home

Author Topic: 9th Age Orders for our Generals  (Read 2581 times)

Offline grimgorgoroth

• Members
9th Age Orders for our Generals
« on: March 17, 2016, 09:41:41 PM »
What I like about 9th Age is that it gives us Orders to use with our Marshals and Captains. It gives us so much flexibility.

Orders 
Lord Characterswith this special rule may give a single Order to a friendly Parent or Support Unit within 6”,whilst Hero
Characters may only give a single Order to a Parent or Support Unit they have joined. Orders are given at the start of
each friendly Player Turn. The effects ofOrders apply immediately to the target unit and last untilthe beginning of your
next Player Turn. A unit cannot receive the same order more than once during the same turn. Each order has the
following effect:

On The Double!  The target unit gains +2 Movement. If it declares a Charge this turn, it gains +1 Movement
instead.

Steady, Men!  The target unit may roll an additional D6 when taking Leadership Tests and discard the
highest roll. A unit that receives this Order and passes aRally test may move and shootin the
same turn, but will always count as having moved, cannot March and cannot declare Charges.

Ready! Aim! Fire!  The target unit gains +6” range with mundane Shooting Weapons.

Brace For Impact!  The target unit gains Fight In Extra Rank.

Marshals cost 90 points and may be upgraded  following:
Seasoned General ​(10 pts) Great Tactician​(30 pts) Imperial Prince ​(100 pts)  

A Seasoned General gains +1
Weapon Skill. If a Seasoned General
is included in the army, one unit of
Heavy Infantry may be upgraded to
Seasoned Soldiers. Additionally, one
unit of Light Infantry may be
upgraded to Seasoned Soldiers. Seasoned Soldiers: (State Troops) Heavy Infantry ​Models get +1 Weapon Skill and +1
Initiative.
Light infantry:(handgunners and crossbows):​Models get +1 Ballistic Skill and gain
Light Armour.

A Great Tactician may give two
Orders per turn instead of one and
these two Orders may each target a
different unit. If a Great Tactician is
the General of the army then he may
give Orders to any Parent or Support
Unit within the range of his Inspiring
Presence.

An Imperial Prince gains +1 Attack
and is equipped with The Sonnstahl. (Rune Fang)
An Imperial Prince may not
purchase any other Magical Weapon
and may only take up to 25 pts of
Magical Items. May ride a dragon

Now you dont always have to take an Archlector. Which would you recommend?

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
Re: 9th Age Orders for our Generals
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 07:57:07 PM »
I'm taking the Seasoned General (and those two Seasoned units). He brings one Order which can be given to a unit within 6". Then I have the Captain (BSB), who can order his own unit. And a Master Artificer in a Seasoned Handgunner unit, who can give the Fire! order to that unit.

The 9th Age is so good to Empire. It feels right, it plays right.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 11:54:10 AM »
I like it
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline SorenJ

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 08:41:22 AM »
What I especially dislike about 9'th Empire, is the orders.

First off, there are many other games that uses orders and with this I feel like they are trying to turn the game into something it has never been. Secondly, on a fluff basis it's stupid that hey Empire can improve combat performance just by shouting at their men, but the elves with thousands of years experience never thought of this.

It also calls for more bookkeeping on how many orders were issued and to whom (sort of an additional magic phase).

In my tiny perfect universe of wisdom I would propose changing the rules so that instead of giving orders, a single unit within 6" of a captain or general may counter charge or support fire a charging enemy.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 10:34:05 AM »
Secondly, on a fluff basis it's stupid that hey Empire can improve combat performance just by shouting at their men, but the elves with thousands of years experience never thought of this.

This is my main concern too. But then again, the game is full of army-specific ideas and rules that really should have circulated in the world. For example, most armies should be able to try and ambush the enemy army, that tactic is more ancient than warfare; most armies should be able to use longbows if they so choose; Orcs should be able to use halberds; etc etc.

Then again, when the 9th Age team starts to get their fluff together, maybe they've worked these games rules into the background.

It also calls for more bookkeeping on how many orders were issued and to whom (sort of an additional magic phase).

I've printed the Orders on small pieces of paper, similar to Magic cards and some other prevalent situational rules. Didn't find using them problematic.

-Z

Offline Herrn

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 03:07:33 PM »
Does Brace for impact order stack with spears fight in rank? In horde 5 ranks fighting :) remembering spears have armor piercing 1 Now and lethal blow vs cavalry.. Put in a warrior priest for some hatred and blessing rerollable.. Yummy

Offline SorenJ

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2016, 06:35:03 PM »
Normally special rules do not stack, i.e. you cannot gain Frenzy twice and since Fight in Extra Rank is a special rule I would say no. The exception here would be armour piercing rules which generally do stack, but this is usually mentioned explicitly in the rule.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2016, 09:48:49 PM »
Fight in Extra Rank is a Special rule that stacks. Refer to the exact wording in the special rules.

So yes, you can get five ranks in a Spearman horde to strike.  :-)

Problem is, since heavy infantry is limited to max 50 models, and since squishy men die easily to ranged fire, it's highly unlikely that you will benefit from giving this order to your Spearmen. As I see it, this order is excellent in allowing non-horde units to add serious punch. Use it for Halberdiers or Greatswords in small units.

-Z

Offline Army of Hochland

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2016, 12:42:23 PM »
I enjoyed the dynamic the orders gave you, a boost to average soldiers often fighting against elite warriors.

I also think it's to give cpatains and generals a boost and make them worth taking, rather than armies ignoring them in favour of arch-lectors like they did in 8th. Their does seem great flexibility in the Empire 9th age list, and I enjoyed the couple of games I used them in.