home

Author Topic: Magic the gathering...gathering thread  (Read 481252 times)

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
Re: Magic the gathering...gathering thread
« Reply #4550 on: May 14, 2014, 03:35:55 PM »
btw, it's really weird how un-populated GCCG is. I know it's a bit clunky, but its mtg, for free! mtg has a huge base, and charge for MTGO

apparently there was a different one called "cockatrice" which wizards modbanned!
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #4551 on: May 14, 2014, 04:06:58 PM »
Maybe not many people know about GCCG? But it's just as well it's not packed with people, or we'd never get a table!

No, I don't post on MTGS. I just read it sometimes. I think people are a bit mean there... and also they use annoying buzzwords like 'meta' that fill me with rage. It's interesting that they don't seem to mind mass land destruction though.

Land is in a special category yes. If all your creatures die, just cast more! If all your land is gone, it takes ages to start again, and you’ll probably end up having to discard a bunch of cards as you draw into land.

But it seems a fair answer to something like Prossh (remember him?) which abuses a ton of mana to constantly recast himself and make millions of kobolds. Blow up the lands and he can't come back!

It needs to be an option so that there is a counter to over-ramping.

Also, what if all your creatures die and you don't draw any more for ages? You sit there, unable to do anything, while you wait to draw more. Not so different from losing all your lands.

Isn’t demonic one of the least beardy ones?

No, it's the most beardy one! But I have the card. I also have the four, beardy, mirage-block tutors.  :icon_razz:

Maybe a couple of tutors are OK, since they can let you find the tools to break out of a nasty lock or losing game-state. But if you're using them to find your kill-card every time, it's lame. Tricky.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #4552 on: May 14, 2014, 04:32:08 PM »
You know gannog totally didn't shut you down in either game. Game 1 you steamrolled me with creatures (which he is no help against). Game 2 I'm not so sure but we both had a billion things out. He actually probably only hates a small portion o most decks. And all you need do is sneeze on him and he dies.  :-P

Talking of shutting someone down what about that dude who ate my hand and then kept me in constant topdecking mode. He is just a meany!

So I guess with the tutoring hate you guys don't want me to use the guy who tutors legends?  :engel:

Another little comment on the woodlouse god, the land is nice yes but my deck was not built around needing loads of mana. The main usage I got out of all that land was just recasting guys you kept bouncing *cough lockdown cough* . It's a bit like the populate legend, really good, but only in a deck that had lots of token stuff going on. Well, better than that, but same theory.  :-P
Quote from: PhillyT
Magic does not have nearly the same problems with power levels as magic. 

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #4553 on: May 14, 2014, 04:35:08 PM »
You know gannog totally didn't shut you down in either game. Game 1 you steamrolled me with creatures (which he is no help against). Game 2 I'm not so sure but we both had a billion things out. He actually probably only hates a small portion o most decks. And all you need do is sneeze on him and he dies.  :-P

Talking of shutting someone down what about that dude who ate my hand and then kept me in constant topdecking mode. He is just a meany!

So I guess with the tutoring hate you guys don't want me to use the guy who tutors legends?  :engel:

Another little comment on the woodlouse god, the land is nice yes but my deck was not built around needing loads of mana. The main usage I got out of all that land was just recasting guys you kept bouncing *cough lockdown cough* . It's a bit like the populate legend, really good, but only in a deck that had lots of token stuff going on. Well, better than that, but same theory.  :-P

hey I just noticed that Gaddock doesn't work at all vs creatures.
He'd be a peace of piss for Marath then. I'd just shoot him whenever I needed to.

But Siby, if you weren't using Gaddock as general, you'd just put in the bigger green stuff.

maybe!

Pass the machete.

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #4554 on: May 14, 2014, 04:40:02 PM »
hey I just noticed that Gaddock doesn't work at all vs creatures.
He'd be a peace of piss for Marath then. I'd just shoot him whenever I needed to.

