home

Author Topic: Blood Bowl ... Mid Atlantic Cup vs Wiss!  (Read 37761 times)

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
Re: Blood Bowl ... the thread!
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2012, 08:16:11 PM »
I often think of excellent ways I should have done stuff after I have done tonnes of work doing it a more complicated and worse way. See my semi-modular gaming board blog for proof  :-P.

Thanks for all the input guys. I have a flat white spraypaint. I wonder if I was just careful if I could get away with it. I could do small passes from far away... A template of determined length is a way better idea than what I had thought which was a whole sheet covering the board with the lines cut out, that would have been a nightmare!

Still gotta get me some more dark grass for my alt squares but I am doing a bit each day and it's quite exxiting knowing what it will come out like...
Quote from: PhillyT
Magic does not have nearly the same problems with power levels as magic. 

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2012, 10:18:30 PM »
As they say, hind site is 20/20. I find that even if I find there was a better way I could have done something, I'm still always damn proud of my results in the end. Looks like I may be playing some Blood Bowl soon, even if I'm more looking forward to playing some Dreadball when I get my stuff.

I picked up a copy of the Blood Bowl Team Manager Card Game on Black Friday. I was talking about it at work and one of the guys at work wants me to bring in my Blood Bowl stuff sometime. I've just got the human and orc teams that come with it, but those should be good enough to teach him.
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2012, 12:18:50 AM »
Very happy with how my board has come together.

Probably gonna cut a template for the lines bit rather than spray, use it as a way to keep my brushed on paint straight. Spart seems to messy to do such small work in my situation.

Wondering aboit finding some dice shape cubes from a hobbyish shop to make some block dice but I haven't tried looking yet...

My human team is coming along nicely too. Really hard to find colours that I liked...

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2012, 01:14:04 PM »
Are you using  green stuff for your team?
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2012, 07:49:03 PM »
My team is the actual human blood bowl team. Got it last christmas from my lovely wife.

Phil is using marauders as Norse. He did a nice job at converting them up. There will be pictures posted when we do Chistmasbowl of both in action.

I forgot to mention last time but I putt a lil metal strip beneath the balls and then magnatize the bases. Should make keeping the balls from falling off all the time nice and easy.   8-)

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2012, 09:58:12 PM »
Sneak Peak of WIP...

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2012, 10:16:48 PM »
That looks really good.  Plans on bringing that with on your excursion north?  Fair warning I probably won't have a team by then. :wink:
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2012, 10:26:43 PM »
That's the beauty if bloodbowl. It's relatively transportable!

I hope to have a spare team by then so no worries on that front.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2012, 01:06:47 AM »
No armour Norse. Sad times.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2012, 01:22:23 PM »
That board looks amazing, Siby!
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #60 on: December 21, 2012, 03:27:31 PM »
Wow, that board is very impressive, I'm looking forward to seeing it completely finished. That is a crazy amount of static grass you've used though.
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #61 on: December 22, 2012, 02:47:21 AM »
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #62 on: December 22, 2012, 06:45:14 AM »
Thanks all.  :happy:

The thing that drove me most crazy was having to do that square pattern.... Argh!

Think I know how I want to do the endzones now which is good as I only have a few days to get it finished!

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #63 on: December 25, 2012, 02:45:48 AM »
I don't know how you managed to get the squares to line up so well and come out, well square! It's definitely a one time thing.

One of my co-workers wants me to teach him how to play Bloodbowl. I want to, but I think I'm going to try out Dreadball first.
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #64 on: December 27, 2012, 09:50:48 PM »
So against all the odds, my brother and I actually got in a full game on Christmas Day!

FIREDRAKES (humans -me) vs JABBERSLYTHES (norse -brother)

It was a pretty tight affair and in the first half his werewolf and berserker fellow were knocking my guys over left right and centre which allowed him the chance to run away for a score.

In the second half though, I was a bit more sensible with my deep cover and nipped a receiver along the side of the field, lobbed him the ball and he just about dodged in for a TD.

With not long to go I had three guys knocked out and was feeling the pressure. The Norse looked sure to score and threw a ball in my half which if caught was a certain TD but no! My blitzer intercepted on a 6, took off down the field and with a flurry of well made dodge rolls took the ball over the line for a surprise 2-1 win!!

It was a fun game mostly highlighted by the soapiness of the ball which at times bobbled out of one team's hands, through the other team's hands, into the crowd and back to the original guy. Much amusement all round.

I like the versatility of the human team but my lack of strength and block skill meant I rarely won blocks. Thankfully the Norse make up for that by not being able to catch a ball.  :-P

Looking forward to more games. Alas, I wasn't able to put on the lines but we played anyways, here's a few phone pics:

A birds eye view. It was really nice to see some teams on there after all the hard work.

