in seeing how the rules play out.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2023, 12:41:31 PM »
I have bought most of the starter sets in the last 30 years and the 'good' side always seems to get the least amount of miniatures.

I remember getting the 199x release which included five space mono-pose marines and a sixth marine on bike while there were five of those fugly Orks and five gretchin plus a wartrak

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2023, 02:46:25 PM »
I picked up a set from GW so I could get the battle mats. I also picked up the novel. I'll pick up a few other splash items when they are released with the starters.

I am not sure if I mentioned this elsewhere but I reached out to the guys who do the 40,000 Imperium subscription and asked them if they were doing another for 10th and they said there was no plans. I don't know if this means no sub is happening, or its going to another company. Either way, I prob wouldnt do it as I just have so much stuff, and I do not need a ton more. I do think the Marine-Sisters-Mechanicus vs Necrons was a cool match up, and I assume a 10th sub would incorporate some others units besides marines, but I really don't want any of the other factions. I already have a massive pile of shame.

I am excited to get Leviathan tho, even if its kind of incomplete.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2023, 01:02:29 PM »
I picked up a set from GW so I could get the battle mats. I also picked up the novel. I'll pick up a few other splash items when they are released with the starters.

I am not sure if I mentioned this elsewhere but I reached out to the guys who do the 40,000 Imperium subscription and asked them if they were doing another for 10th and they said there was no plans. I don't know if this means no sub is happening, or its going to another company. Either way, I prob wouldnt do it as I just have so much stuff, and I do not need a ton more. I do think the Marine-Sisters-Mechanicus vs Necrons was a cool match up, and I assume a 10th sub would incorporate some others units besides marines, but I really don't want any of the other factions. I already have a massive pile of shame.

I am excited to get Leviathan tho, even if its kind of incomplete.

My stash is starting to creep into other rooms but I've really cut down on buying stuff at the moment. Its mostly due to the overly complicated and fidly kits.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2023, 12:33:05 PM »
My Leviathan set arrived yesterday. Its an impressive set in size. The box is huge. I know this isn't a 'starter' but I treat it as such. No unit cards (I know these are available online), no dice, rules, etc. I certainly have lots of the latter, but still. The boards are nice. I also picked up the deployment marker set off ebay. Was interested in getting the token set too but those are selling for mad money on ebay right now so will wait a bit to get those when hopefully prices go down. I also pre-ordered a bunch of the datasheets.

As much as I like the Tyranids in the set, I actually think Indomitus is better. The range of characters in that set were amazing, and I know Leviathan had to do something different, and while they are nice, you just can't top the Chaplin, Judicar, Captain, or even the Lord from Indomitus. And I really dislike the Primaris flamer guys. A whole unit of flamers who's the dumbass that came up with that. But one thing that Indomitus did was motivate me to get that Imperium subscription, but this doesn't. As a matter of fact, I can't see me buying anything else for 10th.

Anyway - I said this was it and stand by that. Leviathan is a nice set to cap off the collection with. 10 editions of 40k and as far as I am concerned my journey is complete.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2023, 09:44:07 AM »
I finished building my Leviathan set yesterday evening, ready to make the Combat Patrols out of the models to play a game with them tomorrow with my daughter. I already have 1 2k game done in 10th with my Death Guard against T'au.. needed really hard to play the mission, but still lost.. got another game planned Tuesday against Orks.. will see how that goes.. I know DG struggle a lot against mech lists...

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2023, 03:30:00 PM »
^
From my limited experiance with anything Nurgle its the slow pace that the models move which is their downfall.
They can usually hold their own in a fight. Its just GETTING to the fight is the problem

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2023, 07:49:46 PM »
So one of the insane things I do with 40K starters is to the get some of the terrain that was sold at the time, particularly if it appeared in the rulebook, or expansions like 4th’s ‘The Battle Rages On’. I am also a big fan of the Kill Team boards so I try to get ones that look like the they capture the look of the time. So I was happy that my Leviathan set came with the game boards.

When I got Indomitus, I got the boards released for that era and the terrain that came with the Command Edition. I felt I was all set but then got a ton more with the Imperium sub. Not sure I’ll ever do anything with it all. I only want enough to capture the atmosphere of the era.

So I have been curious with 10th on what kind of terrain they would release, hoping we might even see some Tyranid stuff, but when I got the rulebook I could see they were using a lot of the Nachmund terrain set, so since a store near me had one at a discount I went ahead and got it. I should have felt set, but waited to see if they released anything in the starter sets…

And sure enough, previews released today show the Nachmund terrain (or at least some of it) in the largest starter. So disappointing on nothing new, but happy my purchases are done.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2023, 07:53:35 PM by KTG17 »

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2023, 02:33:32 PM »
There are several Imperial/industrial terrain kits available at the moment. With a little modifying, many races can use them. No reason why Tyranids cant try to eat cranes, shipping containers and forklifts.