home

Author Topic: TEG4: Sammay's All-Cavarly Tactical Thread (Empire only)  (Read 32769 times)

Offline sammay23

• Members
Re: TEG4: Sammay's All-Cavarly Tactical Thread (Empire only)
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2013, 01:44:38 AM »
I was thinking we'd throw two six man knight units out to each flank... Maybe six inches in from the board edge on either side. 3x2.

What do folks think?
Bring out the mop and broom sammay.  I want to see you clean this house.

Offline gray_death01

• Members
« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2013, 02:45:31 AM »
Does keep the center free...Im guessing you are thinking Demis and Stanks in the center? Always thought of Demi's as powerful flankers. Could use them on the flanks to get the Guts to turn and maybe get a nice cannon shot down the flank or put a couple of the 3*3's we are making into the flanks (or another demi unit). Tis a suggestion. I think either way can be made to work though.

Offline Holy Hand Grenade

• Members
  • Never leave the Province without it...
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2013, 10:32:11 AM »
Ogres dropped their Ironblasters.

Next two Empire drops!  (Afther this, we are going back to the normal one drop at a time)

If at first you don't succeed...you either don't have enough faith or you need to bring more explosives

HHG's TDG/TEG Dice Tracker

Offline sammay23

• Members
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2013, 12:16:31 PM »
Okay fellow generals, I'd like some feedback here.

Looks to me like the OK are angling to put their MF cav on their right flank. If they put them on the left, I'm not sure 5-wide MF can fit by that wayshrine. Perhaps they plan on deploying with 3 in the front rank and 2 in the back?

Regardless, we want to make sure we have two units of DGs opposite their MFs, so I'd like to hold back on putting those units down.

We have one 6-knight unit, 3 DG units and 2 Steam tanks left to deploy.

I'm thinking we put one steam tank directly opposite the Ironblasters. How about the other one? I think it could be good between the two 5-man knight units. We'll angle a shot with it toward the Ironblasters on our first turn, which should bring it closer to the center. IF they put a big unit by the wayshrine, we can hold them up nicely with the STank.

Remember, our strategy depends on bringing multiple units to bear on combats. Thus, we want to hit the MFs around turn 3 with at least two units of DGs (probably have to sacrifice a unit of 5 or 6 cav to get them set up right for our charge). We want to then hit the IG units in turns 4-6 with multiple units. So, we'll need our STanks to tie them up for a bit.

How about for our next drops we put down one Stank across from the Ironblasters, and the 6-man knight unit 1 inch left of the leftmost 5-man knight unit (the one with 2 knights on the hill). How does that sound for our next drops?

Offline SevenSins

• Members
« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2013, 04:32:46 PM »
Sounds like a plan

+1  :biggriin:

• Members
« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2013, 09:32:35 PM »
Okay, here it what it looks like!

If at first you don't succeed...you either don't have enough faith or you need to bring more explosives

Offline Forumite

• Members
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2013, 09:47:14 PM »
I like putting down a Stank this round.

One worry, what will the obstacle ahead of the Stank do to its movement?

Offline sammay23

• Members
« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2013, 10:09:57 PM »
Good question about the obstacle. HHG? Is that difficult terrain? If so, scooch the tank to the left a few inches so it has a clear approach please.

Offline cisse

• Members
  • let the wookie win!
« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2013, 10:44:35 PM »
I would try and keep the obstacle between the STank and the ironblasters. It protects our tank from one of those shots at least, even if it does mean we cannot move directly forward.

On the other hand, ironblasters are move and fore, right... So might not br that easy.
cisse

No matter how fast you run, your ass will always be in front of me...

Offline sammay23

• Members
« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2013, 11:02:47 PM »
Yeah, ironblasters are move and fire, just like tanks. Two IBs could drop a tank in turn 1. We just have to accept that. They'd have to roll quite well, but it certainly could happen. I'd rather keep their mobility. We can't pivot them without movement.

Offline sammay23

• Members
« Reply #60 on: July 02, 2013, 01:28:32 AM »
For Mournfangs, an ideal matchup for us would be to charge them with two units of DGs. 18 attacks from DGs, 12 hits, 8 wounds, 2-3 saves. 6 Knights, 4 hits, 4 wounds, 1-2 saves. That's 7-8 wounds for us, enough to drop 2.

On the return attacks, 3 MFs hit 6 times, wound 4 times at -2, we make 2-3 saves. 3 Ogres attack 9 times, 4-5 hits, we save all but one. So, at worst, we lose one DG. We win combat convincingly and should break them even with a re-roll.

I think we want to be directing the 5-man knight units into the Gnoblar units (they'll have to take dangerous terrain tests... clever Ogres).

Sabretusks we hit with whatever we can.

Captasi go after the Ironblasters.

We stall the Irongut units for as long as possible and then decide whether to hit them or not.

• Members
« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2013, 01:53:10 AM »
Good question about the obstacle. HHG? Is that difficult terrain? If so, scooch the tank to the left a few inches so it has a clear approach please.

It is just a normal wall.  It is an obstacle but is not impassable terrain.

A random mover like a STank will only have to make a Dangerous Terrain test going over it if its movement takes into contact with something and therefore turns the movement into a "charge."

Since you are likely to be beyond the wall before that happens, it is a great spot to give the STank a little protection.

