home

Author Topic: AoS: Our Knights and Captains!?  (Read 7646 times)

Offline arselus

• Members
AoS: Our Knights and Captains!?
« on: October 29, 2016, 03:51:13 PM »
I'm a bit disappointed that GW got rid of our knights and that there is no captasus profile in the empire army.

Have you guys heard anything on whether or not they might return?

Offline Apprentice of Meikle

• Members
Re: AoS: Our Knights and Captains!?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 05:32:44 PM »
Indeed you are right arselus, it is a sincere pity that Games Workshop saw fit to rid the Freeguilds and The Empire of its gallant Knightly Orders and valorous Captains miniatures.

I can’t say that I’ve caught wind of any rumour of their return to either the online or any bricks and mortar stores, so all I can advise is to either get creative and convert some from the kit available or shop about on ebay.

Either way if you hear any different please be sure let us all know, as the armies of Man are somewhat bleaker with their absence.  :unsure:

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2016, 06:44:55 PM »
no news yet.. still waiting on a battletome for freeguild myself, hopefully with a few new things, but not even a rumor that it is on the horizon anytime soon
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 11:41:39 AM »
Despite owning many, many of those plastic knights for my Empire armies, I'm not a fan of the kits, compared to the old metals.  But mainly because the horse miniature was as old as Altdorf itself.

It's a shame at the moment, the Freeguild's cavalry option is limited to Demigryphs, unless it's a General.  But hopefully down the line, this means we will get new, decent looking knightly orders again.   

There's nothing in the rumour mills regarding humans, rumours are pretty thin on the ground for AoS in general.  Tzeentch Arcanites looks likely to be soon, as well as plenty of rumours for Steamhead Duardin.   Everything else is probably speculation based on snippets of info here and there in the campaign books.

Offline The Peacemaker

• Members
  • Baron Karl von Balombine of Wissenland
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 06:17:03 AM »
how did they get rid of them? I thought the old warscrolls never go away?
For Wissenland and the Countess!!!

My Painting Blog
My Entire Gallery

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 08:07:39 AM »

That's true, but if you take it from the new perspective only then they are sort of not viable in the new context

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 02:25:12 PM »

The old warscrolls aren't going away, but the models are, and that probably means they no longer have knights in the fluff.   There's been nothing in the rumour pipeline regarding the Free Peoples any time soon

Offline The Peacemaker

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 10:14:52 PM »

The old warscrolls aren't going away, but the models are, and that probably means they no longer have knights in the fluff.   There's been nothing in the rumour pipeline regarding the Free Peoples any time soon

...people actually like the fluff? Its the Emperor unifying earth before the Great Crusade in 40k but told in a mythology of the gods kinda way. ...I never figured people would be into that.

My Painting Blog
My Entire Gallery

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2016, 10:48:05 PM »
I am reading the fluff, and I don't see it as a Great Crusade at all.  I think that's a common criticism I've seen from people who've skimmed it, or read someone else's opinion, rather than followed the Realmgate Wars, which is is it's often incorrectly called 4k.

I think a valid criticism though is that's it lacking depth at the moment, it's very focussed on battles, and not on what the realms are like to be in.

Fortunately, Josh Reynolds says that this is being addressed in some of his forthcoming AoS novels

• Members
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2016, 10:58:50 PM »
I think it is already adressed in the current novels and I haven't read a lot of them yet!

Should surely get your hands on Gates of Azyr now that it's free this week in Black Library (digital one)

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2016, 11:38:28 PM »
Get it because it's free, but it's the weakest book of AoS. IMHO.   I'm up to book 6 in the RGW, and I like the Hallowed Knights story arc, so that's the Stormhost I've gone for.

There have been mentions of scattered bands of humans, but barely savages,
There hasn't been much mention of what it's like to live in cities, to be rich or poor, what it's like to grow food, festivals, a days work, have families, what a pub in Azyrheim is like.

Offline The Peacemaker

• Members
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2016, 05:23:11 AM »
I am reading the fluff, and I don't see it as a Great Crusade at all.  I think that's a common criticism I've seen from people who've skimmed it, or read someone else's opinion, rather than followed the Realmgate Wars, which is is it's often incorrectly called 4k.

I think a valid criticism though is that's it lacking depth at the moment, it's very focussed on battles, and not on what the realms are like to be in.

Fortunately, Josh Reynolds says that this is being addressed in some of his forthcoming AoS novels

Well the great crusade happens after the events in Age of Sigmar.
Age of Sigmar is what happens on Earth while it is engulfed in a warp storm. The 40k fluff is fairly short and vague on this. Just that Earth was cut off because of a warp storm surrounding it. The Emperor unified the planet with his ThunderWarriors. And Mars sent out adeptus mechanicus forge world colonies(or something? its been a while since I read that).

I don't mind that they wrote it in the high fantasy style. ....I mean there is only so much scifi you can handle. And if they wrote it in the sci-fi genre it would probably just be alot like the Horus heresy books.
And its basically a demon world engulfed in the warp. Which could be difficult or boring to describe using sci fi. Just easier to use the fantasy trope.

I actually became much more interested in the AoS story after I found out it was the Emperor unifying Terra.

