home

Author Topic: AoS Rules Questions  (Read 36702 times)

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
Re: AoS Rules Questions
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2015, 09:56:27 PM »
Note that enemy units do not have to be in combat with the unit containing the Netters to suffer the malus. It still works in combat with another unit, as long as a Netter is within 2".
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2015, 10:22:51 PM »
Best silly special rule I've come across, is Skaven Screaming Bell. If on 2 dice, the result is 13, you win the game.  No modifiers can be applied.  The main rules also specify, that dice are D6  unless the rules says D3

Sent from my thingamajig via wadyamacallit

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2015, 10:30:33 PM »
Not so much an Improbable as an Impossible Victory. To be fair, they do say "against all probability and reason" and go on to add that you " are hereafter branded a cheat." It is more tongue in cheese than a real rule.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2015, 10:40:26 PM »
Exactly.  There are a lot of fun and silly rules in the Warscrolls.

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2015, 10:46:06 PM »
WoC.

Sigvald.  When rolling an armour save reroll if you ( the player) are looking into a little, but if you roll a 1, you are transfixed

Wulfric.  Declare a challenge, you can insult you opponent as much as you dare, if they change their expression in any way, that is an acceptance.

Cockatrice. Stare at your opponent if they blink first plus 1 on the roll to turn a model to stone. 

« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 11:52:05 PM by Oxycutor »

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2015, 11:02:23 PM »
Best silly special rule I've come across, is Skaven Screaming Bell. If on 2 dice, the result is 13, you win the game.

Local guy came up with the idea of pairing that up with Kairos' ability to change the die roll to any number you want for the instant win on turn one.

Offline wilsonthenarc

• Members
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2015, 11:34:02 PM »
AoS isn't really a "game" in the way Warhammer is. It is a game in the sense it is fun and diverting, but it doesn't matter who wins. It's not a game about winning and losing, it is a game about having fun.
Ultimately, trying to make AoS work as anything other than a fun entertainment - a game, frankly, for people unlike the majority of people on this forum - is doomed to failure.

I like fun.
But I still like tactics. I like positioning and moving and outsmarting people.

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2015, 11:51:30 PM »
Best silly special rule I've come across, is Skaven Screaming Bell. If on 2 dice, the result is 13, you win the game.

Local guy came up with the idea of pairing that up with Kairos' ability to change the die roll to any number you want for the instant win on turn one.

Screaming Bell specifically says roll can't be modified, and if you get 13, you're cheating 😂

Offline Dosiere

• Members
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2015, 02:39:07 AM »
Am I reading this right that a unit can shoot if it's in close combat?  Also for sure a unit can shoot at an enemy that's in close combat?

If all true, shooting is freak in powerful.

Offline knightofthelance

• Members
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2015, 02:44:54 AM »
Am I reading this right that a unit can shoot if it's in close combat?  Also for sure a unit can shoot at an enemy that's in close combat?

If all true, shooting is freak in powerful.

I've read noting to indicate otherwise. Not that is matters. AoS is only for fun, and it makes no difference to the fun either way. We played a couple times today. It's exactly what it seems to be, and I mean that for the positive and the negative.

Offline Pinn

• Members
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2015, 03:50:33 AM »
I'm sure this has been brought up at some point. I read the rules pdf and the army battlescroll pdf. I don't see anything about how an army is created. They got rid of points. How the heck do you come up with an army, and match it against your opponent's (in terms of a points type of balance)?

Offline knightofthelance

• Members
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2015, 03:51:50 AM »
I'm sure this has been brought up at some point. I read the rules pdf and the army battlescroll pdf. I don't see anything about how an army is created. They got rid of points. How the heck do you come up with an army, and match it against your opponent's (in terms of a points type of balance)?

You just take what you want, and try to be evenish about it. And then have fun playing with your toys.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2015, 04:11:51 AM »
I've read secondhand that some lower level GW people (sales reps, etc.) are recommending things like setting a limit on the number of battlescrolls and wounds.

My guess is that an increasing number of future scenarios and campaigns will lay out specific restrictions along those lines. But that's just a guess, or at least hopeful (for GW's sake) wishing. Even without that, I do think that reasonable people can work together and throw down a fun game as a cooperative effort.

Offline knightofthelance

• Members
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2015, 04:22:34 AM »
I played a couple games today, and I think it's going to be great to play with the kids ( who desperately want to play warhammer but aren't quite ready yet).

I can let them pick the "cool things" and they won't even be able to say I'm letting them cheat. And movement is going to be much easier for them to handle.

Offline Pinn

• Members
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2015, 04:23:32 AM »

You just take what you want, and try to be evenish about it. And then have fun playing with your toys.
Nice. So I'll take one of my models in my hand, my friend will take his in his hand, and we'll mash them together and go "pshkew tang bkow!!" and whichever model's glue job is better wins.

I think my friends and I will come up with some kind of system, but I'm sincerely hoping that GW does it.

Offline knightofthelance

• Members
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2015, 04:25:36 AM »

Nice. So I'll take one of my models in my hand, my friend will take his in his hand, and we'll mash them together and go "pshkew tang bkow!!" and whichever model's glue job is better wins.

I think my friends and I will come up with some kind of system, but I'm sincerely hoping that GW does it.

Well, you should roll some dice as the same time, but you've pretty much got it.