The Norse running in their first TD

"Send him off Ref!" (A spare kindly donated dwarf from CoD who I decided for fun to make into a ref)

Offline arjunstc

• Members
Re: Blood Bowl ... first proper game!!
« Reply #65 on: December 28, 2012, 12:53:48 AM »
Looks even more beautiful with figures on it!

You can get a lot of practice with the computer version of the game - that's what I do when I can't get a real game in.

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #66 on: December 28, 2012, 04:41:38 PM »
Wow, it looks even better close up. I like your brother's norse conversions, but of all the figs I really like your ref conversion most of all.

One of the things I found with the humans is it's really always and uphill battle with them. While they are a diverse team, they struggle compared to other teams at the start, but even as they gain experience your opponent's are gaining as well. Orcs and Dwarves are so much tougher, Elves are so much more agile, and so on. You really have to work to try and overcome their weaknesses. Whiles Elves are much weaker, they are hard to knock down in the first place due to their agility and skills. They can easily dance around you and play their team off the line to reduce the number of their players you can knock down. Dwarves are slow and don't score much but they will knock the crap out of you and you won't put them down because they are just so tough. They will try and stay right up in your face to keep you from moving around.

Are you and your brother playing a campaign where your team will expand and improve or was this just a one off game?
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #67 on: December 28, 2012, 07:49:41 PM »
Thanks guys  :mellow:.

So far this was just a test game but I am hoping to get a few people interested and start a league. I would really like 6 to start. Not too big but some variety. I am thinking to do a game night soon with some friends and get them to play with me and my brother helping them along.

How long does a game normally take once you are pretty solid on the rules? Took us a couple of hours to do this one but we were always looking stuff up and getting distracted.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #68 on: December 28, 2012, 08:40:41 PM »
Thanks guys  :mellow:.

So far this was just a test game but I am hoping to get a few people interested and start a league. I would really like 6 to start. Not too big but some variety. I am thinking to do a game night soon with some friends and get them to play with me and my brother helping them along.

How long does a game normally take once you are pretty solid on the rules? Took us a couple of hours to do this one but we were always looking stuff up and getting distracted.

It usually takes me and my buddy who are really good at the game about 45 minutes to play a full game. Longer if we are playing strategy heavy teams like elves.

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #69 on: December 28, 2012, 10:17:18 PM »
You can definitely get a couple games finished in one night after you get to know the game well, maybe even three if you've got three to four hours. That works out well for a league.
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #70 on: December 28, 2012, 10:28:34 PM »
You can definitely get a couple games finished in one night after you get to know the game well, maybe even three if you've got three to four hours. That works out well for a league.

And for an evening of Blood Bowl with a friend when you both have multiple teams!

Offline arjunstc

• Members
« Reply #71 on: December 30, 2012, 03:46:14 AM »
Six players is a good size, but I recommend getting more pitches if you plan to run a league.

My friends and I did one years ago - lots of fun.

http://nutbowl.blogspot.sg/

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #72 on: December 30, 2012, 11:35:03 AM »
Ai, I think my brother plans to make a snowy pitch for his Norse and then I have an old warhammer board that I can make a reasonably fast one out of I reckon.

If I do get a league going we will probably start off at one game a night to make sure it is relaxed and we can get over rules issues.

Great blog arjunstc!

I actually have stuff to be able to make an orc and elf team so I am hoping that will encourage people to join up as they won't have any outlay!

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
  • A mind without purpose walks in dark places
    • marcwalpole
Re: Blood Bowl ... fill me in.
« Reply #73 on: January 14, 2013, 04:57:30 PM »
I would get the video game.  Same game without all the modeling struggles!

I agree.  I have the xbox game its pretty good.
Stare into the Abyss and the Abyss stares back.

Visit my 40k blog http://2plusdispel.blogspot.com/ updated four or more times a month and offers painting advice and gaming advice for warhammer 40,000

Offline harv

• Members
  • success from discipline, productivity from panic
« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2013, 05:22:30 PM »
I have the 3rd Ed. Got it in 1994 and played it non stop with a friend for about 5-6 years before losing contact with him. Since then it's been sitting in a cupboard. I keep meaning to bring it out, strip all my teams and paint them again and build a custom pitch. I would be motivated to do this if I could find someone (even one person) who wanted to play it as much as I do, sadly none of my new friends are interested.

On a side note they do like the Fantasy Flight card game Blood Bowl: Team Manager. Not sure if anyone has played it but it's also great fun.

My "house rule" for AoS is "we're not playing that shit in my house!"