home

Author Topic: AoS Escalation League in OKC  (Read 3217 times)

Offline SoonerSox

• Members
AoS Escalation League in OKC
« on: August 01, 2015, 01:13:51 AM »
I mentioned in an earlier thread that there was going to be an AoS escalation league at the Oklahoma City GW store. It starts tomorrow and here are the "official" rules:

"August: 5 Warscrolls. No more than 1  hero and 1 monster or hero.
September: 8 Warscrolls (no limitations)
October: 12 Warscrolls (no limitations)
November: 15 Warscrolls (no limitations)
December: Top 6 "Playoff" to determine overall winner.

League Scoring:
- You can receive credit for up to 4 games per month (notice this is for playing, not winning). 1 point for August games, 2 points for September games, 3 points for October games, and 4 points for November games.
- Variable points for playing in the monthly special events. All details on the events will be posted on the store's facebook page.
- You can receive 1 point for up to 5 purchases per month. Bonus points will be awarded for large purchases (exceeding $250 during the month).
- You can receive 1 point for painting up to 5 new purchases per month. These points will be awarded for painting models that were purchased during the league.

Top 6 Playoffs: The top 6 participants will play in 3 playoff style events to determine the overall league champion.

Army Composition:
1. Army composition is made with the standard AoS rules.
2. Rosters can be changed out freely between games. This is to encourage trying new things! Gentlemanly rules for not tailoring an army towards an opponent too much apply!

A note about Age of Sigmar: Because of the nature of Age of Sigmar, specifically the lack of points values for a "balancing mechanic", remember that you don't get points for winning games. If you quickly find that no one wants to play, or more than likely, is conveniently too busy to play you, perhaps ask yourself why this is. Ensuring that both people playing have fun is imperative to this game and our community. So eyeball your armies as best you can, talk to your opponent, and make sure you have fun!"

The point of the league is to win games for your faction, and the reward is bragging rights. I'm really looking forward to the league and am starting tomorrow's games with:

War Altar of Sigmar with Volkmar (1 hero and will act as my general)
Luthor Huss (2nd hero)
Steam Tank
3x Demigryph Knights (going to see about re-modelling them with Halberds instead of lances they currently have)
20x Greatswords (I love GS in AoS!)

I'll follow the Greatswords with the War Altar and Luthor and put the DGKs and Stank on each flank. I'm planning a game against Skaven but hope to also get a game against some Daemons to see how powerful the War Altar can actually be.

Offline The Real Rick Salamone

• Members
  • Kelly Clarkson Fan
Re: AoS Escalation League in OKC
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 03:03:42 AM »
My local GW store is also doing this and we are coming up on the second month of it. Without balanced list making (and to prove how stupid that was), I took the following army to week 1 (only restriction was one hero plus 2 scrolls with each capped at 20 MODELS):
Karl Franz with Gal Maraz
14 Reiksguard
20 Crossbowmen

I faced the new khorne guys in my first game. Let's just say that the knights and KF utterly destroyed everything they touched. The griffon alone was so good. The chaos guy even summoned bloodletters and they were nothing but a speedbump.

At the end, KF died when I rolled a 1 on some dangerous terrain hill, but the game was already over at that point.

I did feel a little bit bad for taking what I did because the game wasn't really fun for either of us, but I was trying to make a few points about just how stupid AoS actually is. Probably not the best sentiment going into a shop but the wound was very raw and I needed to take my anger out on someone. :)

Next time I get 4 scrolls...and i am wise to the fact that I can pick my force from literally any models i want. Maybe these 12 blood knights are looking pretty interesting...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
EEFL!
Eighth Edition for Life!

Join us at:

eefl.freeforums.net

Offline SoonerSox

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 05:31:02 AM »
I'm fairly certain there will be a guy playing Thanquol and I know the manager of the store is playing VC with Blood Knights, Vargheists, Grave Guard, Vampire Lord on the undead Dragon. If nothing else, AoS has gotten me to finally paint my War Altar! LOL

Offline Baron von Klatz

• Members
  • warhammer> All other works of mankind
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 05:32:26 AM »
SoonerSox,  great to hear about an interesting tournament like that! I heard of another of similar nature but they battled over the eight realms as well, it sounded really fun.

Good luck to your glorious soldiers and please tell us how it goes. More information to help crunch into future battle winning tactics. :wink:

Real Rick Salamone, agreed that characters are beasts in the new game, it's certainly best to bring your own or wear them down with shooting. How did your opponent fight btw? Did he all out charge you? I would like to know as maybe tactics can be devised for such a match up, something like using a elite unit wedge to seperate the character from his army and swarm him with heavy units (the bloodletters).
"No battle is ever meaningless for all life is merely death post-poned"
-elector count of the Empire.

