home

Author Topic: Hobby Goals 2023 !!!  (Read 1886 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Hobby Goals 2023 !!!
« on: January 19, 2023, 09:22:54 AM »
A new year has begun!

1.  Back to this from 2021 & the minimal effort in 2022 ... get as many of my Wars of the Roses figures painted as possible.

2.  Also back from 2022 ... finalize my hobby website so I can start hosting my own pictures on it, and maybe even posting pictures here.

3.  Finished a 2nd unit of Genovese crossbows on foot.

4.  Finish the 2021 project of unpacking boxes of miniatures and other hobby related stuff.

5.  Play at least as many miniature games than 2023 as was done in 2021 and 2022 ... 26.

6.  Another back from 2022 ... play at least 1 board game solitaire, and equal my 2021 count for in person board games of 7.

7.  Continue painting 28mm Napoleonic cav, start horse artillery, and maybe get some more infantry painted, plus rebase some infantry purchased last year.

8.  Revise my Campaign-In-A-Day for Snappy Nappy, and take it to a national convention.

Do you have any hobby goals for 2023 :icon_question:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Sharkbelly

• Members
Re: Hobby Goals 2023 !!!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2023, 09:42:26 AM »
In a word, heroes! Cursed City and others so I have a nice stock of minis for D&D as well.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2023, 04:42:00 PM »
Hobby Goals 2023

1. Continue GMing the Tilean campaign, so that we get in some games asap (possibly some practice games for new armies first)
2. Continue working on campaign stories (3 in the works right now)
3. Continue working on figures and scenery for the campaign (see below)
4. Keep up campaign videos on a 1-3 week turnover (the next in the works right now)

Specific painting targets ...

Complete ...
18 halfling archers
2 halfling bolt throwers and crew
3 pirate cannon crew
Several 'civilian' ladies and gentlemen

Start and complete ...
30 Dwarf spears and 3 new handgunners
30 Landsknecht pike
18 Peasant militia
7 Wood Elf courtiers
9 Wood Elf war dancers
A giant parrot for Captain Kroll
5 elven Stag Riders
24 Bretonnian knights
24 Bretonnian foot
36 Skaven elite
Several houses, a church, various scenery pieces (indoors and outdoors)

I'm gonna be busy!

Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2023, 01:36:54 PM »
The local, independant games shop is closing for the umpteenth time.
I bought the old Ulric priest 2 pack from the deceased estate collection they obtained.
I'm unsure if i should buy more of their stuff to pad out existing stuff.

My progress this year has been slow due to my busy night job

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2023, 11:37:26 PM »
I have a bunch of longer term goals I want to do.

1) Finish up the next stage of my groups long term campaign, wrap it up and move into the transition before the next campaign.

2) Participate in another online global campaign of some kind. There's a couple of options, might jump on the about to start Goonhammer one or something similar.

3) Reorganize and repack the collection. I do this every 5 years or so, but last time stumbled across a good method with some cheap dollarstore tackle boxes. I want to try and get every faction its own "box" so things are kept together. For the big forces, each "box" will be a subfaction. So my guard will be broken up by detachment, etc. I need to find a good way to keep bigger stuff like tanks or monsters. The current shoebox-with-tissue-paper just ends up in deep storage and I can never get it out in time.

For shorter terms I want to:
1) Finish building the Guard and Votann from Christmas.

2) Paint at least 50 guys within 6 months. Its not that hard a goal theoretically, but works been so busy I can barely touch anything.

Offline JAK

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2023, 09:03:28 PM »
GP - Don’t know if you plan a ‘Monthly Painting & Scenery Goals 2023’ thread but as I said in the 2022 one I can’t see me setting monthly target at the moment.

Other than ‘The Brush & Palette’ I don’t normally look at the other parts of the Forum so I’ve just come across this thread. Seems a good idea to list the possible things I might get done this year to be able to see what if anything I actually do achieve.

1) The photo is of the 11 projects I have started but not finished and go from needing to be built to being painted and based.

2) Since taking the photo I’ve found parts for 2 and bit dragons which I’m tempted to build (there is mention of dragons in Discworld so no excuse not to).

3a) I need to restore the photos destroyed and lost by Photobucket. These are older figures and may require a little repair so I’m going to take the opportunity to rebase them, (AoS style) onto round bases set in movement trays like my more recent figures. I’ll be ordering the bases to be collected at a gaming fair in a month or so's time.

3b) Rather than the cobble bases these will be a bit more rural so I need to work out what and plan to purchase necessary tufts etc. at above gaming fair.

3b) Once done will update or add to newer thread on Forum.

4) I have notes on a few other Discworld related military units that I could build so will be looking for figures to start them.

5) I have 40+ little bags each holding a figure and the name of a Discworld character related to the undead/lowlife of Ankh-Morpork; the Guild of Beggars, the Fresh Start Club, The Black Ribboners, etc. which was to be the next project after the City Watch back in the mid 2010s.

6) Unseen University was to have followed 5) but these are just notes at present.

