home

Author Topic: War of the Ring BR, 1500 a side  (Read 857 times)

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
War of the Ring BR, 1500 a side
« on: August 16, 2009, 08:58:50 PM »
Should have taken the ent. This thought rings with me still.

Apologies first, I forgot to take pictures on several turns, thus we shall pretend they didn't exist, unless it was to my glory.

I would like to say, considering 3 people here had never played the game, and how many times we had to look up rules and stats, the game flowed incredibly fast. The is one thing I like about it, it's fast and fun, simple yet tactical, and other sayings which imply good things. Everyone enjoyed the game, and are now going to collect larger armies (yes! What I was hoping for, more players! Now to do the same with At 43!)

At the start, there were five of us. At the end, there were five of us, as no-one got wiped out, which is a shame. 3 on the bad side, 2 on the debatedly good side (gondor and uruk hai?).

Almost every turn saw 1 or 2 men/horsemen die to Archery. There were no spectacular shots barring one instance, so I probably didn't note it very often.

Anyway, we all deployed, and immediately noticed that "Good/Confused" outnumbered "Evil/bickeringhousewifes". That'll teach you to take so many heros!

For the first turn, everyone promptly advanced, apart from the Easterlings at the bottom who bloody flew across the damn table using that Wings of Terror spell. Archery saw very little die, the trebuchet killed a single Easterling. This was to prove it's only contribution to the entire battle. Damn you warlordgames, I needed those bolt throwers! (Edit) The Easterling archers up north oblitered the poor orc archers up top. Heartless.

Just look at the bottom, first turn they get a point blank charge, madness. Fortunately, as they had metal pikes, the owner speared himself at least once a turn, every time to our laughter.

He also made sure I took this picture to show their martial prowess (he killed 9 archers, the rest promptly rolled a 6 for Steadfast and ignored it)

There's a gap here, where the Gondor block of troops charged the 3 companies of Haradrim, and annihilated them in one turn (killed half, so he had a stand and a half left, then he rolled a 1 for steadfast, failed leadership by enough to lose second stand, 1 on steadfast auto kills unit if it falls below 50% of stands. Woo). Note my avoiding the troll. Monsters are horrendous versus troops. And those southern pikemen still only manage to kill half the archers.

The Northern battle with the Uruk Hai picking entirely on one of the 3 bad guys was a rather half hearted affair of 2 steps back, then 2 more. Apart from the amusing incident when a single Easterling Archer headshot the Uruk troll, who promptly screamed "Hax!" and fell over dead. The Gondor Knights charged Saladin and his bodyguard, broke them, and made them flee like the little, unpainted girls they are.

The Knight of Umbar, finally remembering he existed beyond casting Wings of Terror, killed both the Failbuchet and the Archers with two spells. Never taking a damn trebuchet again. Everytime it fired, it missed, apart from turn 1 when it killed a 1/8 of a 35 point company. It costs 100 points.

The Knights of Gondor charged the haradrim archers, and killed lots of them. They broke, and spent the rest of the game wetting themselves. The taunting between the Uruks and the Easterlings escalated to actual threats.

And now, the final image, missing quite bit of time. I'd like to say there were easterlings left in the north, they were just packed up by name, and Saladin and 4 of his mates were still alive, pounding the knights of gondor. The troll had also been repeatedly beating on the block of Gondor troops, whilst the pikemen dithered about, scared of Faramir. Really, look at the guy, how can you be scared, he's a pussycat. Boromir is the scary one.

Finally, the Uruk hai struck, the berserkers killing every archer up north in a wonderful display of what strength 8 does to the enemy, coupled with two handed weapons (2+ to kill). Lurtz and his band of travellers kill some Easterlings, and scare off Khamul. The troll continued to beat up Faramirs unit whilst avoiding being near Faramir. The pikemen down south dithered, Saladin mocked everyone with his restoring might, and then the game ended.

We did a pretend extra turn, whereupon I finally killed the damned Mumatroll.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 09:03:46 PM by MrDWhitey »
I thought he should act responsibly and just kill himself.