home

Author Topic: GP's 40K Log  (Read 6928 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
GP's 40K Log
« on: July 19, 2009, 02:26:32 PM »
Preface ... an amendment to original post ...

This thread is GP's 40K Log, and it is intended as a location for GP to share his 40K experiences and receive feedback regarding gaming, painting, terrain building, and perhaps even a few stories, too.

- - - - - - - - - -

It's official.  Played in my first 40K game yesterday, the 3rd scenario of this years Lucky 13s campaign. :::cheers:::

My warboss and nobs were camped out in a the building to the left of our headquarters building and across from an objective in "no mans land".  Borrowed a war wagon for my boyz, and this was supported by two wartrakks and a skorcha, all using the headquarters for cover, but ready to protect it if needed.  My 3 defkoptas had nine others supporting it and were held in reserve.

After a couple of space marine vehicles pounded a group of gretchins and their zap guns on top of the building, my nobs and warboss were attacked, but they went to ground and all ended up with only one wound each.  On the third turn the orks kept their heads up inorder to assault themselves, but 4 of the 5 nobs went down before the last joined the warboss in their attack on a vehicle.  They took out the enemy, but were then swamped by a space marine squad.  At the same time, the deffkoptas swooped in dropping bombs on another space marine squad taking out 4 of them before landing behind enemy lines to fire missles on tune 5 and 6, all shots aimed and a storm lord, but only managing to knock out to of it's weapons and one structural point.  The zap gun on the war wagon also managed a structural point on the same enemy tank before a stompa took it out.  At one point the two buggies got nailed by some deep striking terminators, and the scortchas weapon got hit and it ran around hiding to perhaps still be in position to help claim an objective, yet wasn't needed in the end.

At the other end of the table there was a very lage cinematic moment when a titan fired one of it's weapons and had some sort of critical hit.  The strike was so large, combining double sixes with another six, or something like that (forgive my newness at not knowing the specifics), and then 17 on three dice were rolled for a 17 inch radius killing area taking out lots of both sides forces in the area.

The game was 5 on 5 with 10,000 points per side.  Both sides had only two players with all models painted with at least three colors, including mine.  We used a meteor shower and a flanking attack as our strategic asset awards for the painting of the models.  Our side succeeded in eliminating the valkyrie after it landed, taking one of two objectives, and keeping our headquarters, so a successful day on the table top.

I picked up a trukk box, a nob box, and a pain boy for getting constructed, base coated, and at least three colors on for the next game.  Between now and then I'll try to get in a game or two to increase my familiarity with the rules.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 03:57:55 PM by GamesPoet »
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
Re: GP's 40K Log
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 01:31:28 AM »
That Nob box is fantastic.  You would do well to use it to modify your Black Reach Nobz.  Use all of the power klaws and a couple big choppas.  Getting the cash for a waaagh banner model or making one with the nobz would be essential too!

Phil
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 03:30:16 AM »
I haven't opened it yet, but I've heard it is a very good box of figures and bits.

I opened the trukk box and it remined me of why I don't like building models like that, too many parts.  Oh well.  I'll get it done, but definitely not my favorite part of the hobby.

I've decided that every 5 weeks I'll add something new to the army and build it up to 1500 points.  While I go, I'm going to focus on getting everything painted with at least 3 colors inorder to continually be entitled to a strategic asset for my side.  I'll likely work on other colors, shades, highlights, washes, etc., but going to only buy alittle bit each time to keep up with the painting.

Need to read the Ork codex more, too, and probably before assembling the Nobs.

By the way, wrote my first 40k story piece, too. :::cheers:::

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 04:26:24 PM »
Started constructing the trukk on Friday, did some more yesterday, big ugh.  Basecoated all the parts without it being fully built  because it seems this will make painting easier.

Still haven't opened the nobs nor the painboy, but picked up a killa kan the other day because it looked like there were two inside the blister pack.  Wrong, just one, but hopefully this one will be different than what is in the newer boxed edition.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 05:19:23 PM »
Back from vacation ... plan to assault the Nobs box, pain boy, and Killakan this weekend.  Need to do some more work on my trukk, too.  Did some reading of the Ork codex and counted up that I now have over 750 points of Orks.
Eventually I have some of these completely painted and I'll post them here.  (Heck, I need to eventually post some of my Empire figures over on my "GP's Painting Log", too. :icon_rolleyes: :icon_lol: )

I'm looking at adding 9 more deffkoptas to have enough for a Apocalypse formation (gets me an additional point towards my Lucky 13 total) and have some with different weapons for future use as well.  Does anyone know if the Deffkopta box has bits for the different weapons options :icon_question:

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 05:21:01 PM »
There's a Deffkopta box?
I thought he should act responsibly and just kill himself.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 06:52:13 PM »
Probably in my dreams. :icon_lol:

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 11:15:38 PM »
The deffkopta box is almost unusable.  With the advent of the plastic stuff from AoBR, the deffkoptas are not so good.  They cost too much, are hard to keep in one peice, and only have the big shoota upgrade (as far as I know).

Phil

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 01:04:22 AM »
Ah!  So I did see a deffkopta box one time, it wasn't a dream! :icon_lol:

Yes, I believe I saw them with big shootas.  I was wondering if they also had the mega-blasta, big bomm, or buzz saw options?

I could acquire some more from AoBR sets and make some conversions.  If there are kits that have big shoota, mega blasta, big bomm, or buzz saw bits, then I could obtain the parts I'd need to provide these other weapons. :icon_idea:

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 01:08:20 AM »
I know they don't include the other items, as in the boom and the buzz saw.  You do need to convert those.

Phil

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2009, 02:56:02 AM »
Ok ... game number 2 ... another Lucky 13s multi-player event ...

This time I had 8 nobs, a painboy with grot, and the warboss in a trukk, along with 3 Deffkoptas, 18 boyz, 2 big shootas, and two more nobs.  I got assigned two stompas and a plusa rocket!

The boyz lined up in a building near our sides bastion.  The stompas in front and off to the other side.  We'll call one blue, and one red.  We had first turn, but the red stompa was ordered back because of some sort of strategic aseet or something.  The blue one got into battle, and on turn three exploded, apocalyptically.  The red stayed on board the whole game wrecking havoc where it could.  But the ork side still lost.  We got trounced, and good.  We picked up one of the auger objectives, but lost our command bastion, while the Imperials got it, held their's, and the other auger objective.  We actually stopped early, and I was the only one to vote to keep playing another turn.  Oh well, probably cause I still had most of my troops still on the table, and I'm new. :icon_wink:

I've really got the 40k bug.  Picked up some craters and defense line pieces for terrain on my boards.  Plus added 10 stormboyz, and Boss Zaggstruck.  Purchased the ork half of another AoBR, plus another AoBR set, since I'm trying to build a formation of 12 deffkoptas.

Planning to introduce one of my nephews to the space marines.  I might even play in an upcomming team campaign event in a local store, too. :icon_biggrin: :::cheers:::

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 04:30:39 PM »
Played in a 3rd Lucky 13s campaign event.  It was the fifth installment.  My army was chosen to hold the far left flank where the brunt of the enemy attack came.  My Warboss/Nob/Painboy/Trukk fought valiently taking heavy casualties and having to retreat, but the basic boyz unit held the objective at the end, while the deffkoptas didn't take any casualties.  Got to use another borrowed stompa as well.  The game was conceded after turn three, so perhaps the objective would have been taken and the defkoptas would have had casualties if the game had continued, but we were giving the good guys a beating in the center and on the right flank.

Also, I did sign up for the campaign event, and played four games so far with a 0-3-1 record at this point, but losing only one tile of three during the tile resolution phase.  If all tiles are lost, then the only way I can get back onto the tile map is via a win with a planet strike game, and then a positive tile resolution.  With only a two or three more weeks to go, it is becoming less likely that I'll encounter this.  My losses came against Orks (I'm fighting as a mercenary ork on the good side), Dark Eldar, and Orks, and the draw was against Tau.

Anyway ... here is what I started working on this past weekend.

This is obviously the beginning of a ruined building.  Still need to create the details and paint it.  The idea came from a tutorial called "How to Make a Warhammer 40K Building" by MiniwargamerDave on the MiniWargaming site.  I used about half of a 20" by 30" piece of foam board, drew out the pattern.  The front is about 10 inches long, as is the side without any windows, while the other side with windows is about 8 inches long.  This has been set up to fit on what I plan to be a 12"x12" square base.

My ruined building is a bit larger than the one shown in the written tutorial, and it is actually quite stable even without the planned base.  Once I add some more details, like some wooden posts out of balsa, maybe some window sills, maybe even a partial ledge as the remains of a roof, this will provide some additional weight to it and perhaps I won't add a base at all.  Yet then again, once I've created some battle damage to the structure, the weight will be less. :icon_lol:

I also made the three sides from one piece, scoring the corners quite a bit, but not cutting all the way through, and enough to bend them to create a smoother look to the corners.  Then I just glued these together as I glued the edges of the two floors to the walls.  The glueing was a bit tricky, and I needed to be patient for several minutes while holding everything in place, and then used a large rubberband overnight to continue letting the glue set as well.

And the site mentioned above currently has a video accessible on it's main page for making sandbags that's worth checking out, too. :icon_cool:
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 05:19:41 PM by GamesPoet »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2009, 04:30:05 PM »
Got my first 40K win yesterday! :icon_biggrin: :icon_cool:

The mission was "capture and control", forces were deployed as in "dawn of war".  This was against the same Tau player where I got the draw earlier in the campaign event.  And I had played this deployment scenario in my first game with the "anniliation" mission, against orks with a loss.  The Tau player went first, and certainly didn't take to the center of the table like what happened in the game vs. Orks.

On his side of the table from my left to right were a ruined building area with a small space inbetween a chunk of very tall blocky rocks, and then the other side was completely free and clear from the center to the right side.  In front of the ruined building area was a system of barbed wire fences.  On my side of the board, left to right, was a tall ruined building with medium sized 2 storied fortified bunker diagonally forward form the tall building.  Then there was a decent amount of space and horizontally across form the bunker was a ruined building with plenty of area on the first level that didn't have windows.  Behind that buildiing was a crater area but with passage possible between the two, and then a 2 story ruined building in the far right corner area.  He placed his HQ objective point in the middle of the ruined his  building area and then put two fire warrior teams infront.  I placed 20 boyz in the bunker to protect HQ objective there. And a unit of 10 shoota boyz in the building with out many windows, more as a speed bump if possible.

The Tau rolled on with some heavy shooty thingers on foot and marker lighters in the small space between the ruins and the big blocky rocks, and two vehicles carrying fire warriors in the open space beyond the rocks.  My unit of 5 deffkoptas moved in mass, flat out to the corner of the center building, and my other unit of 4 in line, flat out to provide a screen for my trukks.  The nob trukk w/warboss moved up along side the bunker and not fully behind the screen, while the 'ard boyz trukk moved along side it to the right and fully behind the screen.

Mistakes by me were not putting both fully behind the screen and not finding a way to give that second unit of koptas a 5th guy.  On Tau's 2nd turn he caused the nobs trukk to blow up and the 4 koptas had one casualty causing a break test that they failed.  Meanwhile, his two vehicles didn't try to move in a direction to take out the shoota boys hiding in the center ruin, and so on my 2nd turn they stayed hiding while I declared a waagh.  The nobs came up to a fire warrior squad in the ruined building area and took most of them out just by firing, the rest in close combat excpet two that fled.  The ard boyz truk moved, unload the boyz, and assaulted his two heavy walking things along with the five defkoptas who fired and assaulted as well.  His unit took casualties and fled.  My fleeing koptas rallied.

Third turn, he moved one of his vehicles behind the tall blocky rocks dropped out his fire warriors and proceeded to pulverize the ard boyz and they fled, as did my koptas who had taken some hits as well.  In jumped some stealth suits and his crisis suit command team.  My nobs clamored deep into the ruins, and charged his 2nd fire team causing enough damage for a panic test and they fled, and I now had his HQ objective.  My ard boyz trukk moved back towards the shoota boyz just in case, and they missed the  stealth suits.  While my storm boyz deepstruck behind the stealth suits and his command team.  My fleeing other fleeing koptas rallied and the other 3 moved forward to support them and fire at his command team, but only one wound went unsaved.

4th turn, he split his fire on the slowly retreating ard boyz, and my nobs in the ruins elminating the former and doing nothing to the nobs when "feel no pain" from a pain boy worked very well.  My koptas all went down, too.  Then he decimated my storm boys with his command team and the stealth suits leaving only zagstruck remaining (and me wishing I hadn't of deepstruck them), while another set of suits dropped in as well.  The shoota boyz climbed into the trukk having succeeded in doing their job, although I hadn't expected to still have some of them, and moved off towards the bunker.  The nobs moved forward slightly to get into range to shoot and assault more fire warriors.  Zagstruck kicked rear on one squad of suits.

5th turn,  his firing did nothing to my nobs again, killed Zagstruck, and my boyz in the bunker took minimal damage, as they had for most of the game.  My nobs stayed put, the shoots in the trukk moved around to the back of the bunker to be out of site of most fire.  And the game ended with me havoing both HQ spots, on the roll of a 2.

Campaign record after 5 games in 6 turns so far ...Orks ... 0-2-2, DE ... 0-1-0, Tau ... 1-0-1, for a total of 1-3-1.  Hoping to still get in a game against Chaos Space Marines and Necrons if possible. :icon_cool:
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 05:22:21 PM by GamesPoet »

Offline McKnight

• Members
  • Its the No. of posts that make you a veteran-gamer
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2009, 06:24:31 PM »
More pics Mr Gamespoet. please:P

Too much to read for poor me:D
"Me? I'm practically perfect in every way!"- Rufas the eccentric.
Rufas had Two Ton Sally. I have Silicon Sally!
EuroBashes attended: 1

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2009, 08:09:27 PM »
Yes, I agree.  When I think back on the battle report above, it would have ben nic eot have some pictures.  Perhaps I'll get into the store very early one day, when almost no one is around, and set up the terrain as it was, and at least take a photo of that. 

Currently I've got 20 boyz with big shoota and nob guys, a pack of nobz with pain boy and warboss, a trukk, and 9 deffkoptas each painted with 3 colors on top of the primer.  I've also got another 20 boyz with their bigshoota and nob guys, 10 stormboyz and Zagstruck, and another 10 shoota boyz I'm working on.  Eventually, as I get more of the army fully painted, I'll take some pictues of them and post.

I'm contemplating what I'm going to make for a looted vehicle next, and would like to add another trukk, a war wagon, and someday ... a stompa!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2010, 01:09:28 AM »
 :icon_lol:  Interesting to see my last post on this thread ... its been 3 months or so, and I've picked up, built, and started painting another trukk, got what I need for a looted vehicle, bought a battlewagon, and ... picked up a stompa on sale!

Yesterday started playing in another campaign event with a multi player game that included five players on both sides with the Imperium trying to cross the board in scenario where those trying to cut off the Imperials had to fight there way through jungle terrain.  I was bummed that I had forgotten to bring a digital camera when I saw how much effort was put into making the jungle terrain, but I hear that it will be used again as the campaign moves forward and I'll try to share some photos of this at some point.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2011, 12:36:14 AM »
I know this topic is old, but now that W-E has 40K area thats been created, can I get this thread moved to that location?

- - -

Small Update:

Probably have accummulated 3,000 points of Orks, including a stompa, a battlewagon, 2 looted wagons, 2 trucks, 9 deffkoptas, a couple of nob squads, and bunches of boyz, including a squad of shootas, and a squad of storm boyz.  Most of these have been based black and have first coats of green, brown, and metal, some have orange, and the warboss is the closest to being completed, but all need more paint.

I've also got that ruined building shown further back almost done and been helping a nephew out on another.  Meanwhile, started work on some space marine trenches and small bastions that can be made into different heights, but these need more work, too.  Recently started creating some Space Marines, constructing some squads with a nephew.  He currently wants to do White Scars, and I'm likely doing Mentors, although I have ideas for my own chapter as well.

Need to make more of an effort on these and then get some pictures posted.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 01:07:01 AM by GamesPoet »

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2011, 12:58:54 AM »
You got it.  Just PM me or one of the mods if you spot any other 40k threads to be moved.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2011, 01:09:12 AM »
Thanks!  And if I see others, I'll send a pm.  Glad the 40K area has been created, too. :::cheers:::

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2011, 04:21:19 PM »
Saw the Grey Knights Coteaz model yesterday, and liked it!  Almost bought my first Finecast model, and it didn't even see any blemishes.   :icon_eek:

Decided to hold off because I have too many other projects I'm working on, and need to spend some more time on my Ork army, my Mentors (although some of those Grey Knight figures, including Coteaz, might work out well for that chapter), and getting ready to help a friend out with his Space Wolves.  And with rumors of Tau coming next year, I might turn towarrds making some of them at that point.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 10:35:39 PM by GamesPoet »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2011, 11:01:22 PM »
Well its official ... bought the Coteaz figure.

Its my first "fine"cast purchase.  No overly noticeable flaws, alhthough the hourglass is missing one very small corner.  Beyond that, there are some bubbles that seemingly burst, perhaps when cooling, on the bottom of the cape and under his left fist.  The former will be hidden by the base once glued down, and the latter barely matters.

Looks like I might be doing an escalation league over the next few months.  Its going to be run at 4 levels, starting at 500 points for three weeks, and then goes up to 750, for three weeks.  The next level will be 1,000 and 1250 with the games counting as taking empty tiles on a campaign map.  The third will be 1500 and 1750 with the games counting to take other players' tiles, and the fourth will be 2,000 points per player with a campaign ending Apocolypse game.  Points are earned towards the standing in the league and for purchasing more troop slots.  Every win counts as 5 points (+1 for painting), a loss is d6 -1 (+1 for painting), and a draw is 2 (+1 for painting).  Starting composition is 5 slots, composed of 1 HQ and up to 4 troops.  Additional force slots can be purchased as follows: troops 2, elite 6, fast attack 6, heavy 10.  SCs are also 10, and no one else can purchase what you do, so that there is only one of each in the campaign.

This could be fun!  I've got quite a bit with at least three colors on top of a base, but plan to use this as a way to do more painting, as well as some new construction and converting, too.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 01:06:34 AM by GamesPoet »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2011, 01:22:43 AM »
Draft of 500 points of Orks ...

Warboss, Power Claw, Twin-linked Shoota, Heavy Armor               85

Riding with 11 Boyz, Ard Boyz, Big Shoota, Trukk w/armor             160

10 Boyz w/shootas, Big Shoota, Nob w/armor, big choppa             85

12 Boyz, Big Shoota, Nob w/armor, big choppa, Trukk w/ armor     142

TOTAL      472
Points Remaining     28

Contemplating giving the Nob in the Trukk with the boyz a power claw instead of the big choppa, which leaves me with 8 points for ammo runt for Warboss, and boss pole for Nob w/12 Boyz.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2011, 03:13:42 AM »
Went with this list instead ...

Warboss, Power Claw, Twin-linked Shoota, Heavy Armor, Ammo Runt  88
10 Ard Boyz, Big Shoota, Trukk w/armor                                             150
10 Boyz w/shootas, Big Shoota, Nob w/armor & big choppa                85
20 Boyz, 2 Big Shootas, Nob w/armor, Power Claw, Boss Pole            175

TOTAL      498

- - -

Played three 500 point games, wins vs. IG and Orks, a loss vs. Black Templars.

The IG player had 3 chimeras, 1 regular squad, 1 vet squad, and 1 command squad.
The Orks had 1 choppa mob w/warboss and nob, and 2 shoota mobs.
The BT had 2 neophyte troops w/1 Initiate each, and 1 squad (maybe neophytes as well) with a guy carrying some sort of a grenade weapon and some varied weapons, all 3 units riding in drop pods.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 03:22:04 AM by GamesPoet »

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2011, 10:02:57 PM »
The BT grenade is the holy hand grenade!  A decent weapon and quite cheap.

Good job too!  BT are a tough fight for orks.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2011, 10:40:57 PM »
Thank you.  Surprised myself a bit, and both my wins came down to the end.  Its good when small choices can build a slight edge.

The BT player seems to be one of the better players in the area.  Others have been known to avoid playing him, but in losing, we can learn, and I did. :icon_cool:
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 10:43:09 PM by GamesPoet »