home

Author Topic: Beginners Question  (Read 2311 times)

Offline 3Fingers

• Members
Beginners Question
« on: February 26, 2010, 08:28:20 PM »
Hi All,

Sorry if this is a basic question, I'm new to both WHFB and Empire. The one thing I seem to be having trouble grasping an understanding of is detachments. I've read several accounts of people saying detachments should be taken as 9 in 3x3 form, and others saying detachments should be taken as 10.

What is the general rule of thumb about how many to put in your attachments and how deep? Is it unit specific? :icon_redface:

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
Re: Beginners Question
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 08:32:37 PM »
Welcome to the forum! :smile2:

People use 3x3 detachments because those have a small frontage, don't leave a big gap in your line, and are difficult for the enemy to charge.

Since units don't need a minimum frontage to negate rank boni in 7th edition, 3x3 is arguably the best formation for close combat detachments.

Somebody will disagree with me in about 5 minutes though, so don't start doing your armylist just yet... :closed-eyes:

Offline Syn Ace

• Members
  • Misinterpreting GW rules since 1991
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 09:15:29 PM »

Somebody will disagree with me in about 5 minutes though, so don't start doing your armylist just yet... :closed-eyes:

Gneisenau is absolutely, completely wrong wrong wrong!  I can't think why, but he just is.

Yeah, 3x3 has its uses if you're short on space during deployment, plus if you want to minimize the chances of your detachment being charged or you want to limit the number of baddies taking a whack at them in combat.
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounding yourself with assholes.

— Popularly but incorrectly attributed to William Gibson

Offline Dihenydd

• Members
  • Back on Hiatus
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 10:07:04 PM »
3 x 3 is useful if your CC detachment is spears or halbs.  You don't really want them to fight (and die) you just want to get a flank attach to push CR in your favour.  Also, 3x3 allows your main units to be closer together (closer to general etc) and makes it harder for enemy to charge the detachment and leave your unit alone (a sneaky enemy tactic).

If you run FC or Swords you may decide to go with 5x2 as you are anticipating these guys actually killing something on top of the base CR advantage.  Those people are wankers like the poster above however and cannot be trusted  :icon_razz:

Seriously, 3x3 is the safest choice
Sometimes the "Old Ones" just need to leave.....

Offline 3Fingers

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 10:31:36 PM »
Ha! Thanks, I think for now I'll stick with the 9s until I get a bit more confidence, I'm not assuming too much when I assume this rule doesn't apply to archers and such, am I?

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 11:21:13 PM »
Ha! Thanks, I think for now I'll stick with the 9s until I get a bit more confidence, I'm not assuming too much when I assume this rule doesn't apply to archers and such, am I?

No you can assume that :) as you want your shooters to lay aim as much as they can.. so you want those as broad as you can.
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 11:29:57 PM »
But arches are different because they skirmish...
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 11:32:12 PM »
But arches are different because they skirmish...

Yeah I was meaning the xbows and handgunners :)
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989