I'm tellin ya, he's not that scary  :-P. I think he only stopped rufus casting one thing, or at least one thing he really wanted to, and he still won against me. Even in game two I reckon Rufus might have been able to beat me had he have been trying harder. I think he went easy on me. Or maybe it was just getting so complicated he couldn't be bothered. It was certainly getting that way!

So I am about to start making a red/white deck with Gisela... sound ok? She is not too cheap at least...

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #4555 on: May 14, 2014, 04:42:47 PM »
I guess people who have more complicated decks probably causes more problems. He wouldn't mess too much with Marath, anyway. or rather, I could still use the deck in other ways.

I have a R/W with Gisela too! he he.

Pass the machete.

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #4556 on: May 14, 2014, 04:44:55 PM »
Yeh and all you have to do is kill him (do 2 damage, not too tricky)and the effect is gone giving a chance to blast those spells before he comes back. .

You have one already? Hmm, maybe I will go a diff way for now then. Want  variety...

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #4557 on: May 14, 2014, 04:51:16 PM »
We caqn just not use it at the same time.

Pass the machete.

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #4558 on: May 14, 2014, 04:53:19 PM »
I'll probably come back to it, but I kinda want to make a Black Blue deck with Vela as my commander. She seems good but no where near uber powerful...

Offline Novogord

• Mr Goblin
  • Members
  • Wie wind zaait, zal storm oogsten
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001398349166
« Reply #4559 on: May 14, 2014, 07:53:13 PM »
And the program is installing the cards...
Only the dead have seen the end of the war

Being an intellectual creates a lot of questions and no answers.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #4560 on: May 14, 2014, 10:32:39 PM »
I hope you get it working soon, Novogord!

Siby: sorry about those games! Not getting enough land is annoying.
If I wanted to.

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #4561 on: May 14, 2014, 11:33:02 PM »
Yeh, I didn't leave in frustration though, my wife was ready to dog walk.

Can't believe i got so little land twice in a row though.

I think why I dislike derevi so much is perhaps similar as to why one might not like teeg, cheap to cast and locks down your opponent. It felt pointless casting any creatures once I could cos you could just tap them. And he just ramps the deck so fast too cos he can untap your lands.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #4562 on: May 14, 2014, 11:43:30 PM »
But Derevi can't tap your creatures until he deals combat damage to you. Which is too late for it to matter! The only time he meaningfully taps a creature is when he comes into play.
If I wanted to.

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #4563 on: May 15, 2014, 01:15:37 AM »
True, though I remember it being in and out of the command zone like a yoyo before so I am guessing he was used to blocl, die and then come right back out constantly... Which is pretty handy.

Offline Fearywings

• Members
« Reply #4564 on: May 15, 2014, 08:43:52 AM »
Does anyone in here have a vampire EDH deck?

It's been a long time since I last played my vampire deck, so I'm turning it into EDH...

I'm not sure yet whether I'm going for mono black or black and white and which of below Commander's I should use:
- Vish kal, blood arbiter
- Drana, Kalastria Bloodchief
- Anowon, the Ruin Sage
- Baron Sengir

Anyone having some advice for which cards I should definitely use? :D
If I can't even protect my captain's dream, then whatever ambition I have is nothing but just talk! ~Roronoa Zoro

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #4565 on: May 15, 2014, 09:32:08 AM »
I wouldn’t go monoblack, just to add extra utility. Black and white gives you access to all the cool orzhov stuff

I’d probably go for Olivia voldaren myself, but you didn’t mention red!

Pass the machete.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #4566 on: May 15, 2014, 09:58:08 AM »
I'd also say Olivia Voldaren would be good, since you could then use all the red and black/red vampires from Innistrad (notably
Falkenrath Aristocrat and Stromkirk Captain). She's also 4 mana vs Vish Kal's 7, so easier to cast (and recast).

On the other hand, black/white is probably more powerful and versatile than black/red. And Vish Kal is really good.