Offline SoonerSox

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 05:51:37 AM »
I'm not sure how Malekith on a Dragon compares to Karl Franz on Deathclaw but I saw a unit of about 30 Storm Vermin backed up by a Doom Wheel and a Warpfire Thrower Weapon Team (this thing is rediculous) obliterate Malekith. The Dark elves were tabled on turn 4. That Skaven player also runs Ikit Claw. Between Ikit and the Warpfire Thrower, they can deal up to 9 automatic mortal wounds (no rolling for hits, wounds or saves) in one turn to anything within 8 inches. I always make the Warpfire Thrower my number one priority when playing against that guy. Luckily it's not too hard to kill.

Offline The Real Rick Salamone

• Members
  • Kelly Clarkson Fan
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 12:50:45 PM »
In the game we played there were no tactics. The two forces met in the middle and we threw dice. One thing I did well was moving up a wall of knights and when one died, I piled into that space with KF. All of this talk of super stuff being taken sounds like a kinda cheesy way to play though. I prefer games where soldiers win the battles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
EEFL!
Eighth Edition for Life!

Join us at:

eefl.freeforums.net

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2015, 02:42:42 PM »
I think this;

A note about Age of Sigmar: Because of the nature of Age of Sigmar, specifically the lack of points values for a "balancing mechanic", remember that you don't get points for winning games. If you quickly find that no one wants to play, or more than likely, is conveniently too busy to play you, perhaps ask yourself why this is. Ensuring that both people playing have fun is imperative to this game and our community. So eyeball your armies as best you can, talk to your opponent, and make sure you have fun!

should be printed on cards and just handed out silently to anyone who wails about a lack of balance or points ....
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2015, 05:59:33 PM »
I think this;

A note about Age of Sigmar: Because of the nature of Age of Sigmar, specifically the lack of points values for a "balancing mechanic", remember that you don't get points for winning games. If you quickly find that no one wants to play, or more than likely, is conveniently too busy to play you, perhaps ask yourself why this is. Ensuring that both people playing have fun is imperative to this game and our community. So eyeball your armies as best you can, talk to your opponent, and make sure you have fun!

should be printed on cards and just handed out silently to anyone who wails about a lack of balance or points ....

Aye!
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Dosiere

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2015, 12:05:13 AM »
It's too subjective.  Obviously if EVERyOnE doesn't want to play you that's a problem.  It was a problem in WFB too.  There was always that guy with the two hell pits and blah blah who just wasn't any fun to play.  He wasn't fun to play against though more because of how he played than what he put on the table. My question to you guys playing AoS is - does it even matter what your opponent puts on the table? 

That paragraph isn't about having fun, it's about eyeballing army composition.  If you're going to be doing that, you might as well just use one of the many fan made comp packets out there.  The AoS rules include the instant death mechanic for exactly this reason anyway.  It's for the two guys playing where one puts down an overpowering army, thereby giving the guy at a disadvantage a large handicap. 

I bring this up because it is happening a lot where AoS is being played as a pick up game.  You can have fun if you lose, right?  so why try to force someone else to play their army the way you want them to play it?  if I want to bring 10 cannons to a game why does that mean you have to get all butthurt about it?  You can bring 10 cannons too btw, or 20. 

One of the best things about AoS is the freedom from army composition rules.  But I would rather have an official comp system than have to figure out every single blessed game what my opponent thinks is a fair army for me to deploy.  Bottom line: if you're getting upset about losing a game of AoS maybe you're playing it wrong, and it's not your opponents fault for following the rules and balancing systems put into place by the game designers.  This game is an excuse to put whatever the hell you want on the table and roll a bunch of dice... That's it.  It's true you don't get points when you win, you also don't lose anything by losing.

Offline SoonerSox

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2015, 12:14:13 AM »
I played 2 matches  today both against Skaven. The first go around the opponent was playing more of a roleplaying "exploratory" force that was 2 blocks of around 30 clan rats, 1 block of about 20 Storm Vermin, A Grey Seer and Skaven Chieftain with Battle Standard. I technically probably could have used the sudden death rules since I had a total of 27 models. I didn't though and it definitely didn't matter. He was utterly destroyed in 4 turns. The War Altar is soooo good against Chaos. With the potential to do 18 ranged damage to one Chaos unit.... it definitely makes you feel like a bully.

