home

Author Topic: Magic the gathering...gathering thread  (Read 481240 times)

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
Re: Magic the gathering...gathering thread
« Reply #2125 on: March 05, 2013, 12:30:32 PM »
Siby, rufus totally Jaced me in one sealed game!
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #2126 on: March 05, 2013, 12:53:12 PM »
Jace is awesome.
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #2127 on: March 05, 2013, 02:23:22 PM »

I knew it! It was all a big sham! He probably plays a mirrodon deck secretly by himself too!

As to planeswalkers, I don't mind them in theory, but for me to like them they would need two changes.

Tone down their power levels. Their top abilities are often 'I win' and even their lower ones are versions of spells that might cast 3 or 4 mana to cast. I am not saying make them useless, just useful without being broken.

Make them 1 of each per deck. It makes no sense to me to have 4 of what is essentially a special character. They just become unspecial then and lose all meaning. Sure they might not comr out every time but that is part of being something different!

As it is, I have played against a number if decks that just rely on having 3 or 4 of them out, replace when necessary until one of their top powers trigger. Bam! Game over.

I think the concept is ok though and most of them have terrific art! I would use them if they weren't so overpowered and prolific.
Quote from: PhillyT
Magic does not have nearly the same problems with power levels as magic. 

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #2128 on: March 05, 2013, 02:26:24 PM »
I don't agree that they are broken.  There top level ability generally should be game winning.  It takes work to keep them alive.

They are very easy to kill.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #2129 on: March 05, 2013, 03:04:21 PM »

Yeh, well you used that stupid cat man on me in another sealed game! So shut up!  :icon_razz:

I won't even use them in sealed now. I don't care if they are broken or not, they are a bad concept and they dominate the game.

The main reason I don't play people I don't know on GCCG is that they might use planeswalkers. I won't take that chance! I'd rather play EDH against some stupid alara deck full of alara cards I've never seen that are all alara-ish.   ::heretic::
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #2130 on: March 05, 2013, 03:37:23 PM »
I don't agree that they are broken.  There top level ability generally should be game winning.  It takes work to keep them alive.

Some of them are. If you take the right kind of deck. Some of them pump out tokens or make you discard any chance of killing them or only take a couple of turns to hit their win ability. Jace drives me crazy. Once he is out that player spends about 80% of the game time for their turn while you are stuck waiting to get milled to oblivion or whatever other fate they have planned. Some control is ok, total control is boring.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #2131 on: March 05, 2013, 03:39:26 PM »
Worldwake Jace obviously was broken, since he utterly ruined standard when he was around and eventually had to be banned.

So there.
If I wanted to.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #2132 on: March 05, 2013, 03:51:30 PM »

Some of them are. If you take the right kind of deck. Some of them pump out tokens or make you discard any chance of killing them or only take a couple of turns to hit their win ability. Jace drives me crazy. Once he is out that player spends about 80% of the game time for their turn while you are stuck waiting to get milled to oblivion or whatever other fate they have planned. Some control is ok, total control is boring.

Total control is so interesting to me, but at tournaments you end up being stared at by the other players as they wait to start the next turn.  And they hate you.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #2133 on: March 05, 2013, 03:59:34 PM »
The game is meant to be fun for both players! There's no point bothering otherwise.

Well, tournaments excepted, probably. But those don't count.
If I wanted to.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #2134 on: March 05, 2013, 04:02:47 PM »
But again, half the fun is overcoming a deck.  Just arbitrarily stating whole deck styles are boring isn't fun either.

I have a mirrodin atrifact control deck that beats the hell out of people with creatures, but people would probably call it mostly control.

Just telling people they can only play aggro isn't fair either!

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #2135 on: March 05, 2013, 04:09:05 PM »
Just telling people they can only play aggro isn't fair either!

I'm glad I didn't say that then.

Just arbitrarily stating whole deck styles are boring isn't fun either.

Or that.

I really like counter-burn decks. But I accept that other people don't really want to play against them, so I don't use them much.
If I wanted to.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #2136 on: March 05, 2013, 04:11:34 PM »
Why don't people like to play counter burn?
Honestly, if you are looking for only decks that everyone likes to play against you will end up essentially looking at aggro decks.  They spam creatures.  People get lots of attacking and blocking in, and people are slowly beat to death.

Some people aren't going to like certain kinds of decks.  As long as a deck is fair and not taking advantage of some obscure or cruel combo, I don't see what the problem is.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #2137 on: March 05, 2013, 04:26:11 PM »
By 'people,' of course, I mean Finlay and Siby! We just play each other all the time.

If someone makes a deck that no one likes playing against, it doesn't get used any more.

Any deck that involves a lot of library-searching is way more painful on the computer than it is in reality. You just sit there, staring at the screen, waiting for something to happen... or possibly go and make a cup of tea and come back later to see if it's your turn yet.

Hating counterspells is pretty common, I think. That's why we're stuck with rubbish like 'cancel' these days! And also why there's no decent blue card draw spell in standard.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 04:35:46 PM by rufus sparkfire »
If I wanted to.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #2138 on: March 05, 2013, 04:54:18 PM »
Counterspells are lame.
I hate on the programme casting something, then having to wait to see if it is cancelled.