Some vampires you should consider including: bloodline keeper (amazing token maker), blood artist and falkenrath noble, Butcher of Malakir, captivating vampire, malakir bloodwitch, necropolis regent.
If I wanted to.

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #4567 on: May 15, 2014, 10:02:03 AM »
I tried anuwon but he was disappointing. Seems like in Edh everyone has plenty of creatures they don't mind saccing. Olivia on the other hand is cheap and probably a 5/5 flyer the next turn. Then you can either keep biting people to make her bigger or just start stealing them instead. Pretty cool.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #4568 on: May 15, 2014, 10:04:33 AM »
Playing mono-black is asking to be messed up by enchantments and artifacts, too!
If I wanted to.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #4569 on: May 15, 2014, 10:49:26 AM »
Why does no one use this? Why don't I use this?

Ghave wants this card!
If I wanted to.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #4570 on: May 15, 2014, 11:27:19 AM »
I guess it gives opponents chance to kill it.

looks amazing though! i want it for anti ghave measures!

Playing mono-black is asking to be messed up by enchantments and artifacts, too!
indeed, and white gives you swords to plowshares, journey to nowhere, path to exile, oblivion ring, new oblivion ring and that indestructible bug one.

Pass the machete.

Offline Fearywings

• Members
« Reply #4571 on: May 15, 2014, 11:53:45 AM »
Stefaan also proposed Olivia Voldaren... But sadly enough I suck at playing red...
I'm thinking of making my deck in the same theme as my normal vampire deck, which is a life drain deck.
So would the red vampires fit in that type of deck or not?  :|

My normal deck was mono black and I had indeed often problems against enchantments and artifacts... A journey to nowhere and Oblivion ring would often come in handy...

Blood artist, Blood seeker, Kalastria Highborn Falkenrath Noble were already in my normal deck, so I definitely want to re-use them.
Bloodline keeper, Butcher of Malakir, captivating vampire, malakir bloodwitch, necropolis regent would indeed be nice in it.

Kalitas, Bloodchief of Ghet I also like ^^
I'm also thinking of using Sorin Markov and if I would go Black/white I could use Sorin, Lord of Innistrad...

Grimoire of the dead looks indeed nice... I quite like Rise of the Dark Realms. It a bigger mana cost (2 more mana in total, but all at once). However, you don't have to discard 3 cards (I hate discarding cards... have too much traumatic experience with it :D) and it's a bit more of a surprise for the opponents... Unless you have blue against you...
If I can't even protect my captain's dream, then whatever ambition I have is nothing but just talk! ~Roronoa Zoro

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #4572 on: May 15, 2014, 12:07:03 PM »
except with GoD, you can discard creatures, before getting them back with it!

From what you’ve said, I’d go B/W. What about using orzhov-y stuff, as extort fits well with lifegain, and is super beardy in multiplayer EDH!

Pass the machete.

Offline Novogord

• Mr Goblin
  • Members
  • Wie wind zaait, zal storm oogsten
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001398349166
« Reply #4573 on: May 15, 2014, 12:38:02 PM »

From what you’ve said, I’d go B/W. What about using orzhov-y stuff, as extort fits well with lifegain, and is super beardy in multiplayer EDH!
True, hut red ads terminate, dreadbore,...
What would you guys use as a black white budget base?
Only the dead have seen the end of the war

Being an intellectual creates a lot of questions and no answers.

Offline Fearywings

• Members
« Reply #4574 on: May 15, 2014, 12:52:35 PM »

True... However, it takes several turns before you can use it. Even if the artifact is not destroyed or exiled, Players still have enough opportunity to reduce the effect with e.g. Nihil Spellbomb and Ravenous Trap. Ow well... it's edh... whatever you do, opponents allways have some surprise in their sleeve :D

I also thought of using card with extort, like e.g. Tithe Drinker has extort. But I was told that Thite Drinker wasn't that good :/

True, hut red ads terminate, dreadbore,...

Guess who really likes red ^^