home

Author Topic: TEG4: Ogres Tactical Thread (Ogre Team only)  (Read 23132 times)

Offline Holy Hand Grenade

• Members
  • Never leave the Province without it...
Re: TEG4: Ogres Tactical Thread (Ogre Team only)
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2013, 09:35:20 PM »
looks fine

The only possible change I can see in out plan would be to swap the western guts to a gap between the Mournfang and Ironblaster if we want the General's Ld over there for them?
Thoughts guys?

Next drops will be the 2 blasters, just ensure space for the above switch if required :)

Another thing I thought about when looking at your dep plan was to make sure the Gen & BSB Guts are placed within 12 inches of the Fangs by sliding the Mournfangs over a bit and keeping all the other units in tight behind the hill.

I will keep all this in mind as deployment shapes up for you.
If at first you don't succeed...you either don't have enough faith or you need to bring more explosives

HHG's TDG/TEG Dice Tracker

Offline Aineias The Scarred

• Members
  • Audax dux
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2013, 11:29:37 PM »
The only possible change I can see in out plan would be to swap the western guts to a gap between the Mournfang and Ironblaster if we want the General's Ld over there for them?
Thoughts guys?
Seems smart to me. So basically 1 blaster will stay between the guts?
"In pace, ut sapiens, aptarit idonea bello"

Offline George

• Members
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2013, 12:22:08 AM »
Actually both Ironblasters would be between the blocks, we will be stretching the 12" to get to the 2nd gut block.
The other option HHG mentioned also has some merit. I feel keeping the Mournfang 6" away from any source of panic would be fine. The only threat they have to cause damage at range is chainlightning and the STanks. That said we may want the LD closer to them later in the game?
My Armies:
Empire
Ogres

• Members
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2013, 10:28:43 AM »
Here is how it looks now.  Empire is up again.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 09:33:18 PM by Holy Hand Grenade »
If at first you don't succeed...you either don't have enough faith or you need to bring more explosives

• Members
« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2013, 09:40:33 PM »
They did their next two drops.

Ogres are up.

Based on your deployment plan, I think you drop a Ironguts to the left of the left most Ironblaster and then, based on what they do, decide if you are going to drop the other Ironguts in the west or east spot. 

Offline George

• Members
« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2013, 10:03:14 PM »
That's pretty much the idea....the issue I have is we need to decide now where the General goes as we should place the unit without the Standard of Discipline.

I didn't expect to see a STank down yet, and it is opposite the planned spot for the Mournfang.
I think the plan is still OK as it will likely be target 1 for the Ironblasters, but I hope to see the other Stank before we get to the Mournfang.

I am leaning towards dropping the Standard of Discipline guts on the left of the Ironblaster. It means that the Mournfang may not get the Genreal's Ld, but we could still provide a reroll by having the BSB close depending where the other guts go.
Can you give my team a bit of time to chime in, but if it takes too long do this.
My Armies:
Empire
Ogres

Offline Aineias The Scarred

• Members
  • Audax dux
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2013, 11:59:49 PM »
Actually both Ironblasters would be between the blocks, we will be stretching the 12" to get to the 2nd gut block.
The other option HHG mentioned also has some merit. I feel keeping the Mournfang 6" away from any source of panic would be fine. The only threat they have to cause damage at range is chainlightning and the STanks. That said we may want the LD closer to them later in the game?
Ok, got it now.

If I am to choose between the mournfangs being in BSB range or in General leadership range I would say the first. As you say, you may still find yourself in LD bubble in the following turns.
"In pace, ut sapiens, aptarit idonea bello"

• Members
« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2013, 01:57:06 AM »
Can you give my team a bit of time to chime in, but if it takes too long do this.

Sure, I will wait till tomorrow morning and update it before I go to work.

Offline George

• Members
« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2013, 03:17:20 AM »
Thanks HHG

It was Roth who was concerned about the LD bubble and STanks in relation to the Mournfang.
It feels this deployment has a big impact on htis issue.
My Armies:
Empire
Ogres

• Members
« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2013, 09:57:07 AM »
Thanks HHG

It was Roth who was concerned about the LD bubble and STanks in relation to the Mournfang.
It feels this deployment has a big impact on htis issue.

Looks like we will be waiting a little longer on Rothgar.

Since you haven't gotten feedback on this yet-  my friendly two cents even though I am not on your team-  I like the Standard of Disp Guts next to the right of the Ironblasters and the other Guts to the left.

This would keep everything in the Ldrship bubble except your Gnobs and a Kittie.  This would allow your Gen & BSB Guts with the Mournfangs next to them to swing up and create and angled battle line from the center of your board edge to the east.  This battle line will be easier to defend against his mobile attack then your long board edge.  The Gnobs are a little out of position-  but they will be still able to get in the way.

So all this being said-  I would place your non-Standard of Disp Guts to the left of the Guts first.  This way-  Empire will not know if your Gen and BSB are going in the west or east, and therefore they can't be sure of where your Mournfangs are going....west or east.  This will cause them to continue to spread their combat power out.

When I get home from work tonight, I will see what your team is thinking and post your next drop then. 

Offline rothgar13

• Members
  • Steam Tank Engineer
« Reply #60 on: July 02, 2013, 04:44:27 PM »
Sorry for the delay, fellas.

I feel that I would like the Mournfangs to be close to the Gnoblars (who can screen them against charges without making them check for Panic), and at least 6" away from the Sabretusks and IBlasters. I'm thinking across the field from Knights 4 and Knights 1 would be best. I would then place the IG block with the Standard behind the Sabretusk that is not sandwiched by Ironblasters, and the last IG block can go on either far flank, depending on whether you want to play refused flank or not (I would consider it - Knights are fast, but making them have to use their mobility to get into the fight isn't a bad thing).