Planeswalkers are wack as hell.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #2139 on: March 05, 2013, 05:10:57 PM »
By 'people,' of course, I mean Finlay and Siby! We just play each other all the time.

Good point!

If someone makes a deck that no one likes playing against, it doesn't get used any more.

Any deck that involves a lot of library-searching is way more painful on the computer than it is in reality. You just sit there, staring at the screen, waiting for something to happen... or possibly go and make a cup of tea and come back later to see if it's your turn yet.

Ah, yeah I can see where that can be a pain in the butt.

Hating counterspells is pretty common, I think. That's why we're stuck with rubbish like 'cancel' these days! And also why there's no decent blue card draw spell in standard.

True  They rarely put a good draw card with a legitimate card advantage in core sets.  And people hate to be coutnered, though I I think like counter spells when they get to drop one!  Counter decks, and most control decks, walk a fine line between trying to set up a win condition and stymieing someone else win condition.

Offline towishimp

• Members
« Reply #2140 on: March 06, 2013, 12:29:40 AM »
While what playstyles make for fun games is a matter of preference, there does seem to be pretty good evidence that some styles ARE more unfun to more people.  For instance:

Counterspells are lame.
I hate on the programme casting something, then having to wait to see if it is cancelled.

Wizards agrees with Finlay and millions of others who feel the same, and thus we have the weak counterspells of today, rather than the insane ones of years past.  Also note the greater attention to making sure combo decks don't dominate.  Basically, Wizards pushes creature decks because they're more interactive and more what they feel their game is supposed to be about -- battling with armies of summoned creatures.  I, for one, am happy that they're guiding the game in such a way...and they must be doing something right, because the game just keep growing.
One cannot be deeply responsive to the world without being saddened very often. -- Erich Fromm

Offline Novogord

• Mr Goblin
  • Members
  • Wie wind zaait, zal storm oogsten
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001398349166
« Reply #2141 on: March 06, 2013, 07:19:26 AM »
I really like counter-burn decks. But I accept that other people don't really want to play against them, so I don't use them much.

I know burn decks, I love to play that type. But what is counter burn?
Only the dead have seen the end of the war

Being an intellectual creates a lot of questions and no answers.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #2142 on: March 06, 2013, 10:46:55 AM »
Presumably people don't like land destruction either, since it basically never happens these days.

I know burn decks, I love to play that type. But what is counter burn?

Red/blue counterspells and burn spells.  ::heretic::
If I wanted to.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #2143 on: March 06, 2013, 01:44:57 PM »
Are you sure Magic is bigger than ever?  Last I knew it had peaked though is still very popular.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #2144 on: March 06, 2013, 02:27:18 PM »
I think Innistrad was a big success? Someone said that before... probably towishimp actually.
If I wanted to.

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #2145 on: March 06, 2013, 02:58:15 PM »
I don't mind counter sometimes. I think it is the way it is often coupled with deck searching. You end up feeling like you aren't taking part in the game.

My illusion deck was half counters and half illusions. Worked very nice usually, but horribly fragile.

I often think about making a land killing deck but it is always too expensive.  :x

Made a pauper elephant rhino deck yesterday but had to go to bed before I could test it vs rufus.

My 5 colour deck kinda worked. It is going to be horribly unreliable and it really has no focussed plan, but I am pleased it didn't get thrashed to nothing like I thought it might...

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #2146 on: March 06, 2013, 03:51:46 PM »
I think Innistrad was a big success? Someone said that before... probably towishimp actually.

Whoops just looked at the sales figures.  Yeah the 2011 year was a record breaker for Hasbro!

Offline Karl Voss of Averland

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #2147 on: March 06, 2013, 10:08:03 PM »
Philly, all your decks should include at least one copy of this card:

http://www.mtgfanatic.com/store/magic/viewcard.aspx?i=mtg-ms-028132

Even if you have no red mana.
I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Remembering what Rufas started and endures in us all

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #2148 on: March 07, 2013, 12:11:43 AM »
Duel Decks Sorin vs Tibalt decklists. Hmmmm.

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/feature/237b

Black/white vs... black/red. Too much black! Sorin's deck is quite ghosty though, which I like.

Doesn't look as much fun as Izzet vs Golgari.

Hey, why did these exist? One for each black combination only. Some sort of theme in whichever set it was?

That's good for an uncommon land, surely!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 12:27:51 AM by rufus sparkfire »
If I wanted to.

Offline towishimp

• Members
« Reply #2149 on: March 07, 2013, 01:04:49 AM »
Hey, why did these exist? One for each black combination only. Some sort of theme in whichever set it was?

That's good for an uncommon land, surely!

They were in Torment, part of Odyssey block, where the second 2 sets were 1 "good" set (white and green over-represented) and 1 "evil" set (black overly represented).  Torment was the evil set, so they printed the tainted lands to make it easier to spash the other colors into your black decks.
One cannot be deeply responsive to the world without being saddened very often. -- Erich Fromm