home

Author Topic: How to Paint Robes/Clothing, etc....  (Read 12555 times)

Offline SmokeyMusket

• Members
How to Paint Robes/Clothing, etc....
« on: November 03, 2011, 10:42:08 PM »
Need some painting help.
   I got my armor and skin painting down, but i have never been able to get my cloth and robe painting down.  I cant get the color and shading right for it to look like actual real clothing.  Ive tried using a dark base color, then an ink wash followed by a dry brush over the wash.....it just never looks right.  Anyone have any tricks?
   I am getting ready to start an all Nuln force and will be using primarily black as my uniform color.  For my Greatswords i plan on using alot of tan/brown to.....im going to call them the "Black and Tans"

SmokeyMusket

Offline debris

• Members
Re: How to Paint Robes/Clothing, etc....
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 03:07:34 AM »
You need at least 3 shades of color with cloth.  The method you're using sounds almost correct, but you may be losing some of the shade differentiation with your wash.

Think of cloth as a mountain range.  You have peaks and valleys with middle lands in between.  Your valleys get the least light, so they should be darkest.  Peaks are lightest and the middle should be somewhere in the middle.

If you start with a color and then wash over it with a darker color, you will also darken the middle shade.  Be sure to repaint the middle shade with your original color. Just don't repaint the valleys, leave them dark.  Lastly, don't drybrush your highlight color.  Take the time to paint the layer on.  This will give it a more uniform appearance.  As always, practice and refine your technique.  Once you start getting the 3 shade method down to your satisfaction, try adding another layer in between the middle and the peak to give it an even smoother look.

Offline Athiuen

• Members
  • The Old World
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 05:51:08 AM »
And If you want to do it quickly just use 2 colors, light for the edges and darker for the medium and deep surfaces and then wash.  The wash will darken the whole lot and fill in your third color in the depressions.
Quote from: warhammerlord_soth
No beer was wasted.
They fired at a can of Heineken.
The end is Neigh!
Quote from: Swan-of-War
Curse you clearly-written rules!

Offline SmokeyMusket

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 10:35:13 AM »
thanks alot guys ill give it a whirl....
   thats a great point debris.....little mountain ranges, i had never thought of that....thats perfect.  Im getting some boxes of handgunners in soon, ill give it a shot.  thanks for the help.

SmokeyMusket

Offline mr chumley warner

• Members
  • Ninth Age , paint everything, Metal Only !
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 11:33:46 AM »
'' Blending ''

===========

That is the key word,

a very hard technique to master,

used to perfection on clothing/robes etc.

have you tried blending?

Ask yourself , what is real? 5 sense filtered reality is a very limited perspective.

Offline SmokeyMusket

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 12:45:27 PM »
Most of the painting i have done is on space marines and necrons.....these are easy to shade because of the hard edges.  Its just the rounded edges of clothing and robes that i find more difficult.  Ill give some of these things a try and experiment on these handgunners im gettin in.

SmokeyMusket

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 02:22:23 PM »
I have seen some beautifully blended paint jobs that just were not right, I mean in the sense that they are done as a topographical exercise. the parts furthest from the central core are lightest and the ones closest to the core are darkest, sometimes this is in direct opposition as to how light and shadow actually work.  Years ago Duke Seigfried ( the man who originally introduced acrylic paints to the hobby world, via the Heritage company) advocated doing a dark wash or dark color in the same family on the under sides of the arms inside of the legs and under the chin, even though many were quicky jobs they looked fantastic on the table top. What he was doing was using the noon sun effect of light coming straight down, this is how your lightest shades (sometimes almost white) reflect where the sun hits fully, and the darkest is where the least sunlight is recieved.  the easiest way of figuring it out is to put your primed figure under a good light and observe, and remember where the highlights and shadows fall and paint appropriately, sometimes it will call for a blend job and sometimes the edges of the areas have a  very sharp demarcation.    As for the blending, there are dozens of good methods, just prime a bunch of junk figures and start experimenting, but try to keep a log for each figure of what you did and what you used, thus later if you want the same effect you will have a less difficult time trying to replicate the effect. I hope this helps. steveb

Offline Syn Ace

• Members
  • Misinterpreting GW rules since 1991
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 08:15:26 PM »
I'm not a huge fan of dry brushing on something that's supposed to be cloth -- tends to look chalky in my experience. I prefer blending, which takes a bit of practice, but you need at least 3 colors (I often use more) a dark base color, a medium, and then a highlight and possibly washes:. As steveb says, figuring out the directionality of the light is important as this will tell you where your shadows fall. Start with the base color and progressively add more of the medium color as you paint toward the more light exposed areas creating a gradient (for example having Regal Blue as your dark and then adding more and more Enchanted Blue to progressively lighten it, then going from Enchanted Blue and adding Ultra Marine Blue and then highlighting with a mix of Ice Blue and White and eventually working up to a small area of pure white). For simple effect you can use strong contrast of dark and light, though the best looking in my opinion is having a nice gradient on the various areas. Then work your highlights working from the darkest color of the highlight to brightest where the spot which is where the light is hitting strongest.

I'm a so-so painter, but this works okay for me.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 08:24:29 PM by [SYN] Ace »
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounding yourself with assholes.

— Popularly but incorrectly attributed to William Gibson

Offline Maza

• Members
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2011, 03:42:38 PM »
I'm lousy at highlighting and want to see results quickly, so I try to get as much as possible done with just a basecoat and a wash. The basecoat is painted in a somewhat lighter colour than the final effect i want, and the wash will bring the tone down and provide nice shades. Black is hard to do this way though.

But the choice of method depends on what standard you are aiming for, how much time you are willing to spend et c.

Offline Syn Ace

• Members
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 04:56:34 PM »
Yeah, for blocks of basic troops, I'll sometimes use your method. Or I'll take it a step further and throw down a base color, then the wash, hit the raised areas with the base color again, and then maybe a lighter highlight color.

One thing I found out was my reds didn't look good because I was using a purple wash and someone pointed out that a brown wash gave it a richer shading and they were right.
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounding yourself with assholes.

Offline Maza

• Members
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2011, 01:41:56 PM »
The reds I've painted on a white undercoat lately have been a really bright red, almost orange basecoat, followed by a red wash (baal red).

If I were to paint a black uniform (as Nuln), I would probably settle for the effect given by a very soft grey drybrush on black primer. I agree about the chalky effect, but then again, I wouldn't be perfectly happy with the effect I could achieve by layering either  :-) (I'm not good at it when it comes to clothing) And if the skin, base and contrast colours were given a little effort (not drybrushed), I think the overall results could be great anyway.

Good luck to SmokeyMusket, and when you're done, please post some pictures of your results!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 06:41:13 PM by Maza »

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2011, 05:04:03 PM »
for a good solid pure? red, try hand priming the red to be area with a light to medium grey, this base allows the red to be redder. That is also how they prime cars for red.  steveb

Offline Syn Ace

• Members
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2011, 06:42:48 PM »
When I first started painting, I always had trouble painting red over grey or black (I now prime black exclusively) -- it took a lot of coats. and just looked like crap.  Until GW came out with foundation paints, I used to have to paint the area that was to be red with white or a mix of red and white and then when dry, apply the red.

Offline Auberoun

• Members
  • Moguling the crap out of life.
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2011, 08:12:31 PM »
Echoing some of the advice already posted.  "Multiple thin layers." is the mantra when painting cloth to acheive blending. 

This may help, depending on your level of skill...

http://www.coolminiornot.com/articles/1273-feathering

I plan on doing a cloth tutorial sometime in the near future, since my Google Fu did not turn up many results.
The world you believe is reality is a puppet show!