Offline shavixmir

• Members
  • Tum podem extulit horridulum
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2015, 04:47:19 AM »
ok.

also, fanatics can be any size.

d6 attacks, 4/3, -2 rend and d3 wounds.

yeh, units of 15 fanatics will basically kill any unit if you're skirmishing.
Yes. But... you can set them up on their own (they have no saves, so any person with any amount of shooting will target them first).
Or you can hide them in a unit, which means you have to take 2 units (just to keep the fanatics safe).

Night goblins are not brave (4). So, if the unit takes a couple of wounds, it's going to start leaking deserters.
So, the unit has to be big (you can then also take shields to give you a 5+ save).
The larger the unit, the more models you have.
The chances of giving your opponent a sudden death option gets higher.

So, your opponent gets to choose one of your wizards to assassinate.
That wizard can't hide in a unit...
Everything of value is vulnerable

Offline Baron von Klatz

• Members
  • warhammer> All other works of mankind
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2015, 05:06:18 AM »
Very good points, Shavixmir,  on the faults of those units but you made a small mistake. In sudden death the overwhelming player chooses the hero/unit for you to kill, not the player who initiates sudden death.

That's why I'd take the hold ground objective. I like the idea of my valiant spearmen and handgunners making a last stand against a enemy horde.
"No battle is ever meaningless for all life is merely death post-poned"
-elector count of the Empire.

Offline shavixmir

• Members
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2015, 05:13:09 AM »
I've read secondhand that some lower level GW people (sales reps, etc.) are recommending things like setting a limit on the number of battlescrolls and wounds.

My guess is that an increasing number of future scenarios and campaigns will lay out specific restrictions along those lines. But that's just a guess, or at least hopeful (for GW's sake) wishing. Even without that, I do think that reasonable people can work together and throw down a fun game as a cooperative effort.

If I'm reading it correctly, heroes are stand alone and can't be in units.
If this is correct, then you really don't want your opponent having the option of winning the game by assassinating one of them (sudden death).
So, you're going to try to keep your model count low.
However, many units have bonus abilities if they're larger. For example: 10 goblins suck. 30 goblins are good (especially when taking the battle shock into consideration - two units shooting at the goblins and then charging them will wreck havoc).

I haven't played yet, but I presume that's where the game balance is situated.

As for the rest... well, To hit, to wound & to save is the same.
Movement is simplified (basically 360 degree charge arc).
What I've seen so far, the shooting units aren't very good at close combat, so you'll shoot an opponent with one unit and charge them with another.
Nothing wrong with that.

Spells don't seem over-powered.
Monsters have a lot of wounds, but get weaker the more they're hurt. That's actually quite a cool concept.

I think the greatest problem the game has are those Sigmarines... bloody awful.

Offline shavixmir

• Members
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2015, 05:20:45 AM »
Talking about those sigmarines... they're not in the Empire PDF...
What the hell are they??? Do they even have rules?

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2015, 05:37:19 AM »
Their warscrolls are in the White Dwarf.

Offline Ambrose

• Members
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2015, 06:29:33 AM »

Yea, but these silly rules should be saved for something like April Fools, or a GW birthday bash where people just want to play for fun to celebrate.  Having in the actual rules, even as a joke, is a bit silly IMO.  Really takes the dark fantasy models, art and story down a huge notch.  I don't think it is what fantasy players want.  I think they want a game with tactics, a good story and fun to play.  Now the rules themselves seem to be pretty quick, which can be a good thing.  But that silliness in the rules just really makes in childish.

Looking forward to painting my army to completion now.

Ambrose
"Faith, Steel and Gunpowder"

Offline warfish70

• Members
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2015, 06:32:06 AM »
I think the greatest problem the game has are those Sigmarines... bloody awful.

I once tried a game of 40k against WHFB. The Brets were entirely obliterated by the space marines....sigmarines are imho nothing more than space marines in the fantasy battle...
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 06:34:15 AM by warfish70 »

Offline Jomppexx

• Members
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2015, 06:46:48 AM »

Yea, but these silly rules should be saved for something like April Fools, or a GW birthday bash where people just want to play for fun to celebrate.  Having in the actual rules, even as a joke, is a bit silly IMO.  Really takes the dark fantasy models, art and story down a huge notch.  I don't think it is what fantasy players want.  I think they want a game with tactics, a good story and fun to play.  Now the rules themselves seem to be pretty quick, which can be a good thing.  But that silliness in the rules just really makes in childish.

Looking forward to painting my army to completion now.

Ambrose
This. Exactly this.
I loved the game when it was a dark fantasy, but making the rules this silly just makes the game lighthearted and makes it seem like 'oh it's fine that chaos rules everyone tyrannically, we'll just ride imaginary horses'.
"Sigmar is like a barbaric, warrior Jesus, and only appeared to be a mortal man."
Highlights :
8/2014 : Grandmaster slew a Chaos Lord in a challenge

Offline Gunman006

• Members
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2015, 06:49:25 AM »
4. The attack section refers to "weapon options" available on your scroll. In the case Karl Franz, for example, he can fight with the Runefang or Ghal Maraz. Simple enough, one or the other. How about Deathclaw -- does he fight with both claw and beak, or it it an "option" to pick one or the other?

Yeah the model attacks with all melee weapons, for example if he has 4 different weapons he will attack with all of them simultaneously.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 06:55:23 AM by Gunman006 »
http://wargaming.no/

Government? You call this a government? It looks like something a deranged Snotling would come up with! - Bretonnian Ambassador to the Court of Emperor Karl Franz