home

Author Topic: Fantasy Tribes Brown Orcs Project (FINISHED ARMY SHOTS!)  (Read 20492 times)

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
Re: Fantasy Tribes Orcs Project (now definitely Brown!)
« Reply #75 on: February 16, 2019, 11:43:06 AM »
Thanks, it was quite a lot more work than I expected but I'm happy with how it came out.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #76 on: February 21, 2019, 12:42:59 AM »

Red Goblin Wolf Rider - test model - comments welcome!

Offline orcyboy

• Members
« Reply #77 on: February 21, 2019, 06:36:28 PM »
I love it. I like the work around the eyes, it helps bring out some features.

These old red orcs always remind me of the 1980's actor Michael Berryman.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #78 on: February 22, 2019, 10:14:18 AM »
Glad you like him. The faces are pretty featureless, I think I need to do more to suggest a mouth but I'm also trying not to make him look like a clown! Some of the other models have a bit more definition, so maybe painting one of those will be a good guide. The main thing at this point is I think I'm happy with the colours

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #79 on: February 22, 2019, 12:47:50 PM »
Not sure I'd call him an orc, he looks different, and wondering where that figure came from, he's cool. :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #80 on: February 22, 2019, 01:13:58 PM »
These are still old Citadel Miniatures of about the same age (1982 release). They were originally labelled as "Red Orcs" but were later sold as "Half Orcs" and "Red Goblins". They are way smaller than any orc model... much more sensible to count them as Goblins.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #81 on: February 22, 2019, 02:48:01 PM »
He does look more like a goblin, especially since being on a wolf.  The whole figure looks like they mean business. :icon_cool: :eusa_clap:

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #82 on: February 25, 2019, 01:04:54 PM »
I'm hoping a dozen or so of these fellas will look pretty badass, at least as badass as little goblins can be!  :icon_twisted:

They're obviously not (closely) related to the orcs, I think they're a semi-nomadic tribe working as mercenaries and scouts - look at all the luggage he's carrying around. Plus, the severed heads are very much a theme. Maybe they get a bounty per head?

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
Re: Fantasy Tribes Brown Orcs Project (now with Red Goblins!)
« Reply #83 on: February 25, 2019, 03:56:04 PM »
I like the idea of them being a semi-nomadic.  And that your goblins will be red, excellent, looking forward to seeing more! :::cheers:::

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
Re: Fantasy Tribes Brown Orcs Project (now with Red Goblins!)
« Reply #84 on: March 02, 2019, 05:40:23 PM »
More Red Goblins

I'm growing very fond of these little guys now, I might even have to chase down some of the infantry models. Also this completes my first March goal already!

Can't stop painting at the moment, mostly because it's more fun than all the other tasks I'm putting off... I'm going to launch into my remaining armoured orcs, a motley collection that I think will be chieftains or similar, forming a small elite unit which I'll maybe count as Black Orcs.

Also, I did a quick count, and I have too many orcs for 3000 points. Should I just carry on painting or should I draw a line when I hit 3000?  :?

Also, we need to talk about Shamen

There are no shaman, witchdoctors or whatever in this range. It feels wrong to have a Fantasy army without magic, though. So what options are there:

- convert a couple from this style of Orcs (but I haven't really spotted a good starting model yet)
- use Goblin models of the same era (would work better if they matched the goblins I'm already using, but guess what?)
- use later Orc models (which are quite different in style)
- bus in Wizards from another range of the same era, and then explain it with fluff

Interested in your thoughts and suggestions. Any models you think might match?

When I get some time to think I'll stick up pictures of some mini options that cross my mind...
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 11:41:44 PM by Shadespyre »

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
Re: Fantasy Tribes Brown Orcs Project (Shaman Ideas Please!)
« Reply #85 on: March 16, 2019, 02:57:14 PM »
Still stuck on the Shamen thing, all ideas welcomed!!!

Mended an orc with a plastic Skeleton scimitar to see how it looks -  a bit oversized but I think it'll pass? They are not the (impossible to source!) scimitars I really wanted, but a more recent equivalent.

Of course, to include a regiment of these in the army we are going to end up way past the 3000 points mark...

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
Re: Fantasy Tribes Brown Orcs Project (Shaman Ideas Please!)
« Reply #86 on: March 16, 2019, 04:46:07 PM »
Looks like a good fit! :::cheers:::

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
Re: Fantasy Tribes Brown Orcs Project (Chieftains)
« Reply #87 on: March 17, 2019, 11:55:11 PM »
Yeah, I think it'll do, better than leaving them unmended!

