home

Author Topic: The Dwarf's March To War  (Read 2665 times)

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
The Dwarf's March To War
« on: June 12, 2019, 11:21:20 PM »
I've got an Age of Sigmar game coming up, and thought I'd stop in here and see if anyone had any thoughts or suggestions for my army list. I'm playing Dwarves, first time playing them in AoS. Usually I'm using my Stormcast. It's going to be a 4 player Triumph and Treachery game. Tomb Kings, Chaos of some sort, and the fourth is unknown but possibly ogres of destruction.

Here's my list;

Warden King
- Ancestral pickaxe
- Grudgebearer trait

Runelord

Cogsmith
- Ally.

Battleline
10 Longbeards with greataxes and shields.

10 Warriors with hand weapon/shield and runic banner.

10 Ironbreakers

Other

10 Thunderers with icon.

10 Irondrakes

10 Hammerers

10 Miners

Allied army

Cannon

Organ Gun

So that's the army. 1500 pts almost exact, and gives me (I feel) a good mix of range and shieldwall infantry. My general game plan is to slowly move up the field and let the others fight each other. There's a significant chance two of the other players are going to gang up on the third for various reasons. I hope to take advantage of that chaos to size objectives and hold them with my brave Dawi.

So what do you fine folks think? Any suggestions? Any experience with Triumph and Treachery games you'd like to share?

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
Re: The Dwarf's March To War
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 11:27:55 AM »
I can't really comment on the army composition as I know to little of Dwarves, though only units of 10 feels maybe a bit underpowered?

As for the 4 player game.. keep your forces together as much as you can, if 2 opponents decide to take advantage of your split army you will be destroyed in no time.
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 03:56:56 PM »
That's what I suspected, on all counts. I wanted to bulk my units (Especially ironbreakers) but alas, most of my dwarf units are packed away. I'm kind of counting of my opponents to thin each other out a bit before I need to get in there.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2019, 05:45:54 PM »
So the T&T was kind of crazy, and while fun it didn't really amount to much. Things started to go off the rails when we got together and two guys announced it was going to be 2000 pts, not 1500, which was awkward for me and the third guy because we'd come from several hours away and only packed certain stuff. So to set the scene we have me with my Duardin, Dude 1 with tomb kings, Dude 2 with Beastclaw Raiders and Dude 3 with Slanesh. Two of my buddies (Dude 1&2) had never played Age of Sigmar before, and so had made some pretty fun but not great armies using legacy warscrolls. Which is why it was somewhat of a downer when Dude 3 told us he'd brought his highly competitive tournament army that had been min maxed as much as he could and said that he always played to win. I pointed out this was more or less a bachelor party and that most of us were already drunk, so he was in for some frustrating times.

Clearly it was foreshadowing, because in six hours we did two turns and we did in fact gang up on Dude 3 enough to force him into a draw with the ogre player. Something he was quietly furious about. My dwarfs came dead last, although I only lost 5 people, because as it turns out it's real hard to actually accomplish any of your objectives in just two turns. My one claim to fame is just utterly wasting a Keeper of Secrets with some massed cannon fire.

On the positive side the two guys new to AoS quite liked it! Part of what slowed us down what them having to keep checking war scrolls, and the fact we kept breaking out into discussions about what parts of AoS were just Fantasy rules with different names, and what parts were like 40k.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2019, 10:43:48 AM »
Great story. Loved that you guys ganged up on Dude 3. Totally deserved!
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2019, 11:00:39 AM »
Interesting.  And only 2 turns in 6 hours? Yet ya still managed to gang up on a army maxer.  Cheers!
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2019, 01:05:22 PM »
Imagine that reaction from dwarfs?
Unheard of .....
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2019, 08:44:42 PM »
In Triumph and Treachery you have to pick an 'enemy' for each phase, and that enemy is the only one you can attack. Everyone picked Dude 3 as their enemy for every phase and fired everything at him. Our little alliance was starting to break down by the end of turn 2 there, and it could have gone really differently if we had another turn, but I like to think we made Sigmar proud with how we handled the min maxing tournament man at our little casual shindig.

We spent a lot of time mostly just discussing Age of Sigmar and the Old World. Dude 3 had never played old fantasy before, were as it was mostly what the rest of us played. So we went on a huge number of tangents.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2019, 06:27:25 PM »
Dude 3 has no idea what he is missing.  Well, maybe after ya told him. :icon_wink:

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2019, 03:11:51 AM »
I'll be honest GP. We waxed on nostalgically about the Old World A LOT, and he didn't seem even slightly interested.

The rest of however were like a bunch of longbeards over a pint sharing old stories of glorious times.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2019, 10:35:17 AM »
Sometimes it is those who are most interested in proving their prowess on the game table that are the least interested in in history and fluff.

There is something to be said for those who enjoy stories and nostalgia, sharing memories and common social fun. :icon_cool: :::cheers:::

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2019, 02:12:44 PM »
Word to that GP!  :::cheers::: :::cheers:::