home

Author Topic: Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 4th Edition  (Read 37732 times)

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
Re: Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 4th Edition
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2017, 10:45:01 PM »
I got it in PDF, which is just about the easiest format to find a reader.   It's fully indexed, and the text is searchable as well, at least it is using Acrobat Reader on my PC

Offline EccentricCircle

• Members
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2017, 03:01:56 PM »
The download gives pdfs and an ebook format which I wasn't familiar with. I've downloaded the pdfs and been reading through a couple of them, which all look clear and nicely digitised. I agree that they are pretty easy to access and use.

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2017, 03:25:06 PM »
After a long wait, Cubicle 7 have finally started putting out some information.

http://cubicle7.co.uk/

We’ve been hard at work on the new edition of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, and this week we’re going to be sharing the first big slices of news with you!

Release Date
There has been an amazing amount of excitement around Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Fourth Edition – we’re at the beginning of the journey but it’s already been a tremendous project thanks to the energy and enthusiasm of all the Warhammer fans we’ve been talking to since the project was announced. Thanks to you all for being awesome, and thanks for your patience waiting for news!

Design lead Dominic McDowall is on hand to tell us about the game’s development:

“The initial plan was to make some small updates to the awesome second edition, and that would mean we would be able to release the game in 2017. We’re all huge fans of the first and second editions of WFRP, and we wanted to take the game back to those roots.

“When I got into the guts of the game I started seeing more opportunities to add in some of the things we’ve learned over the years. This more creative direction meant a longer development phase. Games Workshop are extremely supportive of us taking the time we need to make WFRP Fourth Edition the very best game it can be, and so that’s what we did. I’m very excited about the way things have come together!

“The release date of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Fourth Edition will be set for mid-2018, with a specific date to be set in a few months. Thank you for your patience while we invest the time to make the best game we can.”

We have some exciting events planned around the release date, so stay tuned for the latest new on those!

Covers
The initial releases for WFRP Fourth Edition will be a core rulebook and a boxed starter set. We’ve commissioned Ralph Horsley to paint a pair of covers for these which we’re very excited to share today!

It looks like the game has been delayed a little, now looks to be out mid 2018, rather than before christmas

But the covers looks great

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2017, 12:40:46 PM »
I love these covers. The second one is a clear throwback to the 1st edition (english version). They're a perfect mix of grim and perilous atmosphere and a sense of impending adventure. Shame about the 2018 release schedule, but in the end I want a well tarnished, fully finished product. If Cubicle7 needs more time, then be it.
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2017, 02:55:39 PM »
"YES!!!!!" I love it  :::cheers::: :::cheers::: :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Bartolo Miachevelia

• Members
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2017, 09:03:00 PM »
Shouldn' Skaven be a considered a secret  and urban legend in the Empire? Why the Skaven skull and reward poster? :ph34r:

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2017, 12:39:41 PM »
Shouldn' Skaven be a considered a secret  and urban legend in the Empire? Why the Skaven skull and reward poster? :ph34r:

What do you mean, these are just some reeeeealy, big rat skulls, hanging on that wall. ;)
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

Gneisenau

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2017, 12:41:29 PM »
There will be a new version of the "Enemy Within", with Graeme Davis behind the wheel. On one hand I'm glad that Mr. Davis will return to Warhammer and present use with a refreshed "director's cut" edition, but on the other... really? "Enemy Within" AGAIN? :unsure:

Gneisenau

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2017, 12:45:58 PM »
The Skaven skull is a hoax, the reward poster is a joke.  Skaven don't exist. :icon_wink:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2017, 10:18:21 AM »
There will be a new version of the "Enemy Within", with Graeme Davis behind the wheel. On one hand I'm glad that Mr. Davis will return to Warhammer and present use with a refreshed "director's cut" edition, but on the other... really? "Enemy Within" AGAIN? :unsure:

Yeah, i'm in two minds as well.  I've played TEW with 2 groups, and my current campaign with a 3rd is getting closer and closer to starting it.  At least it's not a straight out reprint though.  The first 4 adventures Mistaken Identity through to Power Behind the Throne work quite well.  But Something Rotten in Kislev doesn't fit into Warhammer let alone TEW.  I seem to be in a minority in thinking Empire in Flames is ok, obviously the ending doesn't fit with WFB at all.

But are we going to see much new stuff, or "Director's Cuts" of Doomstones, Ashes of Middenheim, Thousand Thrones, The 3rd Ed TEW, and all the other bits and pieces that have been re-done over the years. 

If they adapt "A Rough Night at the Three Feathers" to 4th ed, i'd like it if they also did "Another Rough Night" as a sort of unrelated sequel

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2017, 11:16:47 AM »
So, if you're a WFRP fan, what are you hoping for and what are you expecting in 4th edition?

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #61 on: December 06, 2017, 11:35:26 AM »

Yeah, i'm in two minds as well.  I've played TEW with 2 groups, and my current campaign with a 3rd is getting closer and closer to starting it.  At least it's not a straight out reprint though.  The first 4 adventures Mistaken Identity through to Power Behind the Throne work quite well.  But Something Rotten in Kislev doesn't fit into Warhammer let alone TEW.  I seem to be in a minority in thinking Empire in Flames is ok, obviously the ending doesn't fit with WFB at all.