My Painting Blog
My Entire Gallery

Offline Iyen

• Members
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2017, 05:59:55 PM »

Well the great crusade happens after the events in Age of Sigmar.
Age of Sigmar is what happens on Earth while it is engulfed in a warp storm. The 40k fluff is fairly short and vague on this. Just that Earth was cut off because of a warp storm surrounding it. The Emperor unified the planet with his ThunderWarriors. And Mars sent out adeptus mechanicus forge world colonies(or something? its been a while since I read that).

I don't mind that they wrote it in the high fantasy style. ....I mean there is only so much scifi you can handle. And if they wrote it in the sci-fi genre it would probably just be alot like the Horus heresy books.
And its basically a demon world engulfed in the warp. Which could be difficult or boring to describe using sci fi. Just easier to use the fantasy trope.

I actually became much more interested in the AoS story after I found out it was the Emperor unifying Terra.

I thought the same as well (AOS being warhammer 4k), till they kept continuing the story with Gork and Mork becoming one, Horned rat being in the Chaos Pantheon etc. if they declare AOS and 40k to be in different universes I wouldn't mind (and IMO I may prefer it more).

Regarding knights maybe Games Workshop is planning on making a free guild start collecting box with only knights in it? and that's why they were removed just like the Lizardmen?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 06:17:53 PM by Iyen »

Offline Baron von Klatz

• Members
  • warhammer> All other works of mankind
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2017, 10:57:33 AM »
till they kept continuing the story with Gork and Mork becoming one, Horned rat being in the Chaos Pantheon etc.

Don't forget Slaanesh being captured and humans living alongside elves, both high and dark. :-P
Regarding knights maybe Games Workshop is planning on making a free guild start collecting box with only knights in it? and that's why they were removed just like the Lizardmen?

I'd love a all knight box, especially since the Azyrheim Lancehost is a thing. :-D

Though more than likely GW want to redesign the human knights. With how the fluff has them spread over the realms they certainly don't lack for new mounts. Maybe the demigryph will become "light cavalry". :-D

"No battle is ever meaningless for all life is merely death post-poned"
-elector count of the Empire.

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2017, 11:39:17 AM »
If there is ever another Knights kit, I hope it lives up to the concept art

I found a load posted on Tumblr a while back.  Not sure if it should have been there, so I'll just repost this one

Offline Baron von Klatz

• Members
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2017, 03:29:24 AM »
Oh yeah, I remember having a link to those concepts but it got shutdown for some reason. :icon_neutral:

With how the Stormcast Vanguard like wearing pelts over their armor maybe some Freeguild knights will follow that trend. :-D

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2017, 08:21:50 AM »
I don't know, after that whole PETA thing a couple of months back, they might cut down on fur wearers

Offline Baron von Klatz

• Members
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2017, 09:26:38 AM »
Ha, I doubt it. That's just free publicity for GW. :biggriin:

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2017, 07:58:19 PM »
If there is ever another Knights kit, I hope it lives up to the concept art

I found a load posted on Tumblr a while back.  Not sure if it should have been there, so I'll just repost this one

Can you please post a link, if there is more? I love it!

Offline Baron von Klatz

• Members
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2017, 11:12:43 AM »
Oh, you should've seen the concept art for a pistolier using a crossbow with a winch system attached to the horse. That was a thing of beauty, amongst the dozens of other clever designs. :-D

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2017, 10:34:49 AM »
Oh, you should've seen the concept art for a pistolier using a crossbow with a winch system attached to the horse. That was a thing of beauty, amongst the dozens of other clever designs. :-D

Then it's no pistolier. But don't tell me what I should have seen .. just show me already!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2017, 12:52:56 PM »
Why does this sound like pre 40K to me?

I'm so not interested in the connecting of fantasy fluff to 40K.  The idea that it is even close puts me off to the W:AoS storyline, and I don't even know much about it.  It was much nicer when WFB and 40K were vague at best in connecting somewhere in between.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2017, 12:57:04 PM »
I thought the same as well (AOS being warhammer 4k), till they kept continuing the story with Gork and Mork becoming one, Horned rat being in the Chaos Pantheon etc. if they declare AOS and 40k to be in different universes I wouldn't mind (and IMO I may prefer it more).

:icon_eek:  W:AoS fluff has Gork and Mork becoming one, really?

The drifting of skaven from chaos and back isn't surprising, but I do like it when they are their own faction.

Oh, right ... knights and captains says the title ... I've seen nothing new on knight models for the Free Peoples, but glad I still have the knights that I do to make more units for future WFB plans!
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Dietrich von Brandt

• Members
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2017, 05:02:15 PM »
:icon_eek:  W:AoS fluff has Gork and Mork becoming one, really?

Initially, yes. Sigmar wound up splitting them into two again after they launched a new Great Waaagh! right as Nagash betrayed him and Chaos was invading. At the moment it's just regular old Gork and Mork.

It's interesting to see the various deities come and go; Alarielle "dying" didn't come as a huge surprise, although she'll probably return before long.

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2017, 07:43:40 PM »
In which book did Gorkamorka get split up?

And in which did Alarielle die?

And where in the God-King's name did AoS become The Emperor unifying Terra?   Because that's a load of bollocks.