The second game, he pulled out some big guns and played with a Doom Wheel, Grey Seer, 20 Storm Vermin, Hellpit Abomination and 3 Storm Fiends. I kept my same army and this one was much closer. I decisively won but after his army was wiped, I only had 3 Greatswords, the War Altar and Steam Tank left. Once again the War Altar wrecked his Skaven, I nearly had the Abomination dead on the 2nd turn but he pulled a 6 out of the hat on a 6+ save. The Abomination regens so once you get damage on it you need to concentrate on it. The Abomination also has a rule called too horrible to die which is nasty but luckily he failed that roll when I finally banished it to death. Storm Fiends are a nightmare as well the amount of ranged and melee attacks they get combined with 7 hitpoints (special armor increases it by 1) each, make them an everlasting wrecking ball. My Steam Tank obliterated his Doom Wheel before it got to do much. The Great Swords took out the majority of the Storm Vermin, My DGK's did not fair too well as they were holding up the Abomination and came out of that fight with 2 DGK left and both had 1 hitpoint left (one of those actually died but I rolled a 6 on the Shield of Sigmar from the War Altar and it saved it from dying). The Storm Fiends finished them off.

I can say that Luthor Huss really is not helpful at all. I should have read his rules more closely, there really isn't anything he can do to help since his spells duplicate things the War Altar does. I added him thinking of the Warrior Priest's healing ability. That would have come in alot more handy in that second game. Warrior Priest on foot is the way to go.

Offline Dosiere

• Members
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2015, 12:26:45 AM »
You know, I just realized reading your post luthor Huss has different prayers than the warrior priests on foot.  I think I actually prefer the warrior priest prayers to luthors.  They don't stack either as you were saying.  Interesting.

How is the steam tank? I expected that to be your all star but it sounds like the war altar is it. 

Offline SoonerSox

• Members
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2015, 01:05:36 AM »
The Steam Tank is really good and better than I first gave it credit for. Instead of just charging forward and barreling into a unit I've had much better success actually keeping it back just a bit (ideally 8 inches away to be able to use the Steam Gun) and concentrating on shooting then charging only when I think I can finish off the target. You definitely don't want it to be in a lengthy close combat where it starts losing effectiveness by getting damage. I think of it as a Great Cannon that doesn't need to be baby sat. When you do charge in make sure you have used "More Pressure!" in the hero phase because that is vital for rolling a good number of grind attacks if you don't get a good roll on the "Steel Behemoth" mortal wounds. And of course it goes great with a Warrior Priest on foot and or a Life Wizard.

The War Altar just seems to have so much packed into it. It shoots amazingly well and it's buffs are great and synergize with the aforementioned Warrior Priest. The War Altar can buff attacks while the Warrior Priest buffs wounding.

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2015, 11:33:02 AM »
Agreed, on the Steam Tank, and keep it well away from anything with poison attacks like Forest Goblin Spider Riders, or Arachnaroks.

Oh, and the Helstorm Rocket Battery has got a whole load better.

Offline SoonerSox

• Members
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2015, 03:34:41 PM »
Oxycutor I haven't used the rocket launcher yet but you are confirming my suspicion. I've had ideas to use it in the middle of a formation similar to what Barron has been posting since it has indirect fire just like the mortar.

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2015, 10:21:16 PM »
Seems to be an GW-Groningen (The Netherlands) escalation league to be started:

Build up an army worthy of Age of Sigmar status, and win rewards and bonuses whilst battling.

++++Building your army++++

+++‘Heroes’+++
You have 14 Wounds to select your Armies leaders for your start up army. Your leaders MAY be warscrolls with the HERO keyword on it, but must only consist of a single model. You may select one, two or any number of models within the 14 wounds allocation. Exces wounds are lost!

IMPORTANT NOTE: NAME YOUR HEROES!

++General++
Choose one of your Leaders as your General. This is your General for all campaign battles. Choose wisely

+++Bulk of your army+++
You have a pool of 40 wounds.

You must spend these 40 wounds on 3 non HERO warscrolls. No more. No less. Any excess wounds are lost.

One of these warscrolls can be appointed as the Generals Guard. As long as they are within 6” of the General they do not have to take Battleschock tests.

Name each unit!
PLAY GAMES!

Points system:

• Win a major victory: 1 VP
• Destroy a monster/warmachine of at least 8 wounds: 1 VP
• If a General slays an enemy General: 1 VP
• Your General survives the battle: 1 VP

+++Recruiting+++
At the end of each round your army has an opportunity to recruit .

Roll a 2D6 and add the following modifiers:

"Present arms" +2 points for each fully painted and based unit.
"Glory" +1 pt per battle fought
"Victory" +1 pt for battle won
"Fall in ranks" +3 pts for introducing someone to Warhammer Age of Sigmar
Buy a character model - +3 pts
Buy a Regiment +5 pts

Winning general gets his army displayed in the store cabinet.

Not sure what falls under recruiting
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989