• Members
« Reply #62 on: July 02, 2013, 09:59:40 AM »
Empire-

George wants to generate some more discussion on the Ogre deployment strategy so I am giving it a day for people to post.

I will likely update at the end of the night-  then you are up again.

Offline cisse

• Members
  • let the wookie win!
« Reply #63 on: July 02, 2013, 10:40:38 AM »
It's quite an empty board isn't it? Good for our mobility and their ironblasters, hm.
cisse

No matter how fast you run, your ass will always be in front of me...

Offline sammay23

• Members
« Reply #64 on: July 02, 2013, 12:24:03 PM »
It's quite an empty board isn't it? Good for our mobility and their ironblasters, hm.

Agreed. Let's hope that our mobility trumps their clear field of fire :)

While we wait for our OK counterparts, let's get some tactical discussion going here.

I am most interested in what people think we need to accomplish in order to get a victory here.

Do we need to kill off the Ironguts? Do we dare ignore them, with their three casters?

I'm assuming we MUST kill the Ironblasters and Mournfangs. Anyone disagree?

Magic phase... I'm not particularly concerned about the two Firebellies. Should I be?

Captasi. Who goes where?

Broadly, I want to get us thinking ahead several turns, so that we come up with several objectives, along with strategies for accomplishing them.

Also, I don't want the OK thread to get more posts than the Empire thread. Victory comes in many forms!

Offline gray_death01

• Members
« Reply #65 on: July 02, 2013, 01:19:26 PM »
In my mind, the Blasters need to go, doesnt have to be as quick as we can...but its needs to be quick. At the beginning of the game, the blasters will have alot of targets which actually works in our favor as they will need to try and choose what it most important to them. One thing that can not happen though is the blasters getting a turn to work over a Demi unit.

The 'Fangs...it would be great if we could somehow at least get one cannon ball down the units flank, but if not, a good combo charge to the front and flank should do the trick. As long as that unit does not get the charge on us, should be very manageable.

The Guts are going to be something im not sure we can ignore forever. Movement 6 will mean they are almost as fast as we are. I think if we decide to focus on one block, we should be able to leave the other alone. I would say maybe try and put both Stanks into a block. If we think we need to just more so hold them up for a bit, then we throw knight units at them (not too many though =P)

Our flying captains...I think if we are going to use them to go after the Blasters, they need to be deployed close together, almost like a unit from hell. Make the OK's figure out if they want to shoot Demi's, Stanks, or Capts first turn. After that...full speed ahead and behind any cover they can get on the way there.

Just a few thoughts. Be at work all day so wont be able to check this again until night time.

Offline SevenSins

• Members
« Reply #66 on: July 02, 2013, 09:21:05 PM »
I second sending captasi after the blasters, at least two. And they and the mournfang are main priority.

Offline sammay23

• Members
« Reply #67 on: July 02, 2013, 09:25:24 PM »
Agreed. Captasus-swarm at the Ironblasters. Ideally, we should try to think about how to get them to shoot at the one with the charmed shield. However, Captasi are tough targets for cannon... not a large base, so ample opportunity for overshooting them.

And, if they ignore the captasi, they will have to contend with our Steam Tanks. If we can counter-battery fire into their IBs, we will have a shot at ranged dominance.

• Members
« Reply #68 on: July 02, 2013, 09:50:45 PM »
The Ogre team placed their non-Standard of Discipline Ironguts in the center.

Empire-  you are up.  Give me your next deployment drop.

Offline sammay23

• Members
« Reply #69 on: July 03, 2013, 01:56:19 AM »
Team.

I'm thinking 2nd steam tank one inch to the right of Kgt1, on the hill, up the full 12".

Thoughts?

Offline gray_death01

• Members
« Reply #70 on: July 03, 2013, 02:05:50 AM »
Sounds good to me.

• Members
« Reply #71 on: July 03, 2013, 09:34:18 AM »
Team.

I'm thinking 2nd steam tank one inch to the right of Kgt1, on the hill, up the full 12".

Thoughts?

Let me make a couple of recommendations for you.

1.  You won't want the STank exactly 1 inch away from a Knight.  Because the STank will move first randomly before the Knights move (unless the Knights can charge), the STank won't be able to pivot to aim what it wants to shoot at.  It will only be able to move straight forward.   I always give at least 2,5 inches.

2.  If you happen to get the first turn and want to shoot at an Ironblaster, I would put the STank slightly back to be fully on the hill so he can get the shot over their hill.

3.  With all this in mind, you may want to face the STank so it is already pointing towards an Ironblaster.  That way if it loses its mobility because of a STeam mishap, you still have a shot.

I realize that you may want to squeeze another unit in there so that it why you wanted it placed in tight-  but I think the above considerations might change your mind.

Here is an example of what I am describing:

Offline sammay23

• Members
« Reply #72 on: July 03, 2013, 12:49:00 PM »
 :::cheers::: These are great points, HHG. Make it so :)

Our last three drops will be relatively quick. I'll be online today and should be able to respond pretty quickly to updates.

• Members
« Reply #73 on: July 03, 2013, 10:30:48 PM »
Here is where we are at:

Give me Empire's next drop!

Offline sammay23

• Members
« Reply #74 on: July 03, 2013, 10:59:03 PM »
Let's get some DGs between the Stank behind the wall and the Kgt2 unit. Pushed all the way forward please.