home

Author Topic: 1st Empire list, 2000 points, any hints/tips/suggestions please?  (Read 719 times)

Offline Adam Sheppard

• Members
Here's a proper Empire list - a while back I was working on some concept ideas, but now I have my army book and am thinking various plans through.

How is this as a beginners army list - where can I improve it, etc?

Lords   

Wizard Lord: Level 4, Holy Relic, The Orb of Thunder & Dispel Scroll.   

Heroes   

Warrior Priest 1: Great Weapon & Heavy Armour.   

Warrior Priest 2: Great Weapon & Heavy Armour.   

Captain of the Empire: Lance, Full Plate Armour, Shield, Barded Warhorse, Doomfire Ring & Sigil of Sigmar.   

Core   

10 Crossbowmen.   

Handgunner Detachment: 5 Handgunners.

10 Handgunners - Marksman: Hochland Long Rifle.   

24 Swordsmen: Duellist, Musician & Standard Bearer.   

Halberdier Detchment - 10 Halberdiers: Shields.   

24 Swordsmen: Duellist, Musician & Standard Bearer.   

Halberdier Detchment - 10 Halberdiers: Shields.   

5 Knights: Preceptor.   

10 Free Company: Sergeant.   

Special   

Great Cannon 1.

Great Cannon 2.   

Mortar.

Rare   

20 Flagellants: Prophet of Doom.   

1986 (14)

Plan (as an example: left-right, from flanks)

Handgunner detachment, facing forward. Job = protect Crossbowmen

Crossbowmen, slightly angled inwards. Job = kill enemy fast cav & War Machine hunters.

2 Cannons - angled inwards. Job = shoot nasty things - monsters, Knights, ranked units etc.

Halberdier Detachment. Job = help out Swordsmen by combo-charging.
Swordsmen + Priest 1. Job = go against enemy ranked units.

Flagellants + Wizard Lord. Job = to be a pain in the behind, holding to the last man, and thus hopefully keeping Wizard fairly safe.
(behind Flagellants) Free Company. Job = place for Wizard to flee to as Combat approaches.

Swordsmen + Priest 2. Job = go against enemy ranked units.
Halberdier Detachment. Job = help out Swordsmen by combo-charging.

Mortar, angled for best line of sight. Job = try to hit massed enemy units, like Skaven blocks, thus supports Swordsmen.

(distance from Swordsmen) Knightly Order + Captain. Job = flanking enemy units & generally being annoying & killing things.

(far right flank) Handgunners. Job = help Knights out by shooting those trying to mob them.

What do you reckon then? I doubt it's particularly good, but it's a start, no?

Any advice really appreciated.

Offline Pistolier24

• Members
Re: 1st Empire list, 2000 points, any hints/tips/suggestions please?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 04:37:01 AM »
1st, if you have a captain, that's not on a pegasus, he might as well be a battle standard bearer.  It's silly not to.  Also, unless you're going by the models you have, you should probably mount your warrior priests.  Perhaps Dawn armor on one of your priests, or, to save you a horse, you can give one AoMI, and not worry about a model on foot.  Put the orb on one of your priests, and get another dispell scroll.

Drop the free company, or move them to detachments, 5 strong.  These are good for redirecting enemies.

Find a few points to make your knights S4, since you have another special slot.  It makes all the difference in the world.

Your state troops look very much like how i field them.  i like 2x25 swordsmen, both with 10 halbs, and 25 spears with 10 halbs.....filling in the second detachment with crossbows or free company.

Your specials and rare are all fine choices.  I'm glad you like the mortar!   :::cheers:::  Not enough mortar love, as far as i'm concerned, but i never leave home without it!

If you see a Griffon when you walk outside, you shoot that thing!  Shoot it twice in the face, because it isn't real!

Offline Adam Sheppard

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 12:33:20 PM »
The Captain was mostly taken to boost the power of the Knights a little, and to put the Doomfire Ring somewhere that the opponent is going to HAVE to worry about it - and thus hopefully some of the Priest prayers will get through. If he's a BSB, he can't take the Ring, something I really want to include, as it will boost my magic phase. Plus he gives the Knights MR1, helping to protect them a little.

If I put the Orb of Thunder on one of the Warrior Priests, I then can't afford either suit of armour - and I am not sure if I want them mounted, as I don't like having Cavalry models in Infantry regiments (plus the foot models are sooo awesome) - so not sure how to make that work (unless one just goes under-armoured?). However, another Scroll would be nice, I grant that.

The Free Company were there to give the Wizard somewhere to run to when trouble starts, and back up the Flagellants in a fight (flank charge of Free Company + frontal charge/holding of Flagellants should be nasty). Could loose them to free up points I guess.

I had been debating using Spearmen instead of Swordsmen, just for looks - but went for the better fighters, in the end - because I would give the Spears shields, and there would be no change in points costs, but the Swordsmen can hit/not get hit better than the Spearmen. Is this correct thinking, or does having a second rank of attacks become useful?

Oh, and also I'm thinking of dropping the Shields on the Halberdiers, as it frees up several points, and I don't see them being all that useful in the long run - I could go HW & Shield, but anything attacking the Halberdiers directly is likely to be winning via Rank Bonus, etc, and all 10 are going to flee/die anyway.

Yeah, I like the Mortar, but I'm wondering, having read the tactica article on this site, would a Helstorm Rocket Battery be more accurate, provided I learn to guess well?

Oh, and just as a fyi: I'm going for a slightly mish-mash theme: The mortar/Helstorm and Handgunners are coming from the Sharpe series (hence the Marksman = Hagman), the Wizard Lord comes from Wheel of Time books (Rand), and the rest is based on a fanatical Empire army with lotsa priests. Writing a backstory to make all this fit is trickier, but will probably be from one of the border states (no-one really knows what goes on there), or Weissenland (as the area is contested, no-one can say "Your bloke isn't from there" etc)

Cheers for the help so far, looking into making some of the changes.

Offline Pistolier24

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 09:49:51 PM »
The bsb most definately can take the ring still.  He may not be able to take a magic banner, but he can surely take a regular banner and get the +1 combat resolution, as well as giving reroll break tests to all within 12"

Definately keep the shields on the detachment.  They help for ranged attacks, and won't may help to not give up combat resolution on countercharges.

Right now, neither of your Priests have magic items.  One of them can take AoMI and still have 25 points kicking around if he needs it and the other can take the rod and enchanted shield if you give him just a handweapon.  Ring of Volans might be nice on one of your other priest to help support your magic phase.

Swordsmen are in most cases better than spearmen.  Spearmen are nice if you know who you are playing (T3)
If you see a Griffon when you walk outside, you shoot that thing!  Shoot it twice in the face, because it isn't real!

Offline cal von random

• Members
  • infantry and faith , the might of the empire
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 10:01:53 PM »
sorry to rain on your parade, but the wizzbang can't join the flaggelents- he's not unbreakable :icon_cry:
visit northwestwarriors.org.uk
the lakedistricts home of warhammer.

Offline cal von random

• Members
  • infantry and faith , the might of the empire
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 10:02:46 PM »
sorry just realised the cheesey pun :icon_confused:- didn't mean to :icon_biggrin:
visit northwestwarriors.org.uk
the lakedistricts home of warhammer.