home

Author Topic: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (update: out)  (Read 296331 times)

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
Pandemonium Multi-PLog (update: out)
« on: June 14, 2014, 05:47:52 AM »
ACHTUNG!

This PLog has been Photobucketed! Many pics missing, but they pick back up on an alternate host around here: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=48972.950

ZeroTwentythree's Pandemonium Multi-PLog Shadow Show

So... I've more or less fallen out of the wargaming hobby. Selling the last of my armies, haven't played games in ages, etc. But I still enjoy painting, and the lack of wargaming means that I can just paint whatever catches my attention, and it also doesn't have to be "tournament legal" as the saying goes. I figure this calls for a new PLog.

For those not familiar, my old Marienburg and terrain PLogs:

http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=20815.0
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=37395.0

What will you be posting here?

Random stuff. Sort of like the tail end of the Marienburg PLog, which had already started to lose focus. Some of it will still be Empire related stuff. Some will be remainders from the Marienburg project. Some of it will just be miniatures that I really want to paint. Some of it will probably be some crazy kitbashed or sculpted stuff. Probably none of it at a consistently fast pace.

The past few years, I feel like my interests & experience in both wargaming/modeling and art sort of merged as I got into the designer & custom art-toy scene. So it's not Warhamer, or miniatures at all, but would anyone be interested in seeing me post some of that here -- or is that way off topic? To see what I'm talking about, here's my art site, which has more or less been taken over by toys the past year or two: http://www.infiniterabbits.com/

(On a related note, I recently bought a bunch of equipment to start resin production for original sculptures/toys, but may end up doing some original gaming miniatures at some point.)

So, what's new (in miniatures) ZeroTwentythree?

OK, so some of the first things I will post here are probably going to look like a continuation of unfinished stuff from my Marienburg PLog. I think I will be painting up some more giants, for example. And then there is this guy, who I threatened to paint (for fun.) A mercenary giant snail knight -- useful in those swamps of the Wasteland! He's on a Demigriff sized base, FYI.

... and in a completely different direction, I can't remember if I posted this here before...

I honestly can't even remember who made this anymore. The original producer sold it to someone else. Maybe someone else knows. I think it was called a Demobot when I bought it. I really like the design of the figure. A hassle to pin, but fun to paint!

« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 02:11:40 AM by ZeroTwentythree »

Offline Bishmeister

• Members
Re: ZeroTwentythree's Pandemonium Multi-PLog Shadow Show
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 06:20:18 AM »
Beautiful paintwork on the snail shell, very realistic. Great weathering on the pew pew model.
Follow me on Twitter @Bishmeister1

Offline b0007452

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 09:15:10 AM »
Just had a look at your toy website man and it all looks amazing, pretty creepy; but amazing.

Nice little website as well. Good layout and that.
:) My Slowly Growing Army of Bogenhafen - http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=44020 :)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 10:21:12 AM »
I like the snail and his rider, as well as the robot.  Well done! :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::

On your art site, are those figures all hand made by yourself?  Granted the painting is excellent, but is it just the painting that is making them look highly detailed or is it also the scuplting, too?
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline The Ol Perfesser

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 10:47:27 AM »
All great stuff.  Thanks for sharing!   :::cheers::: :::cheers::: :::cheers:::
Never make predictions, especially about the future.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 11:06:23 AM »
Great stuff! One of my colleagues is into the custom toy scene, it's a really interesting art form which overlaps with our miniatures hobby. The main differences seem to be down to the much larger size of the toys and the large smooth areas to paint on. And as you say the freedom from making your art compatible with a game.

Really impressed with your work there. The fact that GamesPoet isn't sure if the detail is painted or sculpted (it's mostly painted in my experience) shows just how good your painting is.  :::cheers:::

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2014, 02:09:35 PM »
wow, love it sir  :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2014, 04:59:41 PM »
Excellent work - and I would love to see any kind of painting and modelling here, of whatever sort.
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2014, 03:36:24 PM »
Thanks!

I'm trying to decide what to paint next, and I'm thinking about one of the big giants (as redundant as that sounds.) I pulled out the one from Ultraforge, but noticed some annoying things about the casting...

There are gates/vents right along some of the detail. These are the two most annoying ones -- right on the chin and the details on the necklaces. That means both of these areas will have to be cut away, filed down and re-sculpted. The one on top of the neck isn't bad. The best spot really would have been on a flat spot on the back/shoulder and maybe the top of the head -- areas with the least detail and least amount of re-sculpting required.

So now I'm debating about whether to do this one or something else.  I should probably just make up my mind on what to do for the Pleasant Surprises and work on that!

Great stuff! One of my colleagues is into the custom toy scene, it's a really interesting art form which overlaps with our miniatures hobby. The main differences seem to be down to the much larger size of the toys and the large smooth areas to paint on. And as you say the freedom from making your art compatible with a game.

Really impressed with your work there. The fact that GamesPoet isn't sure if the detail is painted or sculpted (it's mostly painted in my experience) shows just how good your painting is.  :::cheers:::

As far as the designer & vinyl toys, I do a lot of sculpting, but the details are really a mix of sculpting and painting. The sculpted details are generally not as small as miniatures. I should take a pic of a toy next to a Warhammer miniature later to compare. There's really a lot of variety in what people do in terms of style, technique, subject matter, etc. That's another part of what I enjoy about it.

