home

Author Topic: TEG2: Rothgar's Wild Boyz Tactical Thread  (Read 6973 times)

Offline zifnab0

• Members
Re: TEG2: Rothgar's Wild Boyz Tactical Thread
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2013, 11:23:51 AM »
Setup Black Orcs to kill knights when they come back on. Probably overkill but they need to die.
Why do the knights need to die?

He's got 3 small units of knights that are going to ruin the backfield, eliminating one won't make much of a difference.

If the knights really do need to die because they risk a rear charge, I would rather see the NG swift reform and give them some Fanatics to chew on.

Offline Krokz

• Members
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2013, 11:43:53 AM »
Considering that Manglers died Fanatics from NG1 need to go through STank and in the belly of the beast in the middle of his units. They will create havoc there.

Doom divers need to take care of those knights on the right.  They are not worth shooting at with Chukkas except if one kill gets them to panic or a flank shot.
Chukkas shoot at tank if he doesn't get in combat or if you do not get Itchy spell on him. Doing a few wounds on STank cripples it a lot.
Lobbers on Greatswords.

I miss pump wagons on your list :)

Offline rothgar13

• Members
  • Steam Tank Engineer
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2013, 05:03:26 PM »
I do too, but the war machine points had to come from somewhere... :icon_wink:

My NGs failing their Frenzy check and actually making their long charge threw my plans off a bit - I've decided to set up a minefield for the Teutogens/Archers to walk through if they want to get to the main action, while the other set of Fanatics will finish the job the Savages started on the Outriders. I decided to bail the Orc Warboss out of the Blorcs - I don't need him to help drop a 5-man unit of Knights (especially one I cause Fear on - go go obscure uses of Flaming Attacks!), so I'm bringing him to where the fun things are.

The Chukkas are going to have to skewer some Knights, but I'll take those shots one at a time - if I get a kill and he fails Panic, I might be able to disable both of his units simultaneously. I could use a second opinion as to what the Rock Lobbers should aim at, since the STank is off the table - I'm thinking Greatswords because of how easy that block should be to hit, but aiming at that bunker is appealing in the sense that 2 shots could mean no Look Out, Sir! rolls on the second and a character eating a rock (high-risk, high-upside). What say you?

Offline librisrouge

• Members
  • Also, Metal is Best
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2013, 05:30:28 PM »
Didn't see that wall myself. Good call with the BOs then. With any luck, those archers are gone as well next turn and the Savage Orcs can go to town soon enough. Now all you need are some lucky rolls with NGs against that tank. They've been champs so far so lets hope it continues.
Much like Communism, a level three wizard is a waste of everyone's time and will, in due course, fail miserably.

Offline Krokz

• Members
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2013, 06:30:46 PM »
NGs will hold as long as they are Steadfast and are in range of BSB. They should hold STank for two turns at least. I didn't know STank can S&S reaction when charged in flank ... ?

Lobbers on Greatswords is good. Or maybe even Archer bunker? It depends how your magic and chukkas go.
Hand of gork NG2 behind BOs would be great. Thinning down GSs will help in the long run.

Offline Forumite

• Members
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2013, 11:13:31 PM »
The Wiz Lord is well within range of our snipe spells. There are 4 spells that are usefull to cast this turn and with 11PD and a mushroom die from the gobbo shaman we have a decent chance to get them all through before dispels. I suggest we start with the big spell, Hand of Gork on the Black Orcs, if he stops it, then we lock down his greatswords.

4d     - Boosted Hand of Gork to bring the Black Orcs south (14+)
2+1d - Itchy Nuisance against the Greatswords (8+)
3d     - Boosted S5 'Eadbutt against the Wizard Lord (12+)
2d     - Boosted S6 Brain Bursta against the Wizard Lord (9+)

Two options; We could use Brain Bursta against his Gen or BSB, also throwing Itchy Nuisance last might surprise him. It depends on how the first casts go.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 11:20:11 PM by Forumite »

Offline rothgar13

• Members
  • Steam Tank Engineer
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2013, 04:04:01 AM »
I like the spells, dice, and order suggested - getting the Wizard out of the picture is a huge boon for us.

Offline zifnab0

• Members
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2013, 07:22:49 PM »
10 PD to 7 DD

For the first spell, Battle Wiz Lord launches a 4 dice Banishment on the Savage Orcs:  gets 13+4=17.

Dispel choice?

He doesn't have anything other than magic missiles worth casting this turn.  I suggest throwing 5 dice to dispel (90% chance).  Hold 2 back and you should be able to shut down at least one other magic missile, and you'll only take 2d6 S4 this turn.

He could try for Birona's Timewarp on one of his units for the extra movement on T3, but I don't see where that helps him.

Offline librisrouge

• Members
  • Also, Metal is Best
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2013, 09:06:10 PM »
I'd agree. That is his worst spell offensively. With two dice you should be able to stop another missile or a pray but spare yourself what Banishment might do to you if it goes off.
Much like Communism, a level three wizard is a waste of everyone's time and will, in due course, fail miserably.

Offline rothgar13

• Members
  • Steam Tank Engineer
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2013, 09:14:29 PM »
Hm, yeah, I had originally thought to just let it through, but I guess he really can't threaten me with anything else. Let's do that, since Shem's Burning Gaze doesn't have the hits to scare me.

Offline zifnab0

• Members
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2013, 09:17:20 PM »
Hm, yeah, I had originally thought to just let it through, but I guess he really can't threaten me with anything else. Let's do that, since Shem's Burning Gaze doesn't have the hits to scare me.

That was my original thought - why is he wasting 4 dice on Banishment?

Unless he's got some crazy plan (timewarp the GS maybe?), it's because he's got nothing better to spend the dice on.

Offline librisrouge

• Members
  • Also, Metal is Best
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2013, 10:18:27 PM »
Ok, I'm a bit confused by HHGs actions. Shield of Faith on the GSs? Guh?

Maybe he knows something I don't (probably a lot of things actually) but how does that help him? He shouldn't have any combats with them before that wears off. I wonder if he just didn't want to risk a mishap but is protecting himself against some kind of shinanigans on our part? If so, I don't see it.

Ah well, at least we didn't really have to deal with a tough magic phase.

Offline rothgar13

• Members
  • Steam Tank Engineer
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2013, 10:32:14 PM »
Yeah, can't say that made a whole lot of sense to me, either. Maybe he's counting on my NGs making a run for it on this combat phase? But even then, the STank is in the way and I can't charge them with Savages (and I probably don't have the distance, either). Weird decision there.

Offline Forumite

• Members
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2013, 10:47:52 AM »
Good thing the savages didn't make it into combat with the steam tank. It would have held us up for the rest of the game.

Abysmal shooting and magic. We are not having any luck in this game.

Offline librisrouge

• Members
  • Also, Metal is Best
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2013, 04:53:46 AM »
Well never mind that. Guess you're in combat with that tank anyway.

Offline zifnab0

• Members
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2013, 11:55:00 AM »
I'd say don't charge with the Black Orcs.  He'll just flee and you'll be even further out of position next turn.  You need to get the Black Orcs to do something this game.  March them forward into the thick of things.  He can still chaff-block you, but at least you'll be in a position to do something.

Throw 4 dice at 'Ere We Go and 3 at Hand of Gork on the Black Orcs.

Offline librisrouge

• Members
  • Also, Metal is Best
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2013, 03:38:30 PM »
IIRC, you have no wizards left so dispelling is going to be a pain. I'd let Shield of Faith get through but try to 1-dice hammer (2/3rds chance.) Then save all five dice to stop time warp.