home

Author Topic: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (update: out)  (Read 296241 times)

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (Wight Riders)
« Reply #1000 on: August 13, 2017, 03:04:18 PM »

Finished a rushed paint job on this unit of old Citadel wight/skeleton cavalry. They were a rare eBay win, and they were (are) in somewhat rough shape -- but the price was unexpectedly reasonable.

Offline carturello

• Members
  • Tilean soldier, at your service.
« Reply #1001 on: August 14, 2017, 12:11:25 PM »
I love follow your topic, It 'a mine of beautiful models to be admired

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #1002 on: August 21, 2017, 01:57:11 AM »
I love follow your topic, It 'a mine of beautiful models to be admired

Thank you! That's such an awesome thing to read!  :::cheers:::

I've been working on prepping both Hobbits and Fomorians/Fimir. Unthinkable, but I ran out of slotted cavalry bases -- so the goat riders are temporarily on hold until I can get some.

I've also made a marshy dead giant terrain piece, and finally based the giant snail (shown with & without rider.)

Offline Doc J

• Members
  • The Prince of Brooklyn Park
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (Hobbits, Goblins, Half-Orcs...)
« Reply #1003 on: August 21, 2017, 02:56:19 AM »
I admire your geen skin tone, how colors you use?

Cheap US craft paints. Americana brand. I forget the exact colors, but something like Dark Avacodo, Light Avacodo, etc. But I also use a thin black wash to start it off sometimes....  :|

Cheap craft paints for me as well, supplemented by Vallejo mettalics, varnishes, and washes.
In the words of the late great Nicki Minaj - Ya done son

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (Marshy Stuff)
« Reply #1004 on: August 26, 2017, 04:48:19 PM »
XXL Fomorian converted & ready for paint. Shown next to the other recent "regular" sized conversions for comparison.

Offline carturello

• Members
  • Tilean soldier, at your service.
« Reply #1005 on: August 27, 2017, 09:40:35 AM »
Your conversion and paint job it's awesome, i really like this ideas.  :Ohmy:

Great Job man, Calmly, I will cover all the discussion

Offline Doc J

• Members
  • The Prince of Brooklyn Park
« Reply #1006 on: September 01, 2017, 08:01:00 PM »
Good lord, he's a monster.
In the words of the late great Nicki Minaj - Ya done son

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #1007 on: September 01, 2017, 08:13:48 PM »
yay for more Fimirians! I seem to remember the head you sculpted and cast a while ago (while claiming that is nothing special, making puny hobbyists such as myself wince). Same for the feet? Mr. XXL looks awesome (you just may want to try and bend the club a little, doesn't look straight from this angle)
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #1008 on: September 03, 2017, 03:14:28 AM »

Thanks!

The heads on the regular sized guys are cast resin. The head on the big guy is sculpted. I actually sculpted two and picked the better of them to put on him. I sculpt the head separate, glue it in place, then sculpt the neck area (usually just a bit of gap filling on the small ones, but this guy needed a wrinkly neck & a bit of re-sculpted shoulder.)

The feet are sculpted on each figure. I don't think there was a good way to cast them for universal use.

I made a mould for two tails, but haven't had a chance to cast more than a couple of them, so I just sculpted these rather bland ones. I really need to dig out the casting stuff and see if it's still good (not likely.) None of it has been used since before we moved, a year ago.

As far as the club, I tried the trick with hot & cold water. It worked for a day or two, but slowly the club bent back to the awkward angle. It seems that the Bones material has more "memory" than most resins. I just took Shadespyre's advice (thank you!) and drilled a hole down the center of the club and slid a bit of brass rod down it -- and that seems to have worked much better so far. Pics as soon as I get some more paint on them. They're all in the awkward, sloppy early stages of my painting.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #1009 on: September 03, 2017, 07:01:11 PM »
Glad it's working out :) There's a lot of differences working with Bones, it's very different from other materials and I learn something new with every model it seems... worth the hassle for the much cheaper models, and the size of what they are doing now... wow!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #1010 on: September 03, 2017, 11:57:51 PM »
That big Fimir dude looks like he means business. :icon_cool: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (More Fomorians/Fimir)
« Reply #1011 on: September 05, 2017, 10:43:35 AM »
Glad it's working out :) There's a lot of differences working with Bones, it's very different from other materials and I learn something new with every model it seems... worth the hassle for the much cheaper models, and the size of what they are doing now... wow!

Definitely. Although I did buy the metal jabberwock rather than the Bones version. Looks waaaay too bendy. Other people had recommended the hot water trick, but it hasn't worked the several times I've tried it. Brass rod seems the way to go.

Finished the first round of the new Bones conversions, plus the XXL Fomorian. I took Shadespyre's advice and drilled a hole down the latter's club and slipped a brass rod in, to keep it straight. Capped with some CA glue. Worked perfectly.

I also rebased some more of the painted dire wolves I got a while ago. The only painting I did was a little touch-up drybrushing. I needed a few on single bases to work out for playing KoW. They are to stand in for moor hounds until I find more suitable models.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #1012 on: September 05, 2017, 12:01:47 PM »
The big guy looks especially splendid :)

I've got a couple of dozen of those old wolves, they do a job and I'm yet to find a better, affordable alternative to be honest.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #1013 on: September 05, 2017, 02:40:00 PM »
Yeah, they're decent (and I didn't have to paint them!) Someday I'd like to find something more like very large/supernatural dogs. But that's very low on my priorities. So for now these are available as both hounds for the Fomorians and dire wolves for the undead.

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #1014 on: September 05, 2017, 02:56:53 PM »
excellent fimir! on the rod fix to bones, you are correct that is about the best way to go. you can save a little time on drilling one of the holes by heating up the metal reinforcing rod over a flame and when hot insert/push it into the rubber/plastic it seats really well and you do not need to glue it in, do it in a ventilated room if you have pets or smell sensitive spouse but smell not too bad, that just leaves you with one end to drill and glue. hope this helps.  steveb

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (Wight Lord)
« Reply #1015 on: September 10, 2017, 05:44:14 AM »

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #1016 on: September 10, 2017, 09:01:20 PM »
Really nice! You've achieved to give life to these dark death models!

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #1017 on: September 12, 2017, 02:32:42 AM »
I mever undeestood the pose of the steed for that wightlord model. It always looked so awkward. You have done a good job of it though.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #1018 on: September 12, 2017, 03:04:55 AM »
Thanks!

I mever undeestood the pose of the steed for that wightlord model. It always looked so awkward.

It looks either tired or as if it's looking/sniffing at something low(er) to the ground. I think what makes it look so odd is that it's so different from all the other steeds, which are more upright.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #1019 on: September 14, 2017, 02:31:56 AM »
But those are reasonable behaviours for a living mount, not an undead one. It also looks like its straining under the weight of its rider, which again shouldn't be an issue for an undead steed.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (Hobbits on Deck)
« Reply #1020 on: September 15, 2017, 03:33:23 AM »

Hit another snag with the hobbit goat knights. I was going to order some slotted bases, but noticed that since they have a single tab, they would end up being shifted to one side or the other of a standard two-slot base. I need to find bases with a single slot down the center -- or find some other way to base them.

So while I sort that out, I prepped some other hobbits... The Boar Cleavers. Taking their name for from their brave stand against mounted orc raiders on the Jackrabbit Trading Company's first caravan mission, the Boar Cleavers are the most elite regiment in the company -- nearly as effective as the average human unit!

More Westfalia miniatures, plus a regimental mascot (from a pack of dogs from Mega Miniatures?) to round the numbers out to 15 for the moment. (I'd like to fill this unit out to 20 strong, if I can get my hands on more hobbit halberdiers.)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: Pandemonium Multi
« Reply #1021 on: September 15, 2017, 06:59:39 AM »
I like the looks of your halberdier line up!

My first five Westfalia hobbits were primed white a good ways back, and then prepped with black on armor and aqua as the initial color for some of their clothing.  Unfortunately no additional progress has been made while Perry WotRs has been ongoing.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 11:15:48 AM by GamesPoet »
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #1022 on: September 15, 2017, 11:03:17 AM »
@023 - these probably won't work but you can have them if you wish. I have 20 of them. No charge. All in the name of hobbits.

Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #1023 on: September 16, 2017, 12:52:43 AM »
Thanks for the offer. I should clarify, I'm looking for 25x50 cavalry bases with a single, central slot - if anyone even makes those. Otherwise, I will have to go with plan B. Or C.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #1024 on: September 16, 2017, 01:49:08 AM »
Thanks for the offer. I should clarify, I'm looking for 25x50 cavalry bases with a single, central slot - if anyone even makes those. Otherwise, I will have to go with plan B. Or C.

It would probably be better if I could read too lol. Just reread that section and it couldn't be more clear. 😺
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.