But are we going to see much new stuff, or "Director's Cuts" of Doomstones, Ashes of Middenheim, Thousand Thrones, The 3rd Ed TEW, and all the other bits and pieces that have been re-done over the years. 

If they adapt "A Rough Night at the Three Feathers" to 4th ed, i'd like it if they also did "Another Rough Night" as a sort of unrelated sequel

TEW's good stuff ends at PBtT. SRiK and EiF are simply bad. Even Blood on the Reik suffers a bit, because of sandbox issues.

I hope to see more original content and, frankly, making a remastered version of the Doomstones would be like putting a cherry on a rotten turd. 1K Thrones dosen't need a remastered version, as well as the pthers 2nd edition campaigns, in my opinion.

I'd definitely like to see a couple of classic adventures, adapted to 4th edition, like the "Rough night..." and a "A night of blood", but in the end it's all about the new stuff, for me.

Gneisenau

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #62 on: December 06, 2017, 11:40:14 AM »
So, if you're a WFRP fan, what are you hoping for and what are you expecting in 4th edition?

Less whacky stuff than in 1st edition, easier and faster combat, a well made trade and crafting system, enemies from a Bestiary that can pose a real threat, even to high level characters.

I want to see lands other than the Old World getting fleshed out. I want to see Lustria and the Orient. I want to see a book about Araby. I'm seriously going to shoot myself, if Cubicle7 will once again delve into the standard WFRP trope of beastmen in the forests and cultists lurking in the basements, not to mention grim witch hunters. I want WFRP to evolve and not sit in the same place, in which it was sitting for the last 30 years.

WFRP will either change it's MO or die, it's that simple. Leave the core of the game's atmosphere as it is, but move forward. Please.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 02:57:04 PM by Xathrodox86 »

Gneisenau

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #63 on: December 06, 2017, 12:48:41 PM »

TEW's good stuff ends at PBtT. SRiK and EiF are simply bad. Even Blood on the Reik suffers a bit, because of sandbox issues.

I hope to see more original content and, frankly, making a remastered version of the Doomstones would be like putting a cherry on a rotten turd. 1K Thrones dosen't need a remastered version, as well as the pthers 2nd edition campaigns, in my opinion.

I'd definitely like to see a couple of classic adventures, adapted to 4th edition, like the "Rough night..." and a "A night of blood", but in the end it's all about the new stuff, for me.

I don't own all of Doomstones.  (I thought I did, and may have just tidied them into the wrong place), and a long time since I read it, but my impression from memory is a series of random encounters and an origami project, and doesn't really fit Warhammer fluff.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #64 on: December 06, 2017, 12:56:47 PM »
It was originally a D&D campaign, adapted for WFRP 1st edition. I have most of them, bar one. I tried buy the last part a few weeks ago, but the price was... absurd.

Gneisenau

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #65 on: December 06, 2017, 01:00:55 PM »
Reddit organises a cool initative, with very cool prizes. Details are below, but the winner can grab a voucher from GW, a Steam key and/or a kickstarter-excluisive ZWEIHANDER copy.

https://www.reddit.com/r/warhammerfantasyrpg/comments/7hrfuh/were_running_the_threepage_fiction_contest_submit/

I just might take my chances with this one. :smile2:

Gneisenau

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #66 on: December 06, 2017, 01:18:11 PM »
It was originally a D&D campaign, adapted for WFRP 1st edition. I have most of them, bar one. I tried buy the last part a few weeks ago, but the price was... absurd.

i'm hoping C7 will make pdfs of all the 1st ed stuff

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #67 on: December 06, 2017, 01:22:05 PM »

Less whacky stuff than in 1st edition, easier and faster combat, a well made trade and crafting system, enemies from a Bestiary that can pose a real threat, even to high level characters.

I want to see lands other than the Old World getting fleshed out. I want to see Lustria and the Orient. I want to see a book about Araby. I'm seriously going to shoot myself, if Cubicle7 will once again delve into the standard WFRP trope of beastmen in the forests and cultists, lurking in the basements, not to mention grim witch hunters. I want WFRP to evolve and not sit in the same place, in which it was sitting for the last 30 years.

WFRP will either change it's MO or die, it's that simple. Leave the core of the game's atmosphere as it is, but move forward. Please.

Good summary. Hope they are reading this. Can’t say I’m a role player but I sure feel your angst about staying in the same place.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #68 on: December 06, 2017, 01:36:02 PM »

I agree with a lot of that.  Even ordinary buying and selling items is a chore to do with Old World Armoury, let alone the cargo trading system, which often doesn't make sense.  I've built spreadsheets to help fast track a lot of stuff.  I've pretty much copied any item from OWA, and any other 2nd ed books into a list, and all I have to do is put in on one sheet the gossip, haggle score of the purchaser and seller, and city size, and it rolls dice (random funciton) and caluculates if it's available or in demand, and a buy and sale price based on haggling.   And I've done something for the trading rules from The WFRP Companion as well.     Plus I have a party tracking sheet, group inventory thing, earninns and expenses tracking thing, for those days when they do their careers, and the the costs of staying at inns, and food are all calculated a sum I can tell the players, os they can update their character sheet.

