home

Author Topic: Question: Mounted chars on 40mm bases in infantry units.  (Read 2262 times)

Offline Aaraden

• Members
Question: Mounted chars on 40mm bases in infantry units.
« on: September 23, 2004, 08:08:05 PM »
Hello,

Sorry if this has already been covered, but I've read the tactica in the War Room and through several threads that spoke of it, and haven't found it discussed.

I'm intruiged by TVI's article on mounted chars in infantry troops and want to try it out, and I like the modelling possibilities of putting mounted chars on 40mm bases.  My question is, a 40mm base takes up 4 infantry spots in the first two ranks of the unit.  Does this affect how you count ranks?  Since the mounted character displaces 3 models, do you need three more models on an additional rank to count em' up, or do you just ignore this?

Thanks,

Aaraden
- Paul

Offline Gyro LC

• Members
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2004, 09:10:42 PM »
One of my friends does this with his orcs.  He has a lord on foot on a large base that takes up four spots.  For ranks he counts it as being one normal sized model and counts the number of models he has to determine ranks (ie- 8 models total needed for +1 rank bonus assuming 4-wide.) He willingly gives up the attack from the orc that should be in the front because, frankly, it looks damn cool.

I don't think there's an official way to do this.  Just figure out a fair way and stick to it.  Also, tell your opponent what the deal is.
All the Dude ever wanted was his rug back.

Offline skinomyteeth

• Members
Re: Question: Mounted chars on 40mm bases in infantry units.
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2004, 10:45:56 PM »
Quote from: Aaraden
I like the modelling possibilities of putting mounted chars on 40mm bases.  My question is, a 40mm base takes up 4 infantry spots in the first two ranks of the unit.  Does this affect how you count ranks?  Since the mounted character displaces 3 models, do you need three more models on an additional rank to count em' up, or do you just ignore this?

Here, here. I wondered the exact same thing when I read that article. Would love for somebody to enlighten me too.

Can a mounted figure be placed on a 20 by 40mm base (cut down from from a 20 by 80mm base)?

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2004, 11:32:49 AM »
Technically, a mounted character must always be placed on a 25 by 50 mm cavalry base, and takes the space of two infantry models. See the discussion on characters joining units in the back of chronicles/annual 2004 (also on the GW website).

Using any other kind of base requires the consent of your opponent, and may cause problems at tournaments.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline xnet445

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2004, 02:50:17 PM »
IIRC, TVI bases his mounted characters on a 40x40 base that also holds 2 infantry models. He does this for alignment purposes, and for WYSIWYG i.e. to show all the models he has "paid" for.

I really like this approach and will use it when I get around to modelling new characters (which I am resisting as I have LOTS of painting to do before I have a full-color army as it is  :oops: )
Quote from: sawgunner101
(these rumors are) like getting a free candy bar, but only if you let somebody kick you in the nuts first.
[/quote

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2004, 03:00:57 PM »
Trouble with that is, what happens if the character leaves the unit?

You get problems, that's what.
If I wanted to.

Offline sandman

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2004, 03:22:53 PM »
I'm just reading through the Q&A in the back of Chronicles 2004.  It does not talk about the size of the base at all.  It just says that the base gives the same number of rank and file models as it fills.  A monster base provides four spaces and counts as four models, two in the front and two in the second.

I have mounted a couple of horses on 20 x 40mm bases that I made by gluing two infantry bases together on a piece of plasticene.  this doesn't change anything other than my ability to rank them up cleanly.  I am a bit anal sometimes.  I like TVI's method better and may switch to that, minus the additional infantry, since, as Rufus pointed out, what happens when you leave the unit.

The way I read this, though, you get "free" ranks by having a bigger base.  It may not be logical but we all know what lays down that path.  I guess it is just one more case of the special effects that being a hero can have.
L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2004, 03:29:39 PM »
Quote from: sandman
I'm just reading through the Q&A in the back of Chronicles 2004.  It does not talk about the size of the base at all.

True. But there is also an official base size chart (downloadable on the GW website, but I can't get the link right now). The chart specifies what size bases everything has to be on - cavalry heroes go on cavalry bases.

Now, I wouldn't especially mind someone breaking the rules (provided it wasn't to gain some advantage), but it's important to realise that it could cause problems.
If I wanted to.

Offline sandman

• Members
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2004, 03:40:04 PM »
Good point, good point.  I guess I will just keep those models for my friendly games.
L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace

Offline Albrecht von Hinkel

• Members
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2004, 03:43:55 PM »
When I wanted to use 40x40mm I contacted the ones in charge of running the tournament to make sure it was OK.

Offline Aaraden

• Members
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2004, 04:17:24 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys.  I'm glad to see I'm not just some dummy that missed this in the rules  :-D

IIRC, TVI bases his mounted characters on a 40x40 base that also holds 2 infantry models. He does this for alignment purposes, and for WYSIWYG i.e. to show all the models he has "paid" for.

I'd like to see pictures of that.  For modelling purposes this sounds great.  Although it seems like it may be easier to make up a 20x40 base.
- Paul

Offline Light Wizard Acolyte

• Members
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2004, 04:23:10 PM »
You can see TVI's army here:

http://gt.us.games-workshop.com/Results_Coverage/Charlotte/Timothy_Walker_Army/armygallery.htm

Though, I'm not sure if the technique is apparent in the pictures.

Offline Aaraden

• Members
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2004, 08:15:14 PM »
Yes, I've seen his army. (It's absolutely stunning TVI! :shock: )  I just haven't seen a picture that shows the two infantry models on the same 40x40 base the mounted character is on.
- Paul

Offline The Village Idiot

• Members
  • Empire GT Winner
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2004, 12:39:17 AM »
Here you go;

When the character leaves the unit I replace him with a standard 25x50mm based figure and place two foot figures back into the unit. Yes the mounted character only takes-up two ranks on the base, and the other two spots are men on foot that I have paid for. I have not had anyone have any difficulty/problems with my character's bases.

I originally went with the 40mm bases simply so I could model little dioramas like my casualty figures that I could not accomplich on the standard 20mm square bases.

The Village Idiot
Quickly everyone, chant the Canticle of the Battalion Concept. Maybe we can convert him!
-Rufus Sparkfire, Imperial Scrivener

Offline Aaraden

• Members
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2004, 04:42:42 AM »
Thanks!
- Paul