People I've met come from a big variety of backgrounds. I have come across a few other people from a miniatures/Warhammer background. But even among those who aren't, even the tools are shared. Like a lot of people who have never touched a miniature use GW, Vallejo, etc. paints, for example. It's also interesting seeing how people's backgrounds influence what they do -- and being able to pick out some of the miniatures influence.

I've personally had a lot of crossover of ideas. After taking a bit of a break from miniatures, I've now been thinking about all the new ideas & techniques I'd like to work with, and just having a fresh perspective has lit a bit of a fire for miniatures again. This is sort of like some advice one of my teachers gave me in architecture school. I spent most of my time working on school projects, and was getting frustrated/blocked on one. He told me to go out, have a few drinks, do something else, and forget about architecture for a bit.

At any rate, I've been playing around outside of the usual "designer" toys, and recently pulled out one of my own vintage toys. I had originally repainted this for use in 40k, but it was a poor paint job and the SM army that it went with is looooong gone (original plastic beekee marines!) One day, on my long commute home from a museum I work for the idea popped in my head. A couple days later I was working on this bit of blasphemy...

It's an old 1988 plastic toy from Kenner.  ::heretic::

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 05:34:36 PM »
Some old Warmachine figures I dug out and finally finished. Getting rid of them. Although the game seemed cool in concept, I was never really able to get into it.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2014, 07:13:59 PM »
SNAP!  :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Novogord

• Mr Goblin
  • Members
  • Wie wind zaait, zal storm oogsten
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001398349166
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2014, 07:31:55 AM »
Great work! :happy:
Only the dead have seen the end of the war

Being an intellectual creates a lot of questions and no answers.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2014, 10:03:14 AM »
The Warmachine figures look excellent!
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline The Ol Perfesser

• Members
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2014, 10:32:46 PM »
Very well painted!!   :::cheers::: :::cheers:::
Never make predictions, especially about the future.

Offline Realjuan

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Always learning
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2014, 06:29:10 AM »
Nice to see unique work. Looking forward to see more.
Trading Orcs for Empire
"Gratitude is a duty which ought to be paid, but which none have a right to expect" Jean Jacque Rousseau

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2014, 02:57:41 AM »
No toy soldiers lately. Been pouring my efforts into more designer toy shows, including one that I've organized at a local gallery. After that's over, I still have more shows to prep for, but should have time for some overdue mini-painting. I do have my Pleasant Surprise project on the table!

I'll probably post some pics after the show.

This guy, below, ("Earth") is currently part of a show in NY. He was a pain to try to photograph, because it ended up so tall I had to rework my lighting & backdrop, which is really set up for miniatures and only somewhat larger stuff. So there are shadows, color & focus problems, etc.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2014, 03:11:40 AM »
That's amazing. Love the concept.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2014, 03:06:38 PM »

"Miniatures are back on the menu, boys!"

I've finally started painting my "Pleasant Surprise" after losing the first one (seriously, it disappeared) and much indecisiveness. I am also painting a few odds & ends to fill out a HE army I had previously painted. After that, it looks like I may have landed a commission for a full, "studio-quality" 40k army that I'm very excited about. Soon I will have some actual gaming miniatures to post. I think I'm going to pick out something to paint for myself, for fun, too.

I have noticed that my aging eyes now take a while to adjust and focus on small miniatures. Especially just now, as I was painting eyes on a bunch of them. In fact, I ended up having to take off my glasses (for seeing far) which also helped a lot. Growing up is no fun.

In the meantime, I had been putting most of my "free time" into the toy show I previously posted about (see above.) That was mostly administrative & prep work, though I did actually put a few of my own toys in the show, like...

Offline liuzheng

• Members
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2014, 08:37:57 AM »
Very cool!

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2014, 09:12:06 PM »

Tonight the two vinyl toys below will be at the Vinyl Thoughts Art Show in Dallas. Big show. I'm jealous that it's so far away.

http://www.vinylthoughtsartshow.com/

I am painting some WFB figures now and will have some pics soon.

Eye Meat

Javier

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2014, 10:22:38 PM »
Working on some minis. These are some late additions to the High Elf army I painted for someone a while ago. Still WIP, but I got a new phone and was looking for an excuse to try out the camera on some minis. (Looks like it does OK, but with a limited range of focus. I bet it will be great at photographing single figures. Will need to tinker with it a bit...)

I'm also continuing to keep busy with the designer toys. I'm going to try not to spam this thread with too many of those pics. BUT.... One of the toy news blogs interviewed me for their monthly artist feature. Note I credited my time spent painting minis & exposure to certain artists in developing my skills & style.  :mrgreen:

http://www.vinylpulse.com/2014/10/reactor-88s-custom-corner-infinite-rabbits.html

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2014, 02:31:45 PM »
congratz dude, great article  :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2014, 04:58:53 AM »
The Silver Helms were out on campaign for a while, but have been back with me recently and I've been trying to finish painting the details. I have concluded the following:

Skullz : Everyone Else in Warhammer :: Gemz : Elves

Hope to be done soon, and also have some other surprise pics...

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2014, 02:31:35 PM »
haha true  :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Lateksimajava

• Members
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2014, 03:41:20 PM »