I play on Roll20, so I have a large number of NPCs built up there.   I've built most of these things, just so I'm not wasting time in a session looking stuff up.  I used to have players submit a list between sessions of anything their characters might want t o buy and pre-work it our before the session, I can now pretty much do it in real time.

I would change the way availability works, by having types of shop in a town or village having an availability rating, then whole groups of items then become available or not.  Combat I don't think is too bad until you start getting large groups, including NPCs on both sides of it.  i'm inclined to make it less gamey though, with the type of action, and have players describe how they are trying to fight, and then apply modifiers accordingly.

I like the D100 system, as it's really easy for new players to understand.  But there comes a tipping point from most things being really difficult to becoming really easy,  where PCs start becoming so much stronger than the average guard, so they get cocky, and you get former rat-catchers threatening counts, knowing they and their guards are no match to the players. 

I want to see lands other than the Old World getting fleshed out. I want to see Lustria and the Orient. I want to see a book about Araby. I'm seriously going to shoot myself, if Cubicle7 will once again delve into the standard WFRP trope of beastmen in the forests and cultists, lurking in the basements, not to mention grim witch hunters. I want WFRP to evolve and not sit in the same place, in which it was sitting for the last 30 years.

I think when I spoke to Cubicle 7 at Warhammer Fest, they were looking to explore those areas, and possibly different time periods as well.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #69 on: December 06, 2017, 02:56:24 PM »

i'm hoping C7 will make pdfs of all the 1st ed stuff

I hope that they'll do high quality reprints!

Gneisenau

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #70 on: December 06, 2017, 03:03:33 PM »
Scaling enemies is no real problem for me. A rat-catcher would last all of 5 seconds, if he even deemed to threaten a noble. Sorry boi, but dems them world rules. Altough I do agree, at some point the enemies need to be either A) more numerous, B) much stronger or C) both. Handling large combat is always tricky in WFRP. Different supplements gave different ideas how to do it efficiently, but neither one of them did a fine enough job, in my opinion.

Old World Armoury is a mess and in polish version it's even worse, because of a botched translation job. I've heard that two teams were working on that book and did not consult each other. This explains the final, messy state of this sourcebook. Good thing that there are a lot of fan-made trade supplements out there. WFRP Companion also helps a bit.

Gneisenau

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #71 on: December 06, 2017, 04:18:07 PM »
What are your tips for scaling enemies?   Like in the example, where were all these more and more numerous guards and stronger guards at the start of the campaign, it doesn't necessarily feel right that everything else is getting stronger along with the players.

i'd rather have tips on trying to get  the player to play in the mindset of the character in the setting, than just bully his way with brute force through every problem.  In the far past, when I tried to out-muscle a player like that, it just spiralled into that player just attacking any guard he ever came across, and I kind of gave up on the campaign, as it had broken the illusion of it being realistic for the setting at that point

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #72 on: December 07, 2017, 12:50:18 PM »
Either make the players fight tougher enemies, while simultaneously avoiding weaker ones, or just throw huge numbers at them. Goblins rarely attack solo and a dozen nurglings will give even a Grail Knight some hard time. Also remember that while many of the enemies can be considered cannon fodder, there are also their leaders - the Bestiary gives good examples on creating such enemies. They should make a life a hell of a lot harder for the PC's.

Play on the consequences of their actions. If my player would just walk around, killing guards, then there would be consequences. Wanted posters, armed and armored search parties, wizards and witch hunters. Hell, if he'd be incredibly stupid (attacking a priest of Sigmar in front of Altdorf's great cathedral), then he'd simply change character, Fate Points or not. I would, of course, describe in detail the absolute butt-fucking that his "hero" would be subjected to, from a combined forces of warrior priests, soldiers, city guards and knights. Trust me - after a show like that, he would definitely start playing in a more responsible and, dare I say, better way. I know, I've seen it before.

Gneisenau

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #73 on: December 08, 2017, 05:26:36 AM »
Yeah, I have never played an RPG, but I imagine you have other controls you can use to rein that shit in.
Get wanted posters or NPCs like inn keeps to refuse service. Bounty / witch hunters to appear in increasing volume and capability, even turning up in the middle of quests to try and kill or capture their character.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #74 on: December 08, 2017, 09:46:46 AM »
Yeah, I have never played an RPG, but I imagine you have other controls you can use to rein that shit in.
Get wanted posters or NPCs like inn keeps to refuse service. Bounty / witch hunters to appear in increasing volume and capability, even turning up in the middle of quests to try and kill or capture their character.

Exactly! I also tend to scale encounters, as my players get stronger and stronger in that I buff almost every enemy's stats (or some of them like TB and SB) by a 5% for every 1000 XP, that my players have. It works really well, dosen't break the game and is generally a very mild way of spicing up the game.

But the most important part is this: always remember that the world is alive and will react to PC's actions. A person, freely slaughtering people on the streets is not merely asking for trouble - he is signing his death sentence.

Gneisenau