Offline George

• Members
« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2013, 08:52:43 PM »
That's an interesting idea Roth.
I am fairly keen on the refused flank idea though as the empire has enough units with mobility to make it hard not to give up our flanks or rear.
We are fine if the fight is 1 on 1, but we will loose quick if they are able to generate combat res alongside their ability to absorb wounds wit their armour.

Given your idea and HHGs I think we procrastinate some more and drop the guts without standard next to the left ironblaster....we can make either plan work then.

My Armies:
Empire
Ogres

Offline rothgar13

• Members
  • Steam Tank Engineer
« Reply #62 on: July 02, 2013, 09:27:13 PM »
I think that given his list composition, we're probably looking at getting flanked once or twice this game (if shooting/magic don't go entirely as planned). With that in mind, our preferred outcome is to have the IG units be at risk for that outcome, as they have characters to stonewall Knight attacks and ranks to be steadfast with. Barring that, a timely use of bubble Spinemarrow might do the trick.

Offline George

• Members
« Reply #63 on: July 02, 2013, 09:40:16 PM »
That is true.
What I am hoping to do is keep the guts close enough to each other to provide support if flanked.
I don't want to end up in a situation where both gut units end up in grinding combat while the rest of the army goes where they want and picks off points.
My Armies:
Empire
Ogres

• Members
« Reply #64 on: July 02, 2013, 09:43:39 PM »
Given your idea and HHGs I think we procrastinate some more and drop the guts without standard next to the left ironblaster....we can make either plan work then.

Roger.  I will let Empire know we are placing Ironguts 2 in the center.

Here are what the two options look like to help the Ogre team out.

Mournfangs left:

Mournfangs right:

Offline rothgar13

• Members
  • Steam Tank Engineer
« Reply #65 on: July 02, 2013, 10:28:51 PM »
I'm a fan of the Mournfangs being to the left. They should blast right through any of those Knight units, and the Elven Waystone can be used as a flank guard of sorts. I also like any plan that keeps them as far away from the Steam Tank as possible.

Offline George

• Members
« Reply #66 on: July 02, 2013, 11:35:53 PM »
lets see what they drop next....hoping to see the STank as that will halp decide us.
They still have 3 Demis and 3 pegasus to drop so it could be possible for them to just chaff up the Mournfang and keep them out of the game.

If we see the other STank on the left then I think we go right with the Mournfang, if they pair them up we go left....and if they don't drop it next my gut says to still go on the right.
My Armies:
Empire
Ogres

• Members
« Reply #67 on: July 03, 2013, 09:19:08 PM »
lets see what they drop next....hoping to see the STank as that will halp decide us.

Your hope is reality, George.

Ogres are up.  What do you want now?

Offline rothgar13

• Members
  • Steam Tank Engineer
« Reply #68 on: July 03, 2013, 09:37:52 PM »
Well, now it's definitely Mournfangs on the left side, and we'll use those Gnoblars as screens the STank will have to chew through to get to them (and if it comes to that, hopefully we can get the charge and 6-dice Bullgorger).

Offline George

• Members
« Reply #69 on: July 03, 2013, 09:39:49 PM »
Just finished typing below while you posted Roth? Thoughts?

They have 3 holes left in their depolyment for the Demis to fit in. 1 in the West and 2 in the East.
I don't think we can afford to have the 2 unit in the East rolling up our flank.
We have our gnobs and sabre ready to delay the West side so I think we deploy with the Mourngangs to the right plan.
This also puts a unit of guts facing off against each tank, so if the cannons don't do their work then the guts can finish them off.
2 units of demis will be difficult for the Mournfang, but due to our numbers I think we can take them if we get the charge and engage them 1 on 1. The guts will also be in support to dig them out of any trouble.
My Armies:
Empire
Ogres

Offline rothgar13

• Members
  • Steam Tank Engineer
« Reply #70 on: July 03, 2013, 09:42:40 PM »
So you're hoping to use the Mournfangs as an anti-Demigryph counter? That's a good idea, because they do have the attack output to bother the Ironguts. If that's the case, then I amend my recommendation and say we go to the East, though that basically means we'll be playing refused flank anyway (just to the opposite flank I thought we were doing it). In that case, just plant the Gnoblars as "spike strips" along the west side to take up space/turns to be overrun.

• Members
« Reply #71 on: July 03, 2013, 09:48:10 PM »
Great discussion.

Let me know which one you want to drop next too-  the Guts or Fangs

Offline George

• Members
« Reply #72 on: July 03, 2013, 09:55:37 PM »
i don't either matters much as we will be telegraphing what we are doing now....drop the guts, happy to see the fangs go down staraight after too....unless they do something quite unexpected. Am expecting a unit of demis in any of the 3 holes left in their deployment.

Roth, glad we finally made it to the same page...the original plan was to blow through the knights, but seeing the spaces for demis form up I changed my thoughts....primarily based around not leeaving our guts and ironblasters at the mercy of 2 of their units.
My Armies:
Empire
Ogres

• Members
« Reply #73 on: July 03, 2013, 10:29:54 PM »
Okay, here it is.

• Members
« Reply #74 on: July 04, 2013, 12:22:24 AM »
They placed a Demi and you placed the Fangs.

Confirm for me where you want the characters.  They are going to finish up their deployment.