home

Author Topic: first empire list  (Read 1502 times)

Offline grandmasterfred

• Members
first empire list
« on: April 27, 2009, 04:20:19 PM »
archlector,dawn armor,holy relic,great weapon
captain,handgun,plate armor,imperial banner
battle wizard,lv2,aldreds casket of sorrcery
captain,barded warhorse,plate armor,shield lance,hand gun,ring of volans

2x 20 halberdiers,shields,command
2x 10 hand gunners,mrksmn,lng rifle
20 swordsman,cmnd
5knights,cmnd
5knights,cmnd
5 pistoliers/cmnd
2x cannon

ill be playing against a lot of elves but i want to keep it balanced as possible.

Iam also concerned with my magic wondering if i should get more mb dropping the arch lector for a wizard lord

Offline Dihenydd

• Members
  • Back on Hiatus
Re: first empire list
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 06:15:59 PM »
Hey and welcome.  Have a Pint on Midaski's Tab!   :::cheers:::

Do you have a point total for this army?  I tried to do in my head but....

A couple of things I might tweak.  First off, is this a list of your available models or do you have more?  Or is this a future wishlist of models?

Ok, some specifics that might help

your two knight units will not need full command, they are not terribly strong so are in danger of giving points away for the standards.  For such small units, either musician OR champ is suffienct.  I lean towards musician, but that's just a choice.

Same with pistoliers except I would have champ and musician, if you need to drop one, drop the champ however.

Use these points to up the infantry blocks to 25 if possible and think about adding some close combat detachments, even though lots of oppoonents will have better fighting blocks of elites etc, it really is our only way of making those blocks worthwhile.  Consider using the 3x3 sized CC detachments.  There's plenty of articles/threads discussing why.

If you want guns on your captains, I think pistols (they can still take pistols right?) might work better.  Handguns are move or fire so you will rarely get to use them if they're mounted (moving with knights?).

Ring of volans is fun, but Doomfire is much more reliable.  sneak in a dispell scroll if possible (see next comment)

Magic is OK.  You will have trouble with H.Elves but I find Magic is usually a non-issue with HE after turn 3.  You have 5 DD and possibly a scroll.  That should take the sting off the worst of the magic.  Offensively you have 2 prayers, 2 wizard, 1 doomfire and 1 possible casket.  Thats not bad.  I'd stay away from the Wiz lord as you lose too many benefits of the AL. 

Overall, not a bad list for a first timer!  Take a look at many of the other lists in the parade ground, visit the war-room for other advice and thanks for being a part of the W-E community!
Sometimes the "Old Ones" just need to leave.....

Offline smashthedean

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 08:53:19 PM »
You do have a good balance of units, but your list definitely needs some tuning. The biggest problem you have here is that you aren't making use of detachments. They are our greatest tactical advantage and you would be wise to use them. From some rough math it looks like your list is aiming to be 2000 pts. The standard that most people use is 2250, so I would add in another 250 points. Here's my breakdown of your units and their equipment, along with my recommendations:

archlector,dawn armor,holy relic,great weapon
A 4+ rerollable armor save, even combined with a 4+ ward, isn't the best defense. I think that the best option for this guy would be the Armor of Meteoric Iron replacing the Dawn Armor and then the addition of the Van Horstmann's Speculum. This item is great for an AL and can dish out some serious hurt in challenges.

captain,handgun,plate armor,imperial banner

There is absolutely no reason this guy should have a handgun. Handguns are move or fire so in order to use it, his unit would have to stay stationary. He's also suffering from not enough protection with only a 4+ armor save. Mount this guy on a barded warhorse to at least bring that up to a 2+. I do love the Imperial Banner though, good choice :)

battle wizard,lv2,aldreds casket of sorrcery

This isn't a very effective magic item to use on your Wizard. I would give this guy either a couple of dispel scrolls or a Rod of Power (I'd recommend the scrolls, but both are good)

captain,barded warhorse,plate armor,shield lance,hand gun,ring of volans

This guy doesn't do much for you other than be kind of a badass and add some fightyness to a unit. I'd bring in some more magic by dropping this guy. Given your current setup, I think a second Wizard would be more beneficial than a Priest, but Priests are great too (especially when teamed with Greatswords). If you gave your other Wiz two scrolls, give this guy the Rod of Power and a Ring of Volans if you have 20 extra points laying around.

2x 20 halberdiers,shields,command
20 swordsman,cmnd

Halberdiers are not an ideal choice for your main blocks. If you really like the models, they work decently as detachments, but I would stick to Swordsmen for your blocks. I would up the unit count to 23-25, depending on where you intend to put your characters, but your goal should be US 25 at least once you drop them in there.

2x 10 hand gunners,mrksmn,lng rifle

These guys are okay. The long rifle is fun and can occasionally be worth it, but I generally find it to be a waste of points. If you still want two shooting units, you might drop the long rifles and make one of them crossbowmen for a bit of variety and flexibility with thier longer range. When it comes time to drop units to trim points though, these guys would be first on my chopping block.

5knights,cmnd
5knights,cmnd

Empire Knights don't need full command. The Champion accomplishes nothing at all except adding a signle S5 attack on the charge and the Standard Bearer brings +1 combat rez, your knights will generally not be charging things where they will need this. The best use of Empire Knights is either to kill softy support units that are giving you a hard time, to flank charge enemy units, or to be generally annoying and get in the way of enemy units. The banner doesn't really help at any of these tasks and it will end up costing you 100 VP in the event of the Knights losing a combat. The way to run Empire Knights is as "Vanilla Knights"; basically 5 Knights with a musican. Drop those banners and champs and you'll be good.

5 pistoliers/cmnd

Pistoliers are great. I would definitely pick up a repeater pistol for your champ. It will give him 4 shots instead of 2 for only 10 more points. I'd also consider increasing the unit size to 6 for some extra blastyness.

2x cannon
Of course.

With that extra 250 points you should be playing with, I'd add in some detachments to the blocks, preferably 9 man units of Swordsmen or Halberdiers if you're crazy about them for some reason and also 5 man detachments of Archers. If your pals insist on running 2000 pt games, I'd ditch the Hangunners for detachments. Check out the detachment tacticas here for some great tips of using detachments effectively and also read up on all of the War Room articles here if you haven't yet. Best of luck to you!

Offline grandmasterfred

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 05:31:57 PM »
wizardlord,holyrelic,wizardstaff
captain,pistol,plate,shield,banner,bardedwarhorse, imperialbanner
warriorpriest,dawnarmor,greatweapon
battlewizard,2 dispellscroll

2x 20 spearscmnd,shields,10handgun,10free company
20 swords,cmnd
5knights ,preceptor
2x great cannon,