home

Author Topic: 2000pt tournament/all comer army  (Read 543 times)

Offline redjoey

• Members
2000pt tournament/all comer army
« on: April 23, 2006, 02:15:07 PM »
I am trying to build a good all round army for tournament use.
Here goes

Elector Count (116pts)
Great Weapon, Armour of Meteoric Iron
Joins Swordsman unit to add a bit of punch

Captain (130pts)
Wymslayer Sword, Full Plate Armour, Shield, Pegasus
War Machine/Lone Wizard/Ethereal/Large Monster/Skirmisher hunter

Captain (110pts)
Sword of Sigismund, Full Plate Armour, Shield
Joins Spearmen unit

Captain (78pts)
Lance, Full Plate Armour, Shield, Barded Warhorse
Joins Knights

24 Swordmen (193pts)
  Duellist, Standard Bearer, Musician
d.10 Swordsmen (70pts)
d.10 Free Company (5opts)
This is my main attacking unit with a good attacking detachment and one that can take hits

24 Spearmen (193pts)
  Shields, Sergeant, Standard Bearer, Musician
d.5 Handgunners (40pts)
d.5 Handgunners (40pts)
This unit will be used to receive charges with handgunners standing and shooting and captain with Sword of Sigismund reducing (hopefully) number of attacks landing on unit

10 Handgunners (105pts)
  Marksman with Hochland Long Rifle
d.5 Crossbowmen (40pts)
d.5 Crossbowmen (40pts)
This unit never fails to annoy people, will be used to shield warmachines and thin down enemy numbers where required

5 Knights of the Inner Circle (195pts)
First Knight, Standard Bearer with War Banner, Musician
Used as a tag team with Pistoliers to hold one flank

5 Huntsmen (50pts)
March blockers and general annoyance

5 Pistoliers (95pts)
Teamed up with Knights to harry flank

2 Greatcannons (200pts)
One on either flank to crossfire and kill chariots/large monsters/ranks of well armoured troops

Mortar (75pts)
Used to thin down enemy ranks, also makes people leave more space between units which makes it easier to get detachment counter charges in

Helblaster Volley Gun (125pts)
Used to deter people from advancing towards my shooty flank

5 Flagellants (55pts)
Used to release fanatics, also hold up fast cavalry units/protect warmacines

2000pts           120men, 4 warmacines+crew

I am aware that i have no magic defence which might knack me up in the magic phase but there is reason as to why i haven't. First of all I don't agree with spending 110pts on a wizard that is never likely to cast a spell, it is not a very good defence against an army with more than one wizard and i could better spend the points on something which is likely to bring VPs (Spearmen Captain). I don't think it is possible to have background to an army containing a robed guy who wonders around the battlefield while everybody else is tooled up ready for war, I leave my preachers and robed motley crew with the caravan train away from the battlefield!
I also have no BSB, personally i think they are over rated. I am quite likely to run away once or twice during a battle after all i am human!
People might think all my war machines are quite cheesy. I don't. It is my equaliser like archers are to Wood Elves, blackpowder is to Dwarves and magic users are to Tomb King armies.Knight unit is purposely kept small, People get quite concerned when you throw 10+ knights at them where as a group of 6 doesn't get as much attention. Used as a tag team with Pistoliers they will still walk straight through most units.

Probably not your usual list but let me know what you think
Thanks
Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution.