home

Author Topic: A Painting Blog for my Tilean Campaign  (Read 8307 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: A Painting Blog for my Tilean Campaign
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2022, 11:27:34 AM »
How was it arrived at to use Agrax earth shade instead of Reikland flesh?  I used Reikland flesh last night on some faces and hands for some Genovese crossbowmen, and it worked out relatively well.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2022, 01:37:28 PM »
I happen to have that shade as it was recommended. I do feel happy with it, though, and hopefully it will complement my block/cartoon style on the rest of the figure!

I bet your Genovese xbowmen are a bit taller than these chaps!
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2022, 07:16:45 PM »
I may give it a go at some point.  The Genovese crossbowmen are an older make of 25mm, before 28mm was much of a thing.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2022, 05:27:33 PM »
On with several projects right now, all needed for the next big campaign report.

Here is the almost complete casualty wagon (Perry Miniatures) ...

Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2022, 02:45:06 AM »
I love this sort of thing. Great job :::cheers:::
BTW i know a Vietnam vet. His first job upon arriving at the base was hosing out the medivac choppers

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2022, 09:40:22 AM »
@ Rowsdowser: Not a good start to his war. But then again, I doubt any part of his war felt 'good'.

Meanwhile, here's an even more unusual little piece I need for the next report.

I tell you, it is so useful having a stack of bits boxes going back for decades. I have even had several people sending me bits, which almost always come in useful. Maybe ten or more years later, but they are so often exactly what I need for something.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 12:59:52 PM by Padre »

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2022, 11:04:01 AM »
The bound halfling from the 6th edition metal giant kit I do believe. Have one of those in my own bits never found the right project for it yet.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline Syphon

• Members
« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2022, 01:36:45 PM »
@ Rowsdowser: Not a good start to his war. But then again, I doubt any part of his war felt 'good'.

Meanwhile, here's an even more unusual little piece I need for the next report.

I tell you, it is so useful having a stack of bits boxes going back for decades. I have even had several people sending me bits, which almost always come in useful. Maybe ten or more years later, but they are so often exactly what I need for something.

"I should have never left the Moot..."
Now go! Ride towards the sun atop these noble steeds
You're our spandex heroes, now fullfil your destinies
And so we turned and rode beyond the castle walls
with shiny codpiece armour that doth cradle our chivalrous balls

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2022, 10:01:35 PM »
Trying for more subtle faces than I have ever painted (in several decades and on thousands of figures) and I think I am getting closer  ...

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2022, 12:02:52 AM »
Very good! :icon_cool: :eusa_clap:

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #60 on: August 21, 2022, 12:39:20 PM »
Reminds me of the old 'Fat' merchant and town clerk miniatures. I forever regret not buying them

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #61 on: September 22, 2022, 06:42:05 PM »
I have completed a new Sartosan Pirate regiment for the campaign army. As with the rest of the army, I used an old fan-made army list which I can no longer find on the web, and modified a little to suit the figures I had. I got the idea for this new crew by being talked into buying the new ogre pirate model now available in Warhammer stores. He’s a lovely figure. I forgot to model and paint his parrot, but I will do so before he is used on the tabletop. I put him on a square base as our campaign began many years ago during 8th ed, and is still using 8th ed rules.

Here's the whole regiment …

And here is Kroll in his front-rank position …

Kroll!

OGRE CAPTAIN KROLL
Kroll M4 WS5 S4 S5 T5 W4 I3 A4 Ld8
Giant Parrot M- WS2 BS- S2 T- W- I2 A1 Ld-
Sea Legs; Fear; Impact Hits: Immune to Psychology; Brace of handguns; Lucky Smasher (magic weapon):All Attacks at Multiple Wounds (D3). Can re-roll 1’s to hit.
Giant Parrot: The parrot cannot fly away (it has been clipped) but it can bite! In 1st round of combat, enemies in base contact with crusher are at -1 to hit.

His crew are Wargames Foundry models (all but one) and are definitely fantasy pirates due to the ear-rings and head/waist scarves which were only really ever in illustrations of pirates not actually worn by early 18th century pirates. (Blame the late 19th century, American illustrator Howard Pyle for the look, based on Spanish folk costume of the time - done so that readers would know who was meant to be who in illustrations!)

I did not have quite enough models for a full regiment of axemen, so I used a spare older Games Workshop/Citadel plastic Free Company figure, and some orcs based on 20mm bases, and two big orcs based on 40x40mm bases (unit filler FTW) thus gaining the necessary footprint of 26 crew.

26 PIRATE CREW: KROLL’s Crew
Crewman M4 WS3 BS3 S3 T3 W1 I3 A1 Ld7
Scallywag M4 WS3 BS3 S3 T3 W1 I3 A2 Ld7
Scallywag. Sea Shanty Singer. Standard Bearer. Boarding Axes = Great Weapons

These illustrations show just the new figures, and the old GW plastic in the rear rank …

First rank

Second rank

Third rank

Fourth rank

Fifth rank (with a GW model, painted back when I still used enamels)

And the unit fillers …

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #62 on: September 22, 2022, 08:04:06 PM »
Awesome! :icon_biggrin: :icon_cool: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2022, 04:28:29 AM »
Bring them over. My pirates can fight yours.
P.S I'm going to turn the female figure from the vampire hunters box into a Governess for my pirate army

Offline Sharkbelly

• Members
« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2022, 10:59:41 AM »
Great painting job and an awesome idea.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #65 on: September 23, 2022, 11:14:17 AM »
I'm starting to wonder why I stuck with my enamels cartoon style so long. I actually like my figures' faces now!

Online commandant

• Members
« Reply #66 on: September 24, 2022, 02:55:09 PM »
Habit maybe. After all it is what you knew. These figures are very nice

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #67 on: September 30, 2022, 04:08:03 PM »
Here's a regiment of renown regiment I came up with for a competition a few months ago. It has been considerably delayed so I gained permission to post about it if I wanted to. And I do.

Falco Galante’s Balestrieri (Halfling Rangers) 14 pts per model

These mercenary, halfling rangers hail from the hill villages around the Tilean city of Verezzo. Halflings are commonly gifted archers, these fellows exceptionally so, but unlike many of their counterparts they have adopted crossbows to add an extra punch to their missiles. Their weapons are the lighter kind that mounted crossbowmen carry, as heavier ones are too much of a burden on campaign. Although such lighter crossbows can be hand-spanned by foot men, most of Galante’s halflings use windlasses or cranequins. Tactically, they usually move ahead of the army, or more often on its flanks, seeking suitable spots from which to shoot at the foe, either concealed by greenery or protected by walls or fences. Their red pelican standard is used on the march and in parade, but is trailed when sneaking up on the foe, only being raised after the company has revealed its presence, either by emerging in sight of the foe or by shooting.

M4 WS2 BS5 S2 T2 W1 I5 A1 Ld8 Sv6    Unit size: 8-16

Hand weapons; Light crossbows (Range 20", Strength 4); Light armour.
Musician (+ 5 pts); Standard (+10 pts); Champion (+10 pts)
Special rules: Skirmishers; Scouts.

Falco Galante (Halfling Captain) 60 pts

Falco has mastered of the art of ambush and is believed to be as good with a bow as the infamous outlaw Roberto Capuccio (the Pettirosso). Unlike the rest of his company, he carries a bow, rumoured to have poison-tipped arrows. In battle, his shots signal to his company where they should aim, so whenever an arrow fells an enemy, a hail of quarrels follows a moment later.

M4 WS3 BS6 S3 T3 W2 I6 A3 Ld8

Hand weapon, light armor, bow.

Special rules: Poisoned Attacks; Scout; Ambush (Falco and his company may use the Ambushers special rule); No movement penalties in woods.

Note: These rules were modified from the Empire Forum’s old Treachery and Greed & Empire of Wolves campaign army lists.

……………………….

Kit-bashing

These are kit-bashed mainly from the Wargames Atlantic sprues, with Games Workshop and Perry crossbows as well as some Perry and Games Workshop heads!

Here is the musician. One hand is needed to blow the horn, while the other hand holds a crossbow in case things get 'sticky' and he needs to join in the company's efforts.

Unit Champion
A Perry head I believe.

Unit Standard
I used a weird old Bretonnian bit I thought would make a suitably halfling sort of standard ...

Rank and File

Painting
I want to replicate the ‘cartoon’ look of the other of the 35 years’ worth of enamel figures I own, yet also try to improve my often shockingly bad faces and hands. So, I sprayed a primer, painted the flesh, washed the flesh areas with Agrax Earth Shade, then undercoated the rest with black.

From here I blocked on base paints (as the closest acrylic medium to enamels). The end result fits better with my earlier figures!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #68 on: September 30, 2022, 05:07:56 PM »
Tremendous!

Halfling crossbows for the win!

Cahcoo, and congrats!

:icon_biggrin: :icon_cool: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #69 on: October 03, 2022, 06:57:34 AM »
Fine unit, nice conversions!

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #70 on: November 02, 2022, 11:17:03 PM »
 :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #71 on: December 23, 2022, 08:25:33 PM »
The fourth modelling and painting special video for my Tilean campaign is now available, all about horse riders, and featuring models from as far back as the early 1980s!

https://youtu.be/67l6T8uIXLo

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #72 on: January 03, 2023, 07:35:04 PM »
This is as 'Empire' a post as I have ever managed, I reckon.

Here is the just completed (yet to be based) new order of Morrite knights in Remas. The background will be something along the lines of knights of other orders vowing to serve Morr for their last years, and so they keep certain aspects of their old Orders' livery and crests, etc, but wear Reman colours and have Morrite heraldry on their shields (skulls, Morr's name or a raven's wing).

All 10 ...

The front rank  ...

The rear rank ...

I undercoated with spray, and used a spray silver on the knights themselves. Then I went acrylic and shade paints. I have yet to varnish (I bought some GW spray varnish). All of this is still relatively new to me, despite 35+ years painting, as my past painting used enamels. The medium still seems really 'flaky' to me. It chips easily, covers strangely, and annoyingly comes out satin or gloss.

Here are the commander and standard bearer (Church of Morr standard yet to be attached) ...

First pair, from the (???) order ...

Here is the second pair from (Blazing Sun?) order ...

Third pair (originally ??) ...

Fourth pair (originally ??) ...

I am aware that some of the pairs might actually be character figures rather than Empire orders of knights, but I am hazy about all of them except for the Blazing Sun ones (who are somewhat obvious).

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #73 on: January 04, 2023, 07:00:25 AM »
Found out now these are mostly lord level characters! "Four Grand Masters and the Reiksmarshall!"

Ah well. They make a pretty unit.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #74 on: January 04, 2023, 09:21:55 AM »
Perhaps they can be knights of the Inner Circle of Morr? I'm vaguely recalling Empire had a step up in value for "inner circle" knights.