Here are some more heavily armoured orcs, I think I'm going to pop them into their own small unit and call the "chieftains" or similar

One of the interesting things about this range is some of the weapon choices. The rank and file orcs pretty much match the weapons listed in the AD&D Monster Manual - spears, axes, scimitars, bows and a few crossbows. But someone chose to include a sickle, a two-handed mace and even throwing darts - TWICE - in the mix. I am definitely including that in the army list!

Oh, I also promised pictures of the repaired variants of the great mace guy...

Same model, different problems. The halberd conversion started off with a miscast shaft, so there was a gap in the mace handle. I toyed with a two weapon combo, and then went for this. The axe conversion is a sadder story - that model has terrible LEAD ROT. The mace head was missing and when I tried to drill into the shaft to replace it, his arm just came off and the weapon haft crumbled into pieces! So this guy is cobbled together from the remains and some bits.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #88 on: March 18, 2019, 11:52:21 AM »
They look up for a fight! :icon_cool: :eusa_clap:

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #89 on: March 18, 2019, 08:57:56 PM »
really like the Red Goblin riders, specifically the clothing. good color choices there.
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #90 on: March 19, 2019, 09:23:52 PM »
Thanks guys! Colourwise, I stuck with the same palette for clothes as the Orcs, I hope it blends them into the army a bit while staying distinct.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #91 on: March 30, 2019, 04:49:55 PM »
Nothing else finished yet, but I've started building some artillery pieces. There isn't much in the way of war machines that are as ancient as these orcs, so I'm having to cheat a little bit and use some (gasp!) slotta based models! Yikes!

The old models that I could get are in a bit of a state - a few missing pieces, and some in a terrible state due to the dreaded lead rot. I've made replacements for a few pieces and done a lot of greenstuff repairs on others and they look okay. Good enough for orcs, certainly.

I thought maybe I'd add a giant to the force? It's become a traditional part of an orc army; even if they are not part of the 3rd edition army list, they are available as mercenaries. There are a few D&Desque giants from around this time, but they are mostly pretty small (1st ed D&D Hill Giants were only a bit bigger than ogres, so this is logical) but there's one which isn't too embarassing...

This is George the Giant (yes, that's his official name).

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #92 on: April 07, 2019, 05:15:08 PM »
Built and painted some artillery! OMG so much brown paint...

This is a pair of the TA4 Orc War Machines, from late 1983. These are the earliest Orc artillery pieces in the Citadel range, as far as I know. I had to do a fair bit of repair and even replace a couple of parts, but they came out okay. I'm one crewman short here, still hunting ebay for another one.

Bolt throwers. Now these really are cheating a bit, though they are about as early as I could get. These are actually C22 Orc Bolt Throwers from 1986, though they are based on the sculpts for the RR14 Notlob's Orc Artillery which were released in 1985. The latter are much, more more expensive to buy and use mostly the same slotta-based crew models.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 05:40:42 PM by Shadespyre »

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
Re: Fantasy Tribes Brown Orcs Project (Artillery!)
« Reply #93 on: April 08, 2019, 12:26:27 PM »
That's a decent arsenal, especially for Orcs.  :-)

And I very much like the browns!

The C22 Bolt Throwers come with the rope & the bolt on their bases? And presumably the Notlob's don't? I have a strange warmachine base in my bits box, and it looks very much like these.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #94 on: April 08, 2019, 12:34:38 PM »
I think the Notlob bolt thrower bases have the rope but not the bolt or the steel reinforcements. Also the bolt throwers themselves don't have the additional metal details or the row of rivets along the front of the bow.

I always liked the fact that these bolt throwers look portable, you could imagine them being carried around by 3 or 4 orcs, or on a small cart. The trebuchets, I think, are much more likely to be found at an orc stronghold as defensive weapons.

Offline Doc J

• Members
  • The Prince of Brooklyn Park
« Reply #95 on: April 08, 2019, 12:58:29 PM »
These guys kick ass.
In the words of the late great Nicki Minaj - Ya done son

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #96 on: April 08, 2019, 04:55:38 PM »
Those look good, I like 'em! :icon_cool: :eusa_clap:

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #97 on: April 10, 2019, 11:53:30 PM »

George The Giant (FF64-2), and his chum, a Giant Two Headed Troll (FF16-2)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #98 on: April 11, 2019, 12:45:41 AM »
Is the two headed dud wearing shades? :icon_wink:

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #99 on: April 11, 2019, 11:47:50 AM »
No, he just has ridiculously bushy eyebrows!   :mrgreen: