home

Author Topic: What Miniatures Have You Bought Lately???  (Read 3068 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
What Miniatures Have You Bought Lately???
« on: June 29, 2022, 12:23:49 PM »
What miniatures have you bought lately :icon_question:

Went in for some Landsknechts from Warlord Games.  Had put off making this purchase for a good while.  Bought one box of the plastic pikemen and handgunners, and their various metal pikemen and handgunner packs, plus their officer packs, the dog handlers, and a larger handgun with crew.

This will give me 3 units of pike, and 1 unit of handguns or 2 skirmishing units of handguns for Pikeman's Lament. Plus plus will have the big handgun on legs with crew and some dogs to protect it.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2023, 01:13:57 PM by GamesPoet »
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
Re: What Miniatures Have You Bought Lately???
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2022, 05:47:27 PM »
Picked up some Wargames Atlantic [Sci Fi French inspired heavy weapons](https://spikeybits.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/cc3f6b25-grognard-heavy-weapons-group-feature.jpg) and a bunch of Cadian Troops to do a big kitbash project based on my regular discord crew thats been fun. Making a model up for everyone, and then those of us close are going to have a series of Kill Team/Battle Royal fights with them.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2022, 01:41:31 PM »
Five old, plastic Bretonian knights. I'm in the midst of stripping the numerous thick layers off them

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2022, 12:39:25 AM »
Couple of weeks ago I got 4 of the old, metal halflings off eBay. They're the 2 swordsmen and 2 spearmen from waaay back when, just need to get hold of the bowmen and command now.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2022, 04:46:17 PM »
Bought a bunch of older metal models from eBay the other day. Sold off most (LotR), but kept a 6th ed Helblaster crewman, two 90's Waywatchers and two 90's Dryads. Gotta love the older designs in metal.  :-)

Also acquired a couple of old Foundry/Grendel resin & metal bipedal armored walkers, AT-ST style, and one smaller mech with wings (?). Some serious metal chunks, and good detail too. Gonna use them with my 90's Warzone models for a sci-fi setting of my own.  :icon_biggrin:

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Syphon

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2022, 05:29:25 PM »

Now go! Ride towards the sun atop these noble steeds
You're our spandex heroes, now fullfil your destinies
And so we turned and rode beyond the castle walls
with shiny codpiece armour that doth cradle our chivalrous balls

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2022, 11:05:05 PM »
An army of ogres

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2022, 02:25:11 PM »
Been selling off some of my collection to fill holes in others.

- Paid a hefty price for some Epic 40k Ork stuff.
- Finished off my Dropzone Commander armies by grabbing a Resistance starter set and some scenery.
- Picked up the old limited edition Army Standard Bearers from the 6th edition era army boxes (the big ones) for the Empire and Orcs.
- Empire Knights box set. So when I first got into WFB, I bought some hand me down models which I cleaned up the best I could to form a 5-man Knight unit. I wasn't super thrilled with them, but they filled in the gaps so to speak. Well, since I have been on a tear about building collections around starters, I decided to build my 6th ed starter Empire and Orc armies around their early Battalion sets, which really only means adding a few models to the starter ones, and in the case for the Empire, I needed 8 knights. Well, hunting down 3 more knights in good shape seemed to be more work than I wanted to put in, and since I wasn't super happy with my originals, I just decided to by the box of 8 new and start over.

So making this:

« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 02:29:48 PM by KTG17 »

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2022, 01:52:42 PM »
^ I'm forever kicking myself for not picking up more of those when i had the chance.
In other news, i'm turning British Bolt action troops into the cast of a certain sitcom about the Home Guard DONT PANIC

Offline Syphon

• Members
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2022, 04:11:20 PM »
^ I'm forever kicking myself for not picking up more of those when i had the chance.
In other news, i'm turning British Bolt action troops into the cast of a certain sitcom about the Home Guard DONT PANIC

Did you know that Arnold Ridley, who played private Godfrey, was Daisy Ridley's great-uncle?
Now go! Ride towards the sun atop these noble steeds
You're our spandex heroes, now fullfil your destinies
And so we turned and rode beyond the castle walls
with shiny codpiece armour that doth cradle our chivalrous balls

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2022, 01:06:49 PM »
^ Indeed i did
Today i started work on
Senile Butcher
Ancient Medic
Feisty undertaker
Silly Juvenile AND
Black marketeer
I'm disapointed in the lack of short, podgy officers for the range but I've noticed several 3P companies make them.

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2022, 01:23:05 PM »

Did you know that Arnold Ridley, who played private Godfrey, was Daisy Ridley's great-uncle?

Pretty sure Jonesy was also at the time played by a guy who was nowhere near as old as his character or the rest of the cast :icon_question:

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2022, 01:56:16 PM »
Thats what i find amusing and confusing at the same time. Clive Dunn was in his early 40's, but he was playing an aged campaigner whose age often makes me scratch my head.
In the second or third episode, Jonsey's dad appeared. Yet in another episode, he's bragging about being with General Kitchener at Khartoum

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2023, 01:08:53 PM »
Went to a hobby convention a couple weeks back.

A company called "Things from the Basement was there with a booth.  He mostly does laser cut buildings, and there's some exceelnt kits for use with historicals and fanatsy.  I strongly recommend him, his speed and service are excellent ...

https://www.thingsfromthebasement.com/ .... but I digress.

At the convention, and his booth he was selling some boxes of figures by an outfit called "Dungeons & Lasers".  They have kits of some 60 figures to a box for about a $1 a figure.  These are very good sculpts, and come it bits that can be glued together, and might be very good for those who are into converting and such.

I picked up a kit called "Townsfolks Miniature Pack" which is 62 figures of glorious fantasy figures.  Half the box are various town guardsmen, including 3 on horse, swordsmen, halberdiers, spearmen, archers, crossbowmen ... cool stuff!   These can probably be used for medieval historicals,  too.  Plus they provide a bunch of bases that have cobble stone street patterns on them and these are a wonderful addition to the kit.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2023, 02:03:34 PM »
What does everyone think of GW current kit designs?
I just bought a box of Imperial Navis troopers and the new IG upgrade box and i find them to be needlessly complicated and very parts heavy.
I gave up on the Navis troops.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2023, 02:28:13 PM »
What does everyone think of GW current kit designs?
I just bought a box of Imperial Navis troopers and the new IG upgrade box and i find them to be needlessly complicated and very parts heavy.
I gave up on the Navis troops.
Are you referring to the Navy Breachers from the recent Kill Team set with the Kroot?

Offline JAK

• Members
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2023, 05:26:01 PM »
I recently acquired a box of GW Blissbarb Archers – I wanted some Amazons and thought these would need less surgery.

I suppose the kit sculpting is done digitally as it is very fine in places compared to past GW offerings and allows unconventional joins to be created to create interesting poses. This is all well and good but as Rowsdower says it is ‘needlessly complicated’ and I’m finding the thinness of parts makes them difficult to get a good joint when gluing together. I gather from a local GW store that this kit has caused problems for customers and staff alike, to build.

As a converter I would never complain about a kit being parts heavy, the more parts the merrier, but this new idea of fixed poses is making converting a non-starter.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2023, 06:18:52 AM »
I was going to turn the Navis troops into a gag army based on a kids fire safety puppet show. I've put them on the back burner [not a pun] until i can figure out how to best paint them.
My biggest gripe about minis in long coats [regardless of what range they're from] is minis with coat tails that need to be painted seperatly.
I.E
Dragon used to make a 1/35th LSSAH figure set with four minis [3 of which] had coat tails that needed to be painted separately
In recent years, GW has made several kits with the same problem. I've given up on my Foreign Legion inspired I.G army as the DKOK troops i was using all have coat tails which need to be painted on the spure while there are too many specific parts which only fit certain figures.

HALF the Skitari troops i've amassed in recent years I've put aside as not only is there the same problem with the f***ing coat tails but half the legs dont fit with half the torso's too well

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2023, 11:09:44 PM »
These descriptions remind of how GW made the High Elfs in the WFB elfs vs skaven starter set.

By the way, found the website page of Things From The Basement for those Dungeons & Lasers fantasy figures ...

https://www.thingsfromthebasement.com/store/c52/Archon_Studio.html

My box was the Towns Folks set, there's an adventurers set, plus two different giants.

At a approximately a $1 per figure, kind of hard to pass them up.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2023, 05:53:48 AM »
The other day, bought a 40K 2023 Chaos Battleforce box.  Uh oh. :icon_lol:

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2023, 09:51:00 PM »
Got 5/6 of the metal Flagellants earlier this week, just need to pick up the last one to complete the set.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2023, 01:17:36 PM »
I screamed with joy when i noticed the Steel Legion was up for pre-order but nearly had a heart attack when i noticed the prices
$110.00 AUD for ten men. :Ohmy:
Screw that. Talk about inflation

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2023, 02:12:04 PM »
Ouch!  I'd heard the news, although not the price either.

Glad I got some squads further back just before they discontinued them.  I might try to pick up some of the ancillary pieces though.

- - -

In the meantime, picked up a bunch of early WW1 French (Great War figures) and Germans (Empress miniatures).  That latter are much better quality of sculpts and little to no clean up of the figures is needed.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2023, 12:22:20 AM »
Its not really a "bought" but I traded money for it so I'm counting it.

A buddy recently got out of warhammer and traded/gave/sold all his stuff to a second buddy. That buddy (while thrilled) only cared about one of the three armies. I thought he'd sold the other two, but when I was visiting the hometown over the weekend he surprised me with 1 of them in a box. In his mind, he didn't think that one should be sold outside of the group. its the one Buddy 1 used for over a decade and that we all played hundreds of games against. But Buddy 2 had no space to keep it, so he was passing it on to me. I didn't want to take a whole army for free, so I gave him some cash for it and he kicked half the cash back to Buddy 1. This keeps the army in the "circle", and if Buddy 1 ever changes his mind its available for him to reclaim.

And thats the story of how I got 2000 points of High Elves by surprise. Its a pretty solid army, although pretty beat up from spending the last few years in a box. I need to dig up my bitz to replace some weapons. Somehow 5 swordmasters all lost their swords. But its a fun mix of models from 6th-8th edition.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2023, 02:51:02 AM »
Great story, you're awesome, and upgrading is good. :icon_cool: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::