7) I’ve been given an old 00 gauge engine and a couple of wagons, so I could model ‘Raising Steam’. I don’t have space for a model railway but I’ve been pointed in the direction of boxfile layouts. Basically these will hold a point and enough track to hold 2/3 small wagons with the track exiting through a hole/tunnel in the side of the box and so become a small vignette with a bit of movement. I need to get the loco tested to see if it’ll go first but I like the idea of a working Dwarf mine and if successful other boxes and vignettes could easily be linked together and more importantly stored when not in use.

Offline Grutch

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2023, 08:40:19 PM »
Yeah I posted in the wrong Topic..
Here's 2023 updated:
2023 Goals

Jan-Feb
4 Alternate models for my Assault Intercessor Kill Team
Assembled and ready for priming
Painting

12 Adepta Sororitas Novitiate Kill team
Cleaned and ready for Assembly

4 Alternate models for Deathguard Kill Team
Assembled and ready for priming

Kill Team Chalnath Terrain Set
1 Cleaned and ready for Assembly
I'm going to try to speed through this terrain set.  (Terrain is so soulcrushing to work on)

Long term goals:
2000 Points Black Templar Army
2000 Points Deathguard Army
2000 Points Adepta Sororitas Army
Boarding Action Terrain
Adepta Sororitas Battle Sanctum Terrain
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 09:22:46 PM by Grutch »

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2023, 02:40:32 AM »
I've nearly finished the last group of my Soviet sailors for my colossal Stalingrad display.
My current work hours are impacting on my hobby goals.
I'm also thinking of buying the new chaos beasts box set just to get my hands on some dragon ogres.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2023, 11:04:39 AM »
Flibble. Scratch the earlier list, campaign necessity means I now have 16 xbow and 9 pistoliers to paint before I get to the other stuff!
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2023, 12:00:30 PM »
I managed to make some mini dioramas for my

Offline Sharkbelly

• Members
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2023, 02:09:58 PM »
In a word, heroes! Cursed City and others so I have a nice stock of minis for D&D as well.

This project is off to a good start. I really wanted to build a racially and gender-diverse group of heroes, and the variety has been a lot of fun.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2024, 06:27:07 PM »
Updating for 2023 ...

1.  Get as many of my Wars of the Roses figures painted as possible ... failed, this stalled out due to time with #8 below.

2.  Finalize my hobby website so I can start hosting my own pictures on it, and maybe even posting pictures here ... failed again.

3.  Finished a 2nd unit of Genovese crossbows on foot ... failed.

4.  Finish unpacking boxes of miniatures and other hobby related stuff ... failed.

5.  Play at least as many miniature games than 2023 as was done in 2021 and 2022 (26 each year) ... surpassed my goal with a total of 32! :::cheers:::

6.  Play at least 1 board game solitaire, and equal my 2021 count for in person board games of 7 ... played only 5 for the 2nd year in a row.

7.  Continue painting 28mm Napoleonic cav, start horse artillery, and maybe get some more infantry painted, plus rebase some infantry purchased last year ... ... failed.

8.  Revise my Campaign-In-A-Day for Snappy Nappy, and take it to a national convention ... got it done, cahcoo! :::cheers:::

Additional hobby efforts last year included ... attending 6 conventions, creating a Lion Rampant scenario with scenery for Agincourt, creating scenery and figures for 2 World War One scenarios, and GMing Agincourt at 4 of the 6 conventions, 1 of the WW1 scenarios at 5 of the 6 conventions, and the second WW1 scenario at 1 of 6 conventions. :::cheers:::

Also got in a quarterly game with four friends locally which was an additional goal we set together.

How did you do with your hobby goals for 2023 :icon_question:
« Last Edit: January 09, 2024, 06:31:23 PM by GamesPoet »

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline b0007452

• Members
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2024, 06:40:06 PM »
Well, only came back into the hobby in  :icon_mrgreen:July/August… But this sounds like a great idea. I’d like to set a few for 2024:

1. Keep painting my Empire. Complete my Free Company, Swordsmen, Hellblaster, Pistoliers at least in 2024.
2. Paint my Redemptionists and Escher Necromunda gangs.
3. Paint my Necromunda scenery and sort my 3x3 gaming mat to run a cool campaign.
4. Run said Necromunda campaign and do my best to make sure all my mates have a good time.
5. Play at least 1x game of The Old World - To at least dip my toes in.

Great idea this thread GP  :icon_mrgreen:
:) My Slowly Growing Army of Bogenhafen - http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=44020 :)

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2024, 07:49:06 PM »
Hobby goals.

Finish an Old World Empire Army (Mainly just rebase my old 8th ed army and add some models)

Play 2 games of The Old World.

Go to the Eurobash

Offline JAK

• Members
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2024, 07:53:47 PM »
I’ve just re-read and looked at the photo in my post above and all I can say is that I am a total failure, not one of the things mentioned has been looked at, let alone started.

I’ve not really thought about projects for this year (2024) but what I’ve written above seems to be the type of things I might get round to doing.

The only change will be item 3) as I’m now more inclined to go with TOW bases rather than AoS.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2024, 01:46:55 AM »
Will set